Resource icon

AI+ v13.1

Siesta Guru updated AI+ with a new update entry:

v5

v5 now out!

It includes:
- Better terrain improvement
- More trade routes
- Reintroduced long distance strikes for civs on islands. (land-unit based)
- Added new 'expansionist' civs (England, Spain, Russia, Brazil, Scythia) on top of the vanilla Rome.
- Added Brazil and England to cultural civs (on top of the vanilla: France, Greece (both leaders), Kongo, America)
- Added Sumeria to the scientific civs (see older changes)
- Added Spain to the militaristic civs
- Added France as a...

Read the rest of this update entry...

hi, i downloaded the mod 2 days ago and just wanted to give my opinion on it if it would help.
i know this is kinda alot and also i know that lot of these things might not be fixable as of yet but still just saying as a reminder for later to think about.

so i've been playing a game using this mod and i'm in modern era right now with 2 win conditions being religious and domination in king difficulty. i think its much better than the vanilla AI but still needs work but i can't really tell what needs to be fixed. idk it just does not feel right... i've seen AI seems to be focusing on districts much more buildings too they do use the adjacent bonus. i'm using a builder mod though so i can't comment on that part cuz im not sure, im using BetterBuilders mod and i did see some improved tiles but wasn't sure how it works exactly.
as i saw in the twitch streams that devs did on civ6 AI civs constantly declare war on eachother and when they see that there's no point they declare peace this is what the AI does and in all of my games i've seen that... but vs. a player once u go black u never go back so the AI would be dominated by the player and the player is left with all this war weariness in modern era rushing for victory type other than domination. so i would suggest on this that make it so that AI would rarely declare war on players or anyone else for that matter if they have a lot of cities or cities with good defensive buildings.
i know that if u have enough troops they would not declare war as they would be scared but the AI can't realize the potential and sees that player has only 700 unit strength vs. his 1500 so he declares war little did he know that before he brings his units to attack they would die. so ion this i would suggest that make them see the treasury gold (if the target can buy units or not) see the districts and productions and walls and to see the technology... just let them realize that they should no attack a target they cannot defeat. well they do know that but just bring the that knowing threshold lower so would not think think of others as weak.
i mean in my case a AI civ with 250 score and 1300 unit strength tried to attack me with around 500 score with 850 unit strength and now they are defeated and i didnt even want war to begin with i was just trying a religious victory for the first time.
also in this game that i've been playing, i got denounced 2 times by scythia who's stuck above me in tundra with like 8 cities with 2 populations, just because we had different governments so this is really making it hard for us to be friends.
i do couple of request though and first it would be that add the broken promise by AI penalty as an advantage for the player... i mean there are numerous times that the AI would promise something but do the opposite. the religious converting, spying settling and so on...in this game with ur mod summeria just asked for a resident embassy and i accepted and just several turns later he declared war on me (this could be AI's deception on me just saying for info).
about he religious converting: so the AI accepts ur request to stop converting but they still spread the religion to ur cities (in my case they used several apostle charges on my captured cities) cuz they are technically not converting the city religion but just spreading to have followers. so this is kinda a smart move and i don't really know how i feel about this. i mean its not unbalanced at all as we can just hire inquisitors... but i said this to get to another point... before i got this mod i played a game with England and in that game Rome captured Amsterdam and i captured it from rome but when i built the archaeologist museum i had 3 slots instead of 6 which is England's trait and i did build it after i got the city.... could this be that AI does not recognize the captured cities as players own city ? and i'm sure the first 4 cities that players has settled by a settler have special values for AI civ even if they are not as good as some other captured cities. i mean i got this Amsterdam when i had 2 cities and i settled my 3rd and 4th after that but still when i was testing stuff out in trading and negotiations the AI always preferred my 3rd and 4th city over Amsterdam which was in better condition than even my capital. so yes again i think this is not usual. hope u can check somehow to how the captured cities are and whats their status.
i dont rly remember anything else now :crazyeye: holly sh!t i wrote alot. sry but rly hope u read this or at least show it to someone who could maybe try out stuff so we get a better idea of what is going on.

Last edited:
I have had no problems with settler behavior or tile improvements since the most recent update. I've played two full games since, and the AI has expanded intelligently and upgraded their cities, units, and tiles quickly and efficiently. Anyone whose AI is still acting strange comparatively should ensure they're using the most updated version of the mod, and that no other AI mods are conflicting.

I should mention, though, that I also use the Smoother Difficulty mod, and highly recommend it. It ensures a more challenging game throughout as opposed to a ridiculous and sometimes simply unfair Ancient/Classical era followed by a snoozefest Medieval era and onwards. I've played alot of games with alot of mods, and strongly believe that AI+ plus Smoother Difficulty provides the best and most challenging/satisfying AI to play against.

edit: the only problems I'm still witnessing are the one's involving combat/pillaging as reported above, but they're performing FAR more competently than the base game where they rarely upgrade their units, and just suicide into you or get kited turn after turn.

Deity with AI+ is still not very difficult if you're a competent or experienced Civ player, but it is MUCH better and MUCH more enjoyable. However, a moderate level player is going to find Deity difficult using this mod. A new player to the franchise is going to get steamrolled.

Anyone looking for Deity to be extremely difficult for advanced players is going to be disappointed, mod or official patch or otherwise. It's simply a limitation of the format. Players are always going to be able to game and manipulate a turn based structure better than a computer.

Afterall, it's not like Civ V is really any better, even now all these years later. You have to do a 1v2, 3, or 4 Deity AI to get much of a challenge.

Thanks for the intel, I was still playing with v3, and as my previous post (the one with screens) showed, AI just did dumbest job at (not) improving tiles with workers.
I do play with smoother difficulty too.
The only thing where I disagree : in civ5 (with bnw) I would most of the time lose on deity, no addon needed, so I played most of my games on the one below (immortal if I remember correctly). I understand some player could find it easy, but I'm not that good I guess. In civ6, for the first time, I find no challenge even on deity level, even with smoother addon, and with ai+ v3. Hope it changed with v4-5.

Sidenote : I think a good way to test the ai+ mod is playing with latest starting era. The bonuses on tech/culture already allow the ai to be competitive on science etc. and I feel putting more cheat bonuses here wouldn't make the game interesting (winning with slingers against tanks is hard, but not really fun-hard). So it allows to focus on what the AI does about gold/prod/expansion/military/improvement etc. Giving it +120% on both gold and prod should be enough. I feel like if the AI dont improve tiles or if its units just run around, making it +5000% won't really correct the problem :D Which is the goal of this mod (from what I understand). Well all this just to say : hey testers, could you test it more often with starting in latest era, cause my own free time is small and I can't/dont really want to do 1 testing game every week.

Keep up the good work Siesta, and (imho) don't get too much distracted at having new features in the mod, just fixing the worst aspects of AI (but fixing them really, not the way firaxis did it) should be priority #1

Great mod man! Started my game with me and 12 AI-s, everything was great untill 253 turns. Playing on king with Russia, everything felt great, China was spreading their cities like crazy and they were not the only one. Was first for cultular victory and 3rd in science output. Personaly, game was harder for me with this mod (but I like a good challenge) and AI was spreading like crazy. I have been in war little bit, because China spread all around my border and I captured some of their cities. Seems to me, they were too busy to build more cities and they forgot to build some walls :) Sadly, game chrashes after 253 turns. Don't know why that happens. I use this and yet another maps pack mod but after I try next turn, game crashes so I can't get past 253 turns. I replaced v4 with v5, same thing. If anyone have some suggestion, what should I do, please, feel free to share them :)

check your database log in C:\Users\yourname\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Logs it will tell you what causes the crash

About that wall thing, i've experienced that too where AI cities would not prioritize the defensive buildings like walls... i defeated 2 major civs cuz they didnt build walls even though all of their cities had at least 2 districts even a city crumbling in the desert tiles had commercial district but no wall. and i do believe that vanilla AI prioritizes wall over any other defensive measures so i think u should take a look at this issue. to be clear they chose not to build walls even after classical era and after they lost several cities.

