1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

31 Civs in a thread.

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Stories & Tales' started by Marsden, Aug 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vind2

Vind2 Woof?

Very nice :D

2. Tone

Tone Deity Hall of Fame Staff

I can see that you've been a bit busy lately. :goodjob:

The domination DG game looked fun.

3. Marsden

Marsden Keeper of the HoF Annex Hall of Fame Staff

Because I thought I was loosing until right about before the end. I couldn't finish of Japan or India, and England seemed to be way ahead on tech. If the English had iron or researched invention, I don't know if I could have beat them. Also, my experience on this level is limited, and I didn't realise I was doing better than I was. I was only hoping to take away a few English towns near me, I never dreamed when I started on them I would wipe them out. Also, there was only one English city south of Japan, I thought there was at least three. Last, I wasn't counting on having three armies. I never did get knights, but apparently you don't need to know chivalry to get the crusaders out of the Knights Templar.

Thanks, everyone, I started the Mongols on a large monarch conquest, but I don't think I'll be finishing that before next weekend.

4. Tone

Tone Deity Hall of Fame Staff

Iron *might* have been a problem but I doubt very much that invention would have stopped you. The AI really doesn't understand how to use longbows and so you might have lost a few units to counter attacks but they can't resist sending their bows out into the open unaccompanied. :spank:

Sometimes you can show the AI too much respect at the higher levels. They can often have massive armies to start with but once their initial forces are dealt with, you can get them on the back foot and kick them off the planet. Your experience may be limited but you are more than good enough to rule this level. Easy! :goodjob:

5. Experiment 626

Experiment 626 Prince

:banana: :banana: :banana: Go, Marsden, Go! :banana: :banana: :banana:

6. Lord_Iggy

Lord_Iggy Tsesk'ihe

Nice work Mars.

7. Marsden

Update time! Here come two more civs.

The Mongols, being militaristic and expansionist, I decided to try a fast conquest. I picked a large pangea 80% water on monarch against six opponents.

I picked the opponents because they are basically on the low end of the scale or bad on pangea.

The begining.

This may not look to bad, but look at what I can see after I move my scout and settler.

Talk about food? This will be a good base of operations for world conquest.

At 1000BC I haven't expanded quite as much as I'd have liked, but then I never really do. I had a minor war with India, took Madras and my first luxury.

The English threaten me for something, which I promptly refuse. They attack and my army seems to be fighting impared. I loose two cities until I can rally then I retake them an grab a few from England. I make peace, get 2 more towns and attack India again to secure the silks and also to kill them.

Spain demands something and then declares on me, I then tell Portual to get lost and they declare on me. All this fighting takes place all around Japanese territory until I hit all close targets and wiped out India and England.

I kept all of their cities and England was nice enough to build me the ToA. This lead to my downfall, as I never researched Education and triggered a domination victory in 1010AD

Victory screen.

Mini map, note I was no where near astronomy, so I wouldn't be getting to the Zulu on the island anytime soon, so domination in retrospect isn't too bad.

I give this one a C, I didn't get what I started out for, but it worked out ok. I used a lot of horsemen and Kashiks, and have a new respect for the militaristic trait as almost all of my units could count on promotions.

This will rank 6 on the corresponding table, if no other entries are submitted.

8. Marsden

Same settings as last time, almost. I was going to make sure there was no accidental domination this time.

Another nice looking start, turned out to be not that good for early conquest.

Ups and downs of starting on a distant peninsula, it hurts early conquest but it's good for security. My core never got attacked the whole game, no one came close, but then my troops had to walk forever to get anywhere.

Another bad thing about this start, even though I have 3(!) iron, I have no horses, the closes being near Hastings. Naturally, this is my main starting target. I sent several gangs of workers building a military highway as well as a future trade road for horses. I have a short war with England, grab wines, and have a clear path to the horses. Right about when I seem to be at a (very) slight disadvantage, I have a peace treaty, then expand and rearm.

