1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

A New Name

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Gazebo, Mar 29, 2016.

1. jeremy0192

jeremy0192 Chieftain

Civ 5 Evolved

Came up with this as I was thinking that this mod is the way Civ was meant to be played. It is the evolved version...and coincidentally the game is about evolution also.

2. PeeDub

PeeDub Warlord

Civolution

3. Hakan-i Cihan

Hakan-i Cihan Emperor

Civolved V :)

4. a1nosweat

a1nosweat Warlord

I still think vox populi is the best I've seen.

5. Enrico Swagolo

Enrico Swagolo Deity

Still approving of Vox Populi as well

In my opinion if someone's taste is patrician enough to like Civilization series, they will know how to write vox populi or, if not, they'll find it anyway. Anyway most of the players will just see the name mentioned on some forum/steam and CTRL+C CTRL+V it in google anyway, finding it, whereas finding just Civ 5 -DESCRIPTIVE BORING NAME- may link them to other projects who have those features despite not having the same name, creating confusion.

6. Funak

Funak Deity

Very well if we are going to start repeating ourselves I'll do the same.

I still think Latin are a bad idea, they sound pretentious and overly pompous.
    On top of that streamers/youtubers are going to have a tough time pronouncing them, which is going to lead to potential players are going to have a hard time googling them. In short you're going to alienate some people and lose some potential players for no good reason at all.

7. Wodhann

Wodhann South American Norse God

Those same streamers/youtubers probably play Europa Universalis, which is even harder to pronounce.

8. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

No mod in Civ 5 right now exists that is on such an evolved level as this mod.

So it gets to be pompus xD

9. Funak

Funak Deity

Except Europa universalis is huge, you can mess up half the letters in the words and still get a hit on google, a mod for civilizations 5 is not going to have that luxury.

Most people completely despise arrogant attitudes like that.

I mean arrogant attitude is like the source of half the flaming on the internet, and is the source of hate towards console gamers, pc gamers, apple-users, android-users, americans and so on.

In fact I can't think of one situation where arrogance ever helped anyone.

10. Hakan-i Cihan

Hakan-i Cihan Emperor

Plenty of names, proper ones and less proper ones, have already been suggested. Is it the intention to go further until everybody agrees on 1 name, or do we think that not enough suggestions have been made or how will it continue further?
    I mean there are not many suggestions made in the last few days, so I kind a think that most of us already suggested what they would like. That is maybe also why we are starting over with previous ideas/discussions...

11. Enrico Swagolo

Enrico Swagolo Deity

Latin name = arrogance and pompousness. Interesting.

Anyway, arrogance often shields people from harm whenever their suspicions (of others inferiority/desires) are correct, same with stereotypes. They're not bad, they're typically good, no matter how politically incorrect, because most of stereotypes are due to something. Same with arrogance. They're positive. Also

VENI VIDI VICI

I am now the Fortress of Arrogance, all thy complaints are null and void. May thine ignorance of the power of arrogance be redeemed by the sins which I hath now committed, my Amicus.

I noticed your hate of number 1 dissipated at the same time when your dislike of Latin appeared. Coincidence? Or do you secretly think Latin is number 1?

12. Wodhann

     

13. Enrico Swagolo

Enrico Swagolo Deity

Yeah it even corrects fox populee into vox populi. Even fax populi, too, is corrected.

Unless someone is so bad he writes like "civilized nations 5 mod faux popoopree by ganzboo from cipher fun attics" they're going to find it, and if someone wrote this name like I insinuated in the quotations, there's something seriously wrong with them.

and anyway who really "talks" about mods in real life? They're going to find out about the mods on forums/steam/whatever, which means they'll CTRL C CTRL V the name and find it

14. Wodhann

Besides, this whole arrogance argument makes no sense. Latin is just an old language. Using it doesn't automatically make something pretentious or arrogant.

15. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

As I mentioned previously, G already decided quite a few pages back which name he intended to use (Civilization Patch & Overhaul Project IIRC). But people (myself included) keep giving out new suggestions nonetheless.

16. Gothic_Empire

Gothic_Empire AKA, Ramen Empire

Are we still hucking names at poor Gazebo? In that case, let's call the mod:

Gazebo: Civ V Edition

17. Funak

Funak Deity

I said that a Latin name sounds Pompous and Pretentious, never said anything about the name actually being arrogant or pompous, big difference.

What I called arrogance was the reponse that Marshmallowbear had for it.

"No mod in Civ 5 right now exists that is on such an evolved level as this mod.

So it gets to be pompus xD"

Using that as an excuse to motive a pompous name is arrogant.

I actually have no idea what you're talking about here. I've disliked Latin names from the start.

Things that I really don't think would be fitting in a name for a mod includes:
    Latin
    It either sounds like you're putting on airs, or as if you're purposely making fun of people who doesn't understand it. You wouldn't have a name in Chinese or Egyptian, so why Latin?
    Worlds like 'Best', 'Ultimate', 'Perfect' and 'Number 1'
    Sounds cocky and arrogant. Also unnecessarily taking jabs at all other mods in existance.
    The word "Community"
    I know that the idea behind it is that this is A community project, but like JFD said it really sounds like THE community project.

I do feel like the best fit as a name would be something that sounds kinda like an official civ-expansion. Around three words that kinda describes the new features and that sounds good together.

And again this is just my opinion on the matter.

18. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch Supporter

I didn't decide anything. :D I issued my favorite for the CPP (overall) at the moment, but I – like others – remained dissatisfied with the sterility of the CBP's title. It sounds more like a surgical center for historians than a fancy-pants mod. The CBP desperately needs a new name. Civ 5: Faux Potpourri sounds fun to me. (Vox Populi). Definitely captures the community nature of the CBP beast we've made. It is my current pick as far as artsy names are concerned.

Ooh, how about Civ 5: Beast Mode? Civ 5: Manimal edition? Civ 5: Robots in Disguise? Civ 5: Vidi, Vici, Veni?

Sorry, Funak, but there's nothing pompous about what is - quite possibly - the most well-known Latin phrase. If we were using something obscure that would be one thing, but Vox Populi is hardly obscure (I should also note the irony of claiming that the phrase Vox Populi, one of the earliest expressions of democratic will, is elitist, but I digress).

G

19. Hakan-i Cihan

Hakan-i Cihan Emperor

Well, it wasn't clear actually. He made some conclusions (see post in spoiler) for the names:
    Spoiler :

But then after that post, he responded to another suggestion (see below his post in spoiler), which made I think some confusion and gave the impression that the mentioned names were not final.
    Spoiler :

I think that since the change was not made yet and some are still throwing names (aware or unaware of the post with Gazebo's conclusions), that I came to the point that I forgot about that post...

Edit: But apparently, that was not his final decision yet... (See post above)

20. Gothic_Empire

Gothic_Empire AKA, Ramen Empire

This is going to forever be Civ V: Robots in Disguise for me, now. :lol: