1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have selected the winners of the Old World random draw and competition. For the winning entries, please check this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

1205 AD on GEM

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Giant Earth Map Mod' started by Traiano, May 28, 2008.

1. Traiano

Traiano Warlord

Halt,

Now the right version is up. I doublechecked and the changes are there. I didnt include all the GEM standard changes though, just some.
    Specifically:

- Movements increase on water and road.

- Maintenance gold per unit (2 golds per unit).

- All the changes regarding terrains, improvements and those included in the globaldefines.xml but none of those regarding units (see Kai's excel file in GEM for each bonus description).

- Harbor & Cothon commerce changes are included plus those regarding Market, Bank, Grocer, Apothecary and Roman Forum about the increase in trade routes number.

In game terms, Portugal's economy is now much stronger (at noble, at 50% research, right at game starts, without touching civics, it gets a solid +23gold/turn) as water tiles are equally good. Also Venice and Japan benefited from the change. I have the impression that to different extent, all the civs gained something. Right now it is way easier to expand overseas, especially if you build a grocer and later a bank in your capital city.

Have fun if you try your luck with Portugal! :)

2. Halt

Halt Warlord

Cool! Ya when I tried to play at Portugal, Japan, or even one of the American Leaders it was clear their economies could not compete with a straight Military conquest approach.
    Thanks!

3. slaton

slaton Chieftain

When I open the game, there is error message said
    Failed to read worldbuilder file "Mods/AClashofKingdoms\PublicMaps/AClashofKingdoms5.1.CivBeyondSWordWBSave"

I notice there is a mistake in folder address ---> \PublicMaps/

How to fix this? Please

4. Traiano

Traiano Warlord

Is it the first time you download the mod?
    Let me know if previous versions worked before on your pc.

If you have the BTS 3.19 patch installed you should simply put the ClashofKingdoms folder under MOD.

Arent you by any chance trying to load the mod directly, or via GEM?

5. slaton

slaton Chieftain

Last time it didn't work because I tried to load the mod directly.

This time I open the game BTS first then load a mod
    when it's loaded I chose "Play scenario"
    then i chose clashofkingdom5.1 and thing works well.

Thanks so much for your great work. It looks marvelous.

6. slaton

slaton Chieftain

Traiano, playing your mod is very addictive.
    If we don't have to wait that long during each turn, it will be perfect.

Do you have any suggestion to improve waiting time?

7. Halt

Halt Warlord

Slaton - Waiting times are a function of your processor speed, amount of memory Graphics and overall and Graphics Card.

No idea of your set-up.

8. kochman

kochman Deity

And data to be processed of course.
    This mod has a good amount of data, because it is pretty extensive. It will slow down many a system, mainly while "waiting for other civilizations" just because there are a lot of them.

9. Traiano

Traiano Warlord

If you have an old processor it can be tricky.
    The key, beside the ram (I recommend 4gb), is the processor. I used to have 4 GB of Ram but an old processor with just 1.5 Ghz, on a 32 bit system with windows 7. The game was going ok. Faster than when I had vista, but not too quick.

I recently improved to 64 bit, 6 GB Ram and 2.80 Ghz processor, with windows 7, and the increase in speed left me astonished.

Anyway, this is what I suggest:

- Plug in an external memory stick (1 GB) and use it just to boost the memory.
    It helps a little bit.

- Lower graphics settings to low. It helps significantly.

- Most importantly, when you load the mod, select task manager, then right click on the civ4 application, and change the priority from low to high. Your pc will then run civ 4 related processes ahead of everything else.

I hope it helps.

10. kochman

kochman Deity

how does one do this? direct the memory to use the external memory stick I mean...

11. Traiano

Traiano Warlord

It is easy.
    Just plug the stick in and you will be promptly asked, among the many options, to, either
    1) open folders or
    2) speed up my system using windows readyboost.

12. kochman

kochman Deity

Thanks, I never noticed that before. I will try it out.

13. Traiano

Traiano Warlord

I have found two new Lhs that I will include in the scenario. One is Richard the Lionheart for England (from civ gold) and the other is a slightly better version of Robert the Bruce of Scotland. I plan also to add the Republic of Novgorod civ.

14. slaton

slaton Chieftain

I tried with the graphic setting and task manager and saw the difference. Thanks a lot.

Now how to refrain from playing 4 hours a day and increase to 10 hours during weekend?

15. kochman

kochman Deity

Get married :lol:

16. Traiano

Traiano Warlord

5.2 uploaded, with the Republic of Novgorod and 3 new Leader heads - Richard the LionHeart for England, Sviatoslav for Lithuania and a better version of Robert the Bruce for Scotland. I think this should be the final update for Clash.

Why?

As I'm starting to consider the possibility to create a new medieval scenario in the future...

17. Lean

Lean Prince

Oh, oh! Rise of Islam! Well, either that or an 800 A.D. senario. Personally, I think it would be great to re-enact the Muslim Conquests or beat them back as Persia or the Byzantines. Plus, it would give rise to the Franks, and the Germanic nations of the Western Empire. OR a 1000 A.D. senario. It's really up to you,just my two or three cents.

18. Halt

Halt Warlord

I am getting this same issue with 5.2 which I just downloaded.. It is not my computer

19. Traiano

Traiano Warlord

I made up my mind.
    It will be a 1400 AD on Gem with approx 42 civs and about 20 new leader heads.

EDIT: playable directly on GEM, therefore using the other mods already incorporated (Dale Combat Mod, Autoplay etc).

20. cheesemijit

cheesemijit Prince