AA03: DeGaulle's Aggressive Adventures

damn! is that the new BUG screen?? sweet!!
Hmm yeah, that military advisor seriously rocks!! But can somebody explain what those little icons in the middle (in the main screen) mean? The first few I could figure out (how to place the unit icons of a stack) but then... :crazyeye:

forgot mother's day here in the states. this one will be a tad bit late ~ but sometiem on sunday night dst
Not only over there in the states... At least the weather's nice today :p

@mystyfly:

That's the PLE Mod. The Help File is attached, but will be integrated into the BUG Help only later...

Thanks!

BTW what did HE do to the GP + GG bars? The GP bar is somehow bugged, it shows cities that produce no GPP or those that produce GPP soo slowly that they never generate a GP but not the city producing a GP next :confused: I also preferred the GG bar as it was before. How can I change it back?

(hey I know it's offtopic (don't shoot me :D) but here is very little discussion anyway, so why not a little bit of threadjacking :D :hide:)

It seems to me that --
whoah! new BUG mod gives a list of techs the AI will trade!

anyway ~ it seems to me that there are two kinds of reports. the turn-by-turn report-while-you-play approach, complete with your thought processes as you play the game.

Or, there is the "summary" report, basically listing the overall results of the turns.
It seems to me that each kind has a unique niche to fill. The summary one works fine if one is merely teching away or trying to reach some milestone before a decidion point, while the turnbyturn one works well when you have NO idea what you're doing.

I'm going with the latter here :D

First I started MMing. We were working an undeveloped grass at Paris, fix that to a plains cottage. I also MMed Orleans to go with more hammers. i'm also not sure why are not running sicentets in lyons. Two scientists later, and machinery is down by 1 turn to 8. i'm going to whip that courthouse in rheims, and am heavily thinking of doing it to Lyons, too (I ended up doing that, too). Tours, our tiny city by the bay, is about to expand borders next turn. We'll have that iron finally.

So . . . what? i think the plan is to head for JC real soon, with maces and cats/trebs? okay. Let’s roll.

Turn 246/750 (1010 AD) [10-May-2008 11:38:18]
Marseilles: Granary > Worker (13 turns)

Turn 247/750 (1020 AD) [10-May-2008 11:39:48]
Our iron came on line this turn:

Orleans: Spearman > Swordsman (3 turns) This city, along with Paris, cranked out units the whole set, getting an army ready for war.

Turn 251/750 (1060 AD) [10-May-2008 11:42:42]
We are not large, but puny:

I also whipped the courthouse in Lyons, next up Buddhist Monastery (23 turns)

Turn 253/750 (1080 AD) [10-May-2008 11:43:48]

Research: Machinery > Civil Service (24 Turns)

Turn 255/750 (1100 AD) [10-May-2008 11:45:37]
An AP vote comes up:

I took yes, and it passed next turn with only Hammurabi voting no. I wonder, could we go for a diplo win here w/the UN?? A few people at pleased, one at Friendly. ‘Course, it’ll all change if they lose their religion.

Marseilles: Worker > Library (135 turns) I thought we needed another worker or two to better our empire, and to act as combat engineers in the coming war, connecting our new lands to the old for reinforcements.

I also noticed this oddity:

Look at the enemy unit name ~ how does that happen?

Here’s a picture of Rome a few turns later:

Lots of praets and cats, but little else . . . just maybe . . .

Turn 259/750 (1140 AD) [10-May-2008 11:49:30]
Whipped in Rheims, too. Rheims: Courthouse > Library (27 turns)

Turn 262/750 (1170 AD) [10-May-2008 11:51:46]
The war btwn Brennus and HC ends with HC capitulating to him.

Lyons: Buddhist Monastery > Buddhist Temple (20 turns) I did this for more science, more happies, and Buddhist bldgs also give +2 hammers remember!

We hit 2 million people in 1210:

Turn 267/750 (1220 AD) [10-May-2008 11:55:26]
Tours: Courthouse > Granary (18 turns) To grow faster. This city, once fully mined and fished, will be a nice production powerhouse.

Turn 269/750 (1240 AD) [10-May-2008 11:57:05]
First off, HC tries to win it:

I abstained. We also got another Great Spy: Allan Pinkerton was born in Paris:

I swapped Tours to a Work Boat before the granary to grow a bit faster there, (5 turns) with maximized hammers, and it’ll need to be reconfigured after the WB for growth again.

Our army looks into the heart of the Roman empire:

The plan:

I think we should go ahead, declare on Rome, take Arretium first, go for a Golden Age for a wartime boost (or Spy bomb, maybe?), and move in on Rome. We are in desperate need for commerce cities, as we're flush with production ones now.

I disagree that we are screwed, but think our screwing window is quickly closing where if we don't do *something* to try to win this game, we'll lose by default. Let's split the Roman empire in half, raze Arretium, keep Cumae (i guess?), and keep Rome. Antium will be nice for some commerce. In order to not be screwed, we need to declare this set, imo.

Roster:
beserks01
Imhotep
pholkhero >> just played
mystyfly >> UP NOW
negyvenketto >> on deck
GreyFox

Attachments

• AA03 AD-1240.CivBeyondSwordSave
    258.2 KB · Views: 98
:clap: Sounds solid. Looks like I'm gonna have all the fun :hammer:

However by the looks of it I doubt I'll make it even to Cumae - I think I'll take Arretium and fortify there while JC sacrifices his praets. Shock axes pwn praets. After the dust of the initial battles settles, we'll see how far we get.

I think it's too early for a GA. I'd settle the GSpy. BTW we desperately need some GS.

Diplo victory is out I think. We'd need lots of land for that and/or friends. And with our puny size empire and no religious enemy, we'll get heaps of -1 you declared on our friend so it's either backdoor diplo or no diplo.

BTW "got it", playing early tomorrow. Keep your fingers crossend and pray for a nice RNG :bowdown:

@pholk:

It's a random event granting one of your units the Leadership promotion without being attached to a GG. Other than that, good turns :) . Let's whack JC !

Imhotep

Played 7 turns, 1240AD - 1280AD

Well it wasn't that funny. JC is just a beast.
However I managed to capture and hold 2 cities while I only lost one (Tours. C'mon, this city was so doomed)

IHT
I agree with GreyFox, SY > Settling

Knock-knock

Capture Arretium (with a few axes/swords dying IIRC. Stupid turnlog broken :()

(3) 160AD
Tours is under siege

IBT
Tours' defences are bombarded

(4) 1265AD
Capture Antium (2 suicide cats + a few swords died. I suicided swords as we need the axes to survive the counterattacks)

IBT
Tours falls, but our defenders manage to kill 1-3 units I think...

(5) 1270AD
Get a GG. He is on the way to be settled in Orleans.

IBT
Heavy counterattacks at Antium. Nearly every axe is dead now. So are 9520747654387 praets (roughtly :D)

HC is first to Lib and takes DR :crazyeye:

(6) 1275AD
CS in (> poly. We should run 0% for upgrades anyway and if we trade for poly, we'll only get more WFYABTA)

IBT
Again more counterattacks but nearly all are wins for us (as far as I can tell)

(7) 1280AD
I make 2 small counterattacks and clean up 2 very wounded praets. Note: Our XBow now can take Drill-4. :band:

---

We really need to decide what to do now. I decided not to follow ph's plan since Cumae would be hell to take, hill + 40% + walls. JC has some more units near our eastern borders. Once they're killed, we can mop up some small roman cities and take peace.

We definitely need to whip as many maces as possible. Lyons is great for that. But don't whip without any hammers invested. Even with a few hammers, they're still 2pop whips.

Note: we're far behind and can count ourselves lucky there are some more backwards targets. maces vs rifles isn't fun. Mid-term I think we need to keep the warring up and hope Hammurabi breaks free (he is a vassal atm, right) so we can attack him. The ottomans and celts have huge stacks rolling around so I guess (hope) they'll declare soon. Too bad we have a religious lovefest. Stupid Asoka died too early :D

Twp pics of what we see of the roman army at our borders

Our defenses at Antium

I think we're doing fine considering what we're facing. JC's praet army was huge. Now we can tear them apart with our shiny maces.

We should trade CS around. Those AIs that don't have it yet will have it soon anyway (I think Mehmed and Hammurabi lack it only).

Once again we're short of production. We desperately need spies. We should pick 2 leaders and focus our EPs only on them while we steal cheap techs from the others.

Waiting for discussion on how to proceed. The discussions we had so far weren't overwhelming.

I'm also very sorry I can't offer you the Battle stats, I forgot that and can't check in the turn log. Who used a bugged version of BUG and which? Shouldn't we be able to access the log if we use this version?

Good luck, negy !!

View attachment AA03 AD-1280.CivBeyondSwordSave

one would think that it should matter what BUG you have, there shouldn't be any problems with the game log anymore! I'll PM ruff.

and wow ~ these are the Agg AI stacks I'm used to seeing, and what we haven't seen the past couple of games. I can't say that we got the better of the traded cities as we can't really use Antium b/c of the culture.

Are we really sure we can survive any sort of counter-attack, and whether or not we can survive heavily-whipping our cities?? This might work in concert with a spy strategy as we won't have much commerce ability from whipping.

I'll take a look at the save later today, but it looks like we're in a precarious situation here now.

Roster:
beserks01
Imhotep
pholkhero
mystyfly >> just played
negyvenketto >> UP NOW
GreyFox >> on deck

We have the EPs so a little break to build spies might be a good idea. OTOH we really should launch now a final blow. JC has had a couple of stacks with 20+ praets 5+ HA 10+ cats. Probabely a third or half of these are still alive but will be killed more easily with maces.

RE BUG: i believe you can only open the turnlog with the version tha destroyed it for non-BUG users. At least when I opened it with the most recent one, it crashed.

I'm doubtful that we will hold given the stacks we see here, but now that we are at war we can do nothing but grind our way in turtle mode. I don't see us going on the offensive anytime soon. So our pasth will look like this: Try to hold as best as we can while whipping out a Mace Army...

"We are short on..." is a common phrase in this SG it seems. This start left us short on everything except advanced enemies...

Imhotep

negyvenketto said:
We can trade CS for Feudalism and can whip longbows, too.
Yep, Mehmed offered this trade once. But don't we want xbows? BTW we faced about double the units we're facing now wile losing ~10axes 10swords. Orleans can soon build shockmaces out of the gate. Lyons can whip all 2-4 turns.

I think holding antium is quite possible. This drill4 xbow easily kills anything that attacks most likely without a scratch. Let the praets come I say, and attack the stack while they bombard. BTW the AI seems to be definitely more clever using promos: Most stack has 2 shock praets and the rest is promoted the cr line. Nothing that should bring joy to us but it shows again that building XBows has its appeal. When we attack with them, the shock praets should be defending (because they have c1) and our maces can rip off the CR praets.

We definitely are short on cats btw :lol:

I think we should hold off any more we're screwed until later, when there's some more warring done.

spies might help out the lack of cat problem, and we can get by w/only a few.

I say we turtle up, but merely build-up for the next war. Xbows and Maces will do wonders on praets. Maybe once we have all of Rome, we'll have some sort of base to tech well enough to catch up . .. maybe. we're going to need it b/c the others are heading towards runaway status.

i DON'T think we should trade away CS just yet. I just don't want it in the hands of Rome as yet.

Rome and Babylon are the only ones lacking CS. JC has lots of other trading partners.

I think we cannot hope to catch up without rome's empire. However that will take time, beeline the internet maybe? :lol:
Or just go cultural :hide:

beeline the internet maybe? :lol:
:rotfl:
Unfortunately, this game is not that funny.

