Magil's Wondrous Wonders

[GS] Wondrous Wonders (Updated for Gathering Storm) 3.1.0

This new version should be compatible with mods that change the minimum distance between cities and will update regional building ranges to compensate (at least the ones I included in my mod). However, the text descriptions will not update and will still say 6 tiles. This can be fixed later when localization is supported, I believe.

Thanks.
I tried the same modifiers by xml last week.It could not work by using mod,But it worked by overwriting the origin gamedata.I dont kown why.May I ask which tool do u use to edit the code?

I use Notepad++.

I don't predict any compatibility issues with my mod, but I'll be testing to be sure. In any case it seems like modding localization now works properly so that will be my next priority.

Edit: Looks like we can add icons without modifying base game assets now. I'll try to push out a version tomorrow or the next day to allow this, along with localization.

Last edited:
Magil updated Magil's Wondrous Wonders with a new update entry:

Updated for Winter Patch

This update doesn't include any gameplay changes, but it's quite important since it no longer requires you to modify the base game asset files. This version also includes separate text files for localization purposes rather than hard-coded text, because it seems that the bug that prevented it from loading properly upon reloading a game has been fixed. The only real change I've made in this version is to include that Estádio do Maracanã adds 6 Culture to every city in your civilization (this...

Read the rest of this update entry...

So quick note on my progress towards another update: I've been toying around with adding new unique resources, and the current conclusion I have is that resources really need to use the FontIcons.xml file, which I can't find a way to touch with modding. Adding unique resources will require directly altering that file, I'm afraid (unless someone can show me what I'm missing). It's not in the Icons folder with most of the other files that define icons, and the structure of the file is different as well. So the next update will likely include a FontIcons.xml file that will need to go back in the folder. I was hoping to move away from directly changing the files with this update but I don't see a way around this unfortunately!

Without defining an icon for the resource in FontIcons.xml, the Resource allocation screen in Reports will show ICON_RESOURCE_RESOURCENAME instead of the resource's icon, and the text will cover up the text that shows which cities it's going to, which is problematic (naturally I think you should be able to tell which cities your luxuries are being assigned to). That's obviously a problem.

Magil updated Magil's Wondrous Wonders with a new update entry:

1.6 Released.

For now, I've elected to not do any modifications that require direct asset file replacing (been back and forth on this, as you can see). Adding new resources does this, so for now, no new resources.

This update is relatively small:
  • Code cleanup (removed some lines that were causing warnings).
  • The Colossus provides an additional +2 Gold for Intercontinental trade routes (in addition to +2 for all trade routes).
  • Estadio de Maracana provides 3 amenities instead...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Huh, so for some reason the mod was working fine before, but now it crashes my game whenever i try to start a new one. :/

That's very odd, can't say I can replicate that. Is there anything in the Database.log that points to a crash?

If you were using a version 1.5 or earlier (not 1.55) you may need to verify your steam files to restore the old Icons_Buildings.xml (or restore from backup), since the new version doesn't need to modify that file anymore it should use the default one.

That's very odd, can't say I can replicate that. Is there anything in the Database.log that points to a crash?

If you were using a version 1.5 or earlier (not 1.55) you may need to verify your steam files to restore the old Icons_Buildings.xml (or restore from backup), since the new version doesn't need to modify that file anymore it should use the default one.
I Got it on the mac store, so idk how to verify the steam files O_O

I'm just sad because this is my absolute favorite mod for civ6 rn, I usually just spam wonders and this mod really boosted my enjoyment of the game, and now that It crashes my game the game feels emptier somehow Q_Q

I'm just sad because this is my absolute favorite mod for civ6 rn, I usually just spam wonders and this mod really boosted my enjoyment of the game, and now that It crashes my game the game feels emptier somehow Q_Q

Uh, well, if you previously replaced this file, try restoring the default. I'll provide a copy here, I don't know the Mac file structure though.

I take it you're using the Mac version though? I don't think that one has received an update yet, so this new version may not work on that? You could try downloading one of my old versions that did work if that's the case. My old versions are still up for download.

