A New Name

Sorry, Funak, but there's nothing pompous about what is - quite possibly - the most well-known Latin phrase. If we were using something obscure that would be one thing, but Vox Populi is hardly obscure (I should also note the irony of claiming that the phrase Vox Populi, one of the earliest expressions of democratic will, is elitist, but I digress).

But why Latin? Can anyone give me a good reason why you want to use Latin other than that you think it sounds cool?

Is the mod specifically about the Latin language?
Is the mod specifically about the area around the Mediterranean sea during the period where it was ruled by Rome (But even then I guess Greek was just a well-used)?
Is the mod specifically written in Latin or is the in-game text in Latin?
Is it because the majority of the users speak Latin or identify themselves as Latins?

But why Latin? Can anyone give me a good reason why you want to use Latin other than that you think it sounds cool?

Is the mod specifically about the Latin language?
Is the mod specifically about the area around the Mediterranean sea during the period where it was ruled by Rome (But even then I guess Greek was just a well-used)?
Is the mod specifically written in Latin or is the in-game text in Latin?
Is it because the majority of the users speak Latin or identify themselves as Latins?

Because 'Voice of the people' is a well know phrase that comes from a classical empire in an old language that it's still recognizable. And because nobody here knows anything of Chinese (which may be the other great classical empire that kept its language and no, Greece wasn't an empire, Alexander just took Persian empire).

Greece wasn't an empire, Alexander just took Persian empire).

It's not about being an Empire, Greek was spoken heavily in Rome(alongside Latin), and even before that it was spread by Alexander and pretty much became the language of trade and commerce, science and poetry. It was spoken as the main language in Byzantium, which is pretty much what Rome turned into.

But why male models?

In all seriousness, no, it isn't because 'it sounds cool,' but rather because it captures the essence of the CBP in a phrase that has cultural weight as well as linguistic simplicity. 'Voice of the People' is a clunky, inelegant variant of Vox Populi.

Besides, Latin makes perfect sense for the CBP, seeing as we're a satire of the Roman Republic. We're a community-driven mod project with open membership (so long as you aren't a filthy barbarian), we have farcical voting procedures on mundane things like 'our name' (the senate), meanwhile the empire is actually managed by a cadre of unelected authority figures with dictatorial ambitions (myself, ilteroi, etc.). W. Howard serves as both Romulus and Remus, naturally. Also we have sub-sub-forums (provinces) that are largely ignored by the central subforum (Rome), and the people's forum (the bug reports thread) is full of peasants who complain about rampant sanitation and housing issues (bugs) that I can ignore while chilling in my beautiful Roman villa. Also also, some people refer to me as the pope in other circles, which is a nice narrative link between the republic, the empire, and medieval Rome. JFD could probably be squeezed in there somewhere as a Julius Caesar-esque figure: enough power to topple us from his Gallic province if he wanted to, but he's slightly dependent on Rome for his power (i.e. the DLL), thus he is loyal...until he picks up C++ on his own. And so on.

See, it is perfect, flawless analogy! :king:

I think I need more coffee. Or less.

Also, I don't want to alarm anyone, but we're under 300 messages from dethroning Communitas in the Projects subforum as the biggest subforum. A moment of silence is needed, I think.

G

But why male models?

In all seriousness, no, it isn't because 'it sounds cool,' but rather because it captures the essence of the CBP in a phrase that has cultural weight as well as linguistic simplicity. 'Voice of the People' is a clunky, inelegant variant of Vox Populi.

Besides, Latin makes perfect sense for the CBP, seeing as we're a satire of the Roman Republic. We're a community-driven mod project with open membership (so long as you aren't a filthy barbarian), we have farcical voting procedures on mundane things like 'our name' (the senate), meanwhile the empire is actually managed by a cadre of unelected authority figures with dictatorial ambitions (myself, ilteroi, etc.). W. Howard serves as both Romulus and Remus, naturally. Also we have sub-sub-forums (provinces) that are largely ignored by the central subforum (Rome), and the people's forum (the bug reports thread) is full of peasants who complain about rampant sanitation and housing issues (bugs) that I can ignore while chilling in my beautiful Roman villa. Also also, some people refer to me as the pope in other circles, which is a nice narrative link between the republic, the empire, and medieval Rome. JFD could probably be squeezed in there somewhere as a Julius Caesar-esque figure: enough power to topple us from his Gallic province if he wanted to, but he's slightly dependent on Rome for his power (i.e. the DLL), thus he is loyal...until he picks up C++ on his own. And so on.

I can understand that this was meant as a joke, but that just really enforces my point that no one can seem to muster a good reason.

Also, I don't want to alarm anyone, but we're under 300 messages from dethroning Communitas in the Projects subforum as the biggest subforum. A moment of silence is needed, I think.
Actually thought we had already passed it, but then again it was around for a lot longer than CPP have been. I really need to pay more attention to post-counts I guess.
That being said I must have dumped over 6k posts on this subforum, wow.

Latin is a foundational, more universal language that doesn't need translation.

Also, "vox populi" is a term that already exists, made specifically to refer to the "will of the people". In that sense it fits this mod, as it was created to attend to the concerns and desires about game design in regards to vanilla civ.

Also also, some people refer to me as the pope in other circles, which is a nice narrative link between the republic, the empire, and medieval Rome. JFD could probably be squeezed in there somewhere as a Julius Caesar-esque figure: enough power to topple us from his Gallic province if he wanted to, but he's slightly dependent on Rome for his power (i.e. the DLL), thus he is loyal...until he picks up C++ on his own.

*Loyal JFD citizen crawling out from the woods*

His Modjesty will prevail !!! :rockon:

*Running away in terror fearing the Pope's might*

But why male models?

G

Beware of the Ides of April!
Btw, I was originally opposing Vox Populi, but it kinda grew on me after a couple days :)
My vote also goes for that

For the first time ever I am agreement with Funak! Avoid the Vox! It may be a well-known phrase in the USA but it is certainly not in Ireland; I'm a long time CIV player, an archaeologist and well educated but I have no idea what it means. I'm guessing 'popular voice'?

My lastest idea: CiV V: FOREVER. ??? Better than Vox Populi certainly.

For the first time ever I am agreement with Funak! Avoid the Vox! It may be a well-known phrase in the USA but it is certainly not in Ireland; I'm a long time CIV player, an archaeologist and well educated but I have no idea what it means. I'm guessing 'popular voice'?

My lastest idea: CiV V: FOREVER. ??? Better than Vox Populi certainly.

Your ignorance is understandable – Ireland was never conquered by Rome. :)

G

You might be onto something, I know what the phrase means, but I've never actually heard anyone say it, ever. I mean I don't even think I know how it is pronounced come to think about it.
It might be a lot more obvious in the US and maybe Latin sounds a lot less pompous over there.

Actually scratch that, I'm pretty sure that V character in V for Vendetta mentions it somewhere in one of his speeches, so I probably know how it is pronounced.

Here is my suggestion;

Civ V: The Last Turn (Patch)
Nice one! Welcome to the forums!
Or is it Funak in disguise trying to draw attention away from Civ V: patchus maximus?

Nice one! Welcome to the forums!
Or is it Funak in disguise trying to draw attention away from Civ V: patchus maximus?

Why would I post under a false name, ever? I'm certainly not afraid of anyone judging me based on my opinions, and I've made that very clear at many points already. Also why would I suggest name I've previously bashed in the thread.

I know that you love going after me constantly for no good reason at all, and I really don't care about it, but could you try to keep the newbies out of it, it is really not fair to them.

Top Bottom