Yea, seems AI just likes to spread, they spam settlers but don't build enough army for new founded cities or walls often :) Hmm, so I checked database log, not sure what this all means...
[1838555.369] [Localization]: Validating Foreign Key Constraints...
[1838555.370] [Localization]: Passed Validation.
[1838555.376] [Configuration]: Validating Foreign Key Constraints...
[1838555.377] [Configuration]: Passed Validation.
[1838556.501] [FullTextSearch]: Initializing FullTextSearch
[1838557.230] [Gameplay]: Validating Foreign Key Constraints...
[1838557.242] [Gameplay]: Passed Validation.
[1838558.582] [Configuration]: Validating Foreign Key Constraints...
[1838558.582] [Configuration]: Passed Validation.
[1838619.753] [Gameplay]: Validating Foreign Key Constraints...
[1838619.765] [Gameplay]: Passed Validation.
[1838629.881] [FullTextSearch]: FTS - Creating Context
[1838630.352] [FullTextSearch]: FTS - Creating Context
[1838632.992] [FullTextSearch]: FTS - Creating Context
That is all I could find in database log.

Last edited:
Hi friends, I use a4, change it to a5 in the registered voting a5 mode will work properly?
Otherwise I will have to open the game from the beginning ?

Hi there. I have been using this mod for a couple of days, and here are my observations (v4):
The AI is expanding like crazy, no news there, but it seems to be simply putting cities down on the first available plot much of the time, with no thought to water access. I would suggest keeping the changes that get the AI to build settlers, but then let it use the default settings on where to found them. Also, you probably need to think about getting the AI to stop producing settlers once it has filled up the available good spots. I've spent enough time on AIs over the years to know that this isn't easy to balance out, but I think this is where you need to focus on sometime.
Great work so far; I hope this helps you out.
Btw, where are the files that contain these settings? I've looked everywhere and can't find more than a couple of them.
Finally, I'm putting together a Medmod for the game, and would love to include your work, with your permission.
There are so many things about civ 6 that are an improvement over the previous games, but two things were almost ruining it. They were 1) the AI's reluctance to spread, and 2) not upgrading its troops. You've pretty much fixed the first one, so this is indeed great work on your part. If you let me know where these settings are located, I'll try and help you out any way I can. I'm not a programmer, but I've been modding games for about 20 yrs now, so I hope my previous experience will be worth something.

I've noticed that the AI is good at taking other AI cities. This led me to the idea that if the player, for purposes of the AI code, could be seen as another AI it may help the AI take player cities. Thoughts?

hi, i downloaded the mod 2 days ago and just wanted to give my opinion on it if it would help.
i know this is kinda alot and also i know that lot of these things might not be fixable as of yet but still just saying as a reminder for later to think about.

so i've been playing a game using this mod and i'm in modern era right now with 2 win conditions being religious and domination in king difficulty. i think its much better than the vanilla AI but still needs work but i can't really tell what needs to be fixed. idk it just does not feel right... i've seen AI seems to be focusing on districts much more buildings too they do use the adjacent bonus. i'm using a builder mod though so i can't comment on that part cuz im not sure, im using BetterBuilders mod and i did see some improved tiles but wasn't sure how it works exactly.
as i saw in the twitch streams that devs did on civ6 AI civs constantly declare war on eachother and when they see that there's no point they declare peace this is what the AI does and in all of my games i've seen that... but vs. a player once u go black u never go back so the AI would be dominated by the player and the player is left with all this war weariness in modern era rushing for victory type other than domination. so i would suggest on this that make it so that AI would rarely declare war on players or anyone else for that matter if they have a lot of cities or cities with good defensive buildings.
i know that if u have enough troops they would not declare war as they would be scared but the AI can't realize the potential and sees that player has only 700 unit strength vs. his 1500 so he declares war little did he know that before he brings his units to attack they would die. so ion this i would suggest that make them see the treasury gold (if the target can buy units or not) see the districts and productions and walls and to see the technology... just let them realize that they should no attack a target they cannot defeat. well they do know that but just bring the that knowing threshold lower so would not think think of others as weak.
i mean in my case a AI civ with 250 score and 1300 unit strength tried to attack me with around 500 score with 850 unit strength and now they are defeated and i didnt even want war to begin with i was just trying a religious victory for the first time.
also in this game that i've been playing, i got denounced 2 times by scythia who's stuck above me in tundra with like 8 cities with 2 populations, just because we had different governments so this is really making it hard for us to be friends.
i do couple of request though and first it would be that add the broken promise by AI penalty as an advantage for the player... i mean there are numerous times that the AI would promise something but do the opposite. the religious converting, spying settling and so on...in this game with ur mod summeria just asked for a resident embassy and i accepted and just several turns later he declared war on me (this could be AI's deception on me just saying for info).
about he religious converting: so the AI accepts ur request to stop converting but they still spread the religion to ur cities (in my case they used several apostle charges on my captured cities) cuz they are technically not converting the city religion but just spreading to have followers. so this is kinda a smart move and i don't really know how i feel about this. i mean its not unbalanced at all as we can just hire inquisitors... but i said this to get to another point... before i got this mod i played a game with England and in that game Rome captured Amsterdam and i captured it from rome but when i built the archaeologist museum i had 3 slots instead of 6 which is England's trait and i did build it after i got the city.... could this be that AI does not recognize the captured cities as players own city ? and i'm sure the first 4 cities that players has settled by a settler have special values for AI civ even if they are not as good as some other captured cities. i mean i got this Amsterdam when i had 2 cities and i settled my 3rd and 4th after that but still when i was testing stuff out in trading and negotiations the AI always preferred my 3rd and 4th city over Amsterdam which was in better condition than even my capital. so yes again i think this is not usual. hope u can check somehow to how the captured cities are and whats their status.
i dont rly remember anything else now :crazyeye: holly sh!t i wrote alot. sry but rly hope u read this or at least show it to someone who could maybe try out stuff so we get a better idea of what is going on.

Thanks for all your feedback! Lots of good stuff in here. Sadly this is basically all stuff that is completely in the dll code and out of my control for now. Hopefully some firaxis dev sees it though. It may be worth putting the archeologist museum issue with england in the bug forum at least.

"More trade routes" - what does this mean exactly? What the AI not maxing their traders before?

That's right. Especially in later eras if it happened to build more commercial districts. One huge problem for balancing AI building preferences is that since the combat values for units ramp up, and it chooses its desires for units based on combat values, it progressively starts liking combat units more and more over things like builders and traders for which it has equal desires throughout the game.

Thanks again Siesta!
What is meant by "better terrain improvement"?
Is the reintroduction of long distance strikes purely for civs on islands or might civs on one continent attack civs on another continent?
Either way, can't wait to try your latest version!

Better terrain improvement mostly means a significant boost to builder production and slightly better prioritization of these improvements. The long strikes are purely for civs who match an in-dll function called 'Is on island', which might end up returning true if say an Ai takes over an entire continent. I'm not sure yet, since that's rather rare.

Thanks for the intel, I was still playing with v3, and as my previous post (the one with screens) showed, AI just did dumbest job at (not) improving tiles with workers.
I do play with smoother difficulty too.
The only thing where I disagree : in civ5 (with bnw) I would most of the time lose on deity, no addon needed, so I played most of my games on the one below (immortal if I remember correctly). I understand some player could find it easy, but I'm not that good I guess. In civ6, for the first time, I find no challenge even on deity level, even with smoother addon, and with ai+ v3. Hope it changed with v4-5.

It should be a little harder, but there are definitely no miracles here. With v5 up, it feels to me now that the non-diplomacy part of the AI is getting kind of comparable to the civ 5 BNW ai, but the deity bonuses are significantly lower here, more on part with immortal in civ 5. Production is the most important stat in civ 6, and it gets+80% compared to the +100% in civ 5. But since the AI here doesn't properly use its policies (which I cant seem to change sadly), the deity AI often effectively has similar or even lower production than humans.