England is almost gone, and I can't see Scandinavia or India. Japan has ivory. I decide to go after them next, but end up fighting a horde of Portugese archers and horsemen in Japanese territory. I get tired of my lack of progress and call in Spain. Variously I hit Japanese and Portugese targets until Japan has 2 towns, and Portugal is almost gone. I capture ToA from Portugal with 7 turns left before discover of Edu. Just right to give my the first culture pop but no risk of domination.

Between Ansars and ACs no one really can stand up to me.

But this time I have 2 opponents overseas. Anticipating this, and considering the attributes of the Ansar, I ignore the bottom of the tech tree and research towards astronomy. Unfortunately, even with the great lighthouse, there is too much ocean to get at them with sufficent force, so I grab navagation, the first time I can remember researching it in a long time.

The Vikings actually put up something of a fight, but they have no iron and I crush them. I then turn toward India, who in 1200AD have not discovered writing or horseback riding, fall quickly, though they still have more culture than me. They actually had a couple chariots, I didn't realise what they were when I first saw them, as in Civ 3 the chariot age is extremely short lived.

Overall, I found I dislike Arabia even more than I thought, and I am putting them lower on my chart, only above Portugal because of the good Ansar. I don't really want to play them again, but in getting a start, I came across a 5 cow coastal and want to try it someday for 20k. I haven't beat 20k on higher than regent yet, so I should be able to handle monarch, I think.
    I give this game a D, just because I should have been able to do it quicker, even with having to search the wide ocean for my last two opponents. This will rank 2 on the table if no other entries come in.

Here is my new ranking, subject to change of course.

1. Portugal
    2. Arabia
    3. Hittites
    4. Spain
    5. Zulu
    6. Mongols
    7. Scandinavia
    8. Dutch
    9. India
    10. Japan
    11. England
    12. Carthage
    13. America
    14. Rome
    15. Egypt
    16. Aztecs
    17. Germany
    18. Inca
    19. Maya
    20. Celts
    21. China
    22. France
    23. Babylon
    24. Korea
    25. Greece
    26. Persia
    27. Ottoman
    28. Russia
    29. Byzantine
    30. Sumeria
    31. Iroquois

9. Marsden

Just got this started, more to follow. Wish me luck, I've never took on a large over emperor.

Edit: Strike one, I lost around 650BC. I think I'll retreat to Emperor, maybe.

I am going to try deity again, not sure when or with whom. I thought I was doing very good at 1000BC, I got Philo! and took lit as free, traded around to pairity and had some techs left over. Sharing an island with Egypt, they let me alone for the most part, only demanding horseback riding, which is really silly, they have war chariots that are as good as horsemen without it. Then Egypt built the Temple of artemis and were starting Zeus. I didn't want to let them overwhelm me with culture, plus I didn't want to face a load of ACs on top of that. I had iron and they did not so I built barracks and swordsmen and tried to attack. Well, I know it's RNG but, my first vet swordsman attacked a war chariot and lost. Then, keeping in mind the Egyptians are in a golden age as well as being a deity AI, they managed to completely flank my troops attack on of the capture one of the iron sources and move on and took another town using my own roads.

Well, there's always next time.

10. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

Expansionist is really a hit/miss trait. Sometimes it will give you these wonderful free towns and settlers, and other times you just get a bunch of useless maps.

Now wheres my Huge Mongol game (that I am slowly moving through.... ugh, i hate huge maps.)

11. Vind2

Vind2 Woof?

Nice games. Good luck with the vikings.

12. FascistRepublic

FascistRepublic Warlord

Good Games, and keep it up with Ragnar.

13. Marsden

Strike two with the Vikings. I tried a large arch. on :blush: warlord. Well, I was on a long island with the Mongols on the far end across a jungle. I tried to invade and ended up loosing all of my road towns. I had MI and swords and they had archers. I lost 4 towns and saw that it was around 400AD and haven't even finished off one opponent.

I'm going to try a smaller map size just to get past them, I never expected to have so much trouble getting past the Vikings.

14. Marsden

First, I'd like to say to everyone that has been following I didn't give up, I have just been on a detour in Viking land (not Minnesota).

