Acularius' GEM for Caveman2Cosmos

I'm probably going to be going through the resources and taking some away. Mainly to open up space, and the other because I want to stimulate trading between 2 nations. Maybe make resources less far reaching such as limiting silk to China only.I can't do much about iron/copper/oil etc (resources that will be there without human intervention) but the more natural resources.
Of course I'm not going to take TOO much away from places that need them such as Europe which has a lot of non-native plantlife, such as wheat and barley.

I just want to open up space, and I can always use terrain now to substitute the food loss taking away resources might bring.
Essentially I want to encourage Imperialism and Trade when that period of time opens up.

Are you gonna do this?
Map information:
- Change the start date from 40000BC to 50000BC. (ls612)

Civilizations:
We're at 50, any new ones come at the expense of another.
*Make the Cholas and Yue non-playable, essentially placeholders, until the appropriate civilizations appear.

-Placement of new resources:
Kangaroo - Australia as far as I know, will look into this for placement (larger concentrations)
Tyrian Purple - Will probably have the greatest concentration in the Mediterranian, but I think a couple of other species that produce a similar dye will be scattered in areas where the native specie in question is present.
MOAR MINERALS - Cross reference with this map I found. http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpo...&postcount=312

Terrain placement: (Thought I was done this. :/ )
I think this was done in a previous change.
- More Barren.
- Need to fill in a blotch of 'Ocean' with 'Tropical Ocean' south of Brazil. Off the coast of Rio de Plata (I believe)
Been a few months now.
Would be good to get a final version done. Then you can lean back in your chair and go 'aaah'.

I'm probably going to be going through the resources and taking some away. Mainly to open up space, and the other because I want to stimulate trading between 2 nations. Maybe make resources less far reaching such as limiting silk to China only.I can't do much about iron/copper/oil etc (resources that will be there without human intervention) but the more natural resources.
Of course I'm not going to take TOO much away from places that need them such as Europe which has a lot of non-native plantlife, such as wheat and barley.

I just want to open up space, and I can always use terrain now to substitute the food loss taking away resources might bring.
Essentially I want to encourage Imperialism and Trade when that period of time opens up.

My personal opinion is so, that i need this natural resources to hold my people happy. I allways play with "minors civs" and a long time i not can trade. I play GEM because it is realistic in landscape and ressources, like near east with oil. i find you have enought space to expand and set the new resources. like i say, my opinion.

Are you gonna do this?
Map information:
- Change the start date from 40000BC to 50000BC. (ls612)

Civilizations:
We're at 50, any new ones come at the expense of another.
*Make the Cholas and Yue non-playable, essentially placeholders, until the appropriate civilizations appear.

-Placement of new resources:
Kangaroo - Australia as far as I know, will look into this for placement (larger concentrations)
Tyrian Purple - Will probably have the greatest concentration in the Mediterranian, but I think a couple of other species that produce a similar dye will be scattered in areas where the native specie in question is present.
Geodes(Added by Acularius)
MOAR MINERALS - Cross reference with this map I found. http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpo...&postcount=312

Terrain placement: (Thought I was done this. :/ )
I think this was done in a previous change.
- More Barren.
- Need to fill in a blotch of 'Ocean' with 'Tropical Ocean' south of Brazil. Off the coast of Rio de Plata (I believe)
Been a few months now.
Would be good to get a final version done. Then you can lean back in your chair and go 'aaah'.
There will never be a final version. [Probably tweaks though]
I also noticed Geodes, on the master list, of things I need to sprinkle around as well. I noticed them when trying a random map.
On the SVN, I swear its at 50kBC start. (Or at least the ones in the SVN are, all 3 versions)

My personal opinion is so, that i need this natural resources to hold my people happy. I allways play with "minors civs" and a long time i not can trade. I play GEM because it is realistic in landscape and ressources, like near east with oil. i find you have enought space to expand and set the new resources. like i say, my opinion.
The Middle East will probably stay just as rich and I don't TRULY plan to cut down finite resources such as iron, just tone down resources to try and encourage more trade (if a peaceful game) or Imperialism (if a more war-bent game).
Right now I like what I see, but I want to encourage more plausible developments (Not rail track it mind you, but try to get things working better. :D)

Just another thought -- I've been playing the GEM map for a very long game (74 hours total time, and I still don't completely control the starting Americas yet). Would it be possible to cut down on the amount of coral in the Caribbean? It feels like there are far too few safe spots for ships to rest.

