1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Acronym's Bucket List Succession Game - sign-ups open!

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by Acronym, May 27, 2014.

1. tjs282

tjs282 Stone cold fish

Yeah, I admit it, I founded just enough towns so that one of the first ones you'd get would be Heidelburg again... ;)

Re. Settler placement -- not that it matters much at this stage -- I was thinking to move Bayonhongor 1S onto the coastal Hills, and plant others on the Hills SSW of Gute Ernte, the Hills 2SW of Bath, and the Tundra 1SE of the Deer...

2. Lanzelot

Lanzelot Moderator Moderator

I almost suspected it...

Ok, here is my turnset. I didn't spend too much time on settler placement... In fact, in order to speed up the game, I switched about half of the 40+ settler builds to Wealth or Cruise Missiles (if they had already a decent amount of shields in the bin)...

Spoiler :

Pre-Turn:
    Notice that India and Mongolia have Sanitation, so I buy it from India for Flight. I add dyes to the deal, as they are furious, but that doesn't make them any smoother?! Any idea, why they are furious?
    Change from Wealth to Hospital in a few cities that can still grow 1-2 points: Wilhelmshaven, Trondheim, Bananenbucht.
    Kolossusstadt, Hamburg, Odense and Hareid will get one after their current build (Police Station or Offshore Platform).

IBT:
    Neu-Osloh: SS-Cockpit -> Army
    Bananenbucht: Hospital -> Commercial Dock
    Leipzig: Library -> University
    A couple of settlers finish.

T293, 1515 AD:
    The usual worker actions.

T294, 1520 AD:
    Bananenbucht has grown to 13. Punp her up to 19. (Hey, since when can workers be airlifted?! I always thought that workers settlers and artillery cannot be airlifted!)
    Reduce science to 70%. Too lazy to switch some of the scientists to taxmen... we are swimming in gold anyways...

Sell 3 luxes to Ghandi for another ~100gpt. How can he afford that??

Howly cow, we are still working on way over 40 settlers, some of them in towns which have only tundra, so can never reach size 3?!
    Switch some of them to cruise missiles.
    Cash-rush a few useful things.

IBT:
    Synthetic Fibers -> Sattelites.
    Switch Manhattan to Casing and Solar Plant to Storage/Supply.

Trondheim: Hospital -> Intelligence Agency
    Bergen: SS Storage/Supply -> Solar Plant
    Stockholm: Police Station -> Hospital
    Aarhus: Destroyer -> Police Station
    Eisenstadt: Mech Inf -> Courthouse
    Catan: Mech Inf -> Mech Inf
    Goldstadt: Exterior Casing -> Manhattan Project
    Westenburgberg: Commercial Dock -> Hospital

T295, 1525 AD:
    Switch some of our best producers (50s and more) from Wealth to something useful.
    Building Wealth in a city that has more than 1 shield is really a crime...!
    We can build units and then disband them in coastal cities for useful infrastructure (Hospitals, Comm Docks, Offshore Platforms, etc)
    Example: if a city with 50 spt produces Wealth, it gives you 12 coins. These 12 coins can cash-rush 3 shields in another city, which is 6 shields in two turns.
    If in these two turns you produce a Tank, Bomber, Mobile Sam etc. for 100s, you can disband it in another town for 25 shields!

In the next couple of turns I will use unit-disbanding combined with short-rushing to speed up some of our coastal cities, like Kolossusstadt, Hamburg, and so on.

München: Wealth -> UN
    Oasenstadt: Wealth -> Modern Armor (60spt just asks for MA... :))
    Weizenheim: Wealth -> Artillery (40spt)
    Brandenburg: Wealth -> Mobile Sam (50spt)
    Potsdam: Wealth -> Artillery
    Königsberg: Wealth -> Modern Armor (60spt)

IBT:
    Kolossusstadt: Offshore Platform -> Hospital
    Wilhelmshaven: Hospital -> Solar Plant
    Bananenbucht: Comm Dock -> Offshore Platform

Get 3x pollution - time to build some Masstransits.

