31 Civs in a thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good stuff, Marsden. Maybe I'll play India one day soon, but if I switch governments late-game, I'll go for communism. What sort of victory will you be going for with Japan?

Hello, sorry I missed your comments before I dove into this. I was reviewing my previous games and I had 3 20k games, but no 100k so I decided to go for a warlike builder type approach, to which Japan's traits are suited.

I chose Obunaga instead of Tokagawa. No particular reason.

A fair start, it should be sufficient for my purposes.

After some friendly trading, I decide to murder my only neighbors, China. While they never really had a chance I am frustrated at the time it takes to finish them.

I am disappointed with my slow expansion, expecting to fill in this whole island. I'm not sure what I did wrong, but I always have the same problem, not expanding as fast as I should. This is one of the main reasons I'm not a good civ3 player.

By this time I've just about filled in and am trying to get as much culture generators built as I can. I went the Temple of Artemis way this game, never discovering education. It has advantages and disadvantages. Actually, it's a bad strategy as the loss of universities and no temple doubling is worse than the instant temple you get with each city, but it's a lazy approach, with less to build in a tedious win condition.

And the Empire at the end of the game. This was really no contest, but I wish I could have done better. Although, considering the flawed strategy I employed I don't see how I could. If I had a better civ, militaristic doesn't help cultural, I might have succeded and got a better date.

India is almost a problem, but they never caught up enough to be a problem. If they did, I would have been in quite a situation, not having any good ships and in the middle middle ages with India in the late industrial. I don't have the culture/turn stats for India but I was getting well over 700/turn.

Sorry, Vind. I didn't see your request before I did this. Thanks, everyone for your comments.

Hello. England is my next civ and I have decided to switch gears and instead of going for a good date for the HoF, I'm going to go for a high score. I will be submitting this to the 100k table, however, not the histographic. I'm basically playing this as a "how not to" game for the HoF. For example: you can pick your opponents-I hit all random, you can reduce the number of opponents-I left all on, I'm going for score and culture-England has no growth bonus and no cheap culture buildings, I'm playing a huge map in conquests which requires 160k-if I use PTW or Vanilla I only need 100k although on that last one I'd also lose my seafaring and upgraded MenOWar ships. Basically, I'm intending to have fun with a long drawn out huge monarch with 15 opponents. I'm envisioning fleets of MenOWar sailing the ocean, extending my power around the globe, to be replaced by aircraft carrier strike groups as the ages progress. Hail Brittainia! Also a big difference is I'm going to go to more of a post as I go style than the here's what happened style I've used so far. I've already played to 1000BC, and will post those soon. My main goal is to trigger the 100k after the year 2000, as close to 2049 as I can pull off. Don't ask why, I'm just crazy and I miss my modern armor smashing through my enemies.

England! One of my favorite countries, although not on the most popular list for Civ3, they have a very interesting trait combo that makes for lots of extra commerce--seafaring adds +1 trade in coastal cities and commercial adds +1 extra trade and has a corruption reduction. So I don't get too many half price buildings, but I'll have plenty of cash to buy them full price.

As I said above, this is more of a "what not to do" type game, but since I'm really at my limit as far as increasing any ranks, I thought I would just have fun with this one, so all random it is.

This looks like a nice start, doesn't it?

Here's my capital. Oh look, a hut on my border, I'll be getting something nice in 10 turns, maybe a tech or a warrior, maybe even a settler!

HEY! That's not nice! Who would have thought a curragh counts as having an army!

I quit.

This looks like a nice start, doesn't it?

Ummm.....Beef. Oh, hum, excuse me, just looking at the wonderful resources of cattle near by.

Wow, I must be in Wisconsin, there's a load of beef about. Maybe I should invent and found Wendy's.

I think I'm going to try to have 3 different towns share this field of beef, plus it's too late to move the first settler, duh.

Off to a good start this time? Join us next time on Huge England Theater.

Edit: No you aren't seeing things, I accidentally saved the same screenshot twice under two different names. The second shot of the settler is supposed to be a shot of the newly established capital of London, showing the second cow barely visible in the first shot. I will fix this asap, next week sometime.

Look who's here, the Aztecs, one of my all time most Hated civs.

So far this is getting worse as it goes, another on my hate list.

A thousand years of civilization, and this is it. I wish I can learn how to do proper Rex, I do more of a s(low)ex(pansion), wait I can't call it sex! People will automatically think of something completely different. How about I come back to this.

YAAAAh! I've finally expanded. The first, but certainly not last new city is founded. I intend on keeping the English default names, but I'm not going to use the "new" names, I'll find other proper English names, no more "New The Mumbles" Also, don't you think I could contact the civ I now share a common border with? Well, I can't. At least until I see a unit, I guess.