Sidenote : I think a good way to test the ai+ mod is playing with latest starting era.
Might try some of that in some future testing, thanks for the suggestion.

Keep up the good work Siesta, and (imho) don't get too much distracted at having new features in the mod, just fixing the worst aspects of AI (but fixing them really, not the way firaxis did it) should be priority #1

Rather limited unfortunately to what I can fix without the dll. Unless I end up figuring out some new way of affecting AI behavior with lua at some point, I think it's already slowly heading towards hitting a limit of what I can do.

About that wall thing, i've experienced that too where AI cities would not prioritize the defensive buildings like walls... i defeated 2 major civs cuz they didnt build walls even though all of their cities had at least 2 districts even a city crumbling in the desert tiles had commercial district but no wall. and i do believe that vanilla AI prioritizes wall over any other defensive measures so i think u should take a look at this issue. to be clear they chose not to build walls even after classical era and after they lost several cities.

Alright, thanks, I'll keep the wall thing in mind and see if there's anything I can do. I haven;t changed wall desire itself, so it seems to be a result of increasing desire on other things, I'll try exploring what it is. It may be they stopped teching masonry, or that it just prefers troops over walls now.

Yea, seems AI just likes to spread, they spam settlers but don't build enough army for new founded cities or walls often :) Hmm, so I checked database log, not sure what this all means...

Your log is what you get when it thinks nothing is wrong. Try looking in some of the other logs that can tell whats up. If I recall correctly, moddling.log can show some stuff, as can gamecore.log

Hi friends, I use a4, change it to a5 in the registered voting a5 mode will work properly?
Otherwise I will have to open the game from the beginning ?

To install the new mod youll have to exit to desktop, replace the files, then load the game and select the mod again. If you're still within a game, I'd recommend just playing it out if you want to continue it before installing the new version.

Hi there. I have been using this mod for a couple of days, and here are my observations (v4):
The AI is expanding like crazy, no news there, but it seems to be simply putting cities down on the first available plot much of the time, with no thought to water access. I would suggest keeping the changes that get the AI to build settlers, but then let it use the default settings on where to found them. Also, you probably need to think about getting the AI to stop producing settlers once it has filled up the available good spots. I've spent enough time on AIs over the years to know that this isn't easy to balance out, but I think this is where you need to focus on sometime.

It actually prefers water here on a similar level as in vanilla, so that's not really the thing here. You'll usually see 90% of their cities next to rivers/coast, with the 10% being mostly fill-up cities. What does happen sometimes is that since it tends to settle its free settlers a little earlier, they sometimes haven't found any good river spots yet and end up just plopping it down somewhere.
I actually have a system in place too that significantly reduces their desire to settle when 'all spots are taken', it's just that I have to rely on a firaxis written function to determine whether 'all spots are taken', and it isn't really accurate a lot of the time. There's also a bit of a coincidental thing in there that reduces their desire to settle over time (the combat strength issue I mentioned higher up in this post).

Btw, where are the files that contain these settings? I've looked everywhere and can't find more than a couple of them.

Which settings do you mean? If you mean in the vanilla gamefiles, most of the AI stuff is scattered through leaders.xml, agendas.xml, behaviortrees.xml (have a look at Delnars guide if you want to comprehend this), operations.xml, victories.xml and tactical.xml.
If you're talking about settling behavior in my mod. Most of it is in core.xml (look for moddedsettlespot, allow_expansion, the expansionist stuff, settler pseudoyields and the expansion flavor), with some in military.xml (settler team and the settler operation), and some in behaviortrees.xml (the altered settler behaviortree).

Finally, I'm putting together a Medmod for the game, and would love to include your work, with your permission.
There are so many things about civ 6 that are an improvement over the previous games, but two things were almost ruining it. They were 1) the AI's reluctance to spread, and 2) not upgrading its troops. You've pretty much fixed the first one, so this is indeed great work on your part. If you let me know where these settings are located, I'll try and help you out any way I can. I'm not a programmer, but I've been modding games for about 20 yrs now, so I hope my previous experience will be worth something.

