XML (Advanced) Guide to Adding Buildings and Wonders to Brave New World

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Modding Tutorials & Reference' started by LeeS, May 2, 2014.

1. chiphead

chiphead Chieftain

Thank you for a fantastic resource, LeeS.
    Just wondering, do you know of any mechanic to add a National Wonder requiring either of two buildings in every city? Something like Nuclear OR Solar plant, for instance.

2. LeeS

LeeS Imperator

Not with XML alone. You could do it through lua programs. But if you wanted to pursue that you'd be better off starting a thread in the main creation and customization forum so you could be more likely to get advice from forum members who have more lua experience than I do.

3. bc1

bc1

Great info compilation! too bad I did not notice this before coding EUI's tooltips...
    doesn't this command give city garrison ranged unit the indirect fire ability (i.e. shoot anywhere in range ignoring obstacles) ?

Cheers

4. LeeS

LeeS Imperator

I'll have to look for that effect in the game I'm running. I'm running my Barbarian Spawn Increase mod in a game I'm currently playing for fun and I'm regularly being swamped by barbarians so I should have a good opportunity to check that.

5. PawelS

PawelS Ancient Druid

AllowsRangeStrike does nothing (checked in the DLL source code).

6. bc1

bc1

it does look though in the DLL to be some leftover from a game design iteration in which buildings bearing this tag were required to allow city range strikes

7. LeeS

LeeS Imperator

Thanks guys (guys ?). I'll update that section in the next day or so. Does explain why I never could discern any difference between a city with walls and one without so far as the city ranged attacks go.

8. Unedjis

Unedjis Warlord

Just wanted to drop in to say a huge THANK YOU, this guide is absolutely fantastic and has helped me a lot, not just to understand how things work but it also gave me lots of inspiration by bringing up options I wasn't aware existed.

9. cd5ssmffan

cd5ssmffan Chieftain

Hey,
    anyone know where the file containing all of the text keys is located?

10. LeeS

LeeS Imperator

There is no single file containing all the text keys.

They are contained within folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\assets\DLC\Expansion2\Gameplay\XML for BNW. But as I recall they also inherit some of the text-key definitions from the Vanilla or G&K folders. A somewhat more unified place to look is to use an SQL database viewer program and look at the contents of the Localization-X files within folder C:\Users\[YourNameHere]\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\cache

cd5ssmffan likes this.