Oh, goody. Can you say "broken culturally linked starting locations."

More English settlement. Notice I'm not about to let a little thing like that
Aztec settlement to the south stand in the way of my expansion.

Well, this is a little different. I hate having Babylon as a neighbor as they have attacked me in every game I can remember. Of course, I probably will attack them sometime, so it might play to my advantage.

I'm still behind, but I'm catching up. If this was demigod, I'd be gone by now. At least I'll be getting some spices to ease up on entertainment spending.

Nice wheat! I hope this will become a good center for commerce in the future. Oh, look, Sumeris. I suppose Persia will be about soon.

I made it to the next island over, and Germany is Green! Wow, I never saw this before. I also think I saw America and Iroquois on my Island. Looks like the gang is all here.

Well, I know I've been building up lately, but this is unexpected. Too bad this doesn't count for anything.

I'm a little surprised the Maya and Inca aren't there.

Well, maybe it isn't bad having your enemies close by after all. He he he! I'll take choice two, if you please, Monty.

This will allow my forces quicker access to the Aztec core, such as it is. Plus, it's saves me a settler, I'm not worried about this flipping.

This is good, it will help secure my iron source and allow me to expand south and east along the coast. I see gems plus I've reason to believe there is Ivory in this direction(Aztecs building Statue of Zeus). 3 luxes isn't too bad in the local area.

Filling in the spaces left open from the autorazed size 1 towns the Aztecs lost.

Well, this is disappointing. I was hoping a local lunkhead would build this for me. The Mongrels are on the next island with Celts and Greenmany.

Filling in tight against Bablyon. I'm falling behind on culture already, I've got to be careful these don't flip. I'm going to secure my northern flank by taking out Bablyon next.

The Aztecs are folding like a cheap suit. How do cheap suits fold, anyway? They haven't even given me a counterattack yet! And NO Jaguars? Why wouldn't they have at least 1 or 2?

Well, join us next time on Huge England Theater, sometime next week or so. I'm hoping to have the Aztecs gone and start on Bablyon almost immediately after. Then I'll have 3 iron and horses. :mwaha: :mwaha: :mwaha:

Back again! More action. I have now been at war with everyone on the island except the Iroquois, and I don't know why they haven't yet. My rep is totally ruined because I had some nice trade deals for luxuries going with the other island but the coastal squares the trade route passed through were in Incan territory and they declared on me.

Well, back to the story. The gems were on the mountain, so I burned a slave to make a colony just to road the gems immediately, then founded the city automatically connecting the road.

Grabbed the corner of the island.

The Aztecs are no more.

Trying to fill in the empty Aztec territory, the Sumeris have creeped toward me.

I ran the army to the north central and declared war on Babylon.

The Americans jumped me. I lost a town, then got an alliance with the Maya to block them and I didn't see them again. However, they brought the Sumeris in on their side against me and now I've got two enemies on my borders plus another somewhat removed. I replace the Aztec town the Americans razed.

I took Kish off the Sumerians. I don't really hope to hold it long, 100% resistance and their culture is about twice mine.

The wars ended indecisively, most of my Sumerian gains flipped back, the Americans quit. I got most of Babylon but didn't take the capital. Now I upgraded to Mideaval Infantry and attack Sumeria again.

The super Maya are in real trouble this time around. The Sumerians and Americans decided to beat the snot out of them. Ha!

Well, that didn't take much longer.

Leeds deposed my governor and flipped to the Babyonians. This just annoyed me, but I decided to exterminate them finally for all time.
The city soon falls.

I discover gunpowder and get a surprise! Sir Isaac Newton stops by.

I wanted to pocket him until something good came up but I wouldn't be able to and MGLs while he's there, and I really want MGLs, so I have him build Leo's shop.

This is the last Babylonian city nearby theres on out past the Iroquois.

This is the final Bab city and gives me some incence, too.

What was annoying was on the way to attacking Eridu, the Incas jumped me and wiped out the force of infantry walking through Iroquois territory. I signed the Iroquois to an alliance to keep them both busy.

What's this fool doing here?

I wiped out the closest Inca city, I didn't bother trying to mount an offensive against them because they are on the far side of the island.

Now that Babylon is gone and the Inca and Iroquois are busy, time to get after Sumeria again.

Is this guy stupid? I got a loose spearman wandering around and I'm not supposed to tell him get out? Well he got out, in a box.

My assault on Sumeria starts of well.

Kish will not flip again.

Filling in the gaps of former Sumerian territory.

I know that was a poor city placement, but I just wanted to get those roads reconected and claim that territory before anyone else decided to try to claim it.