Sure, feel free to include it if you keep it up to date. If you end up finding out anything cool that appears to be missing, or have some other cool suggestions I'd be delighted to hear them of course! Especially if you find any unique things that can be done through lua, still hoping to make that transition at some point.

I've noticed that the AI is good at taking other AI cities. This led me to the idea that if the player, for purposes of the AI code, could be seen as another AI it may help the AI take player cities. Thoughts?

So far I've not seen it treat these differently and doubt there's anything significantly different atm. The AI just isn't very good at defending yet, so that's why you're seeing that.(I've worked more on attacking so far).

tried this out today just on prince to test it out. didn't seem to make any different to me. ai was still stuck with old tech units as well as CS and they hardly expanded. in fact Norway only built 3 cities the whole game.

In the middle of my first game w/ v5 and seeing mixed results as far as expansion, but overall positive. Emperor difficulty @ turn 136, all AIs except 1 have >6 cities, China has the max = 10).

Here's the bad: Russia still has only 2 cities and his capital is only *2* pop. He has 4 idle settlers within view (possibly more in the fog) and another 2 he lost to barbarians that I captured, plus another I had captured before that outside screen shot. So that's at least 7 extra settlers he didn't use. w/ settler lens on, you can see there is plenty of decent fresh water locations to settle. The only reason I can think of are the barbs he still hasn't been able to beat. So it might again be a result of the "AI not escorting their settlers properly" issue. He builds a settler, sends it off alone, gets captured. Knowing there are barbs out there, he holds off the other settlers around his capital. A few turns later he *thinks* it is safe again to send off a settler unescorted, and then loses to barbs again. Rinse and repeat for 136 turns..

P.S. 2 turns later he built ANOTHER settler and sent it to join the other 4 to camp around Smolensk..

Last edited:
tried this out today just on prince to test it out. didn't seem to make any different to me. ai was still stuck with old tech units as well as CS and they hardly expanded. in fact Norway only built 3 cities the whole game.

in my experience AI if has the technology will build new improved units but they will not upgrade the old units from past eras like i a game i had previously France had Garde Imperial units and also several Warrior corps... or in in other case scythia was building Caravels but they never upgraded their Galleys... but still im not sure on this and im gonna play another game tomorrow and if they upgrade units i'll say it here later ... but i would suggest on this that prioritize upgrading units much more than building if possible cuz they also keep their earned xp this way.

In the middle of my first game w/ v5 and seeing mixed results as far as expansion, but overall positive. Emperor difficulty @ turn 136, all AIs except 1 have >6 cities, China has the max = 10).

Here's the bad: Russia still has only 2 cities and his capital is only *2* pop. He has 4 idle settlers within view (possibly more in the fog) and another 2 he lost to barbarians that I captured, plus another I had captured before that outside screen shot. So that's at least 7 extra settlers he didn't use. w/ settler lens on, you can see there is plenty of decent fresh water locations to settle. The only reason I can think of are the barbs he still hasn't been able to beat. So it might again be a result of the "AI not escorting their settlers properly" issue. He builds a settler, sends it off alone, gets captured. Knowing there are barbs out there, he holds off the other settlers around his capital. A few turns later he *thinks* it is safe again to send off a settler unescorted, and then loses to barbs again. Rinse and repeat for 136 turns..

P.S. 2 turns later he built ANOTHER settler and sent it to join the other 4 to camp around Smolensk..

i don't think this is because of this mod if one civ can build cities others can too... but in this its because of the city placement and being in a no food zone where they cant build farms and in deserts so they would starve after a certain point and stop the growth. this is usual in tundra and deserted cities.
although if that was a player city can grow anywhere cuz we can trade better so u gotta work on that to make cities realize the alternatives for city grow instead of just spamming farms.
and about those settlers... as u can see Russia's second city is near Brazil so im sure they asked to stop settling therefore they can settle above their territory but the south is also inhospitable but they have no choice they is early game it seems so they probably didn't explore much to find better places. (this exploring is is another issue! or lack of exploring i should say).

