1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

XCOM 2

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by thecrazyscot, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Wolfbeckett

Wolfbeckett Jerkin' and nonsense.

It was difficult to see because it didn't feed into damage reduction at all. In XCOM Defense is what you get by being in cover, AKA reduced chance for enemies to hit you. Let's say you have an alien who has a 75% shot on your trooper who has a 0 defense stat. Give him a 5 defense stat, the alien will now have a 70% shot instead. It's a little weird because we're used to video games where defense means "you take less damage" but in XCOM it means "you get hit less often".

2. sherbz

sherbz Emperor

Oh i see. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I dont suppose you have an equally enlightening explanation as to how damage reduction is calculated? It seems as though it is a percentage based upon weapon type and can be influenced by cover. So for a unit in a full cover, if they are hit, they have 20% damage reduction. So 1 damage out of 5 will be absorbed. And a robotic enemy has a higher percentage, like 40% (or whatever).

I thought defense factored into this somehow, but that does not appear to be the case.

3. tesb

tesb Emperor

in long war there is a separate damage reduction stat. for high cover it is 1 for low cover it is 0.5 (i.e. 50% chance to reduce incoming damage by 1). there are also a lot of items and abilities that add damage reduction, e.g. titan armor + low cover gives 1 damage reduction (both have 0.5). you can get around 6-8 damage reduction on soldiers in the later parts of the game.

4. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

XCOM2 will be released Feb 5, 2016

5. Michkov

Michkov Emperor

Guess I have to talk to my family then over Christmas, bummer

6. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

Huh, I thought it was coming out in time for Christmas. I guess they don't want to compete against the Fallout 4 induced trace the gaming community will be in.

7. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Jokerfied Western Male

Hmm, a shame. But it's for the better, given the normal state of new Firaxis releases.

8. sherbz

sherbz Emperor

Just seen this. Dammit. Still, i would rather they take the time and make sure its finished. The game looks as though it is pretty much there. I am guessing they are working on the balance and over all strategy layer.

9. ImperialGuard

ImperialGuard Prince

Real bummer :cry: I thought it was November :confused: was planning to skip the expansion for Beyond Earth and focus on XCOM2, guess not

10. sherbz

sherbz Emperor

Play Fallout 4 instead? I seem to remember that fallout 4 was announced just after XCOM2. And I think i could hear the collective groan all the way over here in the UK from Firaxis, as no one would want to be releasing the same time as that.

11. J-man

J-man Deity

Was thinking the same thing. Rather wait a little long than having a buggy release, perhaps Firaxis has learned.

12. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

I've got too many games to play as it is, and the long war is loooong even when toned down.

13. edingess

edingess Warlord

Seconded. I'm not even finished my first game yet.

14. edingess

edingess Warlord

15. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

The PAX prime panel is up:

Link to video.

One XCOM2 feature which I am sure fans will love is that they will be able to save their customized characters in a pool for future games and share their pool with other players if they want.

16. sherbz

sherbz Emperor

Here is to hoping that the novel will come out before xmas. I cant talk to my family for the whole time :p

EDIT: Yes it is - November 10th. Thats my stocking present sorted

17. Wolfbeckett

Wolfbeckett Jerkin' and nonsense.

Wish this game was coming out this year, I've got pretty much nothing on the horizon until either this comes out or Bethesda releases the mod tools for FO4. Still, I guess it's good that they aren't rushing it, I'd rather have it "right" instead of "right now".

18. VCrakeV

VCrakeV Prince

Did you catch the title of the book? I've been trying to look it up. If I end up buying it, I'll need to know what it is. :p

19. sherbz

sherbz Emperor

20. ls612

ls612 Deity Moderator

I've been reading about what they are planning to do with XCOM 2 and modding, and it sounds extremely exciting. Not only are they planning to release an XCOM modbuddy, but they are going to release the gameplay DLL source, like for civ 4 and 5, AND the Unreal editor they use internally to develop new assets, AND 50 GB or so of their own development assets. This is really more support for modding than I've seen for any game in a long while.