Ages of Man: the GENERAL DISCUSSION thread

Spaz did you get G&K already (with all the sales and such)? Or do you still need it?

Yes, I just bought it on sale for $7.49. Haven't actually PLAYED it yet, let alone update my mods to be compatible with it, but I've got it.

Real Life's going to be keeping me from having too much free time for the next week or so, but I'm not going anywhere for Christmas this year so I'll have plenty of time to work on the mods. Figure the first working version will be during that vacation, although there's still a LOT that can go wrong between now and then.

Wait for the source code for the DLL for the latest patch (1.2.0.21) to be released (due in the next few days according to drcane over on the 2K forums), as the old code doesn't work with the new patch.

There are some Warhammer 40k unit model floating around, perhaps you could use them for your future units?

Yes, I just bought it on sale for $7.49. Haven't actually PLAYED it yet, let alone update my mods to be compatible with it, but I've got it.

Well, because you are going to update your mod with G & K, why I have gone out and gotten a copy of G & K as well. Once you do get the mod updated and want some help playtesting let me know and I will help out in the future eras.

D

Well, because you are going to update your mod with G & K, why I have gone out and gotten a copy of G & K as well.

One of us... one of us...

Once you do get the mod updated and want some help playtesting let me know and I will help out in the future eras.

My top priority is just to get all three mods to function at the most basic level, running without crashing and with all of the essential combat bits (like nuke interception) working correctly. I'm in the middle of that process now; it's not going too badly, but it might be a week or two before I have something worth passing onto the rest of you. (I've got family coming into town for this upcoming weekend, so I won't have much time to mod for a bit.) Once that's done, I'll focus on fine-tuning the balance changes affecting the Ascension mod (like all those new Industrial/Modern units and policy changes); that sort of thing I'll need quite a bit of feedback on.

Once that's done, it's onto a significant overhaul for the Mythology content, incorporating the new religion system into it. That stuff probably won't happen until Christmas vacation; I'm not going anywhere for the holiday, so I'll have a lot more time to mod. I'll post a lot more in the Mythology thread once I get into the nuts and bolts of this one.

dinobot386 said:
There are some Warhammer 40k unit model floating around, perhaps you could use them for your future units?

When the first WH40k mods started appearing, I'd inquired about the possibility of using a couple of its unit models. The short answer (by the person doing the conversions) was no, so I've since focused on updating Civ4 futuristic models instead.

And honestly, Warhammer just doesn't have the right aesthetic, barring the power armor units. Most of the heavy human units are just too... unrefined, I guess. They look low-tech even if they're very advanced. Same goes for the Orks, just even more so. The Eldar, on the other hand, are too "clean" in their units, too focused on aesthetics, and have too many instantly identifiable design quirks.
What I wanted was something in between. Units that looked like something we'd make, with smooth lines and rounded edges, but without the superfluous bits that'd instantly label them as coming from a certain source. If you look at the units I've converted already, you'll see that sort of thing come up a lot; the Stealth Ship looks like what you'd get if you tried to make a submarine into more of a surface ship, the Needlejet is a wedge-shaped aircraft, and the Gravship model (the Norn battlecruiser from Babylon 5) has a nice appearance while still looking like something mechanical. And the Combat Mech, obviously, is the Marauder from BattleTech (yes, I know it was from Robotech first, but I played a LOT of BattleTech in the old days).

looking forward to playing your mod, as I jumped on the civ5 bandwagon only afte G&K release ( and quickly got bored due to lack of depth ) :D

With the DLL, is it going to be easier to implement new units? Also will you be able to make it compatible with other mods like R.E.D.? (also do you think you will be able to convert units from Age of Mythology into your mod?)

I don't know, I don't know, and I don't know.

I've barely started learning what the DLL can do; at the moment I'm basically relying on what others have done with it. (Like the combat events.) I've been a software developer before, so it's not about an inability to modify the code, but I just haven't had TIME to get too far into it. That means that, at the moment, I'm reliant on the old and VERY flaky pipeline for unit models, and RED compatibility might not happen soon. (Or more specifically, it'll happen the moment someone else figures out how to make mods compatible with RED.)

I'd absolutely LOVE to use those AoM unit models; they were a bit low on poly counts and such, but still very easily identifiable. They're inside a compressed "bar" file, but AoM has been modded by a lot of folks, so there are extraction utilities that can convert the files into something usable by general 3D modeling programs. My long-term goal is to convert those models, although I was holding off on that until the mod itself was fully functional.
Also, realize that less than half of the Mythology units were drawn from AoM. AoM had no elementals, and the Pantheon units for four of my seven pantheons have no counterparts. So I'm still going to have to get models from other sources, like Civ4 fantasy mods.

