Windows 10

I would actually be fine with a metro-only interface to Win 9. What really bugs me is having to jump back and forth between the two interfaces and the fact that Metro often has duplicate applications of programs that are on the desktop and typically the metro apps have less functionality than the desktop versions. If they only had one set of applications and they had the full functionality of the desktop ones, I'd be happy with that. But after trying out some of the Metro app clones, I quickly learned there wasn't many apps on Metro worth using if there was a desktop version of the same thing.

That's the official github program. For work projects I typically use it, the github website and the command line at the same time. Program is particularly good for nicely viewing diffs, discarding files, creating and rolling back commits. For personal projects I'm exclusively web/command line Mercurial. (I just checked and I guess I have TortoiseHg installed, but I have no idea what anything in the UI does.)

I don't actually like Zune as a music player, I use foobar for all my actual music. Zune I only use on Win7 computers for the xbox music access.

The majority of people you know who use Windows 8 aren't at all typical. I worked out the numbers at some point before, the proportion of people on Win8 using third-party start menus are low single-digits. And if they're using a third-party start menu, they haven't been using the start screen for 9+ months, so unless they've just recently switched to a start menu after being early start screen adopters, you can absolutely discount it as adversity to change.

My handful of anecdotes for Win8 of tech-savvy people (me, all my tech-savvy co-workers at both my present and previous job) and non tech-savvy (my mother, father, sister, landlord) are all fine with the start screen.

Interesting, I didn't realize that was the official Github program. I've only ever used their website. The only Git project I'm really involved with uses a different Git hosting provider. I also use Mercurial for my personal projects.

For what it's worth, one of the people in my small sample of real-life Windows 8 users has been using the Metro start screen for 9+ months and still doesn't like it; two have been using Start menu replacers, and the other likes the Metro Start screen. There's one other person I know who uses Windows 8, but whose Metro Start screen preference is unknown to me. So, it's possible that there'd be an eventual acceptance rate of 80%. Whether that's likely, I'm skeptical.

I should also note that all of these people had been using Windows for many years, in some cases dating back to Windows 3.1/95, and no newer than Windows 2000 at the most recent. So they definitely fall in the experienced user camp.

Hey Illram... give me the rundown on what to do if my business has about 4 computers running on XP. Keep in mind that I am a computer dunce.

Problems also with companies not accepting Internet Explorer but saying that Chrome and Firefox will still work ok for getting on their sites.

Please help.

If your company is using XP and outdated versions of IE, then that's a serious security risk you should bring up to management.

I am management ;) . My dad is the owner of the Insurance Agency.

Everything we have is outdated. Plus with health insurance cost for employees (I am one) and a weak economy we are barely holding our head above water.

I need cheap advice :mischief: .

Kind of depends on the specific circumstances.

Who's in charge of managing computers? Why can't they deal with it? (And why haven't they dealt with it already?)

Nothing you do is going to be dirt-cheap if you factor in time-cost.

Is it just browser use you need? If you really can't switch to Win 7/8, you basically want to do the following:

Run the final April 8th update.
Install your non-IE browser of choice.
Use Windows firewall to block everything except your browser of choice, whitelist that browser so it can access the web.
Set up a limited user account to use the browser, don't use the computers with an admin account, don't give the limited accounts anything to run except the browser.

I am in charge but I call a 'computer guy' when anything drastic comes up.

I have to update the Operating Systems from XP to another version or continue running XP with a risk? Is that correct?

Thanks Zelig and Hobbs. Please keep it extra simple.

I have to update the Operating Systems from XP to another version or continue running XP with a risk? Is that correct?

Yep. Also, it's best not to use Internet Explorer. You should install a different browser instead (e.g. Firefox or Chrome).

Yeah what they said pretty much. Installing a new OS on all of your computers will require licenses for all of them. You can save some by buying a volume license, I think the minimum is 5 and you can mix and match office and windows to get to 5. Online retailers also usually offer bulk packs in various quantities for a small discount as well. But it will still run into the hundreds of dollars for 4, I think.

You also could get away with a home license which I think allows 3 installs....not sure if it will work with all 3 running at once. And you didn't hear that from me...;)

Or switch to Linux for free...well, it depends if you can find equivalent software for whatever tasks these computers are used...

Only one of our computers have accounting/bank information on it. That is the only one I am too worried about problems.

The others are just used to get on company sites and cruise the internet :D .

For your needs, I'd strongly recommend a Free Software OS. Linux Mint is often a good start - it includes some proprietary things that can be a pain to set up on the more purist distributions (codecs etc), interface is polished but conservative, it's set up to work for the average user rather than the tinker-happy geek.

Most Linuxes run straight from a CD/DVD - slowly, but perfectly servicable for a preliminary test and it'll leave your hard drives alone. Having a live OS lying around is also dead useful, especially if you don't have any kind of professional support.

Re XP: Never stopped hating it. Learned to live with it, but good riddance.

