WWII Europe: Small, Fast & Beautiful for IV - Discussion & Creation Diary

Spies: Yep, I forgot about that alltogether. I'll copy-paste the spy units for the nations (except Poland) which have their own Palaces.

Damn, I forgot to fix that... There were quite a few of those to begin with, but apparently I forgot to change that tile. If you want to fix it yourself, open the CvWWIIsfnbEvents.py(in assets\python) and remove "'34,26':'GRASS', ". There's only one such text in the entire file, so you can't go wrong ;) But still, backup the file (select it, ctrl+c, ctrl+v) before editing, just in case.

Truhart said:
SGRIG: My attached file keeps vanishing and I upload it again. The link works now.

Reading the descriptions of armored vehicles, the PzKpfw III would fit the performance in this MOD of the Pz II now used but should be maybe a little faster than Pz 38t (like 4-5).

The German Mech Infantry is more simular to what the Pz II would be capable of, being like 3-5.

The Pz 38t would be 4-4 stat instead of 5-3, being as strong as a PzKpfw III, but not as fast and maneuverable.

Then we move to medium tanks with the PzKpfw IV being something like 5-4, stronger but not faster than the PzKpfw III.

PzKpfw V (Panther) would give speed of PzKpfw III and much more power. A stat of 6-5 would be accurate, with a T-34 being 5-5.

PzKpfw VI (Tiger) would probably be 7-3 stat.

The link is broken or corrupted, could you post it again?

BETA 3.30.1

If you ask for a country trade, it always is offered by AI for free. Of course depending which country you are playing it is useful or not.

In my opinion a small review of the relationships between countries at 1939 should be done. Maybe a historian fellow can help here. I understand that some set are arranged to provoke certain actions, but i.e. Germans were not furious against USSR, neither GBR.

USSR starts with no ammo production? nor even the chance to produce any unit? :) well anyhow it take at least 8 weeks to produce the first unit.

Maybe light tanks should only be given bonuses when attacking infantry? And infantry given bonuses when attacking tanks? This will sure look messy, since each UNIT_CLASS will have to be listed separately, but it will give a chance for infantry to counterattack. So an all-tank force without infantry support will have lower chances of success. Just an idea.

@LaCiencia

The Problem is, of course, that if you look at the Germans in 1939, they weren't up to a war with neither France nor GB. In 1939 only Poland was their target. But if you let them take Poland and not go to war with the Aliied powers, then there's not much point creating a World War II Scenario. I guess that one simply has to provoke certain events.

Trades: I know about these, and I'll try to fix them by making all of them in the OR spot, but they wil, still all be required by python. If that doesn't solve it, I'll have to use the AIweights.

I have redone the relationships, and they will be in the next recent.

The soviets don't have ammo to, atleast for a while, reduce their production capabilities. They do have a huge amount of infantry in the next version though ;)

sgrig: you have no idea how messy that would be... Hopefully, with the SDK, I can make an attack & defense bonus vs UNITCOMBAT's, instead of having just 1 bonus.

if Russia started with ammo, they would be so powerful they would easily take most of Germany in early 1940. It is well balanced now. They must improve war infrastructure.

Speaking of trading with the AI, in one of my games as hungary, I found that Germany would give me any city it had just captured. Same with France and England, I found. This is especially usefull right after vichy flip, so as Hungary, I got Germany to let me manage most of the Vichy areas.
:cool:
If you are not playing as Germany or Russia, do they ever go to war? has anyone seen this in one of their games?

I do not believe the USSR requires ANY improvement to its starting situation. After 20 odd turns the USSR takes over in population, score, units etc. it assimilates most minors before a real fight etc etc.. as it stands i believe it is realistic. russia should have poor, v poor, infrastructure partly for historical realism and otherwise to provide some element of balance to the game. Just try a war against the USSR by mid 1940 or early 41. the stream of tanks and infantry simply does not end.
thus its cool that in this game the only chance of weakening the USSR lies in hitting them early whilst infrastructure sucks !

I could make the USSR a bit weaker by auto-giving them something like the courthouse (which reduces the upkeep of cities by 90%, amongst other things) with something less effective. Same thing for GER, they could get something that makes them even stronger, to counter the soviets. GBR is getting so much stuff, as long as it gets atleast half of the lend-lease traffic, they're fine.

Is the Spaviero Bomber supposed to have greater strength than its peers? This seems unbalancing to me, because even when I unlock the 2nd level of bombers, the spaviero has the same strength and is cheaper to build.

