Adolf Hitler

Status
Not open for further replies.

alireza1354

Emperor
I would like to have Hitler as a possible German leader to choose. Since the game came out, I was really perplexed there wasnt a Hitler.

What would he be? AGG - IND, I guess.. Cant it be fixed?

Thnx peepz!

I think Hitler in RoM wouldn't be the rise of mankind but rather its downfall. Just my 2 german cents...

Back to the topic: post this in the mod-mod-request-thread maybe and let this awful thread fall off quite fast...

I would like to have Hitler as a possible German leader to choose. Since the game came out, I was really perplexed there wasnt a Hitler.

What would he be? AGG - IND, I guess.. Cant it be fixed?

Thnx peepz!

There is a very good reason why there is no Hitler. Many countries forbidden any connection with him.
Maybe you sould ask modmodders to make A.H. mod.

Mmm, I suppose Hitler would create some curious situations.. Jewish Germany..

Apart from that he wasn't a bad leader, if it wasn't for his 'weird' ideology..
Decieving should be a trait..

Adding civ flavours for civics & religious choices could prevent the weird choices of civics & religions.
Guess this could only become a modmod since some are not tolerant for this leaderhead :p
Let's not talk about the 'Supremacy' civic ^^

Hitler is in GeneralStaff's leaderhead pack. It's fairly easy to install. Just drag and drop...

I'm playing with it right now, so I guess I won't be visiting Germany any time soon. (Sorry DRJ.)

I got him! Great to finally have such a historic figure in Civ with all the others.

Personally I don't see what is this "taboo" with certain people on here about hitler. Fact he was a genocidal dictator , but then so was stalin, so was Pol pot and many others that had great influence in historical events. It's disrespectful to history trying to smother his existence out of the past. They were not the last of their kind nor WILL THEY BE THE LAST!

I got him! Great to finally have such a historic figure in Civ with all the others.

Personally I don't see what is this "taboo" with certain people on here about hitler. Fact he was a genocidal dictator , but then so was stalin, so was Pol pot and many others that had great influence in historical events. It's disrespectful to history trying to smother his existence out of the past. They were not the last of their kind nor WILL THEY BE THE LAST!

I agree!

Normalizing Hitler etc. is certainly not the right way to go.

By relativizing those people and their political arms, still present in nowadays modern society (germany "NPD", britain "BNP", france "front national"- and even growing (as in times of crisis people tend to listen to dumbasses) the consumers drift to get more cynical, detached and even indifferenced.

I think there are a few moves that shouldn't be made - cause even if only the "good" ones make them, it helps the "bad" ones in the end: as there is to be mentioned that the presentable first becomes the respectable and -it's only a short step- the acceptable in the end ...

By relativizing those people and their political arms, still present in nowadays modern society (germany "NPD", britain "BNP", france "front national"- and even growing (as in times of crisis people tend to listen to dumbasses) the consumers drift to get more cynical, detached and even indifferenced.

I think there are a few moves that shouldn't be made - cause even if only the "good" ones make them, it helps the "bad" ones in the end: as there is to be mentioned that the presentable first becomes the respectable and -it's only a short step- the acceptable in the end ...

But making Hitler a taboo subject idolizes him more than if he was an ordinary historical figure. Isn't it ironic, that Hitler, who employed propaganda and censorship during is reign, is censored now? Because everyone in Europe generally tries to forget about it, and not bring it up, Hitler becomes more cult like and interesting to newer generations. If he was put in exactly the same light as Ghengis Khan, or any other historical mass murderer, people would realize that he was really not that unique.

Banning free speech often has the opposite of the intended effect.

So what? hardcore communists still see in no harm to stalin's policies in former USSR territories...(Remember the recent communist China parades? :) ) As a matter of fact they are still organized TODAY , much like "BNP" of UK and "NDP" in Germany. But no matter, that's irrelevant and we are not talking about history in the making, we are focused on the past and people who committed much historic altering events regardless if it's "politically correct" or not.

People in time of dispair will listen to anyone who will offer them a shred of hope and a solution...it's the twisted human nature and caste we have. :)

I agree with Afforess :blush:

Most of the "great" leaders people can name from history are only famous due to their military campaigns. Hitler was more recent in history and in living memory of some, but at the end of the day its only a game and as leaders are listed if they have been influential or recognisable in world history, then Hitler is no different.

But making Hitler a taboo subject idolizes him more than if he was an ordinary historical figure. Isn't it ironic, that Hitler, who employed propaganda and censorship during is reign, is censored now? Because everyone in Europe generally tries to forget about it, and not bring it up, Hitler becomes more cult like and interesting to newer generations. If he was put in exactly the same light as Ghengis Khan, or any other historical mass murderer, people would realize that he was really not that unique.

It's not about tabooing, it's about showing sensibility!

The fascist ideology, which he incorporates, and the holocaust he is responsible for represent an unique example of how horrific ideology can take effect.

Of course each era has its villians, due to the circumstances of powershifts in society and superstition - but let's be honest: after mankind was enlightened, made scientific advances, after humanism and democracy were in place (in the so called country of the "Dichter und Denker" - poets and thinkers), a fallback to the babaric and deathly code poses a singularity in history. Its industrial proportions and the unhuman, mechanical way the mass murder was organized are outstanding, especially as an excelling warning from the near past to the near future.

Banning free speech often has the opposite of the intended effect.

It's not about banning free speech, it's about debunking very, very bad taste.

It's not about banning free speech, it's about debunking very, very bad taste.

I can prove that you are wrong, with this thread as proof. If Hitler wasn't a taboo subject, this thread would have never been made, and we would have never had this conversation. No one would have cared one iota whether Hitler was in this mod or not, if he wasn't so politicized.

Everytime you restrict freedom, freedom of any kind, you become more like Hitler. Ironic, in a way.

I can prove that you are wrong, with this thread as proof. If Hitler wasn't a taboo subject, this thread would have never been made, and we would have never had this conversation. No one would have cared one iota whether Hitler was in this mod or not, if he wasn't so politicized.

Everytime you restrict freedom, freedom of any kind, you become more like Hitler. Ironic, in a way.

Not necessarily hitler, but a dictator with political motivation. ;)

I believe hitler ( and remember it's not just one man that makes the political construct of the whole power structure) was and believed the exact opposite of what he and his propaganda machine manifested. He had good psychologists on his team that knew what majority of germany (and like-minded individuals) desired, and it was an opportunity for them to execute their agenda. So unless DRJ hires a propaganda network to brainwash us, he will never even come close to hitler. :)

That's not true. If you let Nazis roam free, like in the Weimar Republic, they take power, first in small provincial aeras, like happening in eastern germany right now, where they establish "national extricated zones" (you shouldn't show up there if you're black). It's only 60 year ago and the $hit is back to blow (Stg. Pepper...). You absolutely have to set borders or something can happen very quick.

I can only quote me:

as there is to be mentioned that the presentable first becomes the respectable and -it's only a short step- the acceptable in the end ...

Showing bad taste in a video game is the first step: it's presentable and consumeable in a unsensible way. The inconceivable is accepted in the midst of "normality".

Secound step is that masses tend to say: yeah, maybe they are right after all, and we need a strong leader blabla. They become respectable in mass opinion, media follows as they smell profit, feeding the demand (did I mention capitalism and fascism are brother and sister?).

And then they take over. :nuke:

I guess then DRJ must belong to the minority that regrets the Berlin wall ever fell. :)

Approving the ending a dictatorship of undemocratic systems like USSR and GDR doesn't necessarily mean you endorse the installation of a brown mindsetted shadow on the wall (by appeasing towards it) as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom