Magil's Wondrous Wonders

[GS] Wondrous Wonders (Updated for Gathering Storm) 3.1.0

Was wondering if i could use this mod in my own mod that i am working on miss the national wonders from 5 it was great mechanic, so glad you did this and thanks for doing such wonderful job.

I am generally all right with my mod being integrated into others, so long as I'm given credit.

Yeah no problem but your mod worked so well with mine and really balances out the game a lot, I have no problem giving credit plus i will be adding AI to play the national wonders more. Love your work a lot so this is great thanks!!!

This is just a test for now--I can't promise this works. I'm fiddling with the Production Queue mod to see if I can make it respect National Wonders. Initial testing looks good, but I haven't had a chance to do much. If anyone else wants to take this file and run with it, and see if it works properly with National Wonders, be my guest, as I'm not certain how much time I'll be able to devote to testing over the next few days. I've added the following lines of code:

Code:
               -- National Wonder Check
               if buildQueue:CanProduce( row.Hash, true ) and (row.MaxPlayerInstances and IsHashInAnyQueue(row.Hash)) then
               doShow = false;
               end

Under the entry "for row in GameInfo.Buildings() do" in the ProductionPanel.lua. But please keep in mind I have very little knowledge of lua code and I'm basically taking a shot in the dark here, copying a bit of code from the "for row GameInfo.Projects() do", which does respect MaxPlayerInstances. I'm including a version of the mod file with this post.

I've noticed that you can under some circumstances queue up multiple National Wonders, but if won't actually build them, when the already-constructed National Wonder's time to build comes up the queue will clear, which is acceptable. What's important is it hopefully won't let you build multiple National Wonders anymore.

I'll also appreciate any commentary from those who have worked with the lua code to point out if I'm making any obvious errors/bad assumptions here.

Attachments

• ProductionQueue WW Test.rar
    42.4 KB · Views: 196
Heya Magil, I've been using your mod and loving it, but I've found the tooltips on the national wonders to be overly complicated. Specifically, the mutual exclusion rules between national wonders.

I was just wondering if you could tidy them up in the next build by giving an explanation similar to the one you gave in your description for this mod. Basically, so that rather than having a national wonder list all the other national wonder's it's exclusive to, have it say something along the lines of: "Cannot be built in a city that already has a national wonder in its Campus, Commercial Zone, Industrial Zone, or Encampment." (That could be the tooltip for the National Airport, for example). Doing this would make it a lot less confusing.

Additionally, if you could provide instructions for customizing the exclusion rules to our own liking I'd be super grateful!

I usually love going tall in Civ and I've been stitching together various mods to make that playstyle more viable than it is in Civ 6 vanilla. Basically, I'd want to change the exclusion rules so that I can build all national wonders in only 4 cities. I would do it by removing any exclusion from the aerodrome national wonder (National Airport) and the Theater Square national wonder (National Heritage Site) and making the national wonders in the Entertainment Complex only exclusive with each other and nothing else. I suppose that would technically leave five mutually exclusive districs (Science, Industry, Religion, Gold, Military), so I'm not 100% sure what to do there, but I'd probably just remove the restrictions on the religious district and let those wonders be built alongside the wonders in another district.

If you have the time and would be willing to rework the rules yourself to make your national wonders "tall-friendly" and maybe release it as a separate file I'd be extatic, and I'm pretty sure there would be quite a few others like me as well. It's such a shame that Firaxis killed going tall in civ 6 and it requires us to use a bunch of mods just to be able to go back to the familiar tall playstyle some of us prefer.

Heya Magil, I've been using your mod and loving it, but I've found the tooltips on the national wonders to be overly complicated. Specifically, the mutual exclusion rules between national wonders.

I was just wondering if you could tidy them up in the next build by giving an explanation similar to the one you gave in your description for this mod. Basically, so that rather than having a national wonder list all the other national wonder's it's exclusive to, have it say something along the lines of: "Cannot be built in a city that already has a national wonder in its Campus, Commercial Zone, Industrial Zone, or Encampment." (That could be the tooltip for the National Airport, for example). Doing this would make it a lot less confusing.

Additionally, if you could provide instructions for customizing the exclusion rules to our own liking I'd be super grateful!

I usually love going tall in Civ and I've been stitching together various mods to make that playstyle more viable than it is in Civ 6 vanilla. Basically, I'd want to change the exclusion rules so that I can build all national wonders in only 4 cities. I would do it by removing any exclusion from the aerodrome national wonder (National Airport) and the Theater Square national wonder (National Heritage Site) and making the national wonders in the Entertainment Complex only exclusive with each other and nothing else. I suppose that would technically leave five mutually exclusive districs (Science, Industry, Religion, Gold, Military), so I'm not 100% sure what to do there, but I'd probably just remove the restrictions on the religious district and let those wonders be built alongside the wonders in another district.

