2019 NFL Offseason thread

That’s a giant assumption before we even know where Keenum is going. And if Elway does anything to make life easier for Flacco by investing in that side of the ball.

That’s a giant assumption before we even know where Keenum is going. And if Elway does anything to make life easier for Flacco by investing in that side of the ball.

I'm willing to take the leap, based on the motivation to land Keenum limiting his possible destination to a fairly small spectrum, all of which are better than Denver.

Name them.

Apparently, the Broncos are giving up a 4th round pick for Flacco...They already had 2 4th rounders, one obtained from the Demaryus Thomas trade and none of Flacco's remaining salary is guaranteed as I understand, so on paper it's not such a bad trade...However, Flacco has declined over the years and I'm not sure he would be a significant upgrade over Keenum...

I'm willing to take the leap, based on the motivation to land Keenum limiting his possible destination to a fairly small spectrum, all of which are better than Denver.
Keenum has played only one good season in his entire career...I highly doubt he's going to find success in the future, but stranger things have happened...

Keenum has played only one good season in his entire career...I highly doubt he's going to find success in the future, but stranger things have happened...

Keenum was better last year in a "not good season" than Flacco was. He was better the season before that in Minnesota than Flacco was that season. Flacco has been good, very good, when he was on a good team...he isn't going to be. Keenum probably will, since a bad team has no particular reason to sign him.

@caketastydelish I'd say the most likely place for him to land is Carolina, which is a much better team than Denver, with Washington being the other good candidate. Washington isn't much better than Denver, but they will play a much easier schedule.

In Carolina, he's going to be a backup QB.

Keenum was better last year in a "not good season" than Flacco was. He was better the season before that in Minnesota than Flacco was that season. Flacco has been good, very good, when he was on a good team...he isn't going to be. Keenum probably will, since a bad team has no particular reason to sign him.

@caketastydelish I'd say the most likely place for him to land is Carolina, which is a much better team than Denver, with Washington being the other good candidate. Washington isn't much better than Denver, but they will play a much easier schedule.
Sure, I'm not saying that Flacco is much better, but to be fair to him, he was injured for some games while Keenum played all season long...And my point still stands, Keenum only has one good season in his entire career...I don't know if he will be successful in another team, but odds are that he probably won't...

In Carolina, he's going to be a backup QB.

Word out of Carolina is that Newton is going to take an Andrew Luck style heal the shoulder season off. Who are you projecting as their starter?

That's why Carolina is the favorite for landing Keenum. Teams that are looking for the long term answer at quarterback are looking at the draft, not Keenum. Washington is a prospect because Smith won't be back until late in the season, if at all. If Jacksonville's deal for Foles falls apart they are a prospect, and they're a much better team than Denver.

I wouldn’t describe Jacksonville as “much better”. They both have a good defense and bad offense.

I wasn’t aware that Newton’s injury was anywhere near that bad. Although, I expect NFC south to be a crowded division. Then again, it won’t any worse in that regard than where already was.

Washington would be legit.

I wouldn’t describe Jacksonville as “much better”. They both have a good defense and bad offense.

I think the rebuilding project in the secondary in Denver is at least another season short of them being good. Front pressure covers a lot of flaws, but they are still flaws.

Meh. Jacksonville has no one, on either side of the ball, in the same category with Von Miller. Just my opinion of course.

Meh. Jacksonville has no one, on either side of the ball, in the same category with Von Miller. Just my opinion of course.

Von Miller is a degree better than almost everybody else, but even in Denver he doesn't account for the pressure exerted by the front by himself. You can have a very strong front without having any one individual being remotely comparable to Von Miller; 2017 Eagles being a great example. You can also have one game wrecking player on the front without having a really strong front; Texans prior to adding Clowney alongside JJ Watt being a great example.

I think overall J'ville's front is comparable to Denver's, if not better, and they have a much stronger back end behind it. Have to see if that sustains through the off-season, but it is almost a given that Elway is not going to spend much, if any, of his resources on improving that side of the ball.

Fair enough, but one thing.

Eagles: What about Fletcher Cox?

Fair enough, but one thing.

Eagles: What about Fletcher Cox?

Strong player, but doesn't have anywhere near the rep that Von Miller has. The Eagles' strength in their championship year was that they had solid-plus players all the way across their front and could sub in players that were still solid plus...and they were pretty strong in the back end as well. Denver has relied primarily on having a couple of very strong rushers and backing them up with Talib and company. When they started rebuilding the back end they found out that it takes more than a couple big name rushers to make a strong front. Lot of different ways to build a defense.

“Rumors” spreading around (mostly by Colin Cowherd) about Wilson wanting to leave the Seahawks turns out to be false. Who is surprised?

“Rumors” spreading around (mostly by Colin Cowherd) about Wilson wanting to leave the Seahawks turns out to be false. Who is surprised?

Colin Cowherd makes stuff up to get his name mentioned. You fell for it.

Colin Cowherd makes stuff up to get his name mentioned. You fell for it.

I'm pretty sure it's his writers. Colin isn't smart enough to make even vaguely plausible stuff up.

And in the "Is it real or is it a plant?" department, CBS had a teaser about Bell having weight problems this last season.

And in the "Is it real or is it a plant?" department, CBS had a teaser about Bell having weight problems this last season.

I just read several thousand words on Bleacher Report that could have, and should have, been condensed down to "Signing big name high dollar free agents is a hit or miss proposition."

Top Bottom