World Cup 2006 - Groups

well.. statistics.. if we'd go by that Holland will probably win against Argentina. The only time we lost to them was in the World Cup Final of 1978..

Dell19 said:
Do you want to actually try to back up that?
No.
First. It's pointless to disccus abot that. Second I'm angry of group that Serbia got, so I would maybe, act more inapropriate.
But seems like you did not watch many of the Spanish NT games in this qualification. Not to mention some other qualifications before and some WC performance before as well.
DEll19 said:
Bearing in mind that South Korea were probably luckier than Spain in the quarter finals and not everything goes the way of the international team or their club sides.
True,but
Being unlucky is one thing.
Being protected always is completly diferent.

True about the teams as well. That's why is so easy to spot the helps from referes. Even if they help Brasilians in some points is less obwious because it's rare, and most of te job Player did with there skill.

Dell19 said:
Basically Spain are a seed because they qualified for the last World Cup whilst Holland missed out because of Ireland.
Anyway I hope Ukrainians will put them on there place...

Dell19 said:
The runner up from group C should theoretically be playing Portugal or Mexico if they follow the traditional format so it wouldn't be a total disaster.
We'll see what happens. It's too early, anyway. As for Serbia (former FR Jugos.) I remmember when they even disqualified us ones (for political reason - not sure if it's happend ever before or after) UEFA Champions tho.

We also never got luck with Holland (so it's not that they are strong team, but Serbia somehow always scored worst than against any other European teams included England, Germany or SPAIN.

Dell don't take this argewing personaly, also not anyone from Spain as well. It's just seems unjustified by my opinion and than I become more agressive and angry:mischief: :D

well.. statistics.. if we'd go by that Holland will probably win against Argentina. The only time we lost to them was in the World Cup Final of 1978..

That's the past.. the match will happen in '06.

edit:nevermind

We all agreed on Group C as the group of death.

Italy will win their group. The Czech Republic is not what it was 2 years ago, Ghana has only a handful of players of a high level and the United States will go down fighting... I don't think Italy will lose a game in the group phase (although I'm really hoping for Brazil-Italy!!!)

I dunno, Italy is not as good as they claim to be.. as usual :rolleyes: We simply don't have the talent enough to win the WC.

We may qualify as 1st, but it will be tough.

Dell19 said:
Brazil - Italy probably wouldn't be a bad final.

I think that Brazil will get Italy either in the last 16 or in the last 8 stages, if both proceed, regardless of their positions in their groups.

Brazil will kill.

Tough draw for us Americans, but if we can advance, we will definitely establish our credentials. It's not impossible, but it will be tough.

First, @willem, you may have tried to make a joke, but in reality, you made an insult. Point, back to topic:

I'm really dissapointed with that draw, France, now, you gotta be joking. It should be forbidden to get a team you had in the qualification. Remember, we got them already in Portugal '04. That's just enough. Togo, Yes, I got my exot, that's the only plus point of the draw. South Corea, nothing more than interesting from a sport point of view: They won't be as good as '02 at home, so average. Which means that I'm optimistic that we will reach place two or even one. But that means what? We get Spain. AGAIN! in '94, they were our opponent after the group phase, right, exactly the same match, dammit. But of course, they're interesting opponent nevertheless ;)

mfG mitsho

mitsho said:
I'm really dissapointed with that draw, France, now, you gotta be joking. It should be forbidden to get a team you had in the qualification. Remember, we got them already in Portugal '04. That's just enough.
Same goes for us ! :goodjob: There are many teams I would like to play against, but we get the Swiss once again. :blush: The only thing I'm interested in with that is to eventually beat you with no contestation after those 2 draws from the qualifying phase, and this on our first match (good for the rest). I'm hoping for a France-Tunisia in 8thFinal, I think it is possible. I have a Tunisian friend (not French), and their current manager is Roger Lemerre, who had the same position in the French team in 1998-2002 (won the EC 2000, awfully lost the WC 2002), just after our God, Aimé Jacquet (won the WC 1998).

willemvanoranje said:
We all agreed on Group C as the group of death.

Italy will win their group. The Czech Republic is not what it was 2 years ago, Ghana has only a handful of players of a high level and the United States will go down fighting... I don't think Italy will lose a game in the group phase (although I'm really hoping for Brazil-Italy!!!)
I think Italy look very strong right now, but they always start slow. I'd be extremely surprised to see them win three games in the group.

