[BTS] Will Willem eat my corn?

guermantes

Emperor wannabe
Quick question:

Will I in the not too distant future lose the corn to Willem's culture if I settle 1N of the warrior? I'm just beginning to win games on Emperor and I can't count on being able to get a wonder in there to keep his borders away and it must be Amsterdam's capital culture I am seeing there.

I already have two corn in the capital, so is it wiser to aim at settling between the gold and the cows?

Obviously, given there are no food resources in the fog yet to be cleared.

Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG

Amsterdam already poped borders once so it needs 500 culture.
Under normal conditions it's impossible to steal first ring tiles like that :)
So nopes 100% safe.

Where are all those xposts coming from :lol:
:wavey:

Last edited:
You should fine settling 1E of corn. He requires 2 border pops to encroach on that tile and even with a Holy city in Dam, that is a hard tile for him to overtake. Eventually with a monument, library and eventual religion you will just be fine.

I'm more inclined to kill someone rather than bother with worrying about a wonder to secure culture.

(He may settle that spot before you though, but it would be def be my target spot for settling)

Hey My! :D

It's first ring vs fourth ring.
I think it should be pretty safe even though it's a creative AIs capital.
If you get a monument or a library up there reasonable soon.
Between gold and cows is no good imho, in the middle of those 3 resources where you planned is probably correct!

Now, that corn perhaps isn't the most crucial thing, but if it was something you couldn't bear to lose at any cost, one option would be to settle one city 1W of the gold, and once city SW of the cows, that way, you would have two cities helping to keep that corn cultured.

Thanks everyone! I'll aim for getting all three in the first ring then. Hopefully Willem settles in another direction, otherwise he might well beat me too it.

Where are all those xposts coming from :lol:
:wavey:

I'm not sure I see what you see... :) what are "xposts"?

I'm not sure I see what you see... :) what are "xposts"?

Cross-posts....if you look at the time stamps of our posts, we three submitted posts within about 60 secs. :lol:

Once you get a border pop, Willem will have to generate over 20 culture per turn in that city after 500 culture to overtake your tile culture. Once you get a second, he will have to generate 40/turn. Your corn's pretty safe (unless he settles right on your borders or something silly).

The other thing to consider is that if you settle 1N of the Cow, you leave the door open for Will to settle a city 1W (or SW or NW) of the Corn at some later date. In which case he will almost certainly steal the Corn.

The AI pulls those stunts on me all the time.

Top Bottom