13 people shot Thursday night in Chicago, and Nobody Seems to Notice.

woody60707

Deity
A gunman with a military-grade assault rifle opened fire on a pickup basketball game in the Back of the Yards neighborhood late...
“It's a miracle there has been no fatality,” Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy said at a news conference this morning. “Illegal guns, illegal guns, illegal guns drive violence....A military-grade weapon on the streets of Chicago is simply unacceptable.”...

The park is in a heavily gang-infested area, but it is not in a so-called impact zone flooded by officers to deter crime, McCarthy said. The nearest zones are three blocks to the north and three blocks to the south, leaving the Cornell Square as a no man’s land protected only by occasional patrols and an 11 p.m. curfew.

About 45 minutes before the park’s closing time, at least one gunman walked to the basketball court in the 1800 block of West 51st Street and opened fire, police said. The 13 people hit included both the pick-up game’s players and spectators such as 3-year-old Deonta Howard.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...-in-south-side-attack-20130919,0,352520.story

I don't mean to bored anyone, but more people were shot yesterday in Chicago.

It's a good thing Chicago is the murder capital of America, or this would seem really weird. So I guess the most important aspects of all is score the most political points, right?

http://news.yahoo.com/chicago-murder-capital-of-america-fbi-142122290.html

Can we stop with this "nobody seems to notice" trend, and actually generate some discussion?

Why are you posting this story? What would you like to discuss?

Can we stop with this "nobody seems to notice" trend, and actually generate some discussion?

Why are you posting this story? What would you like to discuss?

Sorry to bore you.

Only not only is Chicago anyplace like the "murder capital of the world", much less in the US where it ranks about 50th, nobody was apparently even killed.

But I would definitely agree with the premise that no civilians whatsoever should have "military grade weapons".

I think this is also quite revealing:

The park is in a heavily gang-infested area, but it is not in a so-called impact zone flooded by officers to deter crime, McCarthy said. The nearest zones are three blocks to the north and three blocks to the south, leaving the Cornell Square as a no man’s land protected only by occasional patrols and an 11 p.m. curfew.
Where is your condemnation that not near enough police officers are deployed into high crime areas?

And the subject bar does bring up a good question. Why didn't you post a thread about the Navy Yard mass murders when you felt the need to bring this one up?

Only not only is Chicago anyplace like the "murder capital of the world", much less in the US where it ranks about 50th, nobody was apparently even killed.

But I would definitely agree with the premise that no civilians whatsoever should have "military grade weapons".

I think this is also quite revealing:

Where is your condemnation that not near enough police officers are deployed into high crime areas?

And the subject bar does bring up a good question. Why didn't you post a thread about the Navy Yard mass murders when you felt the need to bring this one up?

WHAT?

Define "military grade weapons", please?

You do realize it is entirely possibly to be hit by bullets and not die?

“It's a miracle there has been no fatality,” Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy said...

And regarding "military grade weapon", why don't you ask the Chicago Tribune which published this article?

"A military-grade weapon on the streets of Chicago is simply unacceptable."

Shell casings found around the blood-soaked basketball courts were 7.62 mm rounds, which are traditionally used in AK-47 assault rifles and rarely found in gang attacks on Chicago’s South Side. Though gun violence has long plagued the city’s impoverished neighborhoods, offenders almost never use military-style weapons.

Odd that it made the huffingtonpost that liberal rag.
Sad to see that its the same old gun arguments in the comments though,

Probably gets less coverage because no one died and the victims weren't white which is all the media cares about.

Only not only is Chicago anyplace like the "murder capital of the world", much less in the US where it ranks about 50th

Nobody said it was the murder capital of the world. It did have the most number of murders in the US. Who decides the criteria of what makes something "the x capital of y". If a town of 100 people has 2 murders, does that make it the murder capital of the US, because it has the highest rate?

The north side of Chicago has a lower rate than most cities in Canada, the south side of Chicago on the other hand.........

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/arti...when-it-comes-to-murder-chicago-is-two-cities

The study in case the above link is blocked asking you to subscribe:

http://danielhertz.wordpress.com/20...lion-times-but-i-dont-think-this-has-come-up/

Probably gets less coverage because no one died and the victims weren't white which is all the media cares about.

Yep, the media didn't care about Martin in Florida....

Out of these examples:

White man shoots black man
Black man shoots white man
White man shoots white man
Black man shoots black man

Which cases does the media care about the most and which ones the least?

Out of these examples:

Ooh, ooh, I know this one! The answer to which one the media cares about the least is "black man shoots black man", because that is perceived as perfectly normal in American society and the majority of people who have time to sit down and watch a 24 hour news broadcast are too disconnected from the problem to care.

Which one the media cares about the most? Depends on the outlet. MSNBC is going to prefer white man shoots black man, Fox is going to prefer the other way around.

I hate the use of the term 'military grade weapon' in this instance. There is absolutely no proof an assult rifle was used to commit this crime. The only evidence they have to justify that term is the caliber round used, which really is no indication of 'military grade' weaponry. I could post a plethora of links to non-military grade rifles that use a 7.62x39 round. So until the police confirm exactly what type of rifle was used, I find it extremely irresponsible for the media to use such a sensationalist term.

