A New Name

Because this mod is really simple :crazyeye:

Besides, Vox populi is a wink to the redesigned diplomatic victory (for me, the most radical change), though it refers to the way the mod is designed.

The mod is pretty straightforward, which is completely obfuscated with a latin name. This is not your typical overhaul that makes the game into something completely other; this is more of the Civ5 you love but everything is done better and balanced. Having a name referencing any small part of the mod is misleading and having a name most people can't even understand (or have to think twice about) is bound to be misleading.

Eh, I think you guys are underestimating the people. Latin sounds cool at the very least, and I can remember several mods with weird or Latin names, like in case of Skyrim's Perkus Maximus, Requiem (English word but let's be honest - how many people even know what that means?), M2TW Deus lo Vult, Europa Barbarorum, some other M2TW mods, Communitas is not an English word either.

Neutral, boring names would make it harder for people to find the mod.

do not use Latin, seriously..

we want ppl to google the mod, something that's simple and sticks in their minds, and they can remember from hearing on a stream and type in google

not some phrase that they have to google first

Eh, I think you guys are underestimating the people. Latin sounds cool at the very least, and I can remember several mods with weird or Latin names, like in case of Skyrim's Perkus Maximus, Requiem (English word but let's be honest - how many people even know what that means?), M2TW Deus lo Vult, Europa Barbarorum, some other M2TW mods, Communitas is not an English word either.

Neutral, boring names would make it harder for people to find the mod.

Did the vibe of a Latin name accurately reflect the product provided? You've listed several mods that sound like they make the game more flavorfully archaic. Deus Vult clearly suggests religion (which latin is already associated with), Europa Barbarorum suggests Roman times (which latin is already associated with), I have no idea what Perkus Maximus is about so I would probably skip it if I weren't looking for Skyrim mods that make the game less fantastic, and so on.

Communitas is so very similar to its English equivalent of Community that I don't think the Latin confuses anyone OR lends to its theme. Its just better than using the bland word "Community", which is why we're having this discussion.

do not use Latin, seriously..

we want ppl to google the mod, something that's simple and sticks in their minds, and they can remember from hearing on a stream and type in google

not some phrase that they have to google first

I agree. Latin is an awful idea.

if we want new people for this i think civ 5: eletric boogaloo is a great name for it, or maybe "the bestest mod of the universe".

jokes aside, vox populis sounds good but it gives the impression that it is some sort of civilian or citizen focused mod which cbp is not.

Did the vibe of a Latin name accurately reflect the product provided? You've listed several mods that sound like they make the game more flavorfully archaic. Deus Vult clearly suggests religion (which latin is already associated with), Europa Barbarorum suggests Roman times (which latin is already associated with), I have no idea what Perkus Maximus is about so I would probably skip it if I weren't looking for Skyrim mods that make the game less fantastic, and so on.

Communitas is so very similar to its English equivalent of Community that I don't think the Latin confuses anyone OR lends to its theme. Its just better than using the bland word "Community", which is why we're having this discussion.

Let's just say the Skyrim community doesn't agree with you - from what I see, Perkus Maximus is the most popular perk overhaul mod, or at the very least it has the most endorsements/downloads.

Deus Vult barely does anything religion-wise, it's a full game rehaul that makes it more complicated. I preferred Stainless Steel myself.

Communitas is very similar but still not much more different than vox is compared to voice.

But whatever, truth be told I don't really care what the mod is called. My personal recommendation is PLUMS - short for Path of Little Uncle's Mesopotamian Saber. It may not fit but I like plums.

How badly do you imagine people can muck up pronouncing two words?
Doesn't matter if someone pronounces any combination of woks/vox po-pu-lee/pop-u-lie,the worst I can see someone doing is typing "voks populee" into google (which gets you "showing results for vox populi")

How badly do you imagine people can muck up pronouncing two words?
Doesn't matter if someone pronounces any combination of woks/vox po-pu-lee/pop-u-lie,the worst I can see someone doing is typing "voks populee" into google (which gets you "showing results for vox populi")

"Oy m8 you heard about this cool Civ 5 mod Vox Populi by Gazebo?"

"Faux populace by Gooseby? Gonna google it right now man"
"Dayumm it ain't into happen"

(I'm still pro vox populi but this is how it'd go with some people... nah I'm kidding, who who knows faux doesn't know vox)

Let's just say the Skyrim community doesn't agree with you - from what I see, Perkus Maximus is the most popular perk overhaul mod, or at the very least it has the most endorsements/downloads.

So it gets carried by its fame?

Also I JUST figured out what its for: it give you new perks to pick from, doesn't it? The Steam Workshop probably provides a whole category for "perks" mods.

Deus Vult barely does anything religion-wise, it's a full game rehaul that makes it more complicated. I preferred Stainless Steel myself.

So its grossly misnamed.

Communitas is very similar but still not much more different than vox is compared to voice.

I know the root and you know the root, but keep in mind that a lot of people don't. Many Civ players speak English as their second language, and their native language may not have any connection to Latin.

This mod will fall under the Steam workshop category of, well, everything, as well as of "overhauls". A descriptive name is in order.

I would have to lean toward always falling back on my ARMY acronyms and the one that comes to mind with this discussion is K.I.S.S. ( Keep It Simple Stupid )!

I like this for the the whole thing:

Civilization V: Complete Overall Project

I think the name for the CP should stay. It feels most like an unofficial patch and like a base that other mods can build on. I'm also one of those people that like to google for the unofficial patch for older games, even often before playing when the game is rumored to have noticeable bugs.

For the CBP with the whole package (More Luxuries, CSD, C4D):
the expansion approach: Civ 5: Globalization (hints both at Corporations and the effort of the community from all over the world)

Edit: another suggestion would be: Civ 5: Definite experience.

So it gets carried by its fame?

Also I JUST figured out what its for: it give you new perks to pick from, doesn't it? The Steam Workshop probably provides a whole category for "perks" mods.

So its grossly misnamed.

I know the root and you know the root, but keep in mind that a lot of people don't. Many Civ players speak English as their second language, and their native language may not have any connection to Latin.

This mod will fall under the Steam workshop category of, well, everything, as well as of "overhauls". A descriptive name is in order.

Just to balance the scales, have to agree with everything that's been said against Latin titles/Vox Populi. If may seem petty, but a lot people don't want to feel like they have to learn something to play/understand a mod - hence, a lot of people don't RTFM. Vox Populi is common, but that might be a Western bias talking. It's also a really horrible phrase, but that's just me :p

The appeal (for anyone but modders not apart of it :p) of the CBP is the implication that it is a community-approved balancing of the game. So anyone that considered CivFanatics an authority would automatically consider the CBP an authority on balance. If you want to keep your wide appeal, the Community part should stick.

The appeal (for anyone but modders not apart of it :p) of the CBP is the implication that it is a community-approved balancing of the game. So anyone that considered CivFanatics an authority would automatically consider the CBP an authority on balance. If you want to keep your wide appeal, the Community part should stick.

Sure, but it is also misleading in that exact same way.

You don't have a proper name lying around, do you? Your mods are usually fairly well named.

...a lot people don't want to feel like they have to learn something to play/understand a mod - hence, a lot of people don't RTFM.

The appeal ... of the CBP is the implication that it is a community-approved balancing of the game... If you want to keep your wide appeal, the Community part should stick.

These are critically important points.

If you're just looking for a Vanilla Enhancement and Rebalance, which is what this mod is, then you may not be the type to read through the entire description of every mod. What you're looking for is the most widely approved mod that stays true to the core game design, and the name needs to reflect that.

Civ V: It wasn't good enough before

Civ V: We already made a better VI

Civ V: MOAR!

I second JFD that people often do not RTFM. Or if they do, if the description of the mechanics introduced by a mod is more complex than "Eat Dirt: Grow City", they take a pass and move on to something else.

Any name that is not instantly comprehensible by the potential user and which does not describe what the mod is/does, is a failed mod-name.

Personally I think there is nothing wrong with the existing name of Community Balance Patch as compared against any of the suggested new names. I think the problems are in the confusions between the Community Balance Patch, the Community Patch dll, and the overall umbrella nomenclature of "balance project", or whatever it is exactly. I would suggest a hard think on whether the problems in the names used is not the similarity of names between the full CBP and the DLL-only mod.

I also think it is a mistake to use the word "Vanilla" in any of the naming. People too much specifically interpret "Vanilla" as being the original game without expansions, and any mod that refers to "Vanilla" as being specifically for the original game sans expansions. So you'll get people thinking they cannot use it because they have BNW, or you will get 9000 comments asking if it works for any of the two expansions to the vanilla game.

I would also vote not to use a latinate name, because I think in Civ5 it will be too likely to be interpretted as being kinda like Rob's Anno Domini, all the Skyrim mod-name discussions notwithstanding. If the name makes people work too hard to figure out what the mod is, they will never know what the mod is because they will never download or use it.

Top Bottom