2Announced Civ this Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.
The left side of the image depicts an archeological site, most likely in Egypt, hence the tent, lantern and palm tree. The right side appears to be part of a national flag that has a white stripe in the middle and red stripe on the right side, which I suspect is likely the Italian flag. The person depicted is probably a famous archeologist not the nation's leader. Based on the shape of the person and the clues I mentioned above, I believe we are seeing the famous Italian archeologist Giovanni Battista Belzoni, who specialized in Egyptian antiquities.

Therefore, I believe the next civ being revealed is Italy.

The left side of the image depicts an archeological site, most likely in Egypt, hence the tent, lantern and palm tree. The right side appears to be part of a national flag that has a white stripe in the middle and red stripe on the right side, which I suspect is likely the Italian flag. The person depicted is probably a famous archeologist not the nation's leader. Based on the shape of the person and the clues I mentioned above, I believe we are seeing the famous Italian archeologist Giovanni Battista Belzoni, who specialized in Egyptian antiquities.

Damn, nice find. I thought it was the leader that was shown, though?

edit: yeah they say leader. I don't know why they'd show an archeologist.

Sure. But you still could draw some reasonable borders in most of the cases. Even the situation with USA vs. Native Americans and England vs. British Celts, that's conquest and they are different nations.

Try drawing reasonable borders between Rome and:

France
Spain
Germany
England
Ottomans
Egypt
Carthage
Greece
Celtic (Gallic , Breton and even Insular to an extent)
Arabia

...that's just a start too.

Damn, nice find. I thought it was the leader that was shown, though?

edit: yeah they say leader. I don't know why they'd show an archeologist.

The ones where it has been brightened it show someone who looks very Moroccan.

Sure. But you still could draw some reasonable borders in most of the cases. Even the situation with USA vs. Native Americans and England vs. British Celts, that's conquest and they are different nations.

England and France shared core territory through the 1400s.
Rome constituted the core territory of the majority of Europe for a millenia.
Persia, Arabia, Rome, Byzantium and the Ottomans constituted the core territories of the Middle East.
The Mongol Empire constituted the core territories of China, Russia, Poland, the Middle East and Korea.
China constituted the core territory of Korea.
Japan constituted the core territory of Korea.
The Spanish Empire constituted the core territory of the Azetcs, the Maya and the Inca.
England, France and Spain each constituted the territory of what is now the United States and most of Africa and Asia to boot.
Vikings from both Denmark and Sweden have constituted each other's core territory, as well as that of England (in the Danish case).

Conquest or no conquest, there is significant overlap. Even without conquest, one can't draw reasonable borders around the fact that the Ottomans and Byzantium held (with a few territorial exceptions on the periphery of either power) the same territory.

If that overlap is taken out, then what are we left with? Certainly not England, Spain or France. Or anybody who was once owned by Rome, Byzantium, or China. Or Japan. Or the Mongols. Even the Indians would get the noose here, since their core territory has hosted the French, English, Portuguese, Arabs and Greeks.

The left side of the image depicts an archeological site, most likely in Egypt, hence the tent, lantern and palm tree. The right side appears to be part of a national flag that has a white stripe in the middle and red stripe on the right side, which I suspect is likely the Italian flag. The person depicted is probably a famous archeologist not the nation's leader. Based on the shape of the person and the clues I mentioned above, I believe we are seeing the famous Venetian archeologist Giovanni Battista Belzoni, who specialized in Egyptian antiquities.

Fixed that for you.

I can't tell if your attacking my comment or stating something (it's late). If your saying I'm ignorant of history just because I don't see a resemblance between El-Krim and the hardly visible leader than it is unwarranted. All we have is speculation. It's difficult to know the image of all nation's leaders throughout history; most people are confined to their own nation's history.

Although, you do have a point with Gustavus:
Spoiler :

He look's like Erik XIV. Why they didn't just replicate Gustavus is beyond me.

To be honest I don't care if it's the Holy Roman Empire or the Frankish: I want Charlemagne. He's one of the few great generals and statesmen that aren't in Civ V.
It was directed against the creator of this game or at least against the person who decided that - "Oh, we have used the wrong model when we made Gustavus, ah, who cares, it's just Sweden anyway".
And at the same time claims to be taking the high road regarding other cultures/nations.
Firaxis would have been the laughing stock if they would have used the picture of Abe but called him Washington.

Conquest or no conquest, there is significant overlap. Even without conquest, one can't draw reasonable borders around the fact that the Ottomans and Byzantium held (with a few territorial exceptions on the periphery of either power) the same territory.