I finally finished with these Vikings, and I am really disappointed. Military isn't a bad backup trait, but you need a good "main" trait like industrious or commercial, and seafaring is another backup. Plus, I was terribly disappointed that Vikings don't get harbors for 15 shields. Yes, I know that would be really cheap, but both traits get half price harbors and I think that both should add together for a quarter price harbor. It's the only building in the game that would qualify as such and it's not as if a harbor is the most devastating thing in the game as to unbalance it in favor of the Vikings, so I don't see why they didn't put it in, probably never occured to them. Well, enough commentating, let's get this pig roasted.

Conquest, pangea 80% water, 3 billion, against Arabia, Japan, Ameriaca, and Russia.

An ok start, I didn't feel like searching for more as this is the fourth time around.

I'm never good at early conquest, but these guys really don't give me that much to work with.

I got started with Arabia first, but at times was at war with 3 or 4 of them, plus I managed to use Japan as a buffer against Russia who was definately the strongest AI located at the far west end. America was stuck in a terribly hilly mountainous region and Japan was in dense jungle, this world was a real nightmare.

I finished the Arabs first, cleaned out America next, all the while waring against the other two. Japan was getting crushed between Russia and I, but they had 3 cities on the north west island and they were actually the last to go.

Newton's U is a prebuild for the Pentagon, which I kept losing because I lost more armies in this game than I ever have. Unlike most other things, when you lose your third army the Pentagon progress just evaporates and I'd be building a cavalry in that city.

I built only units, plus some barracks, harbors, and heroic epic and military acadamy and Zeus. I didn't find the berserks to be as useful as I thought. Even now after going through it they "look good on paper" but they really didn't perform too well. I think you could look at it like this, we've all had cavalry lose to pikemen occasionally, but they usually run, the berserks can't retreat and it's hard (for me at least) to build sufficient numbers to get the job done. Plus, with roads a knight moves six to a galley's 4 or a caravel's 5, and you don't need the ships.

This dog takes dead last (#6) on the standard emperor conquest chart.

15. Marsden

After the disappointment with the Vikings I was happy to move on, but I wasn't sure what to expect here. After spending a few hours trying to get a good start for the current gauntlet http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=186422 I gave up. I was so tired of civ at this time I played Doom for awhile, but I calmed down and tried a larger world, standard, at one step lower in difficulty. So demi god 20k it was, although the whole game I was intending to try to build the UN and go for diplomatic if I could. Well, the diplomatic fell apart as I was super way behind, I don't think I've ever been that far behind before, at least certainly not in a game I won. And if anyone out there thinks diplomatic is a cheap victory, well that's nothing compared to this, I actually felt like (for a millisecond) that I cheated the AIs on this one, but tough, like Dracula said in Dead and Loving It, "They had it coming!"

This is 4 billion 70% water archepelago with arid temprate weather. two cows and a river is the best I could find.

Not much to show as the AI rapidly grabbed everything and I barley fit 5 cities in my small territory. I didn't want to start any wars to keep the diplomacy option open, plus I didn't feel like fighting too much this time around as I just finished the Viking quagmire (gigidy gigidy goo!) last game. I'm sure I could have expanded much better if I built 8 settlers instead of the Colossus, but 20k was the backup plan.

I also thought, foolishly, that I would have my own island to live on with an archepelago but I had Germany and Babyon! Two of the most aggressive AIs and I'm lucky neither of them decided to wipe me out. One snag that really annoyed me is Russian bombers destroyed my temple and I lost the doubled culture when I rebuilt it.

I was attacked by Persia, and Russia. I was also declared on by Japan, Sumeria and the Ottomans. Luckily they never sent any units. The Russian attack was actually somewhat decent for the AI's ability, 8 units, but I wiped them out, it also cost me the few offensive units I had but I made it. The Swiss Mercinary is not bad, I had one fight off 2 infantry in the above mentioned invasion. I had already had my despotic golden age after finishing the pyramids. I didn't get as much of the wonders, but I got enough.