Attachments

• Icons_Buildings.xml
    10.1 KB · Views: 169
Hi there,

First of all, kudos on all the hard work you've done with this mod. It's made the wonders a lot more interesting overall and you really feel like they influence your game. After a few playthroughs I felt there were some balance changes needed, which I've outlined below. I've made these changes locally already and will be playing a few games with them to see how they impact the game. However, I wanted to share here as a general "I think these might be a little too good" piece of feedback. I have left explanations and/or rationale behind each change below the noted change.

World Wonders

Bolshoi Theatre: Amenities (3 -> 2)
The primary purpose of this building is for culture victories, so while the entertainment bonus for a theatre makes sense, it's too powerful as a secondary bonus when considering it's regional.

Alhambra: Culture (4 -> 2)
The extra policy this grants is already incredibly powerful, as are the Great General points on kills, so the 4 passive culture is a bit much.

Forbidden City: Culture (3 -> 2)
The best part of this is the extra policy slot, and 3 regional culture in the hands of a smart player far outweighs the passive 6 the wonder previously provided--potentially resulting in 18 culture or more

Oracle: Culture (4 -> 2), Faith (4 -> 2), Removed Engineer/Musician points, Great Prophet points (1 -> 2)
The reduction in Faith cost for great person patronage of 50% is extremely valuable already, and the secondary great person points help that bonus as well. The era this is obtained in is also far too early to give Engineer/Musician points as it effectively guarantees one of each, and 4 Culture/Faith simply pushes this wonder over the top.

That said, I added a Great Prophet point so if the player by some chance doesn't have one already, this all but guarantees a religion by completing it.

Cristo Redentor: Relic slots (3 -> 1)
While I like the idea of adding a slot (so I kept one), the primary design of this wonder is to reward players that build Seaside Resorts, so it's already quite powerful if properly used.

Great Lighthouse: Production bonus (30% -> 25%)
This redesign is mostly perfect, but I felt the production bonus was a tad high, so I'm trying a slight reduction to it as the only change.

Mahabodi Temple: Production yield changes - Holy Site (2 -> 1), Temple (2 -> 3)
The Holy Site generating a passive 2 production is a little too much of an early boost for a new city and takes a little away from needing to build improvements. That said, I simply moved it to the Temple to reward the player for building out their Holy Site more. It also creates a nice 1 -> 2 -> 3 progression to give the feeling of buildings getting better (as they should).

Terracotta Army: Completely revamping
I haven't had a chance to code this yet, but I will be changing Terracotta Army to work similarly to Venetian Arsenal for land units, and only for the city it is built in.

Hagia Sophia: Science yield changes - Holy Site (2 -> 1), Temple (2 -> 3)
Similar rationale to Mahabodi Temple: creating a bit of a progression as you build out the Holy Site to make later buildings more valuable, and reducing the instant impact of simply having a Holy Site.

Hermitage: Great Work Culture (3 -> 2)
This was a bit too good at 3 per Great Work as the global bonus effectively added 10 Culture per turn to any city with an art museum, plus 10% of whatever the other Culture the city was already generating.

Eiffel Tower: Great Person Points (50 -> 25)
This wonder is already incredibly powerful, particularly when paired with Cristo Redentor -- which is usually doable for any player that can build at least one of them -- as it has a significant impact on tourism generated by national parks and seaside resorts. +50 to great people pushed it over the top, but I like the idea of having more of these wonders, so I simply scaled it back.

Broadway: Great Person Points (50% -> 20%)
The percentage bonus to great person points is an interesting idea -- particularly for such a famous modern wonder -- but at 50% it made for some fairly laughable scenarios where this wonder ended up adding 20 or more per turn to great person generation. This, of course, all but guarantees a player will get most of the remaining great people of that type, which in essence guarantees a culture victory.

I'm currently trying out a 20% bonus, and if all else fails, will be switching to a flat value with added benefits for great works of writing and music. I'm also considering removing the great artist bonus as it doesn't fit thematically with Broadway (primarily musicals / plays).

Ruhr Valley: River adjacency production for Mine/Quarry (1 -> 2)
With so many other wonders requiring river adjacency and the inability to fabricate hills / quarry resources, it makes for very rare cases where this bonus is actually in play for these two improvements. I buffed them to provide +2 production each and left lumber mills alone due to the fact that you can plant trees late-game.

