• South America

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Australia

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

QarQing

Chieftain
There are seven continents: Antarctica, Asia, North America, South America, Europe, Australia and Africa Of these seven, which one is your favorite and why? Mine is Europe mainly because my favorite place, Italy is over there. What's yours?

Asia

Food: N. America, for the sheer variety.
...but in terms of the authentic, native cuisines: Asia
Weather: Europe, at least for now. They're starting to have scorching Summers too, which are my bane. Still, I could flee to Edinburgh or Stockholm in the Summer and probably be fine. I don't know where I could go in N. America to escape the heat.
Movies & television: N. America
Music: N. America. The UK by itself is huge in a couple genres of music that I adore, but if I'm pitting the continents against each other across all genres of music, I have to go with N. America. I honestly can't name a single European jazz or hip-hop musician, off the top of my head (I know there are some, but they don't jump out at me).
Sports: Europe
Natural environment: Tough one. N. America, Africa and Asia seem to run away from the rest for variety, sheer scale, and wildlife. Australia is competitive, and of course S. America has the Amazon river and rainforest.
Languages: Europe. Obviously English is my native language, and the only one I speak fluently. I can get by as a tourist in French and Spanish. I'm not conversational, but if I was living there and taking classes, I think I'd be okay. I could see myself learning German or Italian - again, if I was living there - at least enough to get by. I tried a semester of Japanese once, and my brain nearly leaked out of my ears. And at this point, I think I could spend the rest of my life studying Mandarin or Hindi and be at the reading level of a 6-year-old.
Cities: Europe. New York City is my favorite city, but Europe has multiple cities I'd like to visit. There are a lot of American cities that seem like fine places to live, but I have no reason to visit.

Overall: If I could just live anywhere I pleased, I'd go to Europe for a while, and I could see myself never returning. "I came here for a visit; that was 40 years ago and I'm still visiting" type of thing.

p.s. Shouldn't Australia be Oceania?

Zealandia

I've been to roughly half the Eu countries, and nowhere outside Europe.
So it would be Europe by default.
Canada (the urban part) looks like a far better place to live in, if you have money and don't mind the cold.

Same for me as a North American.

On a related note, after observing arguments about what is or isn't a continent, I've come to the conclusion that continents are a social construct with no objective definition. Remember all those Top 5/10/15/whatever channels that were all the rage on Youtube in the 2010s? That's basically what we did with landmasses to come up with the idea of continents. We took the top three (Afro-Eurasia, America, and Antarctica), split two of them up for more variety, and gave Australia and the surrounding islands their own thing instead of grouping them with Asia like we did with Britain, Ireland, Iceland Etc, and Europe.

There actually is a geological definition of the continents, if you want it, and it fits pretty closely to what we normally mean when we use the term. The only place it differs substantially is Europe and Asia, which share the same tectonic plate. North and South America really are on separate plates; Northeastern Russia is technically part of North America; and the Indian "subcontinent" is on a separate plate and is not part of Eurasia, when viewed that way. Other than that, our everyday conception of the continents is pretty close to the tectonic/geological continents.

Spoiler :

EDIT: Another illustration. I think it's the same.
Spoiler :

Last edited:
You can see in those illustrations where, in 2004, the Australian Plate and the Eurasian Plate had a rugby scrum right off the coast of Indonesia, with "pack weights" in the neighborhood of forty sextillion kilograms on each side. The impact vibrated the entire Earth and basically lifted the Indian Ocean 30m into the air.

Spoiler :

I'm a bit surprised that the Urals aren't on a plate border.

Antarctica, because penguins

:love:

I was going to say that.

Others:

North America (I live here)
South America (numerous reasons, but first one that comes to mind is music)
Europe (ancestors are from there)

Canada (the urban part) looks like a far better place to live in, if you have money and don't mind the cold.

As I said before, when you listed what you wanted in a non-European place to live, there are really only two Canadian cities that would meet it (and even then you'd still have to put up with a smidgen of snow, because there is NOWHERE in Canada that doesn't get at least some snow in winter). Those are Vancouver and Victoria, British Columbia. Both have large, cosmopolitan populations, they're next to the ocean, the weather is warm, and there's a university.

The downside of Vancouver and Victoria is that they are insanely expensive to live in. Of course that's by my standard. I don't know what yours might be.

I liked all continents the same :) They each have their own way of being unique and standing out.

US is better than UK so I guess that means I prefer north America but I haven't lived anywhere else.

I suspect I'd really love se Asia, Oceania and NZ but I've yet to visit so I can't say

Top Bottom