T296, 1530 AD:
    Nothing of interest

IBT:
    Oasenstadt: MA -> MA
    Königsberg: MA -> MA
    Eisenstadt: Courthouse -> Mech Inf
    Catan: Mech Inf -> Mech Inf
    Weizenheim: Artillery -> Artillery
    Brandenburg: Mobile Sam -> Mobile Sam
    Potsdam: Artillery -> Artillery

T297, 1535 AD:
    More of the same

IBT:
    Kolossusstadt: Hospital -> Police Station
    Hamburg: Offshore Platform -> Hospital
    Walstadt: Offshore Platform -> Hospital
    Fischberg: Hospital

We can now build the Battlefield Medicine, so I start it in Fischberg. Another useful prebuild.

T298, 1540 AD:
    Nada

IBT:
    Sattellites -> Nuclear Power
    Switch UN to Thrusters
    Neu-Osloh: Army -> Army
    Hamburg: Hospital -> UN
    Stockholm: Hospital -> Comm Dock
    Hareid: Police Station -> Hospital
    Westenburgberg: Hospital -> Offshore Platform
    More units.

T299, 1545 AD:
    Switch Solar Plant in Bergen to Palace, as it is going to finish before the next tech.

IBT:
    Aarhus: Police Station -> Cruise Missile
    Walstadt: Hospital -> Police Station
    Bananenbucht: Offshore Platform -> Mass Transit

T300, 1550 AD:
    Zzz :sleep:

IBT:
    München: SS Thrusters -> Modern Armor

T301, 1555 AD:
    Augsburger Religionsfriede!

The second pollution in Fischberg in 3 turns! Switch Battlefield Medicine to Mass Transit. Battlefield Medicine is now built in Aarhus.

IBT:
    Kolossusstadt: Police Station -> Mass Transit
    Walstadt: Police Station -> Mass Transit
    Hareid: Hospital -> Comm Dock
    Fischberg: Mass Transit -> MA

T302, 1560 AD:
    Nothing special

IBT:
    Temujin offer us a mutual protection pact, if we pay 6gpt for it... No thanks.
    Nuclear Power -> Superconductor

Trondheim: Intelligence Agency -> Sol Plant
    Leipzig: University -> Police Station
    We lost ivory and incense and lots of cash, need to renew the deal with India.

Deal with India: Mass Production and Oil for Ivory, Incense and 81gpt
    Deal with Mongolia: Mass Production for 62gpt

Handover notes:

Nothing really special. Continue to tech in 4 and switch a suitable prebuild to a spaceship part, whenever a tech comes in. There are 3 more techs and 4 more parts, so in 12 turns (1620 AD) the game is over.
    We can do some spying now, but don't risk a war...

3. tjs282

tjs282 Stone cold fish

Well the Japs and the Mongols are Furious because we just finished handing both their a***s to them in a sling. I have no idea why Gandhi's upset, though, since I've done nothing to deliberately annoy him AFAIK -- apart from draining his treasury and bleeding him white, anyway! (Then he shouldn't have signed those deals, should he?) :lol: Is it possible that we are getting penalised for me Settler-abandoning some English/ Jap/ Viking towns? Or do the AICivs just automatically get more annoyed when you're so far ahead that they can't possibly stop you from winning...?
    The Settler-builds in tundra-towns were for disbandments when they hit Pop2, to fit in more Pop1 farms per land-tile! (I did say that already, using Nordenberg as an example)
    I know that, but I couldn't think of anything else -- nearly all the high-shield core cities had all the buildings they needed (or were prebuilding stuff), Workers/ Settlers obviously made no sense for the most part (except 1T Settlers in Aarhus), and we didn't really need any more mil-units. It didn't occur to me to buy Sanitation/ build Hospitals either (actually, I don't remember even seeing Sanitation come up on CAII during my turns, but it's possible I missed it during the last couple, while I was busy MM-ing farms) -- although I do remember feeling a bit miffed that I was wasting food in B'bucht and other places
    I already acknowledged that, shortly after I posted the save. Unfortunately I didn't think about doing it during my set, I simply thought "[CITY] can build Cav/ Inf/ Panzer in 2T -- but we don't need any more mil-units". Building (modern) units just to disband them -- and farming, come to that -- weren't/ aren't yet established habits for me. My solo games prior to this SG mostly never ended up with that much surplus production (and when they did, I tended to convert it into buildings directly, without really doing any kind of cost-benefit analysis! Probably at least partly why I was still stuck at Monarch...).
    Could I request that whoever takes the next set, plays 11T and then posts the penultimate-turn savegame for any team-members who wish to be able to record the win in their high-score table (i.e. me!)?

4. Lanzelot

Well, there still was some useful stuff to build in our core. Besides 8 Hospitals (which admittedly don't count, if you didn't notice Sanitation being up for sale) I also built 13 other buildings (Comm Docks, Police Stations, Offshore Platforms, a University and a Coruthouse), and most of that stuff was mainly built by disbanding units and adding a bit of cash. (So another trick to add to your arsenal... ;))
    But admittedly neither of these made any difference to our victory: we can already research any tech at 90%, so anything I did was already overkill... (As is your "perfectionism" with settler-disbanding a tundra town to squeeze in two of them ;)) But I just love to optimize my core. On the other hand I didn't spend any time and effort on our farms anymore. Surely there are quite a few, which I could have pushed to 12 with slave joins. But why bother, if we are winning anyway now, even with one hand tied behind our back... :mischief:

Posting the penultimate turn here would indeed be nice! My high-score table is still pretty empty: for the last 7 years I only played GOTMs and PBEMs, and neither of them are recorded in the high-score table. :sad:

BTW: who will get the honor of bringing this to the touch-down? Perhaps we should ask acronym?

5. tjs282

tjs282 Stone cold fish

I didn't know that. Is that because they've usually(/always?) been modded?

Having a go at -- and maybe even submitting an entry for -- some GOTMs is also on my to-do list, once I feel that I'm reasonably competent at DG... ;) (I started the 'High aggression' Mongol-Emperor GOTM earlier this year, but then got distracted. Plus I was losing anyway :trouble::cry: ) I can only play the Conquests GOTMs though, because my installation (from GamersGate) should really have been sold as 'Civ3Incomplete' -- they didn't include a PTW.exe ... :sad:

I'm toying with the idea of trying to 'fake' one, by modding the Vanilla .bic(?): adding the PTW units+civs+wonders, tweaking the rules, modding the tech-tree, etc., and then saving that ruleset as a Vanilla-playable 'PTWMod'. That looks like a lot of work though, and I'm not sure it's worth doing. I would need a lot of patience and time (and -- let's be honest -- assistance!) to make and playtest such an attempt, and even if I could get the Vanilla1.29 civ3.exe to function like an authentic PTW1.27 .exe, I still wouldn't actually be able to use it for submitting entries to the PTW GOTMs.
    That is a really nice idea. Will you PM him?

6. choxorn

choxorn Watermelon Headcrab

I also think PM'ing Acronym to see if he wants to finish this sounds like a good idea.

If he's not available, and CBob and MrRandom are still MIA, and Elephantium is still unavailable, I guess I can take it.

7. Acronym

Acronym Warlord

Hi team,

Thanks for inviting me back for the final turn-set! I'm touched that you remembered me, and honoured to be dusted off and given the opportunity to smash the champagne bottle against the proud hull of the German peoples' SS Sieg (unless you've already named it?).

If you'll bear with me, I'm going to try and skim through a bit of the history of the last several hundred years, and brush up on what the plan is so that I don't throw it off course in the finishing stretch!

But I absolutely would love to play the final turnset, either tonight or tomorrow, and will certainly post the save for the penultimate turn, so that the sage rulers of the centuries can all be gathered for the momentous occasion.

Perfect timing, too - I just checked back in here for the first time in a while to find your message, and also just purchased Beyond Earth, now that it's come out for Mac, although I have no idea when I'll find time to play it!

Thanks again, guys - really looking forward to this :)

8. Acronym

Acronym Warlord

Neeeearly caught up with it all, but I'm afraid I need to sleep before downloading any save files. Fortunately I'm off until nightshift on Wednesday night, so plenty of time to catch up on everything and play the final set.

I'm sure you guys have it perfectly set up anyway and it won't take too much planning to play, but I'm really enjoying reading the thread and seeing how the empire has evolved, and I'd like to be familiar with how we've got to where we are before jumping in. ETA Alpha Centauri sometime on December 1st, 2014/1620AD!

9. Acronym

Acronym Warlord

Wow - having played the opening 20, and then read about everything thereafter, it’s fascinating seeing the lie of the land ‘in the flesh’. Especially the named Armies, now that I know their full history!

So, as per Lancelot’s hand-over, the 3 remaining techs are Superconductor, Laser, and Robotics. Currently researching Superconductor, so I guess we go in that order.