Still can't find solution to my problem. Tried to look at modding log and gamecore log but I'm not sure what to search there and log is too long to copy here for someone to read it. Tried to jump into my game today same thing, after 253 turns, game chrashes. I think yet another maps pack does not conflict with this mod. This is just last paragraph of my modding log...
Game configuration matches target configuration.
[1924552.441] Status: Successfully reconfigured game.
[1924560.859] Status: Configuring game content
[1924560.859] Status: Current Configuration:
[1924560.859] Status: Mods:
[1924560.859] Status: 02A8BDDE-67EA-4D38-9540-26E685E3156E
[1924560.859] Status: Target Configuration:
[1924560.859] Status: Game configuration matches target configuration.
[1924560.859] Status: Successfully reconfigured game.
[1924565.410] Status: Modding Framework - Shutting down framework.

Thanks for the feedback! Your explanation is probably accurate that it's the presence of the barbarians causing this. It's awkwardly hard to get to the settlers to do what would be desirable. They're either too skittish, or too bold, and often both at the same time. It's mostly because the tools used here are basically blind to basically any relevant points of data. The AI doesn't really 'see' that it already has settlers out, and will gladly build more if it still sees spots available. If for some reason it never gets to these spots, well, it keeps thinking it should build settlers and does what you're experiencing.
The human solution to having tons of barbs block their preferred spot, is to send a bigger escort or to clear a camp. the AI solution is to say 'woops, my escort is too small, so lets run back, then try again so that we can run back once more, oh look we still have a spot available, lets build a settler'. It also uses its escorts in mostly bizarre ways, it will consider a warrior 3 tiles behind or 4 tiles ahead as its escort and think that everything is fine and secure.
It's possible to define larger minimum escorts, but that isn't a real fix (it'l still do this), and it causes other issues like it waiting forever to get the right amount of units to settle 4 spots away. Or it will send 4 units along with a settler to a destination 15 tiles away while their capital is under attack. Same thing with increasing the desire to attack barbarian camps, it's going to decide to do that 2 turns after launching an invasion on someone.

in my experience AI if has the technology will build new improved units but they will not upgrade the old units from past eras like i a game i had previously France had Garde Imperial units and also several Warrior corps... or in in other case scythia was building Caravels but they never upgraded their Galleys... but still im not sure on this and im gonna play another game tomorrow and if they upgrade units i'll say it here later ... but i would suggest on this that prioritize upgrading units much more than building if possible cuz they also keep their earned xp this way.

It does upgrade units, but you're right in that it seems very inconsistent. This is partially for reasonable reasons, such as not having the funds or the resources available, but yeah, often itll just have a bunch of warriors for no discernible reasons.

@kalmah999

If that's the last paragraph, neither of your mods seem to have loaded. It should give a list of all the mods in that type of output, and the only one it mentions is the aztecs 'mod'. But not sure without the entire thing, could you share the entire modding.log file somehow? You can pm it or put in spoiler tags.

Spoiler modding.log :

[1924498.372] Status: Initializing Modding Framework.
[1924498.372] Status: C:/Users/Zola/Documents/My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization VI/Mods.sqlite
[1924498.373] Status: Connected to modding database!
[1924498.373] Status: Ensuring Foreign Key support is enabled and set to initially deferred.
[1924498.373] Status: Checking database version...
[1924498.373] Status: Modding database is up-to-date!
[1924498.373] Status: Loading Stored Procedures...
[1924498.374] Status: Checking required procedures exist...
[1924498.374] Status: Initializing Services...
[1924498.374] Status: Component Discovery Service initialized.
[1924498.374] Status: File Service initialized.
[1924498.374] Status: Localization Service initialized.
[1924498.374] Status: Mod Discovery Service initialized.
[1924498.374] Status: Mod Loader Service initialized.
[1924498.374] Status: Mod Selection Service missing. Skipping.
[1924498.374] Status: Properties Service initialized.
[1924498.374] Status: Subscription Service - Detected 0 subscriptions
[1924498.374] Status: Subