Your Civ 4 idiosyncracies

Common Sensei

Warlord
Not so much gameplay approaches, but things you do and habits you have that are superficial and have no effect on how things develop. Some of mine:

If playing as America, the city that gets the National Park is renamed to Yellowstone.

When taking the Byzantine capital, it always gets renamed.

When playing as the English, I never use Oxford as a city name, as it bugs me that Oxford University is already built more often than not by that time.

Whenever a unit wins a battle with <10% odds, it gets renamed "<oldname> FROM HELL!"

Before declaring war, I stare at the recipient leaderhead for a few moments and send a silent telepathic apology.

I name holy cities according to inappropriate stereotypes or puns: Evangelica, Holy Terror, Holy Tao, etc.

I re-name big cities according to their future National Wonders: War Machine, Hammer Spammer, Cash Cow, GP Farm, Denali, Science Center.

I re-name small cities according to nearby resources: Nice Beaver, Drunken Pig, Dye Hard, Tusk Tusk, Clammy Stoner, etc.

When playing as the Romans I always rename a couple of experienced Praetorians Titus Pullo and Lucius Vorenus, and they always hang out together.

I'll make sure my speakers are on when I'm about to discover Mathematics...I like hearing Spock use the word "behooves." It's a fun word...

whenever i lose a battle where i had 70%+ odds of winning (which happens a lot more than winning a battle with 30% chance of winning) a small part of me dies inside.

I usually tend to yell at the monitor when someone declares war on me and then tell them how im going to d*ck all over them.

When I play the chinese (Qin is one of my favorites) I always build the great wall and found confucianism, even when I don't need them.

And when i play one of the egyptian leaders, I feel compelled to whip the pyramids...

If playing as Russia, St Petersburg always gets renamed Leningrad after adoptation of State Property!

and if I play as the Celts I call the cities dublin, belfast, cork, galway, limerick waterford etc... not historically accurate I know

Ditto.

Playing America, I prevent the building of New York. No Yankees!

I always invade Boston and instead of razing it, rename it to New York 2. We all know where the jealousy stems from ;)

I try to incite a world war in every game. Even if it will hurt my chances of winning.

Nukes must fall if I haven't won/lost by the time ICBMs are around.

Almost regardless of circumstances, I deny open borders to everyone until I have a need to get across someone's territory. I'm trying to get over this in instances where I'm not backfilling a landmass, because it makes it difficult to develop strong alliances in the long run.

After my Heroes of the Sword (random event) died in battle, I named a different unit Custodians of the Sword as a "rememberance." This unit later died, with a warlord attached to it nonetheless. Oh well.

When playing as the Romans I always rename a couple of experienced Praetorians Titus Pullo and Lucius Vorenus, and they always hang out together.

That's cool. I might have to use that.

When playing Russians, as Catherine or Peter I keep the default names, when playing as stalin I use Leningrad, Stalingrad... and so on

I also usualy try to found a religion that fits the civ I am playing for...

I never feel sorry, when attacking Monty or Shaka, but sometimes I do when attackin some peaceful leaders like Gandhi... Unless they piss me off in that game:D

:lol: :lol: i loved Rome on BBC 2, can't believe they cancelled the 3rd series:sad:

but more on topic, when playing as england i re-name all my ships HMS _______, it just feels right that way

And I thought I was the only one! Ever since Rome started, I've done this in almost every game.

My first carrier gets named USS Enterprise, my second USS Nimitz. Sometimes the battleships get named, too (Iowa-class).

For a long time, I renamed everything (cities, all units). I even kept track of my all star units from game to game to see if someone repeated with lots of xps.

Everything is basically named after movies or books or history itself and keep things time related. Conan, aragorn, etc for my early units. When it came time for marines, the cast from aliens takes over the nomenclature. That way, it was easier for me to know when a unit was created (e.g. - a gunship named shadowfax probably started out as a chariot or horse archer).

The first warrior is always renamed nugz (Encino Man)

I actually have a xls with a breakdown of names. Sounds cool but this adds a lot of time to the game. I don't do this as much anymore but it was fun when I did.

HMS _______
Same.

And depending on their promotions they get named differently, destroyers with combat 1 and drill 1 (my normal promotion) are named after cities, 2 combat get named after counties and 2 drill get named after rivers (it actually helps me organised them better too).

For battleships, 1 combat, 1 drill, i name them after great generals, 2 combat i name them after great engineers and 2 drill they get named after other great people.

medic ships are named medic one two (i get lazy! :D)

Top Bottom