Great Zimbabwe: Gold per domestic trading post (1 -> 0.5), per foreign trading post (1 -> 1.25)
The core concept of this change is to reward the player for building out a vast network of trading posts in foreign cities and then opting to run international trade routes over long distances rather than domestic trade routes that already provide significant yields of food and production. Domestic posts should be a small bonus for the route, not a driving force behind where the route starts/ends or a viable alternative to sending internationally.

National Wonders
In general these buildings are far too powerful. Most of them are better than world wonders, and every player can build them. The core problem with most of the buildings is the sheer amount of great person points they add over time. As great people are a finite resource, this is very problematic and results in recruiting great people well before their eras -- even with pacing mods enabled. This problem is exacerbated by a player starting in a great location and snowballing. If you want to keep the increased rates, I recommend adding new great people of each type. I'm happy to lend a hand with that if it's the route you prefer to go.

That said, I love national wonders as they help to specialize cities. I found myself spending a great deal of time figuring out which were going to be production cities, science, trade, culture, etc.--all because of this mod.

Here are the changes I've made:

Shrine of the Saint: Culture (2 -> 1), Great Prophet (3 -> 2), Shrine Gold (2 -> 1), Belief Gold (2 -> 3)
Reducing the culture for early game pacing purposes, and slightly reducing prophet points so it doesn't make it better than Oracle for that. Shifted 1 shrine gold to belief building to create a gradual progression of gold gains, which also rewards choosing a belief building.

Library of National History: Science (15% -> 10%)
Granting the same percentage bonus as National College feels weird so I reduced this to 10% to better reflect the era it's gained.

National College: Culture (3 -> 2), Great Scientist (2 -> 1)
Science buildings should generally remain focused on science, particularly earlier in the game when this can be built. Also reducing great scientist points to keep their generation in check.

National Academy: Science (4 -> 2), Great General (5 -> 3)
I'm on the fence about reducing the science bonus, but I'm going to give it a shot due to the other bonuses this building provides. A free promotion on all of your units is incredibly powerful. I also reduced GPP for pacing purposes.

Grand Bazaar: Gold for foreign trade routes (6 -> 4), Gold to luxury/bonus resources (2 -> 1), Great Merchant (2 -> 1)
I scaled the gold back because it's effectively an old Great Zimbabwe for every single player right now, and the GPP were icing on the cake.

Ironworks: Regional production (5 -> 3)
5 regional production is far too good for how early this can be built. I left the GPP alone though as +2 isn't too bad, and it also helps offset the removal from the Menagerie later in the game.

National Industrial Complex: Production bonus (30% -> 20%), GPP (4 -> 3)
30% production bonus for a city is a little too good, especially if placed in a specialized city. I'm currently trying out 20% to see how it feels. I also reduced the GPP to 3 as 4 is a little too much for the era this is unlocked.

Apostolic Palace: All GPP removed
This building's bonuses are already incredibly powerful without the GPP it granted, so I'm seeing how things go without it. Faith was left alone to encourage specializing a religious city.

National Treasury: Great Merchant (5 -> 3), One-time yield multiplier (5 -> 3)
I reduced the GPP for pacing purposes. The one-time yield change is primarily to scale that reward back a bit, as timing this right before Big Ben's completion can result in some pretty whacky snowballing of gold on-hand. Even with the reduction, players looking to influence their gameplay via gold will likely get 1500-2000 gold by the time they build this, which is not bad.

National Heritage Site: Culture (30% -> 20%)
At 30% this adds a lot of culture, even for a single city. Trying out 20% for a few playthroughs to see how it affects pacing.

Grand Temple: Religious Art Faith (4 -> 6)
Religious art is pretty rare, so this is not a significant buff--particularly with the absurd scaling on religious unit costs. Leaving other great works of art alone as that's a more catch-all bonus so it'll provide more general benefit.

National Research Institute: GPP (6 -> 4)
Even though this is relatively late in the game, those remaining engineers/scientists are likely going to directly impact the space race, so I'm trying to keep their generation in check a bit.