If you have the time and would be willing to rework the rules yourself to make your national wonders "tall-friendly" and maybe release it as a separate file I'd be extatic, and I'm pretty sure there would be quite a few others like me as well. It's such a shame that Firaxis killed going tall in civ 6 and it requires us to use a bunch of mods just to be able to go back to the familiar tall playstyle some of us prefer.

Unfortunately those exclusion-based tooltips are automatically generated. I'm not sure if I can mess with them. I agree they're rather long and unwieldy myself, but I'm afraid I'd have to go digging into the lua code to change it and I'm not very familiar with lua.

As for the rest... I'm not certain. When I looked into designing National Wonders, I looked to Civ V, Civ IV, and Civ III, and in particular Civ IV had a restriction where you couldn't build more than two National Wonders in the same city, which I liked, as it made cities tend towards specialization. That's what I had in mind when I implemented the National Wonders: specialization. This naturally conflicts with having only a small number of cities, as there are more things you can specialize towards than the number of cities you wish to make. My own personal beliefs aside (I don't like "tall versus wide" and agree with VI's approach), it just doesn't work with my vision here.

With that said, it's possible I could make some adjustments. The National Heritage Site, for example, could perhaps be allowed to be built in the same city as the Holy Site district National Wonders in order to allow an even greater focus on Culture and Tourism. If I did that, it should be possible to build all the National Wonders in five cities--and I think five cities is small enough for a "tall" empire. I'll be mulling that part over for my next update (I've been rather busy as of late but I'll see what I can do about getting it out soon).

Just wondering, with the Aztecs being unlocked now, will you update Huey Teocalli as well or do you consider its bonuses as sufficient?

Just wondering, with the Aztecs being unlocked now, will you update Huey Teocalli as well or do you consider its bonuses as sufficient?

I've been thinking about it, and I do think it would be more interesting with some sort of global effect. Lakes are tricky to work with though when I last tried, so I'm going to be looking into seeing what I can do with that. Thanks for reminding me that Aztecs are now out for everyone, though.

I've been thinking about it, and I do think it would be more interesting with some sort of global effect. Lakes are tricky to work with though when I last tried, so I'm going to be looking into seeing what I can do with that. Thanks for reminding me that Aztecs are now out for everyone, though.
What about giving that temple a bonus like:
Lakes provide major adjacency bonus to all district types.
For instance, building a Holy Site district next to a lake will yield the same adjacency bonus as building it next to a natural wonder.

What about giving that temple a bonus like:
Lakes provide major adjacency bonus to all district types.
For instance, building a Holy Site district next to a lake will yield the same adjacency bonus as building it next to a natural wonder.

That does sound interesting. However, the code about lakes is weird, and since they don't count as a feature, I don't believe I can add an adjacency bonus to districts based on lakes. There is something I can try in regards to that, but I do not think it will work. I'll be sure to give it a test.

My current idea for the Huey Teocalli is to extend its bonus to all cities in the Civ, possibly increasing it a bit (as I don't think Lake tiles are particularly worthwhile to work, even with the Wonder, I would want to make them worth working), and perhaps add an additional very small food bonus to tiles adjacent to lakes.

This should be coming in less than a week. I'm going to need to do some rather thorough testing as the requirement I intend to use for lake adjacency is not used anywhere in the code that I can tell, but does exist, so hypothetically it does work. I'll just need to test it to make sure it does and to see if it works the way I think it does.

How's it going?
I tried changing Huey Teocalli's bonus amenities to affect all cities, but I can't really get it to work. I thought about changing COLLECTION_OWNER of the Dynamic modifier that is used by the wonder to something like COLLECTION_PLAYER_CITIES, but I think it might cause all wonders which are next to lake tiles to produce amenities... anyway, that wonder seems harder to modify than those in the base game.

Coming a bit slowly, I'll fully admit I'm trying to hold off playing or modding much Civ VI until there's an update at this point. I look forward to the full set of modding tools as I have lots of ideas I'd like to try my hand at implementing.

With that said, I have been doing some fiddling, and adding extra yields to lakes doesn't seem difficult, I already use a similar piece of code for Ruhr Valley. The amenities from lakes code is a bit odd, however. I'm not certain I know how to make that one global, but I'm willing to give it a try. The main barrier seems to be the modifier argument, which for whatever reason calls for a specific building (the wonder itself in this case). I could get around that of course in a "hacky" way, but I don't really want to do that if I don't have to, so testing continues.

