Your Favorite Steven Spielberg Film(s)?

Your favorite Steven Spielberg film(s)?

• The Sugarland Express (1974)

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Jaws (1975)

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)

Votes: 9 22.5%
  • 1941 (1979)

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)

Votes: 24 60.0%
  • E.T. (1982)

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Poltergeist (1982)

• Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984)

Votes: 12 30.0%
  • Empire of the Sun (1987)

• Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)

Votes: 18 45.0%
  • Always (1989)

• Hook (1991)

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Jurassic Park (1993)

Votes: 16 40.0%
  • Schindler's List (1993)

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • Amistad (1997)

• Saving Private Ryan (1998)

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Artificial Intelligence: AI (2001)

• Minority Report (2002)

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Catch Me If You Can (2002)

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • Other (please specify below)

• Total voters

JJP

Great Player
Steven Spielberg has directed many films. Which are your favorites?

My favorites are Saving Private Ryan, Indiana Jones trilogy, Schindler's List and Minority Report.

Jaws, Indiana Jones, Close Encounters, Jurassic Park, and Amistad were all great. Schindler's list and SPR were okay. The others sucked.

I really liked Star Wars...oh, that wasnt made by Spielberg, maybe thats why...:rolleyes:

I dont like any of his movies, I totally agree with Curt

I hate his films, especially Jaws and Saving Private Ryan...

I love films after Stephen King

Not like Speilberg, this world is in worst shape than I thought
Jaws and ET are my favorite.

Empire of the Sun is a brilliant film. I love John Malcovich and a young Christian Bale in it. Truly a masterpiece about war. Is Spielberg too cheesy? Sometimes... but he still makes good movies.

Raiders of the Lost Ark is in a class by itself. Jaws was great. The rest are just movies.

But I say he's an extremely talented director, and his movies are quite a bit better than the average fare.

People seeing some "anti-European" slant in his movies is one of the stranger things I've seen on these boards. I don't know how you could see one even if you wanted to. Are there any examples of this besides vague intangibles?

But, I will say his recent movies don't have much of an edge. "Catch Me If You Can" would have been pretty good if not for all the moral hoo-haw.

BTW, didn't he do the first "Men In Black"? That was a great movie.

I don't like Spielberg's films. I think they're too shallow.

Like others, I fail to see what is anti-European about Empire of the Sun, which is one of my all time favourites. Christian Bale is outstanding, and the film has a great resonance and power to it for me.
Schindler's List is quite good and powerful at times, and features very good performances in the key roles.
E.T. is good as an enduring childrens/family classic.

The rest are stock standard pieces, with some decent moments.
But definitely Empire of the Sun. It is in the Darkshadian film canon.

To horribly twist Saturday Night and Sunday Morning: I'm in it for a canonical time, that's all. The rest is just apocrypha :D

I've never seen Empire of the Sun. What's it all about?

Originally posted by thestonesfan
I've never seen Empire of the Sun. What's it all about?

The experiences of a young British boy in China in World War 2. He is separated from his parents when the Japanese attack, and after various sometimes harrowing misadventures, is interred in a prison camp, where he learns to survive.
He grows up through the pivotal years of 11-15 (or thereabouts) in the course of the film and the war, and this change shows, He still keeps qualities of childlike wonder and innocence, such as a memorable sequence involving a Japanese Zero framed by the sunset, and a raid by USAAF bombers and P-51 Mustangs.
The Japanese move the interred Europeans and Americans out of the camp, and march them inland. Jim (for such is the name of the boy, changing from a youthful Jamies) 'escapes' by playing dead, and sees the second atomic bomb being dropped on Nagasaki from across the sea.
After the war, he is reunited with his parents.
Terrific performances, amazing score and soundtrack, and the first major Hollywood film to be filmed inside Red China (to that point). I have barely scratched the surface here of what is a lyrical, moving, powerful and truly fulfilling cinematic experience that runs the whole gamut of emotion.

Of course, you must consider who this is coming from, but all the same, consider.

Indiana Jones trilogy, Jurrasic Park, & Saving Private Ryan got my votes. I enjoyed most of the movies on the list, though. I think Spielberg is one of those directors that really gets what a big screen and big budget are there for; to wow the imagination more than the mind.

Originally posted by thestonesfan
People seeing some "anti-European" slant in his movies is one of the stranger things I've seen on these boards. I don't know how you could see one even if you wanted to. Are there any examples of this besides vague intangibles?
He's a Jew; of course they hate him :p :crazyeye: :yeah:

Indiana Jones trilogy, that's for sure. Also Poltergeist - a decent horror movie that I first saw in a time when I was whatcjing all horrors I could put my hands at (and the ones that suck are the huge majority). Finally, Schindler's list, an very excellent movie methinks (I love stories about WW2 anyway), and the only one of Spielgerg's attempts in "serious" movies that I consider sucessful.

Minority report is ok, but just that.

Regards :).

Originally posted by Bifrost
I hate his films, especially Jaws and Saving Private Ryan...

I love films after Stephen King

Even Firestarter?! :eek: Even that Sci-fi mini-series last year was better than that movie. They both pale in comparision to the book of course.

My faves are the Indiana Jones trilogy and SPR. Close Encounters is definitely not a fave of mine. That goes double for ET. Jaws doesn't appeal to me. (Real sharks don't act like that.) Jurassic Park was cool too, but I lost interest after the second one, fave of the three.

Top Bottom