Grand Menagerie: Removed most GPP, Great Merchant (1 -> 3)
This generating most of those great person points didn't make a ton of sense thematically, but making it a way to get great merchants via Entertainment Complex is a nice bonus.

Guilds: Culture (3 -> 2), passive GPP removed
Bringing the culture down for better early and mid-game pacing, and removing the passive GPP as the per-district bonus is already incredibly powerful.

National Airport: Tourism era modifier (100% -> 50%), Tourism (25 -> 20)
This was a little too powerful if strategically placed in a city with a large number of wonders, and beyond that it also added an effective 50 tourism to the city when it mattered most just going by the building's tourism. I'm going to try these changes out to see how it feels.

@Kodimus Thank you for your feedback. I'm not certain I agree with all of the balance-related comments, but it may be that Great Person generation is accelerated too much by National Wonders as it currently stands. I have certainly noticed an increased in Great Person generation, though mostly I think that's a good thing, because Great People are a fun and interesting part of the game. Still, it may be a bit much. Though if I want to defend my reasoning on a few choices here and there--the GPP on the Grand Menagerie were based on me looking at the GPP generated by Brazil's Carnival project (for the Entertainment Complex district), and giving 1 of each of those five kinds. I figured that was a close enough approximation. The Broadway Great Person boost is likewise based on giving players about half of Kongo's unique bonus. But yes, 50% may be a bit much.

Ultimately, though, I often look at National Wonders as rewarding players for a fairly hefty production investment at a specific stage in the game. For example, the Shrine of the Saint gives 3 Great Prophet points because I wanted it to all but assure a religion if you were willing to devote resources into building it in the rather crucial early game expansion phase. The AI also builds it early often so it can still be quite competitive. Likewise, the Ironworks is quite strong for its era, but its a one-shot building that requires significant investment for the reward (but perhaps the +5 could be reduced slightly). The Grand Bazaar I feel is tricky--it can be hard to get an AI city with one built in range, and since it only affects foreign trade and helps the person you trade to as much as it helps you, it can be risky to over-abuse it as you'll give the other player the same gold you're getting. +6 is a lot, though, so I might be re-examining that with an eye towards trying to abuse it (I've barely gotten any use out of it in my games). Overall, I'll look at the Great Person numbers and try to adjust them to be appropriate to the era in which the building is unlocked.

@Magil Thanks for the reply. That's a good point about the production, I'm going to revert those changes and the one I made to Shrine of the Saint for my playthroughs with the other changes I mentioned. I do recommend taking a pass at GPP generation though since they're a finite resource.

I agree completely that they are a fun and interesting gameplay component, so striking a balance between that and exhausting them before the end of the game would be a happy medium. The base game suffers from this too, so I think it might simply be that the pool of available great people is too small for the larger map sizes, and thus, number of potential players recruiting them. Do you know if it's possible to add new great people? I haven't taken a look at those files too extensively yet.

Last edited:
Perhaps this is a bit overdue, but I'm now releasing Wondrous Wonders 1.7. Updates are expected to be slower because I consider the mod to largely be in a good state right now and I have few further ideas that I wish to implement, and some of my other ideas will require me to either learn new tricks or wait for more advanced modding tools to be released.

Updates:
  • Apostolic Palace: All Great Person points removed.
  • National Treasury: Great Merchant points from 5 to 2.
  • International Airport: Added 3 Great Merchant points per turn.
  • National Research Institute: Great Engineer/Great Scientist points from 6 to 3 each.
  • National Industrial Complex: Great Engineer points from 4 to 2.
  • Ironworks: Great Engineer points from 2 to 1.
  • Grand Bazaar: Great Merchant points from 2 to 1.
  • National Academy: Great General points from 5 to 3.
  • Writers'/Artists'/Musicians' Guild: Base GPP removed. Retains GPP to districts modifier.
  • National Epic: Reworked to only provide 1 GPP of the respective type to districts instead of 2. +1 Artist/Musician to Theater Square. Base Great Artist point changed to Great Writer point.
  • National Epic: Now allows the city that builds it to construct one additional district beyond what the population limit would allow.
  • Broadway: %-based bonus to Great Merchants, Writers, Artists, and Musicians from 50 to 30.
  • Heroic Epic: No longer provides Great General points to districts. Instead, provides a +4 Combat Bonus for units trained in this city (in addition to preexisting +50% EXP bonus).
Rationale: While I think Great People are a very fun, interesting, and interactive part of the game, I was simply seeing too many of them with this mod active. Not all the time, but enough of the time. This has been reported in feedback as well (and I'll again thank everyone who has reported as much). These changes are an attempt to curtail that. The Shrine of the Saint was not changed as Great Prophets are somewhat special and there's a good reason why it gives +3. Great Merchant points were added to the International Airport as the late game merchants are key in securing a cultural victory (adding Tourism to districts, increasing the Tourism output of a friendly trade route, etc.). It was a bit odd for one National Wonder at the end of the tree to have no GPP.

