• North America

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • South America

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Australia

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Australia, being one of the only two to actually meet the common definition of a continent and the only one out of that that's habitable (no bias)
And the only one that has an ongoing passion to kill all its inhabitants! :p

Antarctica! So much new land underneath to discover once that annoying ice is gone, wooo hooo! :lol:

:huh: The penguins need that ice.

Do they need the ice or the cold? There are penguins in the southern tip of South Africa as well
Different species of Penguin need different environments. Plus, do you actually think a penguin can swim from Antarctica to South Africa?

Do they need the ice or the cold? There are penguins in the southern tip of South Africa as well

There are several species of penguins that live exclusively on the Antarctic continent (except for the ones in zoos). It's their natural habitat, so of course they need it. The warming of the oceans recently resulted in the deaths of around 10,000 Emperor penguin chicks. They don't have waterproof adult feathers at that age, so they're unable to swim to safety. They drowned.

:(

Those in South Africa are nothing like the true Antarctic species: Emperor, King, Adelie, and so on.

Different species of Penguin need different environments. Plus, do you actually think a penguin can swim from Antarctica to South Africa?
I know that. No, I don't think penguins can swim from Antarctica to South Africa.
There are several species of penguins that live exclusively on the Antarctic continent (except for the ones in zoos). It's their natural habitat, so of course they need it. The warming of the oceans recently resulted in the deaths of around 10,000 Emperor penguin chicks. They don't have waterproof adult feathers at that age, so they're unable to swim to safety. They drowned.

:(

Those in South Africa are nothing like the true Antarctic species: Emperor, King, Adelie, and so on.
I know that different species are adapted to different environments. However, being adapted to a certain environment does not necessitate being dependent upon it.

I was wondering (aloud) whether penguins actually require ice and snow. For cooling purposes in captivity, sure, but what if a penguin were removed from Antarctica to a continent with a similar climate but the land were not covered in ice? What would it miss from the absence of snow and ice?

Top Bottom