1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

A New Name

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Gazebo, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Wodhann

Wodhann South American Norse God

English is an universal language in the modern sense. Latin is an "universal" language (at least to westerners) in the sense that it originated/influenced many of the languages we speak today and is an ancient language with a very big historical presence.

But all of that is kind of secondary, to be honest. Vox Populi is a term that exists, as written, and fits the bill. That's basically enough.

2. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

It might be a good point that Vox Populi is not that well-known in Europe.
    I asked a couple friends, most of them are also PhD students or postdocs, and none of them knew the term before. I wasn't familiar with it either, even though I even spend a huge amount of time on historic gaming forums.
    In spite of that I consider it a good choice.

EDIT: Thinking about it, maybe not in spite of that, but exactly because of that.
    It would probably be worse if it was a worn-out term.

3. ExpiredReign

ExpiredReign Deity

Since we seem to be having such a hard time naming this project what about:

CivV: Anonymous!

4. Funak

Funak Deity

:D

We could name it after the best and most beloved sequel in videogaming history:

CivV: Invisible War

^^

5. tu_79

tu_79 Deity

And now it shall be known for a Civilization V mod.

6. tu_79

tu_79 Deity

Seriously, what is the appeal of CP, CBP and CPP (names)? And yet, here we are.

7. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch Supporter

Right now I'm looking at two changes:

CPP -> CPOP

and

CBP -> Vox Populi

Simple and easy changes. CPOP is descriptive of what the entire package can do, whereas Vox Populi captures what the CBP is currently all about, that is community balancing and feature additions.

G

8. Funak

Funak Deity

You do what you want, but it is a terrible idea from a marketing perspective.

9. Wodhann

The CBP is already the entire package, though. You're basically giving it two different names, which is confusing.

10. Gazebo

CPP is the whole package, man. CBP is just the overhaul mod portion. CPP includes C4DF, CSD, More Luxuries, etc. That's why it needs to be more clearly distinguished.

I've yet to hear a solid reason beyond 'it is pompous.' Vox Populi isn't self-aggrandizing (i.e. Civ 5: 1337 SCRUBWRECKER EDITION), it isn't easily mixed up with the CP or the overall name of the project, and it isn't misleading (the CBP is a community-driven expansion. Vox Populi is 'the voice of the people.' How does that not make sense?). I can't help that your education system failed to instill a little bit of Latin in you. :D

G

11. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

Oh, I thought you guys gonna call the whole package Vox Populi.
    Then again, I'm a bit conservative in modding questions, I prefer the Civ IV style "full-mod" approach in some cases.
    For me having a separate CPP and CBP is redundant, and IMO it's probably confusing to new players.
    CP is already there as a base for other modders, but otherwise CBP+C4F4+CSD+ML+etc is the full experience, which I would like to advise to all the players together in a single mod if I were you.

12. Funak

Funak Deity

I've already given you like 10 different reasons why a Latin name is a bad idea, while your best reason for it have been "it fits", which is a terrible reason considering on some level every suggestions in this thread fits.

I know exactly what it means, but considering multiple people in the thread have never heard of it, and I've never actually heard it used in a sentence ever, it probably isn't as well known outside of Murica or possibly the UK, which fits very well with the whole 'Pompous' thing, come to think about it.

Also I find it hilarious to hear someone from the US bashing outside education-systems, especially for not teaching us a dead useless language.

Also finding this pretty strange, if anything it would be CPP(the project) that should get a name-change, the different parts of the mod really doesn't need fancy names, just something along the line of "Base Patch"(for CP) and "Overhaul patch"(for CBP)

13. Gazebo

The problem is that, from the outside looking in, the CBP is mis-named (and I agree with this). While it does rebalance the game, the implication of a 'balance patch' is that it is a light-touch, which the CBP most certainly is not. :)

G

14. Gazebo

Nothing intrinsically pompous about being from the UK or US, unless you've got imperial guilt hanging over you.

Don't forget that I'm a historian by day, Funak. Claiming something is 'dead' and/or 'useless' due to its age is a hilariously ignorant statement, especially if directed at me.

G

15. Wodhann

I think we should call the whole package Vox Populi. It's easier, especially when it comes down to wrapping up the multiplayer package.

So it would be like:

• Vox Populi
    • Community Patch
    • Community Overhaul
    • Integrated Add-Ons

16. Funak

Funak Deity

They are both patches, technically, better to call one of them Base and one of the Overhaul, as you're going to need the Base no matter what.

I still don't like the 'Community' in the names and would prefer 'Base Patch' and 'Overhaul Patch' but if it has to stay, at least do something like this:

Community Base
    Community Overhaul

17. Enrico Swagolo

Enrico Swagolo Deity

I agree, the whole package should be called that to make it clear what is what. Installing "Vox Populi" balance patch of CPP may be misleading as to what it does which won't be an issue if everyone knows Vox Populi is the name of the entire modpack, whereas the others (community patch, overhaul, csd whatever) are variants.

18. Gazebo

Maaaaaybe. I'll think about it. I don't hate it, but it is ever-so-slightly obscure as a name for the overall project, especially since 'Community Patch' is a byword for the CPP right now. I blame myself for all of this – I honestly didn't think that the project would get as much traction as it currently has. :)

G

19. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

• Vox Populi
      1. Community Patch
      2. Enhancement Pack

20. merill

merill Prince

• Vox Populi
      1. Community Patch
      2. Maximus Melius
    :D