Ok, screw the overlap, it's subjective. Let's use the term "Nation". This would be more historically correct. HRE was a state of primarily German nation. The Italian nation identity includes middle-age Venice, Florentia and so on, as well as Roman heritage.

Ok, screw the overlap, it's subjective. Let's use the term "Nation". This would be more historically correct. HRE was a state of primarily German nation. The Italian nation identity includes middle-age Venice, Florentia and so on, as well as Roman heritage.

Germany and Austria. Try again.

It was directed against the creator of this game or at least against the person who decided that - "Oh, we have used the wrong model when we made Gustavus, ah, who cares, it's just Sweden anyway".
And at the same time claims to be taking the high road regarding other cultures/nations.
Firaxis would have been the laughing stock if they would have used the picture of Abe but called him Washington.

Ahh I understand now and absolutely agree. It should be true to the actual leader unless there are no records of their appearance. I know Catherine in the Civ games is smoking hot but in actuality she wasn't that good looking. It's all about the appeal ;)

Using the term "nation" to anything pre-18th century just doesnt work - and HRE is the best example of that.

Actually that's just old age creeping up on her in that picture. In her younger years Catherine was quite pretty:

The Civilization depiction is still not quite accurate, of course. :lol:

HRE was a state of primarily German nation.

To be really picky, HRE was never a Nation, let alone German. It was a collection of independent states. To quote Wikipedia

(HRE) was a complex political union of territories in Central Europe existing from 962 to 1806. .... evolving instead into a decentralised, limited elective monarchy composed of hundreds of smaller sub-units, principalities, duchies, counties, Free Imperial Cities, and other domains.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Roman_Empire

Ahh I understand now and absolutely agree. It should be true to the actual leader unless there are no records of their appearance. I know Catherine in the Civ games is smoking hot but in actuality she wasn't that good looking. It's all about the appeal ;)

Even though your example would be more valid if you had included a portrait that has the same age that they used in the game (or at least approximately) but you are right, Firaxis doesn't seems to take leader picture so seriously and this was also my point.
Instead of looking at nice pictures of north African leaders, perhaps looking at the history of the nation/civilization instead would be a better way of determining which one it is, since leaderhead and likeness isn't necessary their strong suit.

Fixed that for you.

I purposely said Italian instead of Venetian, because the Venetian flag looks nothing like the Italian flag and the flag in the image appears to be the Italian flag.

Other flags that could fit that small portion we see and that aren't already a civ are, Canada, French Guiana, Guadeloupe, Italy, Martinique, Mayotte, Mexico, Malta and Peru.

French Guiana, Guadeloupe, Martinique and Mayotte probably should be counted as part of France, so that rules these out. Leaving Canada, Italy, Mexico, Malta and Peru as possibilities.

These remaining 5 possibilities all fit in this alphabetical list.
Assyria
Brazil
NEW CIV
NEW CIV
Poland
Portugal
NEW CIV
NEW CIV
Zulu

My source for the flags is World Flag Database .

Morocco's flag is a solid red field with a green star in the center, so that rules Morocco out as a possibility for this civ's image.

Also, Italy is confirmed as being in the Scramble for Africa scenario based on the achievements for this scenario.
<name>Discoverer</name><apiname>achievement_xp2_55</apiname><description>Playing as Italy in Scramble for Africa, earn the VP for finding two Natural Wonders.

Therefore, I'm sticking with my theory that this image is for Italy. If the person in the image is supposed to be the leader, it's possible he's dressed like the famous archeologist I linked previously because he's visiting one of the dig sites. It's also possible that this image is from the Scramble for Africa scenario. In any case, it's clearly not the normal civ leader portrait.

Using the term "nation" to anything pre-18th century just doesnt work - and HRE is the best example of that.

The fact what the term "Nation" wasn't used doesn't mean nations didn't exist.

Germany and Austria. Try again.

Why? They share language with Germany and this causes quite close relations, but they were only united in HRE (together with many non-German speaking territories). Austrian have their own nation identity.

P.S. I know what civilization in Civ games are abstract and you can't strictly bind them to history. But, that's there the term identity comes into play. It's possible to have separate Turkey and Ottoman or Russian Empire and USSR (the USSR even isn't a legal heir for Russian Empire), but in common vision they are the same.

I purposely said Italian instead of Venetian, because the Venetian flag looks nothing like the Italian flag and the flag in the image appears to be the Italian flag.

Just being facetious :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom