Words you never use?

I keep hearing about that show.

EDIT: Whoops, wrong thread.

Hey ! In Poland Chesterfield is a tobacco brand ! :D So it's very common to smoke Chesterfield's here :mischief: :D
That is true too. Chesterfield was a significant brand of cigarette in the US for many years. It is long gone from here, but I guess it still lingers overseas.

After binging Tiger King, I caught myself starting to drop back into a southern drawl and had to make an effort to not do that. (I grew up in NC)
Where in NC?

I never use "incredible" or "incredibly" in the way so many people do today, although I may use it literally to mean something or someone is not to be trusted.

I almost never use "nice" unless I mean "ignorant."

I don't think I've used "utilize" since reading G.K. Chesterton criticize its usage.

I've never really used any curse words except in direct quotations, but I don't censor them when I am quoting.

I like using "******ed" to literally mean "slowed down," especially around people who are overly sensitive to the word being used an an insult, but I've never actually used it as insult.

Also: conservator; narrativize

Last edited:
This question is a bit of a paradox. If I knew them, I'd probably use them.

Can't think of one I conciously avoid either, except for some ableist or homophobic slurs.

I'm still waiting for an opportunity to use chthonic or sepulcher in thze same sentence just to brag about my big word brain.

Can't think of one I conciously avoid either, except for some ableist or homophobic slurs.

I'm still waiting for an opportunity to use chthonic or sepulcher in thze same sentence just to brag about my big word brain.

I know sepulcher, but what is chthonic?

Note that now we can both brag about our big word brains!

Kerfuffle

That's just the recent one I saw on one of those 'word of the day' things, as those things bug me (Gas Station TV when pumping gas). There are others, but it's always words I never heard of and never plan to use.

Unless you're playing Scrabble or working on a crossword puzzle, using those words are just making you annoying.

I don't think I've used "utilize" since reading G.K. Chesterton criticize its usage.
its utilization, I think he might have meant

I guess now that I think about it, I've stopped using "niggard"; too much risk of someone mishearing it.

A Utah accent is pretty much just General American English.

With a few Smithisms and Youngisms thrown in to pepper speech, no doubt. :p

My sense is that few Americans have a strong, regional accent. I can pick up occasional things in individual words, sometimes. One guy I used to know said 'Warshington' instead of 'Washington', for example. Another guy over-enunciated the 'L' in words like calm and palm. Most of the time you wouldn't notice an accent, though. I imagine there might have been little tells they could hear in my pronunciation of a word, here and there. Some of it could be deliberate 'code-switching', and some is probably just unconsciously sounding like the people around you.

You've obviously been avoiding listening to people from the Deep South, New York City, and to ANY African-American, by the sound of it.

I know sepulcher, but what is chthonic?

Note that now we can both brag about our big word brains!

Chthonic means subterranian when referring to a deity that lives underground like Hades.
I stumbled on it a while ago in an article about the Slavic God Veles when I was on a wiki binge on pagan religions.

Chthonic means subterranian when referring to a deity that lives underground like Hades.
I stumbled on it a while ago in an article about the Slavic God Veles when I was on a wiki binge on pagan religions.

Autochthonic, a word often used to "indigenous peoples in an area since time immemorial," back in the 1800's by anthropologists, colonials, explorers, missionaries, and "naturalists," comes from a term in the Greek Mythic cycle for "people for grew or spawned from the earth they on."

Well, that's A use of the term. The word predates Lovecraft in origin by over 2500 years, but...

I'd guess that far more people nowadays are familiar with chthonian because of Lovecraft and the game Call of Cthulhu than are aware of its Greek origins.

I don't use the word anthropomorphism if I can help it. I constantly stumble on the pronunciation and it comes out like mangled Irish gibberish.

Top Bottom