AG13 - OCC Demigod

great going so far. a horse rush to take them on, we are lucky with that choke I think can easily set up a defense there. razing some towns would give us hopefully some slaves as well. 1 worker is a little pathetic

Preturn: Polytheism is known. I trade it for 128 gold from Persia. I would trade for the worker myself. I don't think it would hurt the AI and it we could use it for a Horse colony, but thats just my opinion. I respect the previous post and don't buy it. We can certainly live without it.

Early:
We get the GLib -> Library -> Spear

Build the Spear to block settlers from getting too close. I want them a bit farther away from the capitol

Mid:
Gilgamesh demands Literature. We give in.
Decide to give the rest of the AI Lit as well. That way he won't gain gold from the steal and they have nothing worth trading. The AI all go to Gracious.

Temple->Worker->Harbor

End:
Trade for a worker since it is after 1000BC and build a Horse Colony.

Horse->Horse->?

Trade our Silks to Inca for Ivory and 72 gold.
Get Math from the GLib.

Notes:
Hmm. I just noticed I miscalculated. I was supposed to stop in 875 not 825. Oops. Next player could take 18 to even things out.

We can disband our 2 warriors soon. I just want to see where we pop to up north now the city has expanded.

We can build units (costing us more gold), Wealth (for more money we can't yet spend), or Temple of Artimis.
We are at +16 gold so we have some gold for units. Problem is the only one I would want to beat up is Sumeria and a stack of horsemen doesn't seem sufficient. Since we can't claim land we don't want to beat up the Hittites in my book as we want the AI as balanced as possible in strength.

I wouldn't mind allying everyone vs the Sumerians and taking a stack of Horse and cats spear to damage them in any way we can. I would feel better if we damaged them early. Ideal timing would be right after we can build a market for more gold for the allying part. Sumeria could easily become a single dominant AI and we all know where that would leave us. :suicide:

microbe said:
With the GLib, we can continue to pump units till it expires, with occasional building of market or happiness buildings.
We need to decide HOW we want to win. We make 21 culture in 825BC. We are in excellent shape to go for 20K.

I would take 20K culture as Silver medal win. Demigod and 20K is a challenge with a empire, yet alone one lousy city.

I tried to build the Temple and Library quickly with 20K in mind. I think we want to keep it open and build Culture Buildings as soon as we get the tech. Not sure if we can get the Temple of Artimis. We could try - we may be able to switch to something else. My only worry is Sumeria. Will we have to interfere to keep them from winning?

I like us to go for conquest or space. The culture option is there when we find out that the other wins are not possible at all. In fact, I rather win UN while we tried conquest or space than culture without trying. We still have to get our UU, extremely powerful for a long period.

I like the idea of allying against the Sumerians (when we are ready!). They are not our closest neighbours, so we are not in direct danger in case of a war.

Next turn we will get Republic. So we need to revolt.

ROSTER (15 turns in peace time, 10 turns when at war):
Aggie ------ on deck
microbe
ThERat
Gyathaar
Greebley --- just played
LKendter --- up

So, to make my position clear: I rather see us building troops now than the ToA. Naturally we should build the marketplace and other useful improvements when we can.

The only reason for me to add culture and UN as possible wins is the fact that our emperor game was so close. It was especially difficult to keep ourselves into the tech race at the end of the industrial age. However, without wanting to underestimate the fact that things will get tougher later on we are looking at a very healthy situation right now. We are tech frontrunners and we get our free tech very soon. We should be able to reach our Sipahi while still ahead our close to the tech leaders. A well-timed GA may make it possible to advance into the Industrial Age ahead. And this may lead to us getting ToE. But now I'm planning a bit ahead I think :) We naturally also have interest in the Knight's Templar and Shakespeare. That said, Shakespeare would need us to deviate from the required techs to advance. Something we possibly can't afford.

Imho our first big decision is whether or not we try to grab Copernicus and/or Newton. These are only a bit useful for conquest but very useful for Space. That said, getting Copernicus on demigod -the wonder that probably will end up in a cascade- is very difficult anyway.

I like the idea of allying against the Sumerians (when we are ready!). They are not our closest neighbours, so we are not in direct danger in case of a war.
agree with this plan. I don't really like us to build horses since we waste a lot of shields. but with this set up we have no chance unless we want to create an archer rush.

[edit] didn't see your latest post, Aggie. yes, your long term plan sounds great. if it goes all that well, that is. Shakespeare is truly a great wonder for our situation, but we would need to broker techs to get there, I don't think we would want to research those techs ourselves.

ThERat said:
I don't really like us to build horses since we waste a lot of shields. but with this set up we have no chance unless we want to create an archer rush.

I do understand that we can produce more than 15 spt. So that would mean that building horses is wasting these shields. How do we counter this? Can we emphasize a few tiles on gold (coastal squares) and get more income instead of shields above 15 spt? I say this without access to the save...

EDIT: I don't like archers. Besides them being slow we really want horses to upgrade to knights and then sipahi.

I say this without access to the save...
ok, for you: currently we have this situation:

max shield will be 24 spt at 33 gpt (once we grow to 12 next turn and if we would mine that hill)
working ocean doesn't help since that river gives us the commerce bonus already
so we are wasting 18 shields for every horse built and I don't think there is much we can do about it

edit: for knights this will be ideal at 70s with 24spt. we need 3 turns wasting only 2s.
for sipahi at 100s we can mine a cow and have 25spt, perfect actually
once we hit 12 pop, we should not forget to do that to get to 25spt

What happens when we turn into a republic
oh man, I do all the calculations forgetting that we are in despotism :gripe:

ok based on republic we get this scenario:

29spt (if both cows are mined)
16spt, if we maximise commerce. (work those ocean and river tiles only)

that's a nice thing to play with depending on what we want to build

ThERat said:
ok based on republic we get this scenario:

29spt (if both cows are mined)
16spt, if we maximise commerce. (work those ocean and river tiles only)

that's a nice thing to play with depending on what we want to build

These are all good analysis, but strategic decisions need to be made regardless of the micromanagement, so it really doesn't matter. If we go to war, we have to build horsemen or swordsmen.

Umm.. in republic:
city square (industrious on BG) : 3s 2f
4x mined BG: 8s 8f
3x mined hills: 9s 3f
2x mined cow: 4s 8f
3x forest: 6s 3f

this should give 30shields at 0 extra food at size 12 if I am not wrong (?)

city square (industrious on BG) : 3s 2f
Gyathaar, sounds all good BUT for the city square, that gives only 2s 2f. small difference, big effect. anyway when we build horses, we simply maximise commerce and generate 17s.
but, if we really revolt next turn, lets build a unit that finished in 1 turn before we revolt. a spear?

If i am correct we should irrigate some normal grass tiles so we can have some extra growth and fill up the food bin when we dont need 30spt (so we can pop some workers if needed)

Top Bottom