Windows 10

graham04

Chieftain
Just thought I would start this off here first.
Has anyone got Civ3 working on windows 10. I have just upgraded from 8.1 and it no longer works. 10 keeps asking me to try running as administrator ,it makes no difference, tried their compatibility options no joy.
Graham

you have been registered since 2006 and this is your very first post? :eek:
t_x

To answer the first reply, I have run Civ3 on every version since windows 98 without any problems so have had nothing much to say.
As for the second, not sure what you need , anyway its installed on the C drive of an Asus x550c laptop . What I did notice with 8.1, civ seemed to run as a virtual program. I don't seem to be able to access any of these files now 10 is loaded, considering going back to 8.1 unless someone far cleverer than me can come up with a solution.
Also just found that civ2 no longer works.
Graham

you have been registered since 2006 and this is your very first post? :eek:
t_x
Be nice, T_x -- I registered in 2009, but didn't make my first post until 2014 either. OK, 5 years between registration and first post is not quite such a big gap as 2006-2015, but graham04 is certainly not the only registered-but-long-silent CFC lurker... ;)

Where on your C drive is it installed. If it's under the Program Files (x86) folder that may be your problem. It's better to have it installed in a separate location to avoid complications with Windows. I have mine installed on a separate HDD from my OS, but the main C drive would work as well.

This did not work for me on Windows 10 64-bit. :sad:

When I start the game, Steam shows me in-game for a second or two, then says I am no longer in-game. Nothing pops up.

Edit: My problem was fixable by having "KeepRes=1" and adding "Video Mode=x", where x is a horizontal resolution, into the conquests.ini file in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization III Complete\Conquests\". This runs the game in a window, which makes it START! Getting a good resolution seem impossible, though.

Edit:Edit: I have Intel graphics, and whenever I use "KeepRes=1", it never starts. So, I can never have 1080p Civ 3...

Windows 10 removed a driver (SECDRV.SYS) which is required by the SafeDisc copy protection included in Civ3 and a lot of other games from that era. The game may include an old 32-bit unsigned version of that driver itself, but that can't run on modern Windows versions.

I'm not sure if the Windows 8.1 version of that driver can be installed in Windows 10, but it is probably easier to get a version without copy protection instead. There is even an official one due to lots of people having problem with a Civ3 copy included in a German PC games magazine years ago.

The following site included a patch archive which includes No-CD versions of both the vanilla game and conquests. You should be able to just replace your existing Civilization3.exe and Civ3Conquests.exe (after making copies of your originals), it works without problems on English versions of the game.

http://www.pcgames.de/Civilization-...-Civ-3-Vollversion-Hier-gibts-Abhilfe-401682/

Tried reloading Civ3 and Conquests on as separate partition using its own folder, no change, tried the downloads from the German site, but again no joy.
Civ edit does still work
Starting to get Civ withdrawal symptoms now so may return to 8.1, unless there is something else to try .

Be nice, T_x -- I registered in 2009, but didn't make my first post until 2014 either. OK, 5 years between registration and first post is not quite such a big gap as 2006-2015, but graham04 is certainly not the only registered-but-long-silent CFC lurker... ;)

i did not at all mean not to be nice. i only found it interesting and surprising.
t_x

I didn't read your question as malice-intended either. You get some really bizzare reactions when you post on forums ;) I guess it's because with the written word you can only interpret the voice of the writer by means of memory of real-life people that have spoken in the same way. I found your post amusing and light hearted, but some read it as coarse and insulting. I guess it's similar to how I can't read some posts as anything other than arrogant even when the writer might just be being normally conversational and why some people think any negative statement is representative of anger rather than a whole host of other intentions.

i did not at all mean not to be nice. i only found it interesting and surprising.
t_x
Well I guess that maybe you and I read the :eek: smiley differently then, but still I also did not mean to sound unfriendly. I only meant my comment as a gentle tease (I probably shouldn't do that), and if you read it any other way then I apologise. Still friends...? :)

...nor did i read your post as not nice... are you by chance female? i mean, my wife sometimes reacts like that... :D
t_x

...are you by chance female?
Not the last time I looked, no :lol: But now I think I should stop spamming this thread...

On topic, I am now slightly dreading starting up my newly acquired (and hitherto Win8.1) box. I opted for the upgrade a couple of weeks before the end of July, but have not fired it up again since the 29th (because we're currently on holiday). So I may well be posting additional rants/pleas (or possibly even solutions, although that's unlikely :lol: ) in this thread very soon...

This is awesome, we need Win 10 guinea pigs ASAP, especially with Win 10 being insta-download instead of waiting for people to buy new systems.

Sorry guy's and girls this is one guinea pig who has deserted the ship, back on 8.1 ahh bliss, now where are the those pesky Romans hiding

Hi,

I have had no joy with the German patches - Civ III still not running on Windows 10. Any other suggestions please?

To all those trying to run civ3 on Windows 10, I suggest you try using an emulator like virtual box to install Windows 7, 8, 8.1 or whatever and then use that to play civ 3. I haven't tried this but there shouldn't be a problem with this process.

Top Bottom