ACTA: the End of Internet Anonymity?

I saw this on The Bay weeks ago. I'll copypasta some relevant stuffs.

THE PIRATE BAY WORLD PREMIERE!

The leaked ACTA agreement!

Soon to be copy pasted into a law near you.

"It provides for criminalization of copyright infringement, granting law enforcement the

powers to perform criminal investigation, arrests and pursue criminal citations or

prosecution of suspects who MAY have infringed on copyright"

Basically, you're guilty until proven otherwise. Nice move big brother, nice move.

Read more about it here:

http://werebuild.eu/wiki/index.php?title=ACTA

fixed the link now and added another here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Counterfeiting_Trade_Agreement

A document leaked to the public in 2008 includes a provision to force Internet Service Providers (ISPs) to provide information about suspected copyright infringers without a warrant.[4] A March 2010 leak included the proposed text for this provision.[5]

Border searches

Potential border searches are covered by the "Border Measures" proposal of ACTA. As of February 2009 and according to University of Ottawa law professor Michael Geist there is significant disagreement among countries on this topic: "Some countries are seeking the minimum rules, the removal of certain clauses, and a specific provision to put to rest fears of iPod searching customs officials by excluding personal baggage that contains goods of a non-commercial nature. The U.S. is pushing for broad provisions that cover import, export, and in-transit shipments."[17]
Newspaper reports advise the proposed agreement would empower security officials at airports and other international borders to conduct random ex officio searches of laptops, MP3 players, and cellular phones for illegally downloaded or "ripped" music and movies. Travellers with infringing content would be subject to a fine and may have their devices confiscated or destroyed.[6][18]

Newspaper reports advise the proposed agreement would empower security officials at airports and other international borders to conduct random ex officio searches of laptops, MP3 players, and cellular phones for illegally downloaded or "ripped" music and movies. Travellers with infringing content would be subject to a fine and may have their devices confiscated or destroyed
Confiscation of contraband at airports and borders is nothing new.

OK, so I'll have to fire up the YouTube downloader and use the couple hundred GB I've been keeping against a rainy day.

Top Bottom