I kept Der because it's culture border never expanded and I deemed it an acceptable risk. Most of the other Sumerian core cities were razed, but I kept the outlying cities and all former Mayan cities the Sumerians owned.

Uh oh, out of names, I guess I'll need to start thinking of some.

Well, second time around Ur is mine. The first assault on Ur back in English-Sumerian war 2 failed, my macemen losing to Endikus. Why would ten mace with attack 4 lose to 6 Endikus with defense 2, or why the Sumerians only had Endikus in their capital and pikes in the outer cities, I don't understand. What I do know is my cavalry smashed the defending muskets and now I have Sun Tzu's to go with my workshop.

It flipped back about 4 turns later, but I wiped out the defending Endikus again.

Finally, after all of the action I've had, I got a leader! And it's Edward the Black Prince, too! He immediately goes to the nearest town to form an army. I then attacked with my next elite unit. Good thing I didn't upgrade those last two knights. After all the attacks I stuff 3 cavalry in Ed's army.

Ironically, the last Mayan city is now the last Sumerian city. It's location is why it was the last holdout I think. I asked the Americans for help against Sumeria just so they might get rid of this place for me, but they didn't even do that.

And thus passes Sumeria.

And now, I'm not sure who to kill next. The Iroquois are to the north, probably the closest. The Inca and Americans are about the same distance, the three have almost the same number of cities. None of them have any resources that I don't already have. I'd get America first for sure but I don't like the jungle there. But be assured, I will wipe all three out and then get started on the Mongrels and other fools on the next island. The thought of 7 luxuries free sound very appealing, plus I need the land to build more temples so my people can spread my culture like the plague. :mwaha: :mwaha: :mwaha:

Update on Monday or Tuesday, I have 52 more screenshots saved but I forgot the disk today. I just slaughtered the last civ I intended to and now its just me and the Vikings. Wait until you see them, the RNG gods can be cruel, he he he. Nothing I could do to them that their start hasn't already done.

Back again, this will sum up most of the rest of it all.

My glorious empire is the largest in the world! The only other power to destroy another civ has recently fallen, making me the sole Emperor in the world.

My scientists have discovered Magnetism. Normally, I don't post discovering a tech, but this is special for me as this gives me the ability to build my UU, the Manowar!

And here it is. A fun UU, if not a great one.

And the winner is: America! I attack them first.

I didn't take a shot of each city, I beat them without much loss, they had Crusaders, MI, and swords. Not much in the way of mobility, they had no horses.

My Manowar is already paying dividends, I finally found the other civs out there with an ocean going vessel.

Here are the Vikings.

This is has got to be one of the worst starts I've ever seen.

The island shared by the Spainish and Ottomans. Notice the strange city arrangement.

And the island shared by France and the Dutch.

Plus, here is the neighboring land containing Germany, the Mongols, and the Celts. This is only seperated by coast squares and I've been trading with them for a long time now.

The Iroquois have had a few units in my territory for years now since our alliance against Sumeria. I asked them to leave and bingo!

I built the iron works, one of my favorites, fairly close to my capital, this should provide some good production.

One of my Menowar defeats an Iroquois frigate and tada! Golden age, baby!

I start grabbing enemy cities.

A new leader!

And the Iroquois are crushed.

No time like the present to secure the whole island to myself. Same trick as the Iroquois, just tell him to get out and thank you!

Another leader. I didn't bother to name any units this game, I just didn't feel like it, I guess.

Magellans! I wanted to build this but this is just as good.

I had to ship over to the last Inca city on this island. No problems, this just gives me a base to attack the next island.

Donnie Osman is certainly full of himself. He's full of something at least. I just sent him away.

Tee Hee! Time to kill somemore.

Hey, now we knew this was bound to happen. This is the first war between AIs that I didn't provoke with an alliance.

Here you go superslug! The Mongrels are toast!
Glorious, my @$$!

Here is one that might need some explaination. I noticed that the Vikings are stuck on that tiny island, still in the ancient age and trapped by ocean. Because I want to keep one civ alive to not trigger the conquest, as soon as I saw this I knew I wanted to keep them around. It's almost perfect, I don't have to give them a remote town, they have their own! Then, as you might be able to see in the shot, a Dutch galley showed up. Now I know that there aren't enough units in that galley to kill the Vikings, but I'm not taking any chances. I declared the Vikings a Protectorate of the Crown and have had from 3 to 7 Menowar on patrol around their borders. At the sight of the invading galley, my ships open fire and sink the interloper triggering the first Anglo-Dutch war.

And grow a new Manowar out of it as a bonus. Again, this is a fun UU.

I know, I contradicted myself there, I only had one ship in Scandinavia, but later on I'll have more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom