Your First Computer - what was it ?

The first one I fooled with was a TRS-80 Model 1, although it wasn't a home computer. My dad
was thinking about using one for his business, and I was a CS major, so he had me
see what I could do. That answer was, not much. Especially with the audio cassette
data storage, which succeeded around one time in 3.

The first PC my father bought, was a IBM PC-XT-compatible 8086, running MS-DOS 5.0. we upgraded it with EGA graphics and a 3,5" floppy drive!. Later we got a 80386DX-40, with MS-DOS 6.0 and Windows 3.1

The first PC that I got for myself, when I went to university, was a Pentium I, running Windows 95 (what, directories are called "maps" now???)? 98, 98SE and 2000.

After I graduated, I got an Athlon XP, which had been working perfectly fine for 8 eight years (with the necessary hardware upgrades), until recently, when the motherboard decided to die... Then I got myself an i7 :)

After I graduated, I got an Athlon XP, which had been working perfectly fine for 8 eight years (with the necessary hardware upgrades), until recently, when the motherboard decided to die... Then I got myself an i7 :)
Like me. ;) Civ IV runs great on it ... eh!

Thanks. :)

Can you really call that a computer of any descriprion?

Hey, a computer is defined as an electronic device which has an instruction set to process data (some also include the ability to store that data, but technically it's optional). ColecoVision fits into that definition. :p

My first "computer" was a Wang calculator. I wrote a program to compute the standard deviation at the Florida Marine Research Lab when I was still in high school. It has an auxillary "card reader" shown on the left that would execute up to 80 operations you punched into a paper card:

My second computer was an IBM 360/91 at the Oak Ridge National Lab:

When it was first delivered, ORNL was so proud of it that they built a huge picture window in front of the main console. It crashed so frequently that the employees started hanging lemons from the frame. The management then put in a set of blinds so the IBM engineers could debug it in peace.

The first personal computer I owned was an Apple II+ followed by a Mac Plus when they first came out.

An NEC PC w/ Pentium 1 proc @ 166Mhz + 16 MB of RAM. Included a 56k modem plus USB 1.0 ports!

First computer that I had any interaction with: Amiga (not much more details)
First computer that I did my own things with (instead of being directed by my dad exclusively with): Homebuilt 486
First computer that was mine: 333MHz AMD K6 running Win 98
First computer that I purchased with my own money: 1.6GHz Pentium 4 running Win XP
First computer that I built myself: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=9442228&postcount=51

Radio Shack TRS80 PC-1

Bought it in 1980 and only upgraded that to a Casio PB-1000 in 1988.

Oh the fun I had trying to program code with so little RAM. Made a Horse Racing Gambling Odds program on it. Worked out quite well. :D

I played with TRS80s growing up but that one looks like it's a giant calculator built into a keyboard. Is that what it was?

I remember playing on an elementary schoolmate's TRS-80 and taking summer classes later at the school on an early Apple programming in a geometry-based computer language with green/white/black monitor. Family's first computer was Apple IIe---remembered playing the Swiss Family Robinson graphical text adventure as the official first game on it.

I think first hardcore PC gaming was SVGA on an Intel 486. Probably playing the Doom demo.

First - a Ferranti Sirius. Input and Putput was via paper tape.

Then ICL 1900
IBM 360/370

First micro?
Commodore PET
First one I owned - BBC micro B

Best I ever owned Acorn RISC PC - beautiful machine to program - but no software. Better than a PC / Apple in every respect. Probably why Apple ripped the team.
Built maybe a dozen PC s from scratch over the years.

My first was a 386SX with 2MB of RAM (I was so disappointed when I found out that Doom needed 4 :( ) . I forget what manufacturer though. It had Windows 3.1 on it. Which I eventually deleted so I could fit more games on the massive 100ish MB harddrive as everything I wanted to do (ie load the games...), I could do in DOS.

Haxor ;)

We had a compaq presario 386sx, screamed along at 25MHz. No math coprocessor as the sx designation makes clear. Oh how I longed for a dx! My cousin had a dx. I envied him. He could play the first best game ever - Grand Theft Auto.

Chances are very good he had a lot more RAM and more storage, but all I could care about was that he had a secondary processor just to do math and we didn't.

Oh my God, I remember when I popped that co-processor into the motherboard of my Packard Bell 386/SX (16MHz.) Mind blowing difference in mathy things. AutoCAD went from rendering a particularly complex sample image in about 10 minutes to about 15 seconds. Sweeeeeeeeeeet.

I had an Amstrad 486 that transformered into a Mega-Drive/Genesis console. It was so cool!

Spoiler Some picture I found on google images :

The panel on the front slid back and forth so you could choose what to use. So it could be an evening of Sonic the Hedgehog or Commander Keen. Good, beige-coloured computery times.

A PC that doubles as a console that is a PC is pretty nice.

Top Bottom