We (Brazil) got a very good draw in the group but a potentially very complicated second round game.

The biggest story in our group will be: when will Ronaldo score his 15th World Cup goal and break Muller's record? He has 12 right now, I think he could do it in the group stages if things go our way.

Italy has never been convincing in the group stages. With Ghana and Czech, there is trouble looming.
What I personally hope, that either England or Germany screw it up a little to see a match of both of them in the round of 16 :D

Overall, I hope we get a much better world cup than 4 years ago.

And I think starting in a difficult or easy group doesn't matter that much. Netherlands have a strong team and group of death shouldn't matter.

I also hope Togo can make it, their group looks doable. I always fancy some underdogs.

By the way, are we having some competition here going on during the WC, some sort of predicting the games competition. Would be real fun.

willemvanoranje said:
Let me guess:
These teams have only played each other that one time?;)

Since 1968 (last English victory) Sweden and England have faced off eleven times:
Swe 4 - 7 - 0 Eng

There's a trend there at least. Sweden has a surprisingly easy time playing England compared to just about every other top rated team.

These teams know each other inside out, no surprises, likely very constricted play since both teams will be trying to ruin the other guys game, and prolly succeed.
A tie is the most probable result.

But on the other hand England has to break this trend sometime.

I hate to see Angola and Mexico in the same group. They will be two of the four teams I will support in WC Finals. (Argentina and Ivory Coast are the other two:cry: )

mitsho said:
First, @willem, you may have tried to make a joke, but in reality, you made an insult. Point, back to topic:

I'm not sure what you are refering too.. don't tell me this is about FC Thun? If that's the case then I apologize to you, since I did not know that the pressence of a Swiss club in the group phase of the Championsleague was that important. My remark was purely linguistic, and linguistically I had a point..

Verbose said:
Let me guess:
These teams have only played each other that one time?;)

Haha noooo... Argentina and Holland have played each other 7 times. 4 times in friendlies (2 draws, 2 wins for Holland), and in the World Cups of 1974 (4-0 to Holland in 2nd phase), 1978 (Argentina wins in the final) and 1998 (2-1 to Holland in quarter-finals)..

mitsho said:
I'm really dissapointed with that draw, France, now, you gotta be joking. It should be forbidden to get a team you had in the qualification. Remember, we got them already in Portugal '04.

I know how you feel.. I'm happy we finally did not have a chance to draw the Chez Republic hehe..

And could someone please tell me the Portuguese name for Côte d'Ivoire?

wow, i didn't even know there had been the seed,because of italian journalists on strike :mad:

I think we had a bad deal this time. Czech rep. is scaring, the USA have improved, and there's a huge risk of getting Brazil in the second phase (that means death)

Alone said:
THIS WOULD BE FUNNY IF IT'S NOT SAD!

SPAIN in first pot. SPAIN IN A FIRST POT!!! SPAIN IN A FIRST POT?!?!?:eek: :mad: :mad:

Sorry Spanish people but this is redicilous...

Yea I know MONEY MONEY MONEY

BUT THIS IS TOO MUCH!!!

The Netherlands delegation should not left the other day pot desission session but they should, in good old NATO way, bombard em. They diserved that much more than some other in real political life...

???
What's up with Spain?
Why shouldn't they deserve a place in the first pot?
Who should have that place...Canada?

willemvanoranje said:
Haha noooo... Argentina and Holland have played each other 7 times. 4 times in friendlies (2 draws, 2 wins for Holland), and in the World Cups of 1974 (4-0 to Holland in 2nd phase), 1978 (Argentina wins in the final) and 1998 (2-1 to Holland in quarter-finals).

And I always had issues with that game.

First, because it's Argentina, archi-rivals of Brazil (even though commentary here always say that it's more what Argentina likes to think than the actual reality, they are one of the strongest sides in the world but we are stil the ones everybody wants to beat), but, in this case in particular, because of the ridiculous story with peru on the stage games, when Peru's goalie gave the team away so Argentina (the home team at that cup and the place of birth of the given goalie) could qualify over Brazil in the average of goals scored/conceded criteria.

Second, because Argentina was playing at home, a helluva advantage; the Netherlands was the best team of the time, and the rightful champions should football be completely fair (though, as I am, I should say that if it was not to be them, than Argentina was not worst than others candidates, it was among the top dogs).

willemvanoranje said:
And could someone please tell me the Portuguese name for Côte d'Ivoire?

Costa do Marfim.

Regards :).

Top Bottom