• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

1.9 Beta Feedback

What is the difference between the "Seduce Leader" and "Political Marriage" missions? What does the former do?

It creates a Seduced Leaders building (-50% culture, -10% production) for 10 turns. Everything about the new Espionage system is in the opening post of the redesign thread - I updated it quite a lot when I was working on it. A lot of these effects needs some refinement. The main thing was to get a framework in place where every spy unit had at least a couple of missions.

It is a shame that they isn't a pedia section for Espionage Missions, but I think it would be difficult since the XML for them only seems to load when start a new game rather than when the main menu loads up. We could add a new section to the Dune Wars Concepts that details all the Espionage mission as the next best thing.

Ahriman said:
However, playing as Bene Gesserit, I seem to be getting a free priest GPP point from somewhere.
Screenshot says its from a military HQ, though I have no military HQ built.

Sounds like a bug - will investigate.

davidlallen said:
Thank you for the example. Please tell us which exact version of the mod you used. Your save game does not load with 1.9 beta patch 2.

Overspark must be using patch 3 as he is on Vista/Windows 7 and wouldn't be able to play at all with it.

Ahriman said:
Thats actually kinda clever, since the resource is useless now.... or should be anyway.

Yeah, we need to decide what to do with the Sisterhood Covenant resource. There is still a reported issue with the AI trading away the likes of the Ginaz Training bonus for nothing.

Looks like we have (had) a versioning problem on DuneWarsText.xml. If I trace it out correctly, my file from post 41 is included in calvitix's file from post 49. But, neither one is included in the beta 3 in post 87.

I have added Ahriman's strategy text from post 78, into calvitix's file from post 49. Then I ran a script to hunt for units, buildings or techs which didn't have a strategy tag. This found a half dozen or so and I added new stub entries. Please find the latest file attached.

In addition, I checked for stub tech strategy text, and fixed a bug in the script which was causing it to miss stub building strategy text. I created a spreadsheet with the 30 missing building entries (sorry! I thought we were done), and the 50 missing tech entries. Please find this sheet attached also.

EDIT: Confusingly, some of the buildings like Missionaria Protectiva have a key like TXT_KEY_UNIT_.. instead of TXT_KEY_BUILDING_. In the sheet, the entries for TXT_KEY_UNIT_... are actually buildings. It is not necessary to change the text keys; sometimes they get out of sync due to renaming, and it is not quite worth the effort to resync everything again.

Attachments

• DuneWarsText.zip
    160.2 KB · Views: 164
  • still-missing.zip
    6.7 KB · Views: 146
Looks like we have (had) a versioning problem on DuneWarsText.xml. If I trace it out correctly, my file from post 41 is included in calvitix's file from post 49. But, neither one is included in the beta 3 in post 87.

Yes, sorry. All that was in patch 3 was the Vista/W7 fix - I didn't have time to look through the text changes so thanks for doing this. I'll include in the next patch.

However, playing as Bene Gesserit, I seem to be getting a free priest GPP point from somewhere.
Screenshot says its from a military HQ, though I have no military HQ built.
I didn't notice until I got an extra great prophet (not the one from founding religion - which I got too). I took this screenshot just after settling him - hence why I'm 300 turns and 0/300 GPPs.

Spoiler :
You would get +1 GPP if you built the Military HQ, it is not what's currently giving you the 1 priest GPP. It's probably the shrine.

Yes, sorry. All that was in patch 3 was the Vista/W7 fix - I didn't have time to look through the text changes so thanks for doing this. I'll include in the next patch.

Hi, there are several files in XML folder that haven't the TXT tags too in the 1.3 patch. Here the last revision of my translation, merged with the last dunewartext from davidlallen (post 103). the other dunewars_xxxxxx could be deleted, All the Tags are now included in the main text File.

I found some English Strings in the python code (Dunewar.py, lines 660)

I tried to replace the line with
Code:
s = CyTranslator().getText("TXT_KEY_IMPROVEMENT_DESTROYED", (sUnit, sName))
, but it don't seems to work.
I'm not a Python Expert, And I don't know how to debug

other strings lines 872-874 and in ContractHelp method line 1596 and line 1893

Attachments

• Dune Wars beta 1-9-B-1-3 - French translation - v0.36.7z
    152 KB · Views: 58
It's probably the shrine.
Oops.
Yes, its the shrine. I guess thats an ok effect - though its quite strong when Bene Gesserit (Religious trait) beeline Faith, found Shai-Hulad, and instantly build the shrine.
Sorry, I thought I'd checked that first, but it turns out what I actually checked was my palace - both had similar +income because of spice from the palace.

I will take a look at David's files and add more strat text.

though its quite strong when Bene Gesserit (Religious trait) beeline Faith, found Shai-Hulad, and instantly build the shrine.

Well, we did want to make the Religious trait stronger... a free great prophet on discovering a religion and therefore instant shrine is certainly powerful. In fact, we might as well change the trait effect to auto-build the shrine on founding since I'm not sure why you'd want to do anything else with the free prophet.

In fact, we might as well change the trait effect to auto-build the shrine on founding since I'm not sure why you'd want to do anything else with the free prophet.
We could, I guess, but its relatively harmless. The AI will always build the shrine I think.