With the DLL, is it going to be easier to implement new units? Also will you be able to make it compatible with other mods like R.E.D.? (also do you think you will be able to convert units from Age of Mythology into your mod?)
R.E.D. is designed to allow compatibility with other mods that add units based on existing models (or simply change units stats) without messing with the scale, but for mods that add completely new units models (or rewrite parts of the art defines of an existing model), the compatibility is possible but has to be set in R.E.D.

That said, the incompatibility should only be shown by scaling incoherence (or at worst no ethnic units from R.E.D. at all), there shouldn't be any crash.

Try both when a new version of Spatz's mod is released, and ask in R.E.D. folder for fix if needed.

My top priority is just to get all three mods to function at the most basic level, running without crashing and with all of the essential combat bits (like nuke interception) working correctly. I'm in the middle of that process now; it's not going too badly, but it might be a week or two before I have something worth passing onto the rest of you.

OK, two bugs I've identified that you may or may not have already fixed:

1. when I conquer an enemy city my happiness goes up instead of down. If I save off the game, go back to main menu, and reload the save game, my happiness then (correctly) goes down. Example: I just conquered London in my current game and my happiness went from -1 to +8. I saved the game, went to the main menu and reloaded, and now my happiness is at -10. Somewhere there appears to be a sign transposed in regards to how happiness is calcuated regarding conquered cities.

2. See pic below on the number of turns it takes to build something these days.

D

Attachments

• Its gonna take a while.jpg
    Its gonna take a while.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 283
Have you considered making the new unit types (Titan, Energy, Myth, etc.) into promotions that give them the same strengths/weaknesses they have now and turning them into "normal" units until you can get the game to display proper animations for new unit types?

Since the DLL is out you should have more than enough room for the promotions to do this.

Just so you know, I'm still working on this. It just got sidetracked for the last few days due to holiday stuff. (Also, Kerbal Space Program.) I'll have some work-related things coming up for the next couple of weeks, but I have a lot of free time in that period, so there WILL be a new mod posted soon.

Have you considered making the new unit types (Titan, Energy, Myth, etc.) into promotions that give them the same strengths/weaknesses they have now and turning them into "normal" units until you can get the game to display proper animations for new unit types?

No. I mean, yes, I considered it, but doing that would really screw up a few other things. Realize, I have six custom Combat Classes for units: Myth, Psi, Energy, Multirole, Orbital, and Titan. One in the myth mod, and the other five in Ascension; the five later ones weren't created because I just wanted to make new classes, they were created because the existing classes didn't have the characteristics I needed, or had other limitations.

Some unit types (and the Trance promotions) give a bonus against Psi units. Changing Psi units to be some other unit type, and solely using a promotion to denote their "Psi" status would break this. The same goes for Myth units; the entire Hero mechanism would break if this happened... unless we gain the ability to make a promotion that gives a bonus against another unit with a specified promotion. (I'm sure we could do this with the DLL.) This is why Hero units ARE normal units with a Hero promotion stacked on; I wanted them to be vulnerable to all of the usual anti-whatever promotions. For Titans, the problem is the reverse: I made them a new combat class type in part because I wanted them to NOT be susceptible to any anti-X promotions; you can make anti-armor units, or anti-infantry units, but nothing gets a bonus against a Titan.

Then there are the promotion issues. Promotions are made available to units based on their combat class, so if Fighter units can't pick ground-attack promotions, and Bomber units can't pick anti-air promotions, then what do I do with my Multirole units, which have access to both sets? (And remember that Jet Fighters and Stealth Bombers both upgrade to Needlejets, so making those be only one type would lead to other problems.) Titans and Myths needed both ranged and melee options, although that's a lot less problematic since I merged the two lines. And then there are Orbitals, which are air units but whose promotion list is a lot closer to the Siege set; if I made them Siege units outright, they'd have access to certain promotions that make no sense for an air unit.

Pretty much the only combat class that wouldn't have issues is Energy, since they're basically just an updating of Gunpowder units. While I wanted them to not be susceptible to anti-Gun units, and to be eligible for a few promotions previously limited to armor or helicopter units, I can compensate for that in other ways.

Since the DLL is out you should have more than enough room for the promotions to do this.

This will be a big part of my upcoming design changes. That is, once I post the "functional" version of the mod, I'm going back and work on doing it "right". A big part of this redesign is breaking up some previous promotions into multiple parts. For instance, the Psi promotion (which all members of the Psi combat class have) gives a bunch of abilities; besides the ability to adjust strength dynamically, they also have x2 XP gain but no great general points, can move through borders, and so on. Now that the promotion cap is gone, I can split these into multiple promotions and make the Psi units a bit more distinct.

Of course, giving every unit more promotions means more icons on the screen, but I'd already updated the unit panel UI to be able to display ~20 promotions instead of the usual 11, so it should still be fine.

Just so you know, I'm still working on this. It just got sidetracked for the last few days due to holiday stuff. (Also, Kerbal Space Program.) I'll have some work-related things coming up for the next couple of weeks, but I have a lot of free time in that period, so there WILL be a new mod posted soon.

No. I mean, yes, I considered it, but doing that would really screw up a few other things. Realize, I have six custom Combat Classes for units: Myth, Psi, Energy, Multirole, Orbital, and Titan. One in the myth mod, and the other five in Ascension; the five later ones weren't created because I just wanted to make new classes, they were created because the existing classes didn't have the characteristics I needed, or had other limitations.

Some unit types (and the Trance promotions) give a bonus against Psi units. Changing Psi units to be some other unit type, and solely using a promotion to denote their "Psi" status would break this. The same goes for Myth units; the entire Hero mechanism would break if this happened... unless we gain the ability to make a promotion that gives a bonus against another unit with a specified promotion. (I'm sure we could do this with the DLL.) This is why Hero units ARE normal units with a Hero promotion stacked on; I wanted them to be vulnerable to all of the usual anti-whatever promotions. For Titans, the problem is the reverse: I made them a new combat class type in part because I wanted them to NOT be susceptible to any anti-X promotions; you can make anti-armor units, or anti-infantry units, but nothing gets a bonus against a Titan.

Then there are the promotion issues. Promotions are made available to units based on their combat class, so if Fighter units can't pick ground-attack promotions, and Bomber units can't pick anti-air promotions, then what do I do with my Multirole units, which have access to both sets? (And remember that Jet Fighters and Stealth Bombers both upgrade to Needlejets, so making those be only one type would lead to other problems.) Titans and Myths needed both ranged and melee options, although that's a lot less problematic since I merged the two lines. And then there are Orbitals, which are air units but whose promotion list is a lot closer to the Siege set; if I made them Siege units outright, they'd have access to certain promotions that make no sense for an air unit.

Pretty much the only combat class that wouldn't have issues is Energy, since they're basically just an updating of Gunpowder units. While I wanted them to not be susceptible to anti-Gun units, and to be eligible for a few promotions previously limited to armor or helicopter units, I can compensate for that in other ways.

This will be a big part of my upcoming design changes. That is, once I post the "functional" version of the mod, I'm going back and work on doing it "right". A big part of this redesign is breaking up some previous promotions into multiple parts. For instance, the Psi promotion (which all members of the Psi combat class have) gives a bunch of abilities; besides the ability to adjust strength dynamically, they also have x2 XP gain but no great general points, can move through borders, and so on. Now that the promotion cap is gone, I can split these into multiple promotions and make the Psi units a bit more distinct.

Of course, giving every unit more promotions means more icons on the screen, but I'd already updated the unit panel UI to be able to display ~20 promotions instead of the usual 11, so it should still be fine.

Great news.Care to tell when can we enjoy that?

Great news.Care to tell when can we enjoy that?

When it's done!

More seriously, I'm in the middle of it now. I've got the UI elements updated and the gross XML conflicts ironed out, but I need to actually play it through once or twice to make sure nothing else is broken. This'd also include a few adjustments to units' power levels, to match the changes made in G&K with the addition of the new unit types.
And unfortunately, I have a talk to give on Monday, followed by a conference until Thursday, so I won't have a lot of time to test the mod. I'm hoping to get it working this weekend, but if I can't get it fully functional by Sunday night, then you'd have to wait until the next weekend.

On the bright side, I've decided not to wait on a few changes on my list, and am putting them into this first version instead of waiting for the next one. Lots of little tuning things, a few more promotions, a few more custom events, that sort of thing.

When it's done!

More seriously, I'm in the middle of it now. I've got the UI elements updated and the gross XML conflicts ironed out, but I need to actually play it through once or twice to make sure nothing else is broken. This'd also include a few adjustments to units' power levels, to match the changes made in G&K with the addition of the new unit types.
And unfortunately, I have a talk to give on Monday, followed by a conference until Thursday, so I won't have a lot of time to test the mod. I'm hoping to get it working this weekend, but if I can't get it fully functional by Sunday night, then you'd have to wait until the next weekend.

On the bright side, I've decided not to wait on a few changes on my list, and am putting them into this first version instead of waiting for the next one. Lots of little tuning things, a few more promotions, a few more custom events, that sort of thing.

Awesome! I assume it will not work with Steam Workshop though...

No. When it's released, it'll be posted here, in the FILES thread. It's simple to install mods that way, assuming you know where your directories are, but it means that all version updates have to be applied by hand. I won't be using the Steam Workshop any time soon, if ever.

Top Bottom