Re start menu: Typically Microsoft.
For once they get a cohesive design aesthetic, then they react to consumer complains and compromise until we're back to "designed by committee". They just need to add features to the Metro UI until it's essentially a second desktop: useless and confusing duplication is at least familiar and will make feel old-timers right at home.

I'm really pretty ambivalent on the start menu - it's functionally identical to the start screen, and neither are very good, so it simply doesn't really matter which one is present.

Metro apps in windows looks excellent, I think I've mentioned before that that should be a thing.

The current 8.1U1 updates are probably most indicative of the "design by committee" - the taskbar and top application bar in Metro both look out of place and aren't particularly usable anyway, as there's a lag time in making them pop up by swinging the cursor about.

Even I was in no hurry to switch to XP when it came out. Windows 98 was doing the job well, aside from the occasional Blue Screen of Death. I wasn't as into technology then, though, and hadn't used OS/2 enough to appreciate the possibility of a more stable system.

Then I actually started using XP in 2003. It ran CivIII like a dream, and ran almost everything else that I'd run on Windows 98. And crashes were very rare. Meanwhile, the Macs I used occasionally at school were a disaster. So I was very much in the Microsoft fan base.

So I decided to go with Vista on a new computer in 2007, despite the lukewarm reviews. It ran CivIII like a nightmare, so much so that I played it on the slow old Pentium 4 Northwood instead of the shiny new Core 2 Duo with Vista. And there were additional compatibility problems, more than the 98 --> XP transition. I got XP back a few days after Christmas, and everything worked again.

Granted, it probably would make sense to switch to Windows 7 now. But saving $100 and becoming really familiar with Linux in a few months seems like just as good of a move (while keeping Windows for games). And I like that there are mainstream Linux distros such as Mint that are very much desktop-centric.

I have mixed feelings on the new Start Menu. On the one hand, it's a big plus for desktop users moving to Windows 8 who aren't familiar with third-party start menus. On the other hand, I'm not sure it's any better than the Windows 7 start menu or any of the third party ones. It does show that Microsoft isn't totally letting the desktop stagnate, though, which is important.

What I'd like to see in Windows 9:
- Ability to easily turn off all the protected folder/virtual store stuff. Windows 7 allows this by turning off UAC, but it doesn't appear to be possible in Windows 8.
- If I were to use UAC at all, ability to suspend it for awhile. I.E. I'm about to do 10 things that will cause UAC prompts, let me sudo them so I only have to elevate once. I can do this by making a shell script and running that from an elevated command prompt, but that's a bit of a pain on a GUI-oriented OS.
- Significant desktop improvements. The Task Manager in 8 is rather nifty, but I can't think of any other noteworthy improvements.
- Ability to play Minesweeper without setting up a Microsoft Account and going through Metro. Not really killer, especially since I made a clone of Minesweeper in high school, but would be nice on principle.
- Ability to run non-IE browsers in Metro and have it not be a headache for browser developers. Not that I plan to actually use Metro much, but it's a principle thing, for competitiveness. And because I really don't want an IE-only future. We've been very close to that path before.
- Ability to keep Microsoft Account/Metro purchases separate from login, similar to how Steam works currently. I don't want my OS login tied to the Internet, and currently, if that means not using Metro, so be it. But it would be nice to be able to use Metro (including installing new programs) and still have a local login.
- Of course, better than the above would be getting rid of the walled garden for Metro and making it easy to install any Metro application you want from the Web, a CD, or however else you got it. Part of the reason I'm a Windows fan is that there are no walls on the garden (at least pre-Windows 8).
- Making it so you can either live in Metro, or live in the desktop, and don't have to jump between them to do certain tasks if you don't want to. On a tablet, I'd probably want to stay in Metro most of the time. But on a desktop, I'd rather just stay in the... desktop.
- A useful, slice-and-dice, local search feature. I'm not sure if Windows 8.1 offers a truly local search, or if its Bing integration is similar to Ubuntu's integrated search (a bad thing). But even so, I still haven't seen a built-in Windows search feature that works as well in a GUI and is as reliable as what XP comes with. 7's search may be faster, but I've had it miss files that contain what I'm searching for too often, and the search-bar interface isn't as convenient as the sidebar-based search in XP. Maybe Vista had an awesome sidebar search widget that I didn't know about, with Vista's sidebar focus and all, but even if it did that's rather moot point now given the sidebar's retirement.

And last but not least, some awesome killer features like those that were planned for Longhorn. WinFS if it will make a real difference in organizing files (perhaps making Libraries really awesome without excessive overhead). A truly extensible, info-providing Explorer that I'll want to use as more than a glorified command prompt with cd and pwd commands. A re-imagined desktop, not just the fancy-appearance-but-essentially-the-same-as-Windows-98 Aero or the focused-on-touch Metro. Something that focuses on the core experience, not just tacking on online services. Something that will get people lining up to buy Windows 9.

Not that I really expect it to happen, but it would be really nice to see major improvements in something more exciting than security again. Otherwise, I might just have to root for Apple to keep gaining market share so as to increase competition.

Top Bottom