I think its good, in general - the only thing we should even consider tweaking is removing the +1 gpp from the Shai-Hulad shrine, but its hardly that strong.. I think we should consider tweaking some other traits, to make sure all are equally powerful. We talked about making the Financial trait into a Trader trait, which I think could be a good idea.

I found some English Strings in the python code (Dunewar.py, lines 660) [...] I tried to replace the line with
Code:
but it don't seems to work. I'm not a Python Expert, And I don't know how to debug

This seems like a good goal. I searched the python of other mods, and found some examples in Broken Star, eg line 206:
Code:
CvGameUtils.CvGameUtils().addPopup(
localText.getText("TXT_KEY_BROKEN_STAR_WARNING_NUKE_ACTIVATED",()),
localText.getText("TXT_KEY_BROKEN_STAR_WARNING_NUKE_ACTIVATED_MESSAGE", (szName,)))
This seems to be the same as what you tried. Do you have logging and python exceptions enabled? Do you get any python exceptions from this? What exactly happens when it "doesn't work"?

This seems like a good goal. I searched the python of other mods, and found some examples in Broken Star, eg line 206:
Code:
CvGameUtils.CvGameUtils().addPopup(
localText.getText("TXT_KEY_BROKEN_STAR_WARNING_NUKE_ACTIVATED",()),
localText.getText("TXT_KEY_BROKEN_STAR_WARNING_NUKE_ACTIVATED_MESSAGE", (szName,)))
This seems to be the same as what you tried. Do you have logging and python exceptions enabled? Do you get any python exceptions from this? What exactly happens when it "doesn't work"?

The String is loaded from xml file, but the %s aren't replaced by the variables.

I found the correct syntaxe : I have to replace %s by %s1 and %s2 int the Tag Strings.

Code:
	<TEXT>
		<Tag>TXT_KEY_IMPROVEMENT_DESTROYED</Tag>
		<English>A %s1 destroyed your %s2</English>
		<French>Un %s1 a détruit votre %s2</French>
		<German>A %s1 destroyed your %s2</German>
		<Italian>A %s1 destroyed your %s2</Italian>
		<Spanish>A %s1 destroyed your %s2</Spanish>
	</TEXT>

and

Code:
	def DestroyPrint(self, pPlot, iPlay, sUnit, sName):
		if iPlay != -1:
			CyInterface().addMessage(iPlay, True, 10, s, "",
				1, "", ColorTypes(8), -1, -1, True, True)

I will add it in my next release.

One of our design goals should be to avoid no-brainers. But the water cache is still such a no-brainer in terms of growth, when water is supposed to be scarce. I suggest we change the amount of water stored down to 30%, from 50%.

I also think the new Monastery building might be a bit cheap.

Hey all. I just discovered this mod, and I was happy! (Even though I have NO Dune background. Never read a single one).

Anyway. Then I played, and played. And now, I have a repeatable crash, and my happy went away.

Under 1.9 beta patch 3. Just hit enter to end turn and it crashes on me.

Also a minor note, Alia-of-the-Knife seems to have a busted trait, it just shows TXT_KEY_TRAIT_ABOMINATION ... I also can't find an abomination in the civilopedia under traits (or anything that resembles it)

Can anyone make my happy come back?

Attachments

• DuneQuick1.CivBeyondSwordSave
    304.4 KB · Views: 166
Got a repeatable crash. Go 2 turns forward from this save (enter, enter, no choices to make) and it does a CTD.

Using patch 3, I can reproduce this. By trial and error, I have narrowed down the cause, but I don't have a smoking gun. If you look around plot 37,38 in WB, you can see two scout thopters loaded with settlers, one from Corrino and one from Tleilax. Both are attempting to found a new city at 37,38. If you delete either one of these thopters, the crash is avoided. Otherwise it seems that one of them founds the city OK, and then the other one gets so disappointed at missing the opportunity, it makes the game crash.

I reformatted my PC a few months ago and never installed the debugger, so that is probably as close as I can get.

Can anyone make my happy come back?

Based on my clue from the previous post, I can make your happy come back, but it will rather piss off Beast Rabban. Are you familiar with using World Builder? If you see at plot 30,33, there is a stack of Harkonnen units including two settlers. Delete the two settlers using WB and your game will proceed.

@ deliverator and/or jester fool, the same problem has been encountered twice, which means it needs a debugger solution. I "suspect" that BBAI and all-terrain units are having a bad interaction. In grunthex's save, if you ctrl-click the plot, you will see that the settlers show as "**stranded**". I think this triggers a BBAI planner to find a way to rescue them by sending a naval vessel. But probably the DW notion of all-terrain vehicles is not covered here, and the planner unexpectedly fails to find any naval units.

I also think the new Monastery building might be a bit cheap.
Agreed, I would increase cost a bit.

I "suspect" that BBAI and all-terrain units are having a bad interaction.
Your argument makes a lot of sense.
This probably means we need to carefully check BBAI code before integrating.

Thanks, that seems to have worked. To be fair, I even gave him back one of his settlers in his capital. Why one? Hey, HE was the one creating game-crashing settlers, he doesn't deserve a full refund!

The happy is back, I am going forth to seek more problems for you!

Top Bottom