1.29 Semi-public beta

@ everyone: Anyone has an idea why I can't open any DG save even if it has the extension ".SAV" and is placed in the "saves" folder.

I tried to verify it hadn't any hidden extension, and it doesn't. But the game and the system don't know what to do with it. The most important thing in 1.29 for me would be to be able to realy play the DG3.

Major Problems loading scenarios with cities already placed. It seems to work with just units, but once cities are on the map, it just locks up at "Configuring scenario" after taking forever to get about 5% done.

Fier, you might want to make sure the file has the correct Mac File type - just do a get info on it, and set it to open with application Civ3 (you'll need to search for the app). That should do it! Read the Forum FAQ for more information about the file types.

Naboo & others: the common thread in your problems and some others seems to be playing version 1.29 on a pre-Jaguar OS.

Brad, do you have any thoughts on this?

Originally posted by senecasax
Major Problems loading scenarios with cities already placed. It seems to work with just units, but once cities are on the map, it just locks up at "Configuring scenario" after taking forever to get about 5% done.

Did you use the fixed 1.29 installer? It puts the proper civ3mod.bic file in place.

If you can provide me with an example of such a scenario, I'll gladly take a look. Feel free to e-mail it to me at bradman@pobox.com if you want.

Playing GOTM 19 currently using 1.29b1 in OS X 10.2.5 (not to enter - just for practice).

I had a particularly intensive sequence of diplomatic negotiations during one turn, after which the game UI slowed down big-time. Any menu - contextual right-click or from the menu icon took 2 seconds to drop down.

I always set the prefs to require Space to move to the next turn so that I have time to consider my position each turn. At the end of a turn the "RETURN or SPACEBAR for next turn" text flashes in the status box.

After the slow-down this text was cycling every 4 seconds (2 on, 2 off). So it appears the game was only polling the UI every 2 seconds.

I saved, quit, relaunched and reloaded, and performance was restored to normal. I had previously seen a similar slowdown and resolved it the same way, but I don't recall the events leading up to that one. It's not a show-stopper as long as I catch it before the slowdown can deteriorate to the point of freezing the system. But it's maybe an indication that there's something soaking up CPU cycles in the software. I'm now running EscapePod just in case I have to bail out.

I tried pausing and running top while in the slow state, and then I did the same after relaunching. The top output for Civ3 was pretty much the same in the two cases, but a paused game probably doesn't do the same things as a live one.

Has anyone else seen this?

@Brad. If there's any more data I can provide next time it happens please let me know.

What I've noticed with every turn I've played in three 1.29 games is that once I've moved all of my units, everything slows down significantly. The scroller takes seconds to push the screen left, right, up or down; clicking on a fortified unit takes time to gain a response; and, for wha it's worth, the "Return or space bar" message blinks more slowly.

Originally posted by Txurce
What I've noticed with every turn I've played in three 1.29 games is that once I've moved all of my units, everything slows down significantly. The scroller takes seconds to push the screen left, right, up or down; clicking on a fortified unit takes time to gain a response; and, for wha it's worth, the "Return or space bar" message blinks more slowly.
I can't confirm any of these points on my machine.

Edit/add: 2x1GHz MDD, 10.2.5, 768mb

I just got my first leader, but unlike 1.21, there was a pop-up allowing me to rename the victorious unit.

However, there was no explicit notification on the leader creation. Is this how it works in 1.29?

Edit/add: I might have overlooked it. FOr my 2nd leader, there was a pop-op notice.

PS: Balkan Dragoon really rock!

Same thing here but not on all my computers:
Got the problem on a G4 QuickSilver and a DP 450 but not on my PowerBook 800... All of them with 10.2.5 and 512 megs of ram. I'll check a bit more on monday on different type of CPU (for some reason I have access to a lot of different cpus).
Gremlins

Thanks, Gremlins - I'd like to address this minor inconvenience, if possible.

Tao, I think that's how leader generation works on 1.29. The "you have a leader named ()" message is extremely short, followed by the "rename the unit" message.

Two of my first three BD's were killed against "3" defenders - but yes, they rock.

That certainly sounds similar to the symptoms I saw, except I can go multiple turns before it hits. I found it too unresponsive to continue, plus I was concerned that it may eventually slow to a freeze, so I quit and reloaded.. It feels like it might be dialogs that trigger it, but that may be because I've also seen crashes in that area in the past, so p'raps I'm just getting paranoid about dialogs :eek::confused:.

I'm on a G4/350 Sawtooth with 1.12 GB RAM and oodles of hard drive in OS 10.2.5. Video set to 1280 x 1024. SFX on, music off.

Wow, at least I'm not alone here.

I've had what both AlanH and Txurce describe happen -- and actually to a much greater degree of slowdown than described above (although this may be b/c, as Alan has wisely not done, I stubbornly keep playing instead of wuitting and restarting; if it is a "deterioration"-type problem.)

Anyway, I have notice Txurce's problem -- after moving all the units the "continue" button flashes slower than usualy, and scrolling the map is slow and choppy.

Additionally (not sure if separate problem or related) it will sometimes slow WAAAAAY down -- my tip-off if usually that the music will stop playing, which causes me to notice that units aren't animating, etc. After some time (15-20 seconds) it might play a short section of music, advance a frame of unit animation, or I'll hear a bird shirp or a wolf howl or something. Then still and silent, then repeat. I can still click on dialogue boxes, or pause, or quit, but it's all massively delayed (again, 15-20 seconds minimum.) Throughout this, however, my mouse pointer moves normally on screen.

Usually right before this happens I can hear something "spinning down" in my Mac -- HD? CD? Not sure. At least once when I was really patient it seemed to come out of this slowdown all on it's own, which was indeed accompanied by the sound of whatever spinning back up.

Also, I have only noticed this when playing the GOTMs, and I first had it happen on GOTM-17 (carthage, that was 17 right?) which was pre-1.29 beta (btw Brad, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!) Didn't play Celts (out of town all April).

Any ideas?

10.2.5 on a 500 Mhz G4 Cube 1.25 Mb RAM plenty of HD space.

-sirromdivad

Did i read correctly somewhere that the 1.29 editor will also be released Brad, or was that just wishful thinking on my part? i thought i saw some reference to that? If i install the beta version of the 1.29 patch can i still play the scenario's i created using the 1.21 editor? i thought i read here something about someone placing civilizations, for that one would need the new editor (1.29). Is there already a beta of that around too?

Originally posted by Naboo

Yes, that's the one. So far it looks like the wonder problem is only affecting older OS versions.

To throw in my two cents, I also downloaded the second beta, but my impression is that that the second beta only fixed an installation problem that was not related to this issue.

Originally posted by Gottesfreunde
Did i read correctly somewhere that the 1.29 editor will also be released Brad, or was that just wishful thinking on my part? i thought i saw some reference to that? If i install the beta version of the 1.29 patch can i still play the scenario's i created using the 1.21 editor? i thought i read here something about someone placing civilizations, for that one would need the new editor (1.29). Is there already a beta of that around too?

Brad did refer to a 1.29 editor in the works but in prototype condition only. Your scenarios should open in the beta1.29f.

Top Bottom