Traded CS to Mehmed and Hammy for 4 techs. But don't worry Pholk, JC don't have anything to trade for it, that's why he hasn't got it, yet. He currently going for Engineering, by the way.

I also did some incese, silver trades for gpt.

It took 5 turns for Rome to take back Antium. I did't have the chance to send reinforcement there. Arretium is lost, too.
We got another GG, settled in Paris.

Only the AP vote saved us, but I guess it's just temporary.
If not, we can run science/spy slider@80% with -1gpt.

Sorry for the bad news.
Good luck, Fox.

Spoiler :
Logging by BUG Mod 2.30 [Build 742] (BtS 3.13)
------------------------------------------------
Turn 276/750 (1280 AD) [14-May-2008 18:08:42]
Tech learned: Feudalism
Tech learned: Polytheism
Tech learned: Aesthetics
Tech learned: Horseback Riding
Research begun: Monotheism (57 Turns)

After End Turn:
The whip was applied in Paris
Paris grows to size 8
Paris finishes: Crossbowman
Orleans finishes: Maceman
Lyons finishes: Crossbowman
Rheims finishes: Barracks
Marseilles grows to size 5

Other Player Actions:
While defending in French territory at Antium, 1st Swordsman of Orleans (Swordsman) (3.30/6) defeats Roman Catapult (Prob Victory: 85.3%)
While defending in French territory at Antium, 2nd Swordsman of Paris (Swordsman) (1.80/6) defeats Roman Catapult (Prob Victory: 84.1%)
While defending in the wild at Antium, Axeman 1 of Orleans (Axeman) loses to Roman Praetorian (6.64/8) (Prob Victory: 11.1%)
Attitude Change: Brennus(Celtia) towards AA03(France), from 'Pleased' to 'Friendly'

Turn 277/750 (1285 AD) [14-May-2008 18:20:25]
Paris begins: Longbowman (6 turns)
Orleans begins: Longbowman (6 turns)
Lyons begins: Longbowman (7 turns)
Rheims begins: Longbowman (10 turns)
1st Crossbowman of Orleans (Crossbowman) promoted: Drill IV
Maceman promoted: Combat I

After End Turn:
The whip was applied in Marseilles
A Town was built near Lyons
Marseilles finishes: Maceman

Other Player Actions:
Buddhism has spread: Marseilles
While defending in the wild at Antium, Beauchamp Menard (Swordsman) loses to Roman Horse Archer (1.20/6) (Prob Victory: 50.0%)
While defending in Roman territory at Antium, 1st Catapult of Paris (Catapult) loses to Roman Crossbowman (6.00/6) (Prob Victory: 17.5%)
While defending in the wild at Antium, 1st Swordsman of Orleans (Swordsman) loses to Roman Praetorian (5.92/8) (Prob Victory: 9.5%)
Attitude Change: Mehmed II(Ottomans) towards Hammurabi(Babylon), from 'Pleased' to 'Friendly'

Turn 278/750 (1290 AD) [14-May-2008 18:32:03]
Marseilles begins: Longbowman (75 turns)

After End Turn:
Orleans finishes: Longbowman
A Village was built near Lyons
Rheims grows to size 7
Marseilles grows to size 4

Other Player Actions:
While defending in French territory at Antium, 3rd Swordsman of Paris (Swordsman) (3.12/6) defeats Roman Catapult (Prob Victory: 87.4%)
While defending in Roman territory at Antium, 1st Crossbowman of Orleans (Crossbowman) loses to Roman Crossbowman (3.12/6) (Prob Victory: 0.9%)

Turn 279/750 (1295 AD) [14-May-2008 18:37:58]
Orleans begins: Maceman (6 turns)
Longbowman promoted: City Garrison I
Longbowman promoted: City Garrison II
Crossbowman promoted: Drill I

