A New Name

Civ 5 Evolved

Came up with this as I was thinking that this mod is the way Civ was meant to be played. It is the evolved version...and coincidentally the game is about evolution also.

I still think vox populi is the best I've seen.

Still approving of Vox Populi as well

In my opinion if someone's taste is patrician enough to like Civilization series, they will know how to write vox populi or, if not, they'll find it anyway. Anyway most of the players will just see the name mentioned on some forum/steam and CTRL+C CTRL+V it in google anyway, finding it, whereas finding just Civ 5 -DESCRIPTIVE BORING NAME- may link them to other projects who have those features despite not having the same name, creating confusion.

I still think vox populi is the best I've seen.

Still approving of Vox Populi as well

In my opinion if someone's taste is patrician enough to like Civilization series, they will know how to write vox populi or, if not, they'll find it anyway. Anyway most of the players will just see the name mentioned on some forum/steam and CTRL+C CTRL+V it in google anyway, finding it, whereas finding just Civ 5 -DESCRIPTIVE BORING NAME- may link them to other projects who have those features despite not having the same name, creating confusion.

Very well if we are going to start repeating ourselves I'll do the same.

I still think Latin are a bad idea, they sound pretentious and overly pompous.
On top of that streamers/youtubers are going to have a tough time pronouncing them, which is going to lead to potential players are going to have a hard time googling them. In short you're going to alienate some people and lose some potential players for no good reason at all.

On top of that streamers/youtubers are going to have a tough time pronouncing them, which is going to lead to potential players are going to have a hard time googling them. In short you're going to alienate some people and lose some potential players for no good reason at all.
Those same streamers/youtubers probably play Europa Universalis, which is even harder to pronounce.

No mod in Civ 5 right now exists that is on such an evolved level as this mod.

So it gets to be pompus xD

Those same streamers/youtubers probably play Europa Universalis, which is even harder to pronounce.

Except Europa universalis is huge, you can mess up half the letters in the words and still get a hit on google, a mod for civilizations 5 is not going to have that luxury.

No mod in Civ 5 right now exists that is on such an evolved level as this mod.

So it gets to be pompus xD
Most people completely despise arrogant attitudes like that.

I mean arrogant attitude is like the source of half the flaming on the internet, and is the source of hate towards console gamers, pc gamers, apple-users, android-users, americans and so on.

In fact I can't think of one situation where arrogance ever helped anyone.

Plenty of names, proper ones and less proper ones, have already been suggested. Is it the intention to go further until everybody agrees on 1 name, or do we think that not enough suggestions have been made or how will it continue further?
I mean there are not many suggestions made in the last few days, so I kind a think that most of us already suggested what they would like. That is maybe also why we are starting over with previous ideas/discussions...

Latin name = arrogance and pompousness. Interesting.

Anyway, arrogance often shields people from harm whenever their suspicions (of others inferiority/desires) are correct, same with stereotypes. They're not bad, they're typically good, no matter how politically incorrect, because most of stereotypes are due to something. Same with arrogance. They're positive. Also

VENI VIDI VICI

I am now the Fortress of Arrogance, all thy complaints are null and void. May thine ignorance of the power of arrogance be redeemed by the sins which I hath now committed, my Amicus.

I noticed your hate of number 1 dissipated at the same time when your dislike of Latin appeared. Coincidence? Or do you secretly think Latin is number 1?

     

Yeah it even corrects fox populee into vox populi. Even fax populi, too, is corrected.

Unless someone is so bad he writes like "civilized nations 5 mod faux popoopree by ganzboo from cipher fun attics" they're going to find it, and if someone wrote this name like I insinuated in the quotations, there's something seriously wrong with them.

and anyway who really "talks" about mods in real life? They're going to find out about the mods on forums/steam/whatever, which means they'll CTRL C CTRL V the name and find it

Besides, this whole arrogance argument makes no sense. Latin is just an old language. Using it doesn't automatically make something pretentious or arrogant.

Plenty of names, proper ones and less proper ones, have already been suggested. Is it the intention to go further until everybody agrees on 1 name, or do we think that not enough suggestions have been made or how will it continue further?
I mean there are not many suggestions made in the last few days, so I kind a think that most of us already suggested what they would like. That is maybe also why we are starting over with previous ideas/discussions...

As I mentioned previously, G already decided quite a few pages back which name he intended to use (Civilization Patch & Overhaul Project IIRC). But people (myself included) keep giving out new suggestions nonetheless.

Are we still hucking names at poor Gazebo? In that case, let's call the mod:

Gazebo: Civ V Edition

Latin name = arrogance and pompousness. Interesting.
I said that a Latin name sounds Pompous and Pretentious, never said anything about the name actually being arrogant or pompous, big difference.

What I called arrogance was the reponse that Marshmallowbear had for it.

"No mod in Civ 5 right now exists that is on such an evolved level as this mod.

So it gets to be pompus xD"

Using that as an excuse to motive a pompous name is arrogant.

I noticed your hate of number 1 dissipated at the same time when your dislike of Latin appeared. Coincidence? Or do you secretly think Latin is number 1?
I actually have no idea what you're talking about here. I've disliked Latin names from the start.

Things that I really don't think would be fitting in a name for a mod includes:
Latin
It either sounds like you're putting on airs, or as if you're purposely making fun of people who doesn't understand it. You wouldn't have a name in Chinese or Egyptian, so why Latin?
Worlds like 'Best', 'Ultimate', 'Perfect' and 'Number 1'
Sounds cocky and arrogant. Also unnecessarily taking jabs at all other mods in existance.
The word "Community"
I know that the idea behind it is that this is A community project, but like JFD said it really sounds like THE community project.

I do feel like the best fit as a name would be something that sounds kinda like an official civ-expansion. Around three words that kinda describes the new features and that sounds good together.

And again this is just my opinion on the matter.

As I mentioned previously, G already decided quite a few pages back which name he intended to use (Civilization Patch & Overhaul Project IIRC). But people (myself included) keep giving out new suggestions nonetheless.

I didn't decide anything. :D I issued my favorite for the CPP (overall) at the moment, but I – like others – remained dissatisfied with the sterility of the CBP's title. It sounds more like a surgical center for historians than a fancy-pants mod. The CBP desperately needs a new name. Civ 5: Faux Potpourri sounds fun to me. (Vox Populi). Definitely captures the community nature of the CBP beast we've made. It is my current pick as far as artsy names are concerned.

Ooh, how about Civ 5: Beast Mode? Civ 5: Manimal edition? Civ 5: Robots in Disguise? Civ 5: Vidi, Vici, Veni?

It either sounds like you're putting on airs, or as if you're purposely making fun of people who doesn't understand it. You wouldn't have a name in Chinese or Egyptian, so why Latin?

Sorry, Funak, but there's nothing pompous about what is - quite possibly - the most well-known Latin phrase. If we were using something obscure that would be one thing, but Vox Populi is hardly obscure (I should also note the irony of claiming that the phrase Vox Populi, one of the earliest expressions of democratic will, is elitist, but I digress).

G

Well, it wasn't clear actually. He made some conclusions (see post in spoiler) for the names:
Spoiler :
Lots of fine discussion here, everyone. I've come to two conclusions based on this discussion:

1.) The new title should not deviate far from the existing title, for the sake of clarity.
2.) It should not be too obscure.

As such, I think the safest options are as follows:

Rename the Community Patch Project as the Community Patch and Overhaul Project.

Components:

• Community Patch stays the same.
  • Community Balance Patch becomes the Community Balance Overhaul

Descriptive, similar enough to existing names, and avoids the existing issue surrounding the CBP including the word 'patch.'

G

But then after that post, he responded to another suggestion (see below his post in spoiler), which made I think some confusion and gave the impression that the mentioned names were not final.
Spoiler :
Community Balance of Power? Not bad. I could dig it. Still going to change the whole title of the project to CPOP though.

G
I think that since the change was not made yet and some are still throwing names (aware or unaware of the post with Gazebo's conclusions), that I came to the point that I forgot about that post...

Edit: But apparently, that was not his final decision yet... (See post above)

I didn't decide anything. :D I issued my favorite for the CPP (overall) at the moment, but I – like others – remained dissatisfied with the sterility of the CBP's title. It sounds more like a surgical center for historians than a fancy-pants mod. The CBP desperately needs a new name. Civ 5: Faux Potpourri sounds fun to me. (Vox Populi). Definitely captures the community nature of the CBP beast we've made. It is my current pick as far as artsy names are concerned.

Ooh, how about Civ 5: Beast Mode? Civ 5: Manimal edition? Civ 5: Robots in Disguise? Civ 5: Vidi, Vici, Veni?

Sorry, Funak, but there's nothing pompous about what is - quite possibly - the most well-known Latin phrase. If we were using something obscure that would be one thing, but Vox Populi is hardly obscure (I should also note the irony of claiming that the phrase Vox Populi, one of the earliest expressions of democratic will, is elitist, but I digress).

G

This is going to forever be Civ V: Robots in Disguise for me, now. :lol:

Top Bottom