A New Name

I liked previous proposition of Gazebo

[*]Vox Populi
  1. Community Patch
  2. Civ 5: 1337 SCRUBWRECKER EDITION UNLIMITED POWER

Personnaliy, i have no problems with a latin name, because, as a non english native speaker (french, more precisely), an english name already feel pretentious (because of adds which use english names), so a latin name doesn't change anything...
"Vox popoli" is not well known expression for me, even if I have no problems at all understanding it.
I'm Ok with "Vox populi", even if for me, if we really want a latin name, " in nomine populi" sound better (and possibly not correct, but I don't talk latin, so it sound good to me)

If "community" is a problem, does "civfanatics" is better, or just "fanatics" ?

If I may chime in about the whole "Latin is dead so don't use it." thing?
Languages are only 'dead' if they are not used by a populace in a general manner. The words themselves though may be found in other 'living' languages.
English is a mongrel language that is formed by many other base languages, including Latin, and those words are so commonplace now that their origins are not questioned.
Civilisation, the word, ultimately derives from Latin so the argument against using Latin would naturally preclude using that also.

Pronunciation/spelling issues are not a big concern either. Many proper names are often abstractions of existing words and no-one has issue with them if they are used. It's already been shown that search engines are very good in finding what the correct term should be.
Google itself is an example of a very common, yet misleading, word. The mathematicians among us will readily be aware of the term: googol. ie. 10 to the power of 100
'Googol' was coined in 1920 and thus has a much longer history than 'Google' yet no-one considers that as an abomination of language.
All languages are fluid ever-evolving things and placing arbitrary restrictions on the usage of words based on their origins is frankly absurd.

Vox Populi fits and is easy to remember. Though not my choice, I see no valid reason to NOT use it, based on what has been posted.

I'm surprised about the amount of people who don't know the proverb "vox populi, vox dei" ("the voice of the people is the voice of god"). It dates back centuries and is still used in latin-based languages of today.

I have a personal dislike for Vox Populi as I always saw it used for referring to a "secret" that is known to everyone, kinda like a widespread gossip, one that became "vox populi", or voiced by everyone. But I know it's just me and a particular usage in my country.

I have a personal dislike for Vox Populi as I always saw it used for referring to a "secret" that is known to everyone, kinda like a widespread gossip, one that became "vox populi", or voiced by everyone. But I know it's just me and a particular usage in my country.

It's main use is to express the will of the people.

I don't get the hatred for the term "Community." According to my dictionary, the first definition is "a body of people living in the same place under a the same laws." Are we not a body of people "living" on the internet under the "laws" of this forum . . . wait a minute. Oh no! "Forum" is a Latin word! Now what do we do? The Civfanatics Forum sounds too pretentious!

I don't get the hatred for the term "Community." According to my dictionary, the first definition is "a body of people living in the same place under a the same laws."
Again, the problem is that there is a huge difference between A Community and THE Community, the community patch project sounds as if the entire civ5 community, or the entire civ5 modding community is involved, and by extension that people who aren't involved are excommunicated from the community.

Oh no! "Forum" is a Latin word! Now what do we do? The Civfanatics Forum sounds too pretentious!
If the Civfanatics website called their message-board Forum, and every other message-board on the internet didn't then yes it would sound pretentious as all hell.
The word is probably even considered part of the English language considering the plural form Forums is used instead of the real correct Latin plural Fora

You still haven't given a good reason as to why latin is "pretentious". You just decided that it's pretentious and that's it.

Could you please stop lying? I have not said that Latin is pretentious, I've said it SOUNDS pretentious, huge difference.

Don't forget that I'm a historian by day, Funak. Claiming something is 'dead' and/or 'useless' due to its age is a hilariously ignorant statement, especially if directed at me.
Latin is a dead language, it has absolutely nothing to do with age, it has everything to do with the fact that the language is dead.

The useless part is an opinion (also based on the fact that the language is dead, not on its age) however, and you're absolutely welcome to not agree with it.

Nothing intrinsically pompous about being from the UK or US, unless you've got imperial guilt hanging over you.

Spoken in the truest manner of Perfidious Albion. :lol:

The Catholic Pope would disagree.

Also my word processor, every time I go to create a new template. Lorem Ipsum forever!

Well, the definition of the term dead language seems to disagree with both the pope and with your processor.

Dead Language:

"A language which is no longer in everyday spoken use, such as Latin."

"A ​language that is no ​longer ​spoken by anyone as ​their ​main ​language:
​Latin is a ​dead ​language."

"A language, such as Latin, that is no longer learned as a native language by a speech community."

"Languages that are no longer spoken.

Note : Some dead languages, such as Latin, ancient Greek, and Sanskrit, may nevertheless be studied by large numbers of people because of their literary or historical importance."

"In linguistics, language death (also language extinction, linguistic extinction or linguicide,[1] and rarely also glottophagy[2]) occurs when a language loses its last native speaker."

Well, the definition of the term dead language seems to disagree with both the pope and with your processor.

Dead Language:

"A language which is no longer in everyday spoken use, such as Latin."

"A ​language that is no ​longer ​spoken by anyone as ​their ​main ​language:
​Latin is a ​dead ​language."

"A language, such as Latin, that is no longer learned as a native language by a speech community."

"Languages that are no longer spoken.

Note : Some dead languages, such as Latin, ancient Greek, and Sanskrit, may nevertheless be studied by large numbers of people because of their literary or historical importance."

"In linguistics, language death (also language extinction, linguistic extinction or linguicide,[1] and rarely also glottophagy[2]) occurs when a language loses its last native speaker."

I have but one question for you: so what?

G

I have but one question for you: so what?

Nothing really, I guess I'm just wondering why me calling Latin is a dead language is a "hilariously ignorant statement, especially if directed at me".

Nothing really, I guess I'm just wondering why me calling Latin is a dead language is a "hilariously ignorant statement, especially if directed at me".

"Dead [and therefore] useless" is the key point that I contend with. Besides, the language may not be spoken, and is therefore no longer an evolving or 'living' language, but that does not mean that its children (i.e. non-Germanic western languages) cannot benefit from ol' grampy Latin.

Anyways, this has all gotten out of hand. Scrubwrecker it is.

G

"It's dead. It has ceased to be. If it wasn't nailed to the perch it'd be pushing up the daisies"

Civ5: The Dead Parrot Project

:p

"Dead [and therefore] useless" is the key point that I contend with.

Okay, you're free to change your mind, but that is not what you said. What you said was "Claiming something is 'dead' and/or 'useless' due to its age is a hilariously ignorant statement, especially if directed at me".

Anyways, to me Vox Populi sounds about as silly as Scrubwrecker, with Scrubwrecker having the added benefit of being easier to pronounce and spell. Just putting that out there.

Top Bottom