1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

1512-1701 (An Odessy!)

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by Aeon221, Jan 17, 2005.

1. bombshoo

bombshoo Never mind...

You are missing a few important cities on those list Olorin...For France, add/replace Petit Goave, Leogane, Port-de-Paix, and Tortuga, which are all older and more important for the most of the scenario in Haiti. Though it wasn't colonized until abit later Dominica could also be added.

For Spain, I didn't see Caracas, Cumana, Maricaibo, Cartagena which are all important ports on the caribbean in South America. In Cuba, Peurto Principe was a large city. Trinidad perhaps too. Maybe El Paso too..I think it was there then.

Your base list are good, but I think they need to be longer..I just hate seeing "new Madrid", or "Madrid 2"..Hope my suggestions helped.

2. Aeon221

Aeon221 Lord of the Cheese Helmet

I had actually intended to preplace a few cities on Cuba, so I wasnt worried about the lack of names for there... but the lack of cartagena would have been a grievous error. Thanks for the snag!

3. Olorin0222

Olorin0222 Maia

Tortuga was orginally settled by the Spanish, and then taken by France, so I didn't want to add them in to the list. But I did add the rest of your Haitian French cities. Wikipedia had nothing on on Haitian cities...that's how I didn't recognize their importance.

For the Spanish, thanks for catching me on Cartagena. :blush: I already had Caracas, but had given it it's original name, Santiago de Leon de Caracas. I'm looking up the other Spanish cities original names...Cumana has been given it's original name, Nueva Toledo.

EDIT: Edited in bombshoo's suggestions and the British, Dutch and Portuguese colony list.

4. Gunner

Gunner Chieftain

Damn you Aeon. Now I'm playing EU2 again and dont know when I'll be able to stop ;)

Luckly I already played my turn in the SG.

5. Aeon221

@Olorin: Thank you so much for your hard work on this! I only hope I can make something worth all this!

@Gunner: I know, I had to leave my disk at home because I knew I wanted to do this ;p

6. Olorin0222

Olorin0222 Maia

North American Indian LH names

Massasoit, Indian chief who befriended the Pilgrims
    Metacomet, Massasoit’s son, who lead the Indians in King Phillip’s War
    Hiawatha, who united the Iroquois around 1550

Central American
    Definitely has to be Montezuma

Inca
    Definitely has to be Atahualpa

For Genoa, I would recommend someone who was not a Doge, Admiral Andrea Doria.
    From Wikipedia, "In the 16th century the republic enjoyed a dramatic revival under the leadership of the admiral, statesman and patron of the arts Andrea Doria who ruled the state as a virtual dictator but never actually became doge. It was through the Spanish empire in the New World that genoa became rich again. Doria served the Spanish Habsburgs as admiral-in-chief, and the bankers of Genoa handled Spain's financial business, which vastly enriched Genoa's banking oligarchy."

Which Eastern and Middle-Eastern nations would you like suggestions for?

7. Aeon221

Thanks again! I will quick jot him down (and the rest of them too).

East means the 6 civs in the 'East' group... or at least thats what I called it in my notebook...

I figured out some problems I was having (had to do some changes to make sure that Rhye's terrain was working with the .biq, among other things) and I have been once again fidgeting with the map.

I am (as of post) editing the first post to include the leader names. With them in, it will be a quick hop-skip-jump to city placement. However, I am gonna have to find some art for that, since what I have simply will not do. The current set is too medieval for the later part of the mod, and the mod is set wayyy to early for the industrial set. I will forum surf soon and look for a few options, but if nothing presents itself I will just figure out how to do it ;p

...now if I could just find my notebook haha

Last night I would have gotten more done, but I found out that the school has the complete works of Jung. OMG! Then candide came on, and it was midnight... time to start on homework!

BuT I promise to get something more concrete done so that I can post some screen shots within a week or so. I have thinned down the graphics in my possesion to cover a good number of the ideas I have for units (but again forum surfing is going to be necessary, as well as creation since we dont have everything under the sun represented ;p), but really its taking a bit longer than I had expected to figure everything out.

