Winning strategy (too powerful)

Valk, I'm pretty sure the promotions I'm referring to are based on the FC's level-I know the first one comes for nearly all FCs at level 4 without regard to the progression of the underlying fort. Maybe it's partially built dwarven mines in captured territory that were giving me the issue then (which I know has been fixed for 1.3). But, wouldn't whatever rationale that led to forts not being constructable adjacent to each other also apply to DMs and forts? I understand that you may just be saying that they're not coded that way, I'm just unclear as to why.

Valk, I'm pretty sure the promotions I'm referring to are based on the FC's level-I know the first one comes for nearly all FCs at level 4 without regard to the progression of the underlying fort. Maybe it's partially built dwarven mines in captured territory that were giving me the issue then (which I know has been fixed for 1.3). But, wouldn't whatever rationale that led to forts not being constructable adjacent to each other also apply to DMs and forts? I understand that you may just be saying that they're not coded that way, I'm just unclear as to why.

The promotions require both a certain level of unit and a certain level of fort.

The minrange tag on improvements does not allow you to specify which improvements it can't be built near; Just that it can't be built near itself or it's upgrades. The only way to do it currently would be some python, which slows the game and the AI doesn't understand.

I'll just throw this out there, it's something that sort of popped into my head while playing the other day. I had been fooling around with the sprawling trait (gave it to every leader to see how it would work), and thought that if you can make different types of cities with unique build lists, IE normal and settlement, would it be possible to expand on that? Then my mind quickly jumped to forts. Say you replace the fort upgrade with a new type of "city" that's built using a new type of settler. This city would be locked at 1 pop like a settlement, but it would be able to build unique upgrades that could be unlocked with technology. So this new fort would start with like 20% defense, and right away you can start building a wall upgrade that adds another 10-20% defense. Future upgrades could include further wall upgrades, maybe a medic station to increase healing, and even fixed defensive systems like turrets or ballistas that can't move but can fire like normal siege weapons from the fort.

I'm not sure if that's possible at all, but I thought it was cool when I thought about it so I figured I should post it, especially since this thread talks about making forts more useful or interactive.

A couple of thoughts here :

- The 3 turn build for great commanders really should scale with game speed - it's still 3 turns on marathon, which means you can plaster the entire landscape with them in the time it takes to build 1 settler.

- One thing I found weird is that a level 1 unit in a fort is invulnerable against any super powered unit that doesn't have blitz or collateral damage - every turn they smash the fort commander and then the lowbie unit summons it back, with movement points so it can bombard them again ;p

velk, if you can get a unit with fear, sometimes the whole stack (including the FC if it wasn't the defender!) will run away from the fort (I usually do this with Korinna the Black Lady). Which probably shouldn't happen, but it is amusing.

On Zai's point, there was a discussion for Afforess' AND about automatically upgrading improvements as tech makes better ones available, so it ought to be possible. I haven't played it in a while, so I don't know if it ever got implemented.

Edit: Sorry, half a thought there. I meant to say that such an system that automatically kicks in as your tech improves would be my preference. I'd rather not be making build orders for every single fort I own.

Top Bottom