You favorite tabletop RPGs and why

Our group mostly plays D&D 3.5/Pathfinder or Star Wars Saga Edition, but we've also played Palladium's Heroes Unlimited and a couple of others over the years.

In recent years our group has played D&D, Pathfinder, Runequest and Call of Cthulhu.
Besides those the other games I've refereed long campaigns for are Pendragon and Vampire the Masquerade.
I'd say my RPGing is about 75% fantasy, horror coming 2nd, and SF being well-behind.
Yeah, I think my gaming group way back when was similar. Probably 2/3rds was D&D, then some Champions, then maybe 10% was a bunch of other things. Chaosium's Call of Cthulhu. TSR's Boot Hill. I think we tried Fantasy Games Unlimited's Bushido after seeing Seven Samurai for the first time. Except for a brief foray into TSR's Gamma World, we didn't play much sci-fi either. I always kind of wanted to, but it never really happened. This was before so many of the great space opera tv shows came out, so maybe we were just stumped for inspiration. We were watching ST: TNG at the time, but DS-9 hadn't come out yet. Then you had Babylon-5, Farscape, BSG 2004 and The Expanse, so there's a ton of material out there now.

Our group mostly plays D&D 3.5/Pathfinder or Star Wars Saga Edition, but we've also played Palladium's Heroes Unlimited and a couple of others over the years.
Gosh, I'd forgotten about Palladium games. I don't remember ever playing Heroes, but we tried Beyond the Supernatural. I think we were interested in another horror game after Chaosium's Cthulhu. And I think we incorporated elements of TMNT because I remember playing a character who was some kind of "man & animal" hybrid.

Yeah, I think my gaming group way back when was similar. Probably 2/3rds was D&D, then some Champions, then maybe 10% was a bunch of other things. Chaosium's Call of Cthulhu. TSR's Boot Hill. I think we tried Fantasy Games Unlimited's Bushido after seeing Seven Samurai for the first time. Except for a brief foray into TSR's Gamma World, we didn't play much sci-fi either. I always kind of wanted to, but it never really happened. This was before so many of the great space opera tv shows came out, so maybe we were just stumped for inspiration. We were watching ST: TNG at the time, but DS-9 hadn't come out yet. Then you had Babylon-5, Farscape, BSG 2004 and The Expanse, so there's a ton of material out there now.

Gosh, I'd forgotten about Palladium games. I don't remember ever playing Heroes, but we tried Beyond the Supernatural. I think we were interested in another horror game after Chaosium's Cthulhu. And I think we incorporated elements of TMNT because I remember playing a character who was some kind of "man & animal" hybrid.

We've played Star Trek and Star Wars based games but I'm not a big SF fan. I did referee Traveller a bit in the 80s but nowadays if I'm going to put the time in refereeing its going to be for something I'm enthusiastic about.

I'm curious, do folks here mainly or only play sword & sorcery games?
Mainly here, yes. I guess it also depends at the distinction. I think Shadowrun and Numenera both count?

Of other things, I've played Cyberpunk and Call of Cthulhu.

@Plotinus Also I just wanted to note that just reading the first few lines of that feat almost gave me an aneuyrism, I have no idea what it's trying to say xD

Last edited:
Hmm! Interesting question! I've never thought about it. I do however have a favorite board game. You can check out my post, asking about your favorite board game.

Top Bottom