Your greatest fears

Late game turn times, especially on large maps and long game speeds. I can handle most issues as long as the last third of the game doesn't turn into a 'one click every few minutes' scenario.

Having not the time to play in October and missing the launch hype :(

The last time I was eagerly waiting for a game was Diablo III; funnily enough, being here the first days to be part of the unavoidable launching mess is where the fun is :D Being among the first to notice the imbalances & bugs and seeing how things settled makes the game is bit more dynamic and patch after patch, you feel like you played mini expansions of the same game ;)

- There won't be much to do each turn. Civ5 had already this problem.
- Corps and armies won't solve the tedius massive unit movement on bigger maps.
- Bigger maps will still have unacceptable turn times. Anything beyond 10-15 seconds is questionable.

1) Poor AI;
2) No support for MP mods or a very poor support for those;
3) Difficult and obtuse modding that only very skilled modders will be able to handle, or modding that's harshly limited by the mechanics of the base game.

The Civ fanchise has gotten along with bad AI for twenty five years now--not sure why people put this in the list of "greatest fears" when they've been dealing with it and still liking the game for all of this time.

I don't know if it's a "fear" but what would hold the game back for me are the actual mechanics and balance. Other things are workable as long as the core of the game itself is sound and fun.

There is also the concern that they'll forget where they came from and approach creating the game with a MP-first mentality, but I don't think they're going there. It's what they did to my Sim-City and look where that has gone.

That it won't work with Windows 7 and I'll have to get Windows 10.

Graphics subsystem too resource intensive even on lowest settings (I play in strategic view almost the entire time).

That the sea-faring aspects of the game will again be significantly undervalued over the land-based aspects of the game. It sounds like they are trying to increase the importance of navies, coastal cities, etc. but I worry that they won't follow through on it. I know Pangaea is the preferred map of the majority of players on the forum, but I almost always play Continents in V. Sadly (as is well known), fighting with ships is far too easy against the AI.

- There won't be much to do each turn. Civ5 had already this problem.

This most likely means that there will be very few if any meaningful decisions to make each turn.
If I decide to attack X nation that is a meaningful decision. But it is tedious when I have to move 50 units through a choke point to get to that nation.

1) super slow development, no listening to players, 1 patch every 3 months, feeling of not working after release
2) technically stuck like civ5, unreliable, too heavy for its graphics and programmed with feet like civ 5
3) multi like civ5, steam servers, lobbyless, impossible to connect, all the crap we had in civ 5 online

1. UI/control conventions still stuck at the level of mediocre 90's titles
2. Non-functional MP for at least the 3rd consecutive vanilla release
3. AI game throwing
4. Limited agency/railroaded gameplay with lots of false choices
5. Excessively long turn times like 5 has
for a feature (MP) that like 3% of the player base enjoy, I would not expect much resource allocation.
EUREKAs already sound like false choices. what next? get a reward for building the first city? :lol:

my fears:
1. too much downtime
2. lategame stuff: click the next turn button until victory?
3. abysmal AI
4. general performance issues: long load times, long AI turn times, etc.
5. false choices that waste my time, like answering to denouncements.

Oh yes, if BE trade routes are back, I'll cry myself to sleep.

1) That I end up downgrading to windows 10 for DX12 only for Civ 6 to support Vulkan.
2) That average game/turn length has been shortened in favor of quicker more casual games. ( which would suit mp better )
3) That the AI still have no idea how to play the new ruleset like Civ 5.
4) That somehow I don't like it, which was a first for me from nearly 2 decades with Beyond Earth!

I didn't buy BE. Obivously not the worst idea not to.. What was wrong about the trade routes?

I didn't play BE for all that long, but my experience was that the internal trade routes were powerful to the point that none of the rest of the things you did even mattered . . . would provide more resources than everything else you did with your city put together.

Top Bottom