Yeah coral is a b!tch, played a game as Aboriginals on snail, took about 30+ galleys to get into Indonesia. Whenever I finally made it out of the coral a shark or something would kill me lol

After awhile I was just like omg screw this and got a stack of like 10 ships instead of sending like 2 or 3 at a time.

Since V27 is about to come out this weekend I wanna know if this map (the pre-columbian one with 50 civs) is compatible with this version? Did you add new ressources or terrain-types and -features that are not in this version of the map?

Since V27 is about to come out this weekend I wanna know if this map (the pre-columbian one with 50 civs) is compatible with this version? Did you add new ressources or terrain-types and -features that are not in this version of the map?

As far as I know, the map is still very compatible with v27. There are new resources that I have not included in the map yet... however, my laptop with the version I was hoping to release Sunday is in for repairs. Which would've given me the weekdays for bug catching with the map. (The 'I done goof' parts)

I had toned down coral, but not enough that Indonesia is easily accessible. (I want to give Australia some challenge, since the place is a fairly easy place to start from... or the AI does remarkably well with that continent... and if the AI can do it, the player shouldn't have a problem. Moreso in the Caribbean, since those islands are rather tiny.

I think 'Henna' and 'Indigo' were added, which I haven't truly looked into yet. I know Egypt will have Henna, and I think Malinese Africa had Indigo (off the top of my head).

I'm still around guys, Hope GEM is playable for V27.
Always up for discussion. Keep up the great work, cause C2C GEM is awesome, and C2C is going to hit escape velocity soon and get noticed in a big way. You all have a part in making it great.
Thanks for your positive words, and support. I look forward to creating great things with you.
Acularius, you continue to do an amazing job, and one way we can all pitch in to help is to notice what needs to be improved and updated and mention it here.
All someone need do to help is make a comment, I'm sure we all appreciate discussion and help.
I'm glad to share my help and opinion when I can.
Glad to see the guys from the MapTeam still helping here and there, glad to see you here.
Keep up the excellent work and don't forget the discussion and people in the GEM development threads in their project forum.
Take care. Looking forward to what you all do next!

Hands down best map and best mod, makes C2C feel like Civ 6 already.

Hands down best map and best mod, makes C2C feel like Civ 6 already.
Correct. I have thought the same. It is what Civ 5 should have been.

Gone over the 'Resource' page of the Civilopedia, I'm not that far behind.
A majority of the work will simply be me replacing existing resources with replacements such as Indigo and Henna for Dye and Vanilla for some spices.

The hardest part will be to cross reference the fossil buildings in terms of creation. Easiest being the mammoth ones, and the more difficult being the more 'dinosaur' ones.

Which leads me to a wonder idea, Royal Tyrrell Museum, which is a amazing collection of fossils and a leading center of paleontology.

Can someone go over the list and see if I missed anything?

@Acularius

I assume this is the GEM map that comes with C2C. I noticed that the land doesn't match up with the spawn points of animals. When I started out in Africa I expected to see African animals. Sure I had elephants and camels but only because they spawn from resources. The rest of the animals were from South America. This tells me that the GEM map is not properly lined up with the correct Earth map coordinates.

Is there a way to shift the entire globe to the west so that South America lines up with the correct animal spawns?

I just hunted one in the Gobi Desert so, yeah they dispersed quite a bit^^ Oh wait maybe that was a desert tortoise, sry for misinformation...

@Acularius

I assume this is the GEM map that comes with C2C. I noticed that the land doesn't match up with the spawn points of animals. When I started out in Africa I expected to see African animals. Sure I had elephants and camels but only because they spawn from resources. The rest of the animals were from South America. This tells me that the GEM map is not properly lined up with the correct Earth map coordinates.

Is there a way to shift the entire globe to the west so that South America lines up with the correct animal spawns?

BeginMap
grid width=210
grid height=90
top latitude=75
bottom latitude=-60
wrap X=1
wrap Y=0
world size=WORLDSIZE_GIGANTIC
climate=CLIMATE_TEMPERATE
sealevel=SEALEVEL_MEDIUM
num plots written=18900
num signs written=0
Randomize Resources=false
EndMap

Unless there is a definition for longitude to put in here, and I won't mind experimenting...
I'm thinking it has something to do with the wrap function, and the longitude would come forth from that.
Although I'm pretty sure that the number value coming after wrap X= is a true/false value and not the actual plot where 0 longitude would be set...

Past that, I think I would personally have to shift the map.
Latitude was simple enough because it has a set definition. XD

Top Bottom