A Tale from the Far East

mabelair

Chieftain
It is Four Thousand BC. After many years of organization, politicking and sometimes coercion, I have finally managed to convince my tribe to settle down and establish ourselves; to work together for our common good. My name is Qin Shu Huang, and I have been named leader of our tribe, we who call ourselves the Chinese, our nation to be known as China. We are industrious people, with a great focus on finance. We are well versed in agriculture and the extraction of precious minerals from the soil.

Despite everything, we find ourselves in a pleasing situation. The coast of a great ocean lies before us, fish and clams, a stable in our tribal society, plentiful and available. The forests behind us beckon, promising riches and adventure. A small tribe to the west of us, former friends of ours in a previous era, seems promising too. We are all full of enthusiasm and joy at the prospect of our future.

It is on that spot, next to the Great River, on the coast of the Great Ocean that we found our first city, Beijing.

Immediately, I order the townspeople to train a group of warriors who will help protect our city in times of need. Our city grows quickly as the surplus of food has left our men and women more capable of producing our future.

Fourty years later, our intrepid warriors march into the tribal village of our neighbours to the west. Our neighbors welcome our warriors into their town and teach them the ways of combat.

Our warriors continue their exploring of our lands and stumble upon a field of rice. This will prove useful in our future expansion.

One early spring day in the year 2760 BC, our brave warriors return to Beijing with astonishing news. We find ourselves on a small island, capable of supporting the core of our empire. Riches of clams and fish have been spotted all along the borders along with great animals called Horses to the north and a delicioius grain, rice, to the east and west. I dismiss the warriors to meet with the Garrison Commander to assign them to their new duties: Protect the city. I turn to my council and we decide on a great plan. We must found more cities on our island and work towards building great ships which will allow us to explore the waters surrounding our island. We must dedicate ourselves to the pursuit of excellence in everything. We must expand our empire to better it.

In 2560 BC, our people organize into a group of workers, who will till the soil and dedicate themselves to the development of the land around our cities. They immediately begin construction of a mine on the hillside to the west. It is our intent to be an industrious city and we require access to the stone and metals needed for our production.

(cont)

In 1560 BC, the council of Wisemen approach me, an air of importance and priority among them. They are all, despite their age, abuzz with excitement. The wisest among them, Wu, approaches me, holding on a pillow a text. "Your eminence. We have some important news to discuss." He quickly relates to me a tale of a vision that was had by a townsperson. The townsperson, seeminly unaware of their condition, began prophesizing about the virtues and history of a people.

"We wrote it all down, your Eminence," explained Wu. "We have called it the Tor'ah, and it is a good thing. We have come to you to explain it, and encourage you to follow it."

After many long hours in conversation and study with the Wisemen, it is decided that all Chinese people should follow this new religion, named Judaism. It is quickly adopted in Beijing.

Around the same time, our second city, Shanghai, was founded on the northern tip of the island, in order to be near the Great Herd of Horses. Soon after, our industrious people have connected our two cities together by a great road and the horses are tamed for our use. Our council of wisemen is promising that in the future, we shall be able to mount "archers", a new unit very near in our future, as well as great masters of the sword, "Knights" far off into the future.

In 180 BC, I order my people to settle on a newly discovered island to the North, near the city of Shanghai. This new city is named Nanjing and they set themselves to establishing their own city garisson right away.

Shortly after the establishment of Nanjing, in 160 BC, we encounter the borders of a land claimed to be owned by one, "Saladin", leader of the "great" Arabian empire. We establish a cautious peace with him, not wishing to interfere, and continue the exploration of our new Island.

In 20 AD, our Western expedition encounters the Japanese people and their city, Tokyo. Again, we establish peace, but leave it at that as we are not yet ready to engage in any for of diplomacy. We repeat the same procedure with the Romans, who are on a North-Western island.

In the year 140, our council of Wisemen declare that we have entered the classical era, with the development of ironworking as a skill. I declare a day of great celebration in all our cities.

In the year 180, our settlers decide to establish another city, this time to the east, near where a rice field was spotted. This city is named Xian and it is our newest.

Our explorers have gone a long way in exploring the seas. We work towards bigger and better ships that will allow us to cross the unforgiving oceans. For now, we must content ourselves with exploring coastlines where we can. This is our map as we know it.

To be continued...

This is my first attempt at a "tale". I love storytelling and I thought this would be a good opportunity to hone my skills a little. I'm ALWAYS open to contructive criticism. I had actually written myself down more notes while playing but forgot them at home, so I had to use my memory. Bah!

A few details on the game, I'm playing on a Large map, at Noble level (my first attempt at doing so), obviously playing the Chinese, on archipelagos (as you may already have noticed).

Anyway, I work full time and am also a part time student on top of that, so my play time is limited. Expect updates only periodically, spanning only a couple of years.

Thanks for reading,

MAB

I like this, Archipelagos are good. :goodjob:
Large Map? Hope it wont be too laggy as the game progresses, My computer is slowing down at Standard. But do keep this up, when you have time. :)

Maxa said:
I like this, Archipelagos are good. :goodjob:
Large Map? Hope it wont be too laggy as the game progresses, My computer is slowing down at Standard.

I haven't had any problems with the large map yet in the two games that I've played. It can get a little bit pokey by the time the whole map is revealed, but no problems so far. :)

MAB

Good story, I like it. Your story ist the first one, starting on a archipelagos map :) Good luck for future.
Do you have already discovered bronze working? As you have a lot of wood, you can chop a forest to speed up a building, a unit ...

Yes, I agree with Dimy that getting great people early is extremely crucial, other than that it looks good, if you manage to secure that whole island that nanking is on, you should be in great shape land-wise

Looks like you have a good situation there. I look forward to following the history of the Chinese people!

Well, since I didn't have my notebook with me at work when I posted the story, here are a few important dates that I neglected to chronicle:

920BC: I have just recently been informed that all three of our cities are connected by roads. This is an important step in the development of our great nation, as it allows our cities to share resources. Guangzhou's architects have proposed that we construct a great monument to Religion, the Stonehenge. I immediately proclaimed that its construction begin immediately.

520 BC: Our attempt at building the great Stonehenge was aborted today when a messenger from a distant land arrived proclaiming its construction in a far off land. This both saddens and angers me. I sent Beijing's architects off with the Wise Men to concieve of a new plan. Meanwhile, in Beijing, the plans to construct our temple to Science, "The Oracle" were finally realized with the completion of the inner sanctum. We are greatly pleased with its realization and have proclaimed today as a day of rejoicing amongst our peoples.

320 BC: The wild horse herds of the North have finally been conquered. They have arrived in all our cities, much to the wide eyed wonder of our people and the amusement of our young. We have many a great plan for these horses.

-=-=-=-

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll go play a few turns and hopefully post another update sometime tomorrow during the day!

Thank you all for your play suggestions. I shall relay them to the Great Leader and we'll see what he does with them. :)

MAB

You're lucky. I played through several years this evening and have uploaded my images to my server to be processed at some point tomorrow. I had to go ahead and reduce the image quality of all the photos as I ate up 350MB bandwidth today alone. All the images are now half to one third the size they were before, so that should help significantly. I have 25 new photos to showcase with several new entries, so hold on to your boots!

MAB

Nice work so far. Perhapse should you try to conquer Tokyo as that island is in the perfect position for an attack on your home island, the same is form the southern tip of the roman island, although you can build here a city and you don't have to declare war for it. Keep on posting I love it to read tis kind of stories.

Just a quick question, does the mini map look cover more area as you find out about more stuff?
se the red lines are under the same city. notice the difference?

Top Bottom