After End Turn:
Paris finishes: Longbowman
Antium finishes: Maceman

Other Player Actions:
While defending in French territory at Antium, Maceman (3.20/8) defeats Roman Horse Archer (Prob Victory: 35.7%)
While defending in French territory at Antium, 3rd Swordsman of Orleans (Swordsman) (3.72/6) defeats Roman Horse Archer (Prob Victory: 67.1%)
While defending in Roman territory at Antium, 1st Swordsman of Paris (Swordsman) loses to Roman Horse Archer (1.44/6) (Prob Victory: 17.7%)

Turn 280/750 (1300 AD) [14-May-2008 18:43:35]
Paris begins: Crossbowman (7 turns)
Antium begins: Longbowman (38 turns)
3rd Swordsman of Orleans (Swordsman) promoted: Shock

After End Turn:

Other Player Actions:
Buddhism has spread: Rheims
While defending in French territory at Antium, 3rd Swordsman of Orleans (Swordsman) (4.44/6) defeats Roman Catapult (Prob Victory: 49.1%)
Erwin Rommel (Great General) born in Paris
While defending in French territory at Antium, 3rd Swordsman of Paris (Swordsman) (2.16/6) defeats Roman Catapult (Prob Victory: 19.8%)
While defending in French territory at Antium, Maceman (3.44/8) defeats Roman Catapult (Prob Victory: 36.7%)
While defending in Roman territory at Antium, Axe Battalion VI (Axeman) loses to Roman Praetorian (6.72/8) (Prob Victory: 1.0%)
While defending in Roman territory at Antium, Maceman loses to Roman Praetorian (8.00/8) (Prob Victory: 0.6%)
While defending in Roman territory at Antium, 3rd Swordsman of Orleans (Swordsman) loses to Roman Horse Archer (6.00/6) (Prob Victory: 2.7%)
While defending in Roman territory at Antium, Siege Engine I (Catapult) loses to Roman Horse Archer (6.00/6) (Prob Victory: 0.9%)
While defending in Roman territory at Antium, Siege Engine II (Catapult) loses to Roman Horse Archer (4.44/6) (Prob Victory: 0.6%)
While defending in Roman territory at Antium, 3rd Swordsman of Paris (Swordsman) loses to Roman Chariot (4.00/4) (Prob Victory: 2.5%)
While defending in Roman territory at Antium, 2nd Swordsman of Paris (Maceman) loses to Roman Crossbowman (3.12/6) (Prob Victory: 0.1%)
Buddhism has been removed: Antium
Antium lost

Turn 281/750 (1305 AD) [14-May-2008 18:47:57]
A Mine was built near Lyons

After End Turn:
The whip was applied in Paris
The whip was applied in Orleans
The whip was applied in Rheims
Paris finishes: Crossbowman
Orleans finishes: Maceman
Rheims finishes: Longbowman

Other Player Actions:
State Religion Change: Huayna Capac(Inca) from 'Buddhism' to 'no State Religion'
Attitude Change: Mao Zedong(China) towards Huayna Capac(Inca), from 'Friendly' to 'Pleased'
Attitude Change: Mehmed II(Ottomans) towards Huayna Capac(Inca), from 'Friendly' to 'Pleased'
Attitude Change: Huayna Capac(Inca) towards AA03(France), from 'Friendly' to 'Pleased'
Attitude Change: Huayna Capac(Inca) towards Julius Caesar(Rome), from 'Friendly' to 'Pleased'
Attitude Change: Huayna Capac(Inca) towards Hammurabi(Babylon), from 'Pleased' to 'Cautious'
Attitude Change: Hammurabi(Babylon) towards Huayna Capac(Inca), from 'Cautious' to 'Annoyed'
Attitude Change: Brennus(Celtia) towards Huayna Capac(Inca), from 'Friendly' to 'Pleased'
Civics Change: Mao Zedong(China) from 'Decentralization' to 'Mercantilism'
Civics Change: Huayna Capac(Inca) from 'Slavery' to 'Caste System'
Civics Change: Huayna Capac(Inca) from 'Decentralization' to 'Free Market'
Civics Change: Huayna Capac(Inca) from 'Organized Religion' to 'Free Religion'