The Heroic Epic especially proved problematic, and while I liked the old ability, I actually think the new one is better (I debated some other abilities to allow it to give to units but decided on something simple for now). Getting Great Generals too quickly causes lots of problems since some of them grant you units which may be too advanced for the era the game is currently in.

The current amount of Great People in the game is limited, and that's why this doesn't work so well. It could if more Great People were added to the game, but as that is outside the scope of this mod, so this is the change I am currently making.

Musings: These are ideas I currently have bouncing around in my head and I'd like feedback on:
  • Rework the Oracle to not provide a faith patronage discount. It could have other effects, like +20 points towards all current and future Great People, and awarding random tech/civic boosts. This may call for reworking the Eiffel Tower slightly as well.
  • This would be to move the faith patronage discount to one or more buildings in the National Temple->Apostolic Palace National Wonder chain. By specializing a city and/or civilization towards generating Faith, you can reap great rewards with a patronage discount.
Those are just musings at this point, I may not actually do that, as things are pretty functional the way they are. Mostly, it's in response to the current state of religion and faith. In the base game I don't feel they're that strong, though there are some strategies that can utilize them rather well, they're a bit narrow in function. I've made some efforts to broaden that--note that the Grand Temple's direct effect is to replace the useless Great Prophet points on religious buildings with cultural great person points once you have founded a religion.

I'll be updating the OP in short order to reflect the changes.

Last edited:
I really like this mod. Makes building wonders much more worthwhile.
I play without the National Wonders though (I only want to enhance the existing wonders). Would it be possible to have like another version that keeps special properties of wonders that you have moved to National Wonders with their original wonders? So if you want to move the Faith Patronage from the Oracle to a National Wonder (or previously the Religious tourism boost of Cristo Redentor), could you have a separate version that keeps them where they are? Or would it be rather easy to just do it myself (for my game)?

I really like this mod. Makes building wonders much more worthwhile.
I play without the National Wonders though (I only want to enhance the existing wonders). Would it be possible to have like another version that keeps special properties of wonders that you have moved to National Wonders with their original wonders? So if you want to move the Faith Patronage from the Oracle to a National Wonder (or previously the Religious tourism boost of Cristo Redentor), could you have a separate version that keeps them where they are? Or would it be rather easy to just do it myself (for my game)?

It'd be a lot of effort to keep a whole different version of the mod up to date for ongoing changes, but if I did change the Oracle it'd be simple to continue to use 1.7 as it is, since I leave old versions of my mod up for download. As for doing it yourself, it wouldn't be difficult if you had experience with modding Civ via XML, simply going through WorldWonders.xml and WorldWondersText.xml and removing any reference to the Oracle, Cristo Redentor, and/or the Terracotta Army, which all have had some or all of their effects moved to National Wonders (really the only things necessary to change would be the entries under the BuildingModifiers header, but for the text to match and all you'd need to be more thorough). But I understand you might not feel comfortable poking around in the code if you haven't done so before. I'll mull it over a bit, I might not even make the Faith patronage changes to the Oracle.

Thanks for answering. I understand it would be a lot of work, no hard feelings.
Yes, I did some tweaks here and there using both xml and sql, though my larger projects like creating new leaders have failed so far. :lol:
I've actually translated your descriptions to German (I'm playing the German version) for the sake of consistency, so changing these to take the changes into account shouldn't be much of a problem. I guess I'll just take a look at the actual code and see what I can do.

Top Bottom