World Builder - Usage guide 2021

AeonsOfTime

Chieftain
I have been doing battle with the World Builder for the last few days, and noticed that much of the information out there is outdated. The TZ method for example, can thankfully be thrown into the bin at long last. I thought that we could use a new thread to keep track of the current capabilities of the World Builder, and any known pitfalls.

If you have any corrections or more insights, please share! I will start with what I learned from my tests.

Recommended editing workflow

From experience, the best workflow to follow when editing your custom map is the following:

1. Test your mod selection (see "Using mods" and "Testing your mods selection").
  2. Create a new map for the target ruleset (see "Rulesets") and your preferred settings.
  3. Edit the terrain in basic mode until you're satisfied with it*.
  4. Enable advanced mode.
  5. Place down advanced terrain features, like roads.
  6. Set up Players and AI civs (see "Configuring Players") with their starting positions.
  7. Set up City states (see "Configuring city states") with their starting positions.
  8. Play your map (see "Playing a custom map").

* This should include goody huts. Adding some later on will reset many of the advanced settings, like players and city states.

TIP: Save to a new file with each step, so you can come back if something goes wrong.
TIP: If you can be bothered, also test the map after each step :)

Rulesets

You can select any of the rulesets, just keep in mind that the map will only be playable with the selected ruleset.

Using mods

As a general rule, prune down your mods collection to the bare minimum. Your map will only be playable with the mods that are enabled when you create your map. Mods can still be enabled as you prefer when you actually play the map, provided the ones the map requires are present. This means that it is better to use less mods in any case, unless you need assets from the mod, like new resources.

Knowing this, it is fine to keep the following:

Beyond this, the trouble is that even if mods work fine with random maps, they can potentially cause errors with custom maps. This is because some of the information they expect to be present is not always available in a custom map. In my tests, some of the map-related scripts caused errors, as well as startup scripts (Expanded Initial Vision for example).

Testing your mods selection

To test your mods selection, create a duel map in the World Builder (will load faster that way). Do not make any actual changes to the map. Save it as-is, then try to start a new game with it - if it loads without errors, you will be fine using those mods in the World Builder.

Playing a custom map

• Create the map in the builder (do not forget to give it a name to recognize it by).
  • Go to your mods screen.
  • Enable the mod containing your map.
  • Set up a new game, and select the map in the map selection.
  • Also set the amount of players and city states to values supported by the map.
  • Play!

Configuring players

• The option "Any" cannot be selected for the player for some reason; it switches to "Random" automatically. I assume this is a bug, since it clearly worked before.
  • Selecting a specific Player civ will still allow selecting a random civ instead in the new game setup.
  • Do not modify or remove the "Free cities" entry, if there is one (depends on the ruleset).
  • Every civ and city state needs to have a starting location.

Configuring city states

• Using random city states does not work. A specific city state must be selected, and its starting location set.
  • Only use vanilla city states: DLC city states will invariably trigger a LUA error on game start.
  • In the new game setup, the amount of city states must be set to less or equal the amount you added in the map.

Here's a list of vanilla city states you can select in the World Builder, and which will not cause any errors:

• Amsterdam (Commercial)
  • Brussels (Industrial)
  • Buenos Aires (Industrial)
  • Carthage (Militaristic)
  • Geneva (Scientific)
  • Hattusa (Scientific)
  • Hong Kong (Industrial)
  • Jerusalem (Religious)
  • Kabul (Militaristic)
  • Kandy (Religious)
  • Kumasi (Cultural)
  • La Venta (Religious)
  • Lisbon (Commercial)
  • Mohenjo-Daro (Cultural)
  • Nan Madol (Cultural)
  • Preslav (Militaristic)
  • Valletta (Militaristic)
  • Vilnius (Cultural)
  • Yerevan (Religious)
  • Zanzibar (Commercial)

More details can be found here: List of city states in Civ6

Advanced editing

As the popup says when you switch to advanced mode, some areas really are still experimental. In my tests, using them broke my map more than anything else. Here's what I discovered so far, fiddling around with things.

• Player and AI cities can be placed including units, but loading the map again after saving it will not show the cities or units. In their place is shown a section of road, and trying to place the city anew will say "Placement successful", without any visible effect.
  • Strangely enough, city state cities are restored on load, including their units.

Viewing raw map data

The Civ6Map files that the World Builder saves are actually SQLite database files. This means they can be viewed and even edited using an SQLite editor. Personally I use the free SQLite Browser on Windows. You can easily view data and modify it.

Possibly needless to say, editing the map manually like this can yield strange results and even cause errors. I recommend always making a backup of your map file before doing this.

