Academic jargon in use in CFCOT

He talked about working at a newspaper that paid 1/2 cent per word. I found the article online if you want to read it.

Here a nice article on regional differences in word choice in German speaking areas.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...curtain-still-divides-the-country-study-finds

been confronted with this all my life. I intuitively understand now depending on where people are from, but it sure is weird. the way that bavarians do it still seems a lil weird to me, though I do use it from time to time.

usually you'd say "viertel nach zehn" which is "quarter past ten". but in bavaria you say "viertel elf", literally "quarter eleven". both are pretty easy to understand imho

I come from the border of the internal languages, and especially the difference in the time is really annoying. People who do it wrong should be shot :mad:.

are you implying there is a right way? also, if it's unclear, y'know, just ask? :lol:

Something was lost in translation because those mean literally half hour or full hour difference to each other in English as I know it

I remember reading a little vignette in Reader's Digest's "All in a Day's Work" humor section. A nurse wrote in about one of her patients, who got a bit put out when he took a peek at her notes and saw the notation "S.O.B." He was quite upset and asked her if he was really that bad, he didn't think he'd behaved inappropriately... she realized what he thought she meant, and quickly reassured him that the letters meant "short of breath."

Top Bottom