Would someone like to finish my games?

HoustonsOwn

Chieftain

i probably play 3-4 games per week, around this time (7:30p CST) and never finish them.....i stop at random points.....and when i start back up, i always want to start anew

anyway, i just started a game and thought that maybe this would interest some of y'all......correct my mistakes or just want a really random start for the hell of it......or maybe be further ahead than you have been!? (probably not tho, i'm just a Prince player)

or not....and this thread can just slowly disappear

:cool:

Half gaming is a very common "trait" among Civvers, heh, I suffer from it myself. I currently have 3 or 4 games I am "playing", and I will probably only actually finish 1 or 2.

Here are some tips I have found that help me complete more of my games.

1. Play series games - playing along with a group of others who play the same map can not only help you finish, but help you learn.
2. Post reports on those games. When you are forced to actually write down some of your thought processes, you will find that you actually WANT to get to the next stage and do the next report. And naturally, this also helps to strengthen your play.
3. Play harder games. Harder doesnt necessarily mean higher difficulty. It could mean playing weaker leaders, or maps that are trickier. I often find a big reason I dont finish a game is that there is no point, its basically over and I have won. Harder games take longer to get to that "this ones locked up" point, hence you may play it longer.
4. Just hit enter! For myself, I have a tendency to over-manage my empire. And while hitting enter sooner will lead to more mistakes, it will also get me one turn closer to finishing. Very few mistakes, by themselves, will cost you the game, so dont be afraid to make a few in the interest of getting on with it. Eventually, you will stop making so many mistakes, and become able to cycle turns faster.
5. Stop reloading and replaying to get that "Perfect Empire". I am not saying you cheat, but its common for half-gamers to go back and re-do things just a tad differently to try and get that Perfect Empire. I know this is one of my biggest faults, which is why I try to play Series and RPCs clean, no reloads (except obvious misclicks). Sure, I lose a lot of Wonders by 1 or 2 turns, and I forget to shore up a border city when I DoW and lose it, but it makes the next turn that much more interesting, and the next, and the next. That "next turn" is the key to finishing.

Those are just a few of the tips I use to try to get more actual completed games. I still start a LOT of games I never finish, but at least I finish a few now and then, heh. especially series games and ones I post reports on.

I suffer the same fate. In fact, I start a new game more often than finish one. And it is not even because I am sure I won or I am sure I lost. It is just...well, because.

Be it because there was too much time in between (as I keep reminding everyone, my play time is limited to two evenings a week tops) or be it because I simply am not happy with my empire. And here I think I am really bad. I have this glorious idea of how to make perfect cities (gold here, science there, military production there. this has to have this, that wonder there, etc. etc.) and then when I find that the map (or my play) deviates from my little plan, I tend to get anxious and go like "awww, this is not the cities I wanted". And a new game is started with a few clicks... So I actually end up wasting an evening's worth of playtime (i.e. 5 hours) starting 3 games and finishing none instead of playing one properly and actually finish it... it's a weird behavior I'd like to get rid of...

cheers,
wannabewarlord

Hehe, I recognise myself very well in this. I don't think I've finished an "off-line" game in a long time, mostly because that if it goes a few days/a week until next time I play, I feel like something new would be more fun. But when I've been involved in some "on-line" game (do not confuse this with multiplayer...) like the Nobles club, LHC or the likes I tend to try and finish the game, however badly it goes.

I suffer the same fate. In fact, I start a new game more often than finish one. And it is not even because I am sure I won or I am sure I lost. It is just...well, because.

Yeah, this is me too. Especially now that I'm moved up to Emperor, whenever I start a game I have this thought that says "This is Emperor. You can't make any mistakes." so I go about everything very carefully, until I inevitably make a really stupid mistake (like letting Brennus settle a city behind my borders in my last game... how did I miss that settler? Damn). Then I get immediately annoyed and quit to desktop without saving.

I'm very aware that I can't play a perfect game, and frankly I'm pretty sure most of them would end up in a win if I could make it to the medieval era, but I just get annoyed with my playing really quickly and lose my patience.

And also adding my voice to those who are much more motivated to finish games they post here on the forums. I did this in the Pick Your Leader series a couple of times and both of those were very good victories for me.

Edit: It just happened again, and I had such an amazing start... but blew it on a dumb decision to axe-rush Joao even though I knew two of his cities were on hills. Should've been more conservative.

Be it because there was too much time in between (as I keep reminding everyone, my play time is limited to two evenings a week tops) or be it because I simply am not happy with my empire. And here I think I am really bad. I have this glorious idea of how to make perfect cities (gold here, science there, military production there. this has to have this, that wonder there, etc. etc.) and then when I find that the map (or my play) deviates from my little plan, I tend to get anxious and go like "awww, this is not the cities I wanted". And a new game is started with a few clicks... So I actually end up wasting an evening's worth of playtime (i.e. 5 hours) starting 3 games and finishing none instead of playing one properly and actually finish it... it's a weird behavior I'd like to get rid of...

cheers,
wannabewarlord

Yeah, I'm the same. Winning is nice but the real fun and satisfaction I get from trying to build the perfect empire. Getting those monster cities up, seeing culture borders expand. I love it. I don't care to win if I can't do it in style. This is closely related to my thread about monster cities by the way. http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=286452

Well, my "HoF" consists of 6-10 finished games, of which some are losses. Half of those games are OCC's which I have played trough in one sitting. I've had the game for ~1,5 years and I have started hundreds of games. So I'd say it's pretty rare to finish a game for me.

For me there's a big difference between taking a game from the forum or playing offline, if i take a forum game i tend to play it out to the finish unless it's very obvious that i'm winning or losing. Offline i'm mostly testing openings/beelines so these games were never meant to finish.

Funny, I am quite different from the majority. I tend to always finish out a game if I can get over the hump of arround 500 AD in reasonable shape.

However, for me at emperor I tend to get stuck with certain leaders restartinging while some I get aoff to a great start right away. Examples are Justinian and Hannibal, Justinian always seams slow (2 techs for any military, no starting food techs, and forget trying for an early religion) while Hannibal is dynamite with Fishing (instant 3 commerce if there is seafood) and Mining (BW right away). AS I am playing civilization in alphabetical order to force myself to play all at emperoro, I keep bouncing between these two, both coming close to space wins but just missing out.

A long story short, I tend to stick with games longer than need by myself.

I also start far more games than I finish
No tips on finishing from me since I'm so bad at it
Partly its because I tend to reach a point where I think I can win if I go for a cultural/diplomatic/space victory but can't be bothered to try for a conquest/domination victory, partly its because i enjoy the exploration and expansion part of the game the most
I did finish a Darius game yesterday but I've promised myself not to play him again until I go up a difficulty level, hes just too OP if you manage a couple of early conquests with him ( and I managed 5 AIs by the end of the Classical Era :D)

I finish the VAST majority of my games. I think the amount of time it takes to play one out is a big factor here - I usually play games start to finish in one sitting.

I think the amount of time it takes to play one out is a big factor here - I usually play games start to finish in one sitting.

Yeah, this is the problem for me. The more time and "sittings" the games take, the more of them will get abandoned. Raising the game speed or lessening the micromanagement could help, but I already play at normal and at quick the game becomes stupid. I'm a perfectionist when it comes to civ, and I just need to micro everything - If I don't play/micro optimally, it gets boring. It may sound stupid, but one of the reasons I stop playing is when I don't know what to do with a worker.

Yeah I guess I'm not known for micro - although it's not utterly terrible (I'm pretty fast from my RTS days). I play epic so my game times range from 1.5 hours to 5 (5 is a really, really slow game for me where I take my time and win something like late space or domination. Once I get used to it BUG should help me improve my micro enough to make some ok showings on immortal.

My favorite victory condition is "Have the highest score at that time between 1800 and 1900 at which I get bored running over infantry with tanks and want to try a new leader."

That said I probably need to work on conquering the world sooner, I just never seem to build enough units until the industrial age.

I also have the same worker problem as Zanttu, having workers with nothing to do is just this big weight hanging on my fun. Do you eventually start disbanding workers?

I just automate them and tell them to leave old improvements if I seriously can't find anything useful anymore ^_^. Later on I take them out of their stupidity briefly to railroad important tiles/hook up key resources...unless I know I've won and then they stay automated forever other than hooking up oil.

Top Bottom