2013 NHL Playoffs

Well. I can't post official results, but looking at last round, I THINK these are the correct results:
Actual result: BOS 4, CHI 5

Ummmm : PIT 6, CHI 6 (4 points)
Subi: PIT 6, CHI 6 (4 points)
Iggy: PIT 6, CHI 7 (4 points)
JJP: PIT 7, CHI 7 (4 points)
Rub'rum: PIT 6, CHI 7 (4 points)
Supr49r: PIT 7, CHI 7 (4 points)
Shadowplay: PIT 6, LAK 6 (0 points)
Owen Glyndyr: PIT 7, CHI 6 (4 points)
Bowsling: PIT 6, CHI 6 (4 Points)
Loppan Torkel: BOS 6, LAK 6 (4 points)
Tonberry: PIT 6, CHI 6 (4 points)

(We should totally have a secondary trophy for people like Loppan who correctly predict a series where everyone else disagree with them.)

Thus if we add our R2 results:

Oda Nobunaga: 25+4 = 29 (Winner: PIT, Runner-Up: CHI)
Rub'rum: 24+4 = 28 (Winner: CHI, Runner-up: PIT)
Bowsling: 24+4 = 28 (Winner: MTL, Runner-up: CHI)
Lord Iggy: 23+4 = 27 (Winner: CHI, Runner-up: MTL)
Ummmm: 22+4 = 26 (Winner: PIT, Runner-up: CHI)
JJP: 22+4 = 26 (Winner: PIT, Runner-up: CHI)
Subi: 20+4 = 24 (Winner: PIT, Runner-up: CHI)
Loppan Torkel: 16+4 = 20 (Winner: PIT, Runner-up CHI)
Supr49er : 16+4 = 20 (Winner: CHI, Runner-up NYR)
Tonberry: 16+4 = 20 (Winner: CHI, Runner-up PIT)
Owen Glyndyr: 16+4 = 20 (Winner: PIT, Runner-up CHI)
Shadowplay: 16+0 = 16 (Winner: CHI, Runner-up NYR)
Adria: 15+0 = 15 (Winner: VAN, Runner-up PIT)

I was in Northern Ontario when the third round ended with only my phone for internet access. But I'm in Halifax now with a proper connection and should be for the remainder of the finals.

Reimer stood on his head for the Leafs during the playoffs? Hah! Let's trade for a goalie that has every intention to become a #1 goalie.

Maybe it'll be a 1A, 1B situation.

Well, drats.

...nope, sorry. Can't find it in myself to be disappointed at Boston NOT winning the Stanley Cup XD.

Blast! Beaten by a single point to become the 3-time runner-up for the Thunderfall Cup!

Yet another thing that I now share in common with my dear Vancouver Canucks. :p

Congratulations to Rub'rum, who has won (if my calculations are not mistaken).

Drat, I picked Chicago to win in 6 after the end of the conference finals! :<

Aw, broke my little heart.

Thanks again CFC Playoff thread, for giving me teams to pull for in a sport where I have no natural rooting interest :beer:

What a sad way to end the series for Bruins fans. One minute they think they are headed to a seventh game. The next minute it is all over.

So as the unofficial official fantasy hockey commissioner, I hereby award the 2013 Thunderfall Cup to Rub'Rum! Congratulations!

Stop slacking Iggy! That's three times you've been runner-up!

And now, with the playoffs officially over, I now open up the floor to suggestions on changes for next year to make things even better.

*Rub'Rum rips the cup from commissioner SuperBeaverInc's hands as he's trying to give an awkward speech through the crowd's loud booing*

Thank you, thank you. I'd like to thank the 2 hours I spend every day in my car, commuting and listening to radio. They are the reason I hear about everything happening in the NHL for at least 15-30 mins every day even though I'm not even trying or even listening to sports radio in the first place, or watching much regular season hockey. Every time there's a sports bulletin on, it's almost only about hockey around here.

I didn't try to strategize much until the very end. I tried to make some complicated calculations and didn't like it and couldn't really figure out in time so I just went all-in with Chicago, my original pick, at the very last minute. I'm not sure I enjoy the meta-game much turns out :(

Oh well. Victory!

Congrats!

The one games prediction I got right was the last one! :woohoo:!

I think you mixed up the totals from the first two rounds for you, me and Supr49er in your final table there subi . . .

Stop slacking Iggy! That's three times you've been runner-up!
Working on it! :p

I'd like to thank everyone for accepting my first round submissions, without which none of my Cinderella run to once again finish in second place would have been possible.

I think you mixed up the totals from the first two rounds for you, me and Supr49er in your final table there subi . . .

For some reason Excel makes it a pain to sort tables the way you actually want it to.

Congrats, Rub'rum. As I previously ssaid, I can't really be angry at Boston losing.

Some random jumbled rule ideas for future versions:

-Instead of 4 points for Stanley Cup champion, 2 for runner up, 2 if your champion is runner-up, and 0 if your runner-up wins, might I suggest switching to 2 point per correc conference champion, and 2 more point if your conference champion prediction win the cup? It's essentially the same as we have now, except that you effectively get two points if your predicted runner-up instead end up champion.

-Possibly spread out the love a bit in the final round. As it is, once it gets to the final round, there's very little wiggle room to have a multi-player race (as in this case, where only Rub'rum and I could win by the time we reached the final round), because pretty much all the points ride on who win the Cup, and that's a binary yes/no.

Among ways this could be done:
-Bump the value of the # of games prediction a little for the last round (and, possibly, award those points even if people got the winner wrong).
-Add other issues to make prediction on: Conn Smythe winner, player who score the winning goal, etc.

By diversifying the number of ways to make points, you make it possible for multiple different people to catch up to one another in the final round. This also serves to make strategic voting much more difficult, since there are too many possible outcomes for strat. voting to work.

Actually, I would have won if I'd predicted the correct number of games, assuming that later round victories serve as tie-breakers.

Personally, I kind of like things how they are, although I would be in favour of giving a 'consolation prize' of sorts to predicting correct conference champions, even when you predict the final incorrectly.

Top Bottom