Still, it can be interesting to see how a map is set up.

TIP: Since they are binary files, it is not possible to view a diff of different .Civ6Map files. However, using the SQLite Browser, they can be exported as plain text SQL files to easily compare them. I used this method to track some of the changes the World Builder makes.

Recovering broken maps

If your map is broken, you can try to recover it by editing the .Civ6Map file directly, since it is basically just a database file.

Looking at a pristine map file without any changes (see "Viewing raw map data"), the following tables are all empty initially:

• Buildings
  • Cities
  • CityAttributes
  • DistrictAttributes
  • Districts
  • GameConfig
  • ModComponent_Items
  • ModComponent_Properties
  • ModComponents
  • Players
  • PlayerAttributes
  • PlotOwners
  • PlotRoutes
  • RevealedPlots
  • StartPositions
  • UnitAttributes
  • Units

You can start by deleting all records from those tables if there are any: This will reduce the database to only the base map data, after which you have a chance to start over.

Last edited:
I just signed up to say thank you. Hi anyone reading.. I have been doggedly trying to work out what prompts the lua error when trying to place start positions for a few days and after following this advice on a barebones test map I succeeded at last.

There is so little (up to date) information out there about the advanced side text or video I didn't think I'd ever get a chance of working this out to be useable - until worldbuilders done finally I mean- I deleted something like 16 tries up until now. But now I might get to make this balanced but unfair single player map I have in mind after all lol. Thanks again

I deleted something like 16 tries up until now

Same here. Frustrated, I ended up methodically documenting each step I did in the World Builder and creating a backup of the map each time. Then I had a look at the changes the World Builder made in the map file with each change, and tried to start the map in the game. That's how I realized that most of the errors can currently be blamed on the city states. I'm glad I could help!

I do hope Firaxis will fix this - the World Builder is a great tool, and has the potential to create some very fun maps/scenarios. Would be a shame to let it go to waste.

I'm currently having trouble editing the file in sqlite browser. in the mod dependencies file it only shows ID and Title. Im just trying to disable/remove mods that the map is relying on but my friends don't have. Do you know of any easier way to edit and delete mods so that I don't have to remake a whole map?

I'm currently having trouble editing the file in sqlite browser. in the mod dependencies file it only shows ID and Title. Im just trying to disable/remove mods that the map is relying on but my friends don't have. Do you know of any easier way to edit and delete mods so that I don't have to remake a whole map?

You mean the mod dependencies listing in the sqlite file is empty? In my experience, there is always something in there.

Even a pristine map without any third party mods enabled should have some of the official DLC contents. I haven't tested disabling those though. Here's a screenshot of a new map on my system:

mod_dependencies.png

Personally I have no experience modifying the mod dependencies directly, so I can't say if it is doable or not. There may be other references to the mods. I did not see any straight away, but can't exclude it. You will probably just have to try it out. Please post your findings here!

Viewing raw map data

The Civ6Map files that the World Builder saves are actually SQLite database files. This means they can be viewed and even edited using an SQLite editor. Personally I use the free SQLite Browser on Windows. You can easily view data and modify it.

Possibly needless to say, editing the map manually like this can yield strange results and even cause errors. I recommend always making a backup of your map file before doing this.

Still, it can be interesting to see how a map is set up.

TIP: Since they are binary files, it is not possible to view a diff of different .Civ6Map files. However, using the SQLite Browser, they can be exported as plain text SQL files to easily compare them. I used this method to track some of the changes the World Builder makes.

Hello,

First of all, thank you for all these tips.

I'm coming after the battle, but I hope you will still see this. I tried to modify the SQLite database but every time I change something I can't load the map anymore in the world builder. I tried many things: using different SQL editors (SQLite Browser, DBeaver), disabling all mods, I even did tests where I just change a very minor thing (i.e. chance a single ocean tile to a coast tile). When trying to load the map in the world builder, the game hangs for a second and then I'm sent back to the main menu.

Did you manage to modify things on your side and while still being able to load the map afterwards?

Hello,

First of all, thank you for all these tips.

I'm coming after the battle, but I hope you will still see this. I tried to modify the SQLite database but every time I change something I can't load the map anymore in the world builder. I tried many things: using different SQL editors (SQLite Browser, DBeaver), disabling all mods, I even did tests where I just change a very minor thing (i.e. chance a single ocean tile to a coast tile). When trying to load the map in the world builder, the game hangs for a second and then I'm sent back to the main menu.

Did you manage to modify things on your side and while still being able to load the map afterwards?

Second that problem. Any advice available?

Top Bottom