• Eiffel Tower

Votes: 100 28.1%
  • Manhattan Project

Votes: 81 22.8%
  • Other (specify)

Votes: 23 6.5%

• Total voters
spammikone said:
SETI is useless. You don't need that extra science in end of game, when there is only few techs left to research (except you want to research future techs, but i don't really ever do that). And often your cities can build the research labs in a few turns.

Well, if you'd like to get a better score, then SETI is very good. I tend to go for as big a score as I can before I get bored enough to launch my spaceship (of course, by this point the AI has been reduced to one city).

Women's Suffrage is not that good either. If you want to hold units outside cities, then perhaps fundamentalism is the right government for that. And luxury sliders, plus those entertainers do better job anyway.

If you want the MASSIVE advantages of Democracy and to be able to fight a war, then it's absolutely vital. I often do that.

Those wonders in that poll are all great. Except Manhattan Project, that doesn't give any bonus to your nation (except score, but who watch that?). It can be usefull though, if you are very advanced nation compared to others, and can drop nukes without fearing that somebody else does that to you.

I thought all those wonders were towards the bottom of the list meself.

The Eiffel Tower is completely useless to the way I play the game. It's very very rare that I ever stray from having a spotless reputation. The only benefit for building it is in the game score as it's not even as if it offers any benefit to the AI to give you a reason for building it to stop them getting it!

At least Eiffel Tower doesn't hurt youwhen you own it. Manhatten project is something you don't wnat to build and usually warents immediate attack as soon as someone else starts building it.

My list of wonders ranked from best to worst:
(I usually play on King or Emperor)

1. Hoover Dam
2. Adam Smith
3. Michaelangelo's Chapel
4. Leo's Workshop
5. Magellan's Exp.
6. Js Bach (lower than Mike's 'cause you have to research a dead-end to get it)
7. Sun Tzu
8. Colossus
9. Pyramids
10. King Richard
11. Great Library (I've been playing the game since the very beginning and have yet to figure out how a free tech can be a bad thing. Unless it's communism, which GL can't give you. It's not like you have to sacrifice your own tech lines for this.)
12. Seti Program (Sure it comes late, but I like getting to Stealth as soon as possible, and even worse, I can't let anyone else get a tech boost.)
13. Women's Suffrage (eliminates the need to ever research Communism)
14. Isaac Newton (beats CO because I'm more likely to grab Theory of Gravity early than Astronomy early.)
15. Darwin's Voyage
16. Oracle (lets me have bigger cities early on, which I like. Sucks when it expires though, unless you get Mike's in time, cause there really is no other remedy.)
17. Copernicus
18. Statue Of Liberty
19. Hanging Gardens (now this is one I think expires too early.)
20. Cure For Cancer (way too expensive when all it gives you is 1 happy person per city when most of your cities are 15+ anyway.
21. Marco Polo (yeah, I know it helps you trade and everything, which is the best way to win the game, but if sit around building caravans and freights all game all the time, it'll bore me.)
22. Litehouse (it's underrated, but ultimately not very useful. I think the effects should have been made permanent.)
23. Great Wall (I build this so unoften that I can't even remember now what makes it expire. At least it comes during a time where it's ok to reject the forced peace offers.)
24. The Apollo (It's nice having the whole map, but every civ gets every benefit this wonder brings. Who cares. Why does every civ have to discover each tech on its own, but whatever it is that The Apollo brings that enables anyone to build a spaceship is shared by whoever builds The Apollo? Makes no sense at all. Make them build their own space program.)
25. Shakespeare (I probably build this about once in every 20 games, and actually utilize it once in every 20 of those games. Does nothing.)
26. Eiffel Tower (I don't want the benefits this brings.)
27. Manhattan (Same here...)
28. United Nations (and same here. I hate this wonder and I avoid building it at all costs. The manual & strategy guide tries to make it look like this does us a favor by giving us a 50% chance of senate interference. But if the civ you're fighting demands your money, and you don't have UN, you don't need to worry about the senate. If I'm in a war, I will not tolerate not getting the last shot, and I just can't stand the feeling whenever the Ai can take one of my size-2 cities, start diplomacy, and be on the wrong side of the coin when the senate raises the white flag behind my back. I like to destroy this wonder so that nobody can hide behind it when I'm attacking them, too. What a pain.)