Hey Magil,

Really like your mod. I missed National Wonders a lot and thought a lot of the vanilla world wonders were incredibly mediocre and your mod helped a lot. I've been using TCS's omnibus mod as well and was wondering what you mean by them not playing well together (for the complete ruleset). Is it the tech/civics tree changes or is it just a balance thing? Is there some way for me to make them work better together, like editing the xmls? Thx in advance.

Hey Magil,

Really like your mod. I missed National Wonders a lot and thought a lot of the vanilla world wonders were incredibly mediocre and your mod helped a lot. I've been using TCS's omnibus mod as well and was wondering what you mean by them not playing well together (for the complete ruleset). Is it the tech/civics tree changes or is it just a balance thing? Is there some way for me to make them work better together, like editing the xmls? Thx in advance.

Right now there's a part of the complete ruleset which essentially removes all building prerequisites, which is a problem if the Omnibus loads after Wondrous Wonders since it would remove all the prerequisites for National Wonders. I might be able to address this in the next update.

The Omnibus also changes around theming bonuses, which is much easier to deal with since you can simply remove the ThemingBonus.xml file from Wondrous Wonders (in the World Wonders folder).

FWIW, I'm playing my second game now with both mods active — TCS Omnibus (complete ruleset) and Wondrous Wonders — and have encountered no problems at all.

FWIW, I'm playing my second game now with both mods active — TCS Omnibus (complete ruleset) and Wondrous Wonders — and have encountered no problems at all.

Yeah, if the Omnibus loads before Wondrous Wonders then there will be no issues. But load order is a strange thing so it's likely some people would see problems and others would not.

Magil updated Magil's Wondrous Wonders with a new update entry:

This is a fairly small update, which has the following features:
  • Huey Teocalli: Local bonus to amenities from lake tiles preserved. Other bonuses changed to the following: +3 Food and +2 Culture for each lake tile in your empire. Campus, Commercial Hub, Theater Square, Holy Site, and Industrial Zone districts in your empire gain extra yields when adjacent to a lake tile (+4 Gold for a Commercial Hub, +2 of their respective yield for the others).
  • Added dependency for Aztec DLC. You will be required to have the Aztec DLC enabled to use Wondrous Wonders if using this version of the mod.
  • Added reference for TCS Omnibus. This causes it to load after Omnibus if both mods are enabled, but otherwise does nothing (this does not mean WW requires Omnibus).
That took a while, but I admit I'm mostly holding off further modding until an update is released. I believe one is coming very soon. Thankfully I have learned to use the FireTuner for CivBE in Civ VI which should make future testing smoother and quicker.

In regards to the Production Queue, I have had reports from other mods this has been integrated into that National Wonders didn't properly respect the one-per-Civ limit when a queue was enabled, but I have been unable to replicate this issue (even when a Production Queue is enabled, it won't let me build more than one of my National Wonders--it may appear on the build list but it won't add to the queue).

I'm going to add a disclaimer that says this, but my current experience is that you can indeed use this mod with the Production Queue mod or Quick UI or other similar UI mods. On the other hand, if someone can provide me with a save file where it's not working and you are allowed to build multiple National Wonders, that would be very helpful and I'll look into it.

In the meantime, however, I fully expect Firaxis will add its own production queue to the base game--possibly in the incoming update (okay, maybe that's naive, we'll see what happens). So I don't think I'll do any more work regarding compatibility with production queues at least until the next update releases, as I expect it to be very soon.

If there are any problems with this release, be sure to let me know. I am trying a few new things but it's working on my end up to this point.

Thanks for the update!
I noticed something while updating my files, no idea if it's already been in a previous patch and I missed it. But you added several of these <RunOnce> and <Permanent> lines and I wanted to ask something. I can't test it myself right now, but in my previous games, if I conquered a city with a district that is altered by a wonder, it wouldn't get the wonder's bonuses (e.g. conquering a city with a Holy Site after building the Mahabodhi Temple wouldn't give it and its buildings the extra production). Do these lines fix that issue?

I don't actually know what those values do, I haven't been able to find an answer on that. I just add them if the modifier originally had them (from where I used the base game code as a reference).

That issue with conquered cities is actually listed under the known issues now. I'm only using base game modifiers for those effects (MODIFIER_PLAYER_CITIES_ADJUST_BUILDING_YIELD_CHANGE) but I have noticed they don't always respect conquered cities correctly. I am unsure how to approach this issue, it seems to me this would also mean that, for example, the Great People that add additional yields to buildings would have the same problem (like Albert Einstein). With that said, I am looking for ways to fix this problem.

Last edited:
Might very well be the case. I do know that in one of my games, Japan got Hildegard von Bingen and used her in their Holy Site district in Kyoto (it had a science yield when I checked it). After I conquered the city, the science bonus was gone. Not quite the same case as with Albert Einstein, but it might have the same underlying problem.

Top Bottom