31% of americans are obese today

Comraddict

C.IV
...and tomorrow it will be 40%. overweight - I think today's number is around 60%.

About 40% of Americans, or 68 million people, will be obese by 2010 if people keep gaining at the current rate, government researchers predict.
About 31% of Americans are now obese, which is defined as roughly 30 or more pounds over a healthy weight.
John Foreyt, director of Behavioral Medicine Research Center at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, estimates that almost every American will be overweight or obese by 2040.

A few, possibly 5% to 15%, might be able to maintain a healthy weight, he says.

"But most of us are in trouble," Foreyt says. "We are affected so strongly by the environment — fast food, big portion sizes and the lack of a need to be active — that we are doomed."

Samuel Klein of the North American Association for the Study of Obesity says, "More lives are being lost to obesity than any war or terrorist attack."

http://www.usatoday.com/life/2003-10-13-obese_x.htm

Sometimes the numbers can be skewed a bit. A one size fits all healthy weight doesn't really work. If, say, the healthy weight for someone my height (6'4") is something like 215 pounds, I'd be not much more than a skeleton. I do have nice, dense and heavy bones, which is why they never break. I also have a good amount of muscle. Yes, I have some gut and I need to get rid of it, even then, it really came when I was inactive after injury, but according to these guys, I'm "obese" or even "dangerously obese." I weigh about 270 right now. I think a perfect weight for someone like myself would be in the 245-260 area...which is just barely making it under the maximum weight for my height for the Marines (which is 253, I believe, at least before boot camp). So I KNOW this "healthy weight" is lower than this....235 lbs tops, probably.

Although, yes, there are a number of overweight people. That's the price for increased laziness and luxury.

:lol: To think one day they say every American will be overweight.....like that'll ever happen.

We'll reach a ceiling at one point.

Originally posted by cgannon64
Hey, a little over 6 foot and 135 pounds here.

Can you tell I'm a cross country runner? :p

Yikes. Never thought I could go and lift up someone 6 feet tall. Not that I'm going to go and try that.

Anorexic means you think that your fat, and try to lose weight because of it. This relatively rare, at least in males.
Most people are skinny simply because they don't eat much, or work out a lot. I don't each much, so I'm also way underweight.

I'm not anorexic, and I don't try to keep weight down. I eat until I am full, I eat about 2.5 meals a day, I admit I don't eat as much meat as I should.

Last time I visted the doctor he said I was only about 10 lbs underweight. Remember, I'm only 14, I'm still growing, I haven't exactly filled in my weight of my growth spurt yet...

145 pounds is normal for 6 feet tall? Wow. And when I was that height, I was around 215.

I'm looking at some Body-Mass Indexes online, putting in 135 for 6 feet puts me about .2 under normal weight, putting me at 140 for 6 goot puts me right in normal weight.

Adding an inch (6 foot 1) and making it 135 puts it about .5 underweight, making it 6 foot 1 and 140 makes it normal.

How old were you when you were 6 foot? That probably is a big factor, because usually people get their growth spurt and then they fill in...

My sister's purse weighs more than she does. Which is why she always carries it in a stiff breeze.

Some people just never seem to gain weight.

check it

Attachments

• soldier.jpg
    soldier.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 3,791
more people need to join the army and lose weight

(lots of excersize in their training) :) :goodjob:

Originally posted by cgannon64
I'm looking at some Body-Mass Indexes online, putting in 135 for 6 feet puts me about .2 under normal weight, putting me at 140 for 6 goot puts me right in normal weight.

Adding an inch (6 foot 1) and making it 135 puts it about .5 underweight, making it 6 foot 1 and 140 makes it normal.

How old were you when you were 6 foot? That probably is a big factor, because usually people get their growth spurt and then they fill in...

I was 11 years old.

Top Bottom