More important news later! .0000002 is almost complete ;p

8. Aeon221

Changing Morocco to Barbary States simply so as to be able to include some of the other states (Algiers, Tunisia) under its umbrella. Not much of an increase, but this way I will not feel so weird about who gets what.

9. Olorin0222

Olorin0222 Maia

Chinese (Ming Dynasty):

Take your pick. There are all about the same.

Personal Name Reign Imperial Name

Zhū Yòutáng 1487-1505 Hongzhi Emperor

Zhū Hòuzhào 1505-1521 Zhengde Emperor

Zhū Hòucōng 1521-1566 Jiajing Emperor

Zhū Zaihòu 1566-1572 Longqing Emperor

Zhū Yìjūn 1572-1620 Wanli Emperor

Zhū Chángluò 1620 Taichang Emperor

Zhū Yóujiào 1620-1627 Tianqi Emperor

Zhū Yóujian 1627-1644 Chongzhen Emperor

Manchus:
    For this period, the best bet would probably be Nurhaci, the founder of the Manchu state.

Golden Horde: Actually, The Horde had divided into 5 different Khanates in the 1440’s., Kazan, Astrakhan, Crimea, Siberia, and the Golden Horde itself. The Golden Horde was too weak and was annexed by the Ottomans in 1502. Kazan and Astrakhan were conquered by Ivan the Terrible in the 1550’s. Siberia was gone in the 1570’s, and Crimea survived, with substantial Ottoman help, until Catharine the Great annexed them in 1783.

Best bet for a leader is Devlet I Giray of Crimea, who burned Moscow in 1571. The Crimeans brought back hundreds of thousands of slaves from their raids into Russia.

Japan:
    The Tokugawa Shogunate took over in 1603, and started initiating the anti-Western laws. Probably the best leader would be whom Firaxis chose, Tokugawa Ieyasu.

Mughals:
    Came to power in 1526. Their greatest leader was Jalaluddin Muhammad Akbár, also known as Akbar the Great.

Hyderabad:
    I’m kind of lost about Hyderabad. The city wasn’t founded until 1591, and it didn’t become an autonomous state until 1724. :confused:

10. Olorin0222

Olorin0222 Maia

Don't forget that some cities along the Algerian coast were under foreign rule, e.g. Spain controlled Oran and Tripoli, among others.

11. Aeon221

As to the Golden Horde, I did know this. However, I figured it made a nice umbrella term with which I could cover all the various Khanates. Also, it seems that they still payed lip service to the idea of an overarching khan.

As to Hyderabad, that was simply the only south-indian state I could think of atm of choosing. I figured I would come up with a better one, but if none are available thats basically it.

Thanks for covering the East! I had only gotten Japan before sports, so I was expecting to have to spend more time in research upon my return ;p

12. ThomAnder

ThomAnder Chieftain

How about use Timurid Empire instead of Golden Horde? Golden Horde was really just the khanate in eastern europe. i know timurid empire disintegrated after tamerlane's death, but it's more geographhically correct :) Btw, isn't south east asia a bit empty, or is it meant that way for european colonization?

Also, what is your opinion on the naval capacities of the eastern civs?

13. Aeon221

I meant the divisions to represent culture groups rather than location, but I had to split Europe up because it was toooo many civs. Golden Horde will go right where I want it (which is obstructing Russian from its entry into Siberia ;p) SOrry if that was misleading in terms of geography!

Eastern civs will be ok in naval terms. I do not intend to give them ships capable of competing with the Euros in terms of firepower, except for the MidEasters (and I believe the Mughals had a significant naval presence in the Indian ocean with which the Portugese engaged... i know it was an Indian culture and the Turks... or at least i think i do ;p). However, considering just how little the technologies of the Europeans were spread amongst the non-euros, I think I am justified in keeping them weaker.