The BMC said:
...<snip>...
I've been playing the game since the very beginning and have yet to figure out how a free tech can be a bad thing. Unless it's communism, which GL can't give you.
...<snip>...
eliminates the need to ever research Communism
I'll reserve my comments about your actual rankings and get to something you mentioned a couple times...

It's been awhile since i've been real active with this so maybe I've forgotten somehing, but why is Communism a bad tech to research? Communism leads to Espionage, and Espionage=Spies=Awesome.

By default, the cathedral makes three unhappy citizens content. There are two techs that affect this default number. Theology adds an additional content citizen to that total. Communism subtracts one (electronics also increases the effectiveness of colosseums from 3 to 4). So if I'm way ahead of everyone in techs, I won't sit around and wait for everyone to catch up; I'll just go ahead and take communism so I can get my spies, as I probably won't be having any attitude issues anyway. On the other hand, if there's another civ out there that I can abuse for some techs I don't have, I'll pick my way around communism and grab their espionage and guerilla warfare (leading to labor union). That way, with Theology and Electronics, I can make my attitude improvements better.

Sun Tzu's War Academy. By the time I'm building a military, I'll be so far into the game it'll be obsolete. Hell, by the time I get Feudalism it's obsolete.

Other- Great Wall... even on diety its a waste, I mean if you can't stop a computer without having a wall to force him into treaties what's wrong with you? :). Anyhow, lots of other better early wonders to get and Wall is totally worthless in mulitplayer except for the free city walls. Expires too early to be that useful I think.

Aquilon said:
Sun Tzu's War Academy. By the time I'm building a military, I'll be so far into the game it'll be obsolete. Hell, by the time I get Feudalism it's obsolete.
On the other hand, if you build the Great Library, you will probably get stuck with Feudalism a couple millenia before you want it and you will have to pay extra to rushbuy stuff because you lose warriors, however, you probably won't be able to afford to rushbuy anything anyway because your research costs will be so high that you can't afford to dedicate any trade to gold... :p

OK, I've had my fun. :D ;)

The Lighthouse, I'm not seafaring enough.

I think that Lighthouse is pretty (read: totally) useless. If I fail (or failed) to get one of the wonders it's been this.

Great Library ws pretty cool at higher levels, where, after having built it you could firstly concentrate on money instead of too much own research and build/rush marketplaces and banks. The techs came in anyway from the other civs so that you were never really falling behind. And only after that go for more libs and unis. When these were completed it was research time. :) On lower levels just have it so that the AI does't have it.

As for Manhatten and Eiffel tower they are useless too, but they come at a time when it doesn't really matter any more.

The Oracle has some use - even if not that much.

Almost all of the wonders have some usefulness, depending on the circumstances. If you automatically bypass them, then you are missing something from the game. The only two exceptions: eiffel-tower and manhattan-project.

Actually, I've used Eiffel in some situations, particularly OCCs where I stop gifting techs in the late game and the other civs get Hostile. Right after the ship goes off, the first Wonder I build is Eiffel if it is available. Most attitudes shift to Neutral or Uncooperative, and once enough time has passed that no one can catch my ship I gift them everything but NucFis. Eiffel spans the 10 year gap.

The tower hands down. Waste of time and shields. GL and the Project running neck and neck for second.

I'm french but i don't understand what The Eiffel Tower does ;)
Prolly the worst wonder really.

masochist said:
I'm french but i don't understand what The Eiffel Tower does ;)
Prolly the worst wonder really.
The Eiffel Tower improves you civ's reputation.

its a tie IMO between the Eiffel Tower and the lighthouse. Whomever made the votes against the manhattan project...you have been warned :) heh, just kidding or am i?;) :ar15: :ar15: :ar15: :ar15: :ar15:

Top Bottom