Four more spaceship parts to build, and I see pre-builds in Trondheim (Solar Plant, 6), Goldstadt (Manhattan Project, 7), Aarhus (Battlefield Medicine, 11), and Bergen (Palace, 14). I take it I should use them in this order - at 4T techs, Trondheim and Goldstadt would be finished before the next tech, but thankfully there will be two parts from Superconductor, then Aarhus can build the Planetary Party Lounge (courtesy of Lasers), and finally Bergen can load the Stasis Chamber. Have I got this right?

There are absolutely tonnes of towns down in the South, and I’m afraid I can’t face going through each of them individually. As far as I can tell, I can’t see any red numbers, so no one is imminently starving, and if we are getting 4T techs and a surplus, then I am afraid I am going to ride this out on the ‘perfectionism’ of all your previous micromanagement!

So what actually needs to be done? Avoid a war? Change the appropriate pre-builds at the appropriate times?

Given the courtesy with which this SG has been played throughout, I’ll post this as a pre-turn plan before doing anything, but honestly I think it will really be a question of hitting ‘return’ 12 times unless Ghandi throws a spanner in the works.

I'll leave it till last thing at night tonight (I should really have tried to post last night), but I'd like to play it tonight unless there are any further suggestions.

10. tjs282

tjs282 Stone cold fish

Hi Acronym, welcome back! :)

Sorry I didn't see your last post until yesterday. I hope you weren't waiting for an answer before playing? If so, I think I speak for all of us when I say that your plan is fine. As you say, there shouldn't be much to do at this stage, beyond keeping our neighbours peaceful.

Neither the Mongols nor the Indians are in any position to seriously threaten our continent/ Shipbuilding activities. So even if Gandhi -- or Temujin -- is foolish enough to DoW you/us, it shouldn't do much harm. Although that could mess up any current Lux-import deals [i.e. city happiness] and/or send us into negative GPT, WH may make up for the lost Luxes, WW won't be an issue, and our Treasury should by now be inflated enough that we can weather at least 5-6T -- if not more -- at as much as -500GPT. And you should have enough hardware in Mongindapan to be able to take some cities and force a peace deal relatively quickly.

And no, you shouldn't need to worry about the farms in the southern half of our continent either, unless you notice that you've suddenly lost the ability to do 4T research. If that happens, it may be because a farm(s) has popped its borders and the governor has reassigned all citizens to work the land tiles, meaning you're not getting those Scientist-BPT. This happened to me during Turns 7-8 of my last turnset, 5T after I/we built TheInternet, because of the free ResLabs (2 CulturePT): nearly every homeland farm popped simultaneously at 10 Culture-points. Obviously the ResLabs on their own aren't going to cause any further expansion for another ~38T (would need 50T for 100 Culture), BUT someone (who shall remain nameless, because I don't know who it was) also decided to build Libs in several of the farms. I didn't sell those Libs (although I probably should have done), and if Lanzelot didn't either, any Lib-farms which haven't yet hit 100 Culture-points (you can check with Mrs F5) may be due another border-expansion during your turnset, which falls in the 'window' between 'Lib alone' (34T to ≥100 Culture) and 'Lib+freeResLab' (4+18T = 22T to ≥100 Culture)..

Of course all of the above is moot if you've played already, in which case --- please post the last-turn savegame! :drool:

11. Acronym

Acronym Warlord

Bismarck the Magnificent

Turn log spolier'd below:

Spoiler :
    urn 303: 1565 AD
    Workers continue to railroad the now-conquered Japanese mainland. A few mechs built - not really sure what to do with them, but as we can airlift them wherever they’re needed, they might as well sit tight.
    A carrier is built in Wilhelmshaven Pentagon! Really not seeing much need for that, but why not. Looking through Lancelot’s turn set, looks like that was intended to be a Solar Plant pre-build - I’ll start that again now. I rebase our three bombers onto it.

IBT:
    Some Mongolian cavalry appear new New Leipzig, within range of capturing a stack of our workers.
    Japan asks for an audience. I take it we’re still going for WH? They offer a straight up Peace Treaty, nothing to sweeten it, presumably because they can’t afford anything (looks like they can actually manage 36G + 3gpt - the cheek of it!). I send him packing

Pollution near Bergen

Turn 304: 1570AD
    Stockholm Commercial Dock -> Mass transit system
    Stavanger Marketplace -> Commercial Dock (I guess this is something to rush with disbanded MAs?)
    En Oslo Army -> Army
    Brandenburg MA -> MA
    Einsstadt Settler -> Wealth

Move a few workers around, and protect the workers near New Leipzig with a couple of Panzer.
    MA from Brandenburg to Stavanger for disbanding.

Turn 305: 1575AD
    Konigsberg MA -> MA
    Eisenstadt MI -> MI
    Munchen MA -> MA
    Catan MI -> MI
    Banananbucht MA -> MA
    Fischberg MA -> MA
    Wteizenheim Cav -> Cruise Missile
    Potsdam Cav -> Cruise Missile

Pollution near Walstadt

We are comfortably researching Superconductor - 2 turns to go, I reduce the slider to 80% and it’s still 2 turns. Income now +187gpt.

Disband another few MAs in Stavanger. Just to make sure I’m not creating a disaster waiting to happen, check in with the Colonel - still strong compared to everyone else.

Just noticed a cruise missile happily hovering near Oasenstadt! Looks rather surreal.

Clear the pollution, and at a bit of a loose end as to what to do with all these workers… Should I be adding them to cities? Oh well, won’t make much difference now. I’ll plant some forest in the tundra as a nod to environmental conservation, even as we prepare to abandon the planet.

IBT:
    More pollution!

Vierstadt Courthouse -> Library

Turn 306: 1580AD
    Very little happens.
    Superconductor next turn - must remember to switch Trondheim and Goldstadt to the next components.

IBT:
    Goldstadt Manhattan Project -> SS Life Support System (wastes 288 shields!)
    Trondheim Solar Plant -> SS Fuel Cells (Wastes 80 shields)

Maybe I’m doing these wrong, but I think that’s how it should be done?

Kolossusstadt Mass Transit -> Solar Plant
    Bayanhongor Settler -> Wealth

Turn 307: 1585AD
    Oh dear! The people of Tosontsengel were always a bit shifty, but now they’ve outright overthrown our governor and have joined Mongolia. The more fool them - all their wrist-barcodes have been struck from the potential Alpha Centauri manifest.

Discover Superconductor -> Laser (4 turns) Still at 80% and still getting 4T tech.

Eisenstadt MA -> Manhattan Project (rebuild)
    Munched MA -> Solar Plant
    Catan MA ->
    Goldstadt SS Life Support System -> Solar Plant
    Banananberg MA -> Solar Plant (?prebuild - they make 77 spt!)
    Weizenheim Cruise Missle -> Cruise Missle
    Brandenbug MA -> MA
    Potsdam Cruise Missile -> Cruise Missile (I’ve got a bad feeling about what we’re going to do with all these, once we’ve fled the planet…)

We now have a fair few troops in Mongolian territory after that flip. I’m tempted to punish the revolting citizens of Tosontsengel (or at least, give them a wash), but as pretty much the only handover instructions were not to start a war, I’ll try and avoid it. I’ll move the troops towards our territories, but imagine they’ll get the boot before they make it.

Cash-rush libraries in Pyongsong and Frankfurt to try and prevent any further cultural flips.

IBT:
    Mongols, furious, demand that we remove our troops in their territory. Careful not to tread on anyone’s toes, they leap over the border without touching the ground. Despite our diplomats most gracious words, they warn ‘Your foolish action has almost precipitated a war between our people!’. Right you are.

Turn 308: 1590AD
    Trondheim builds SS fuel cells -> Solar plant
    Stavangar Commercial dock -> Police Station
    Pyongyang Library -> Marketplace
    Walstadt Mass Transit -> Solar Plant

More pollution

Fischberg MA -> MA
    Frankfurt Library -> University

Little else goes on.

IBT:
    Oasenstadt Solar Plant -> Mass Transit
    Kongsberg Mobile SAM -> MA
    Neu-Osloh Army -> Army
    Wteizenheim Cruise Missile -> Cruise Missile
    Potsdam Cruise Missile -> Cruise missile (also spurt out some pollution)
    Siebenstadt Settler -> Library

Turn 309: 1595AD
    Very little happens. Laser in 2.

IBT:
    Japanese caravel (I think spotted) moving at high speed - I’ll need to root around to find out where it went.

Turn 310: 1600AD
    The dawn of a new century. Hopefully our last on this godforsaken-planet.