I didn't look first and I didn't realise this chart was full. This is barely going to make it at #10. Still, it's the first time I got 20k above Regent. BTW, no SGLs. I did have a few chances though, I got Music Theory, Economics, and of course writing philosophy and literature first, not sure about any others all game though, it seemed like as soon as I decided on a tech no one had bablyon got it 2 turns before me. I don't know if you can tell, but Japan and the Ottomans were wiped out. I set the AI on least aggressive, but there were endless wars all around me, I was just lucky I had some rubber right next to my capital.

Take note of the Russian total culture! And they were gaining over 500/turn.

India next, don't know what I'm going to do with them, maybe I'll try that gauntlet again.

16. D'Artagnan59

D'Artagnan59 The Gascon

Close one. 2 turns, kaboom.

17. FascistRepublic

FascistRepublic Warlord

Good job. I'm sure it will get even better!

18. Swiss_Mercenari

Swiss_Mercenari Comedic Jihadist

Despite the fact that you were a miniscule nation state confined by agressive AI civs, you managed to become the victor of your game as the Dutch.
    I hope the next game is more lucrative!

19. Marsden

I'm back again, and here we go with India. I decided to go for a large dip. win on emperor. This was the first game in a long time where I really felt I was just having one of those "peaceful builder" games. I rarely feel like I can keep up with the AI in expansion and resort to war to pull ahead. This time I didn't want to attack recklessly, so I concentrated more on culture and research than units.

Here is my first big loss, I didn't get the free tech for philosophy. I almost abandonded the game right there. I stuck with it, but it took me 23 turns to research republic, 23 turns off my date is a big difference, although I had some other mistakes later.

Here I am at a point where I am about done with expansion and realise I must take more territory to have the largest country to guarantee I'm on the ballot. I was still deciding if I want to attack Germany or Sumeria when the Sumerians decided for me and attacked without warning. Note: I set the AI aggression to lowest, and I still got attacked and declared on more times than I can count. I didn't get threatened too much, though. This war worked very well for me, as I was just starting to build War Elephants. They are a good overall unit, and while the lack of resources is not too big a deal, I didn't have any iron at this point, but felt okay about not entering into a desperate early struggle to get some because of the security the Elephant gave me.

Remember, they attacked me!

This was better, as Ur had the pyramids and the gardens, plus now I got my own iron. I almost had two, but my temporary allies the Babylonians got the other. They ended up attacking me later, I didn't want to expand much further, so I just took a few cities on the border and used them the whole rest of the game as an anvil to keep beating on with allies, not fighting them myself.

I decided to see if Democracy was any good, my conclusion is: it isn't. This is a side by side analysis on which I made my decision. I many times regreted changing to democracy, but even with the religous trait I didn't want to have another anarchy and switch back because I didn't think it was worth the delay in research.

Most of my economy was dependent on trades of resources and techs. I was consistently ahead of everyone but Ottomans and Germany, and I was able to trade for their techs. After I built Evolution, I was ahead of everyone until the modern age, when I then lost ground due to war weariness forcing me to have 30% entertainment.

Well, after being at war with Babylon, then demanding my future opponent, Osman, get out or declare and being in a long holding action, I make it to the modern ages only to lose my prebuild 2 turns before I discover fission. I gifted Persia and Germany into modern times, but neither got it, plus they wouldn't sell me their tech until I got fission. But this helped by keeping the alliance against Babylon and co-belligerency against the Ottomans. I was weak against the neighbors, but I had a lot of bombers and artillery that the AI doesn't count well. 18 turns later I built the UN.

It was quite a landslide, I didn't even need to keep the locals at each other's throat so much, but oh well. BTW, at one point or another Egypt, Zulu and Russia were at war with me at the request of the Ottomans. Except for sinking an Egyptian frigate, I took no action against them and after peace treaties traded with them, thus keeping their attitude good. I also took the opportunity to kill Sumeria when they declared on me as part of an alliance after I had marines. I would have killed them during the course of the first war, but note their last city is a on tile island.

Here is a final picture of my contry.

Japan's next.

20. jalapeno_dude

jalapeno_dude AKA Panda Judo Eel

Nice work!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.