Granted, I have no idea how much weaker, but it will be enough to allow the Euros to enjoy a decent advantage. This is not to say that there wont be pre-placed pirates and buildable privateers for everyone; its just that their conventional ships will be quite different.

Tonight (barring some evil test news.... which has happened three nights in succession now ;p) will be "find the damn atlas" night. I hope to have the primary placement of cities done soon, with resources to follow soon after.

I cant find a replacement for Hyderabad right now, but I will keep looking. Left my mega atlas at home grr...

14. Three_Crowns

Three_Crowns Information Retrieval

15. Aeon221

Thanks TC!

Glad to see you here!

Graphic two looks absolutely superb for what I am trying to do with the Euros!
    It looks wayy more renaissance than the standard graphics (might be a bit too much colonial in the architecture, but who else is gonna care but me ;p)

Graphic one is excellent for the Italians.

Found an AMAZING atlas for this scenario. Also found a bunch of books full of period maps, but they were reprinted too small and the text is unreadable.

Looking for a map of the HRE to finalize the decisions on placement. I will be putting up a really really basic map with the Euro cities and cultural borders set up so that you guys can check it sometime tonight or tomorrow night... if my roommate bloody well wakes up so that I can turn the darn lights on!

Gimme a few more days to get the rest of the cities, and we will be rolling with that aspect.

Hyderabad or Vijayanagara.

Neither one is there the whole period, but Vijayanagara envelops the parts of SI that I wanted to cover. Not sure how I am going to work in the Portugese colonizing... maybe give them lvl 1 culture borders and have a few techs before they can build buildings to expand them. That should give the Portugese ample time to make it to India with a few colonists.

16. Aeon221

Semi Bad news: I cannot use any city names with more than 23 letters/characters. Another pretty little rule of the editor...

I have chopped some of the larger (and usually prettier) names down to make them fit. Thanks so much for your hard work on this!

17. Olorin0222

Olorin0222 Maia

@ Aeon

If you want me to, I can get you the more modern, shorter versions of the Spanish cities. It would be no problem.

I went looking through the leaderheads this afternoon, trying to find ones that looked Renaissance-17th Century like.....not much luck. We may have to use midieval ones until more renaissance ones become available.

Here are some European (and one Mid-Eastern) LH's:

Top Row (left to right): Hengist, Gundahar, Geiseric, Alaric (all by R8XFT)
    2nd Row: Theodoric, Owain, Chlodio (all by R8XFT), Gustavus Aldophus (by Civ Army)
    3rd Row: Ceretic, Dermot, Ard Ri, Caeulin (by pdescobar)
    4th Row: Napoleon, Yacoub (by R8XFT), Pedro Aguirre (by Civ Army), King Casimir (by Piernik)

18. Olorin0222

Olorin0222 Maia

Depending on when you begin the Scenario, the Portuguese may already have settlements in India. The Portuguese had captured Goa from the Indians in 1510, and captured Malacca 1511, although that's in modern Malaysia.

19. Aeon221

Dont worry, I am aware ;p

I promise I actually do know stuff about anything on the coast... its just inland I run into trouble haha

Besides, the atlas I got is abso-fricken-lutely amazing.

As to the leaderheads, only Owain and Hengest look too medieval for usage; the rest are bueno!

As to Spanish city name shortening, that would be good for future ones, but what I have now is already shortened into the modern form.

Def we are splitting credit 50-50 on this one dude! You have been a ridiculous amount of help!

20. Aeon221

http://historymedren.about.com/library/atlas/natmapce1555.htm

Thats what I have in terms of online maps of the HRE. I am currently working from a mix of maps and a nice big map of modern Germany (states are almost exactly the same as the old principalities).

I have the colonial dates and locations I need to set up stuff for the period, and other than that I can guestimate what I really need. Might be a while longer on the biq than i thought though; the twin calls of Jung and pool are hard to resist. ;p