Stockholm Mass Transit -> Solar Plant
    Catan MA -> Solar Plant
    Brandenburg MA -> MA

Aha - found the bugger. Japanese caravel off the coast of Hareid, immediately tipping it towards starvation. Damn, and the nearest cruise missile is in Wteizenheim, just one square short of hitting it. I don’t see any of our glorious navy in the vicinity. I’ll just re-jig our MAs around the continent to make sure we intercept any landings promptly.

Oh - I didn’t realise you could move Cruise Missles AND bombard with them in the same turn. One that was floating around near Oasenstadt relocated to Hareid, and bombards the wooden caravel - which miraculously is still afloat, although redlined. :spear: Well, plenty more where that came from. The second one polishes it off.

The laser is in 1 turn; I can reduce science to 70% without affecting this. Not that we need the money particularly. Maybe I’ll give the people something to be happy about - in our glorious decadence, in the dying days of the world, we’ll put the luxury slider up to 10%. (My apologies to all of you micromanagers out there - you must be groaning at this Caligula figure who is so grossly careless with your hard-earned wealth! Just to make you really squirm - the great Northern forest, planted carefully atop the tundra by the hands of hundreds of slaves, is coming along nicely, and probably serving absolutely no useful purpose).

IBT:
    We discover Laser. Set Aarhus to SS Planetary Party Lounge (wastes 220 shields from Battlefield Medicine - oops!).

Laser -> Robotics (currently 6 turns; I’ll adjust the slider again).

Koningsberg MA -> MA
    Aarhus SS Planetary Party Lounge -> Solar Plant
    Hareid Commercial Dock -> Cruise Missle

Certainly the people seem to love the Chancellor. I wonder why?! Couldn’t be to do with the reckless profligacy now, could it?

Fischberg MA -> MA
    Wteizenheim Cruise Missle -> Cruise Missile
    Potsdam Cruise -> Cruise
    Vierstadt Library -> University

Turn 311: 1605AD
    Adjust Science back up to 90% - Robotics in 4 turns. Running a -41gpt deficit with that 10% luxury, but what the hell - we’ve got nearly 6500 in the bank. Seems an appropriate setting in which to launch a Planetary Party Lounge!

Neu-Osloh is our most productive town, and is currently pre-building an Army, complete in 3 turns. Changed to Battlefield Medicine (complete in 5), so that everything is set for the grand finale.

IBT:
    Wilhelmshaven Pentagon Solar Plant -> Cruise Missile
    Bananaenbucht Solar Plant -> Cruise Missile
    Westenburgberg Offshore Platform -> Mass Transit

Some bloody global warming has turned a forest in the south of our continent into tundra! What the hell am I doing planting all that forest in the North, if it’s just going to disappear in the South?

Turn 312: 1610AD
    Nothing happens. At least I am planting forests faster than their disappearing! Take that, global warming!

IBT:
    Oasenstadt Mass Transit System -> Airport (for want of anything better to do! I can’t believe our capital doesn’t even have an airport - not from any Civ mechanics point of view, but just from a self-respecting global empire’s point of view! Maybe we should throw a hospital to the denizens, too, before we cast ourselves off).
    Konigsberg MA -> MA
    Munched Solar Plant -> Mass Transit
    Goldstadt Solar Plant -> Mass Transit
    Bananenbuct Cruise Missle -> Cruise
    Bristol Settler -> Library
    Wteizenheim Cruise Missile -> Mobile SAM
    Brandenburg MA -> MA
    Potsdam Cruise Missile -> Cruise
    Junglestadt Market -> University

Turn 313: 1615AD
    Robotics in 2 turns
    Nothing else.

IBT:
    Lots of Mongolian activity, but I fear for them, alas, too late. No declarations of war, or love, though.

Trondheim Solar Plant -> Mass Transit
    Wilhelmshaven Cruise -> MA
    Bananenbucht Cruise -> MA
    Eisendorsch Harbour -> Library
    Fischberg MA -> MA

Turn 314: 1620AD
    More railroads and forests. I’m sorry, I’ve been a bit boring - I should really have been mobilising all these troops that are sitting around our cities, ready for an all-out assault on the Mongolians for their earlier cheek, as soon as we’ve won the Space Race. I guess anyone is welcome to do that if they so wish.

Saved the game - I guess the next turn should complete it, though never having won a Space Race, I’m not sure - does the game end when we launch, or when we arrive? Here goes, anyway!