It seems the media throws around the term 'military grade weapon' in all these shooting cases to whip the public into a panic about guns. Sensationalism at its finest right here.

Double post. Plz delete.

It was on page two of the local paper this morning. So much for that supposed theory.

Nobody said it was the murder capital of the world.
You mean other than the OP, despite it being debunked numerous times in this forum?
It's a good thing Chicago is the murder capital of America, or this would seem really weird.
:crazyeye:

Out of these examples:

All of them about the same?

Go right ahead. Try to show that the "media" is biased in this manner. That is, other than the usual suspects at Fox News and Breitbart, et al, who just love to discuss "black-on-black crime"...

I hate the use of the term 'military grade weapon' in this instance. There is absolutely no proof an assult rifle was used to commit this crime. The only evidence they have to justify that term is the caliber round used, which really is no indication of 'military grade' weaponry. I could post a plethora of links to non-military grade rifles that use a 7.62x39 round. So until the police confirm exactly what type of rifle was used, I find it extremely irresponsible for the media to use such a sensationalist term.
You mean other than all the witnesses?

In all, 13 people were wounded, and the scene around the bloodied basketball court was littered with 7.62x39 shell casings, rounds consistent with witnesses' descriptions of a gunman wielding an AK-47 assault rifle. Despite the fact that, somehow, no one died, a shooting in Chicago resembled the sort of crime scene found in shootings that become national tragedies.

Is it really your opinion that 13 people might have been shot with a bolt action hunting rifle that just happened to fire 7.62x39mm ammo? Do you think the police superintendent is intentionally lying about it in the story above?

And why are you blaming the "media" instead of him?

It seems the media throws around the term 'military grade weapon' in all these shooting cases to whip the public into a panic about guns. Sensationalism at its finest right here.

Well "people who think they know a lot about weapons"; when they hear 7.62, think AK-47. That said, it was fired from some type of rifle/carbine. Which is odd because most gangs shootings use hand guns.

You mean other than the OP, despite it being debunked numerous times in this forum? :crazyeye:

All of them about the same?

Go right ahead. Try to show that the "media" is biased in this manner. That is, other than the usual suspects at Fox News and Breitbart, et al, who just love to discuss "black-on-black crime"...

The OP said capital of America, not the world, like you claimed he said. And yes as a percentage of the population, Chicago is not the most dangerous, but in total numbers of deaths in one city it is. Someone saying they lived in dangerous Chicago it would be important to know if he's talking some truth in that he lived in the high murder rate areas of the south, or if he is exaggerating because he lived in the richer, low crime areas in the northern parts of Chicago. Same could be said of Flint, Detroit, St. Loius, and any other city.

By listening to you one would think all blacks are killed by either racist whites or racist, white cops.

The OP said capital of America, not the world, like you claimed he said.
My bad. I have no idea how I read "America" and turned it into "world". But it is still clearly almost as goofy.

By listening to you one would think all blacks are killed by either racist whites or racist, white cops.
"By listening to you, one would think" that absurd strawmen were just as valid as facts. :crazyeye:

Still waiting for any sort of evidence that the media dwells on some crime more than other based on race. Again, that is other than the far-right media. <crickets>

Formaldehyde is right, America does equal world.
Woody is "right". Per capita doesn't mean a thing. What is really important is which city is larger than the 35-50 or so others which have a higher murder rate, some of which are as much as 3 times higher. :thumbsup:

Is it really your opinion that 13 people might have been shot with a bolt action hunting rifle that just happened to fire 7.62x39mm ammo? Do you think the police superintendent is intentionally lying about it in the story above?

And why are you blaming the "media" instead of him?

You do realize there are plenty of semi-automatic hunting rifles right? Also it is my personal experience that witness descriptions are notoriously unreliable when it comes to weapon identification. While debriefing sources in Iraq, they would always say "so-and-so used a Kalashnikov"; then I would show them a packet that had pictures of all kinds of assault rifles and ask them to point to the weapon the person in question used in the attack. Most of the time they would not point to any thing that resembled a Kalashnikov. Hell, one time the source pointed to a G3 and said it was a Kalashnikov.

The point of all that being the general population are not weapons experts and thus their description of weapons perpetrators use should be taken with a grain of salt. This is especially true when people say an AK-47 was used since there are so many weapons out there, not all of them military grade either, that can be mistaken for an AK-47 from a distance. Especially if you don't get a clear view of the entire weapon and only see the barrel and front sights.

Also it is my personal experience that witness descriptions are notoriously unreliable when it comes to weapon identification.

The superindendent of police thinks it is quite likely it was an AK-47. Unless you have direct evidence that it couldn't possibly have been a fairly common "military grade" weapon, instead of say a far more expensive Ruger mini-30 which looks nothing like an AK-47, I think his opinion carries far more weight than your own.

But you do raise a good point. There really is no valid reason to own either one unless you are hunting humans instead of game.

And again, this clearly has nothing to do with your attack on the "media". They are merely doing their jobs reporting what he stated. Besides, it is hardly the first time that a mass shooting has been done recently with a "military grade" firearm. The only thing unusual is that it was not a M-16 variant this time, but an AK-47 which can be purchased used for less than $500.

Top Bottom