Turn 282/750 (1310 AD) [14-May-2008 18:53:43]
Paris begins: Longbowman (8 turns)
Orleans begins: Longbowman (5 turns)
Rheims begins: Crossbowman (12 turns)
A Plantation was built
Maceman promoted: Shock
Crossbowman promoted: City Garrison I
Crossbowman promoted: City Garrison II
Crossbowman promoted: Drill I

After End Turn:
Marseilles grows to size 5

Other Player Actions:
While defending in French territory at Arretium, Maceman loses to Roman Praetorian (4.64/8) (Prob Victory: 70.3%)
While defending in French territory at Arretium, Longbowman (2.94/6) defeats Roman Longbowman (Prob Victory: 77.5%)
While defending in French territory at Arretium, Crossbowman (6.00/6) defeats Roman Praetorian (Prob Victory: 97.8%)
While defending in French territory at Arretium, Chandler Orleans (Spearman) (3.44/4) defeats Roman Horse Archer (Prob Victory: 100.0%)
While defending in French territory at Arretium, Longbowman (3.84/6) defeats Roman Horse Archer (Prob Victory: 73.2%)
While defending in Roman territory at Arretium, Crossbowman loses to Roman Crossbowman (0.30/6) (Prob Victory: 34.8%)
While defending in Roman territory at Arretium, Longbowman loses to Roman Praetorian (4.64/8) (Prob Victory: 32.8%)
While defending in French territory at Arretium, Chandler Orleans (Spearman) (0.44/4) defeats Roman Chariot (Prob Victory: 91.8%)
While defending in Roman territory at Numidian, Archer 4 of Paris (Archer) loses to Roman Longbowman (3.48/6) (Prob Victory: 0.9%)
Attitude Change: Mao Zedong(China) towards Mehmed II(Ottomans), from 'Pleased' to 'Friendly'
Attitude Change: Hammurabi(Babylon) towards Brennus(Celtia), from 'Annoyed' to 'Cautious'

Turn 283/750 (1315 AD) [14-May-2008 18:57:59]
Chandler Orleans (Spearman) promoted: Combat I

After End Turn:
Paris finishes: Longbowman
Lyons finishes: Longbowman

Other Player Actions:
While defending in Roman territory at Arretium, Longbowman loses to Roman Horse Archer (0.72/6) (Prob Victory: 52.7%)
While defending in Roman territory at Arretium, Chandler Orleans (Spearman) loses to Roman Praetorian (6.32/8) (Prob Victory: 0.0%)
Buddhism has been removed: Arretium
Confucianism has been removed: Arretium
Arretium lost
Julius Caesar(Rome) and AA03(France) have signed a peace treaty
Attitude Change: Mehmed II(Ottomans) towards Hammurabi(Babylon), from 'Friendly' to 'Pleased'
Attitude Change: Brennus(Celtia) towards Hammurabi(Babylon), from 'Pleased' to 'Cautious'
Civics Change: Hammurabi(Babylon) from 'Vassalage' to 'Bureaucracy'
Civics Change: Hammurabi(Babylon) from 'Organized Religion' to 'Pacifism'

Turn 284/750 (1320 AD) [14-May-2008 18:59:36]
Paris begins: Maceman (11 turns)
Lyons begins: Crossbowman (8 turns)
A Watermill was built near Marseilles

Attachments

• AA03 AD-1320.CivBeyondSwordSave
    286.8 KB · Views: 87
wow ~ I guess the only question now is retire and restart w/same settings or use new settings??

Roster:
beserks01 >> on deck
Imhotep
pholkhero
mystyfly
negyvenketto >> just played
GreyFox >> UP NOW

pholklhero said:
wow ~ I guess the only question now is retire and restart w/same settings or use new settings??
:eek:

I think we should wait for greyfox' set and then decide whether or not to restart. If we restart I'm for using the same settings.

And as pholk hinted, I'll be OOP this weekend so no input from me until monday.

Top Bottom