IBT:
    India are no longer willing to give 34gpt for furs. Never mind. They have amphibious warfare - not that we really need it for anything, but I give them Ecology (in the hope that they will likewise take a custodial attitude towards our planet, once we have left) in return for amphibious warfare, 408G, and 150gpt. I haven’t bothered to check with Mongolia, but in these dying days of the empire, with the apocalypse looming large, such haggling hardly seems to matter.

Turn 315: 1625AD
    Discover Robotics. I suppose we need to research something - lets try Genetics, and see if we can cure cancer while we’re at it.

Change Neu-Osloh to SS Stasis Chamber while I’m at it (wasting 85 shields).

Oasenstadt airport -> that promised hospital
    Konigsberg MA -> MA
    Kolossusstadt Solar Plant -> MA
    Neu-Osloh SS Stasis Chamber -> ? Well, I suppose they have to do something. Battlefield medicine again!

Our spaceship is complete! Time to see what the universe looks like…

And we're off! The plan was flawless, and despite my whims (see turn log above!) I managed to stay out of a war.

Link to video.

Congratulations, team - despite the odds, and in the face of many adversities, the people of Acronym's long-forgotten tribe have cast off the shackles of this planet and will find a new home in a brave new world, thanks to your careful guidance!

It's been great fun reading everything that's gone on over the past few months, and all the ingenious ways you came up with to leap ahead of the AI players. I'm sure I would have learnt loads if I'd had the time to commit properly - sorry again that I couldn't.

But thank you for letting me take her into land! The penultimate turn should be attached below - enjoy!

Attached Files:

12. choxorn

choxorn Watermelon Headcrab

Of course, being the only ones with Space Flight, we'll get to Alpha Centauri decades, maybe before India and Mongolia ever get around to it, enough of a head start that we should easily win Beyond Earth. :lol:

13. Elephantium

Elephantium Elephants think that people are cute, like puppies

lurker's comment:
    Congrats, guys!

(well, semi-lurk)

14. dalgo

dalgo Emperor

lurker's comment: congratulations to the team

15. MrRandomGuy

MrRandomGuy Warlord

Yay it got finished :) Glad to be part of it even though I made some dopey mistakes. Sorry I didn't have time to finish.

16. tjs282

tjs282 Stone cold fish

We launched! Hooray!

Thanks guys, it's been great fun.

17. Toxicman007

Toxicman007 Custom User Title

I suggest a Civ:BE SG now, to continue the glorious german empire through time and space!

18. Lanzelot

Very ingenious way of fighting global warming...! :D Never thought of that before. (We should include that into cracker's War Academy article about "Forestry Operations"...)

Never mind the shield wastage on those prebuilds. At this point, where we have so much production capacity and nothing useful to build, even I don't care anymore... When selecting a prebuild, I just make sure that it has at least the required number of shields when they are needed and that it doesn't complete before the time. In fact: better to have 100 shields overrun than making it a close shave and then having pollution hit a coal mountain on the last turn, leaving the prebuild like one shield short... :gripe:

As you found out yourself, Cruise Missiles are an excellent coastal defense. That's why I like to have a small arsenal of them on stock. They can cover the entire coastline even of a huge continent and can sink any ship immediately. To achieve the same with ships, you would need a huge Navy. And even with bombers, you would need quite a few, as they can't be relocated and bomb in the same turn. (Only I should also have built a few arties to soften up the target before the missiles finish them off. Or rather: I built a couple arties but then carelessly disbanded them all for more Commercial Docks and stuff... :crazyeye:

Anyway: good job, the entire team! Spaceship in 1625 AD on Emperor and a random map is something to be proud of! We just barely missed rank #10 in the corresponding Hall of Fame table: Space Ship, Standard Map Size
    And these games are usually played with nearly perfect start conditions (i.e. 2-3 food boni and many hand-selected scientific opponents for lots of free techs). In contrast we had only one scientific opponent, Korea, and if I remember correctly, we didn't get a single tech out of them, because at the end of the ancient age we hadn't met them yet, and at the end of the medieval age they had already been destroyed by the Mongols... And also we had a very cramped start position (room for only one ring around the Palace) and no real food bonus (sugar and oasis don't count, as they still only give +2 food under despotism).

So even though I kept criticizing you, the end-result is quite ok indeed! (I would be interested though, what might have been achieved with "perfect" play, e.g. earlier Colossus and Republic sling-shot...? :confused:)