Paasky: Here is the file again attached to this email. I greatly abridged it to only include combat units of interest. By looking over the descriptions, you can compare strengths and choose the ones you would like to include in the game.

The attached file is called ww2 combat unit.txt

Attachments

• ww2 combat units.txt
    42.1 KB · Views: 58
See my later messege for my unit strength suggestions.

Edited that file, and the game works fine. I started a new game as Norway, at (whatever it was called, the default "noble" level), and its rather...amusing, so far. The battle between the allied and axis goes on as expected, France taken, and fighting in Africa going on still.

The Soviet is not at war with Axis, but with several other countries, including Turkey, Yugoslavia and Bulgaria.

Germany declared war (or was it Hungary? hmm) on us in early 1940, but failed to launch a meaningful invasion to Norway, one convoy was sunk at sea, while a small detachment of units was annhilated outside Oslo. In early 1941 peace was made with Germany for a tech. (Yeah..I guess I should have chosen a higher difficulty)

Having a rather large army with nothing to do, I decided to make even with the Swedes for their century long opression, and went to war and captured Sweden after 5 or so turns.
After that the permanent alliance of Spain/Portugal and Bulgaria declared war on me (late 41) , and invaded Iceland..time to rebuild my navy a little bid and get that back I guess :)

The city sizes are somewhat big, but well..its civ afterall, so I guess there isnt alot to do about that, arctic ones like on Greenland is size 10, etc.

Edit:

January 1942 - The Germans once again declared war, though I am not overly concerned, now that the former Swedes have agreed on being good law abiding citizens of the new Norwegian Empire, my army is stronger than ever before.

I'm playing as Romania in the default level, and it's really fun. I've conqured all the other Eastern European minor powers, and was halfway through Turkey when the Soviets declared on me. I'm bombing the heck out of Stalin's tanks, and had to fall back on the Turkish front.

I think it's a bit overpowering allowing tanks with 100% withdraw ability - As long as you have enough defensive units, you'll never lose a tank. I have about 30 panzer II-F's now, and have only lost a couple all game.

After doing some additional research (between playing :lol: ), I learned that Paasky was very accurate in using the Pz II as the primary battle tank at the start of the war for Germany. When Poland was invaded, Pz 35(t), Pz 38(t), and Pz II made up practically all of the German armored forces.

However between October 1939 and April 1940 while preparing for the invasion of Belgium and France, 400 PzKfw IIIs were produced and distributed among the Panzer Divisions that conquered France.

My thoughts regarding unit strength of armored vehicles is a connection between the main armament and the Combat Value.
20mm cannon = 3 + bonus vs infantry (Pz II)
37mm cannon = 4 (Pz 38t)
50mm L/41 = 5 (PzKfw III)
50mm L/60 = 5 + bonus vs tanks (PzKfw IIIL)
75mm L/24 = 5 + bonus vs infantry (PzKfw IVD)
75mm L/43 = 6 (PzKfw IVF2)
75mm L/48 = 6 + bonus vs tanks (PzKfw IVH)

Allied tanks would follow simular guidelines with Brittish 3pdr, 6pdr, 17pdr, ect..

Here's a link to a page on armored vehicles of WWII, it's got quite some information on the qualities and deficiencies of the various models; I guess you know it it already, but I'll post this anyway.

http://www.panzerlexikon.de/

And yes: unfortunately, It's in German.

See ya...

Been playing abit longer in my Norway game, mid 42, and the Germans are wasting incredible amounts of air units against my air defense (Meteor fighters,thanks to British Trade).

I love the mod, but there is one thing that is generally very unbalancing, and it is the high withdrawal rates, that, with promotions can reach and exceed 100%.

Various artillery units, electro submarines etc, that can attack with no chance of dying whatsoever (as long as they can go back to base or is protected from counterattakcs the next turn) is very wrong.

I think high withdrawal chance for artillery is correct, as it represents bombardement from a distance, and the damage to the artillery as running out of ammo. However possibly to make things more balanced, artillery should be allowed to cause collateral damage to fewer units. Currently it's 10, so with one artillery strike most units in a city become damaged. So maybe it should be lowered to 3 or 4.

However the withdrawal chance for tanks probably should be lowered.

Paasky, what sources did you use for terrain and resource placement? I'm currently creating a huge european map (109x66) and placing these is just making me sick because I got no proper source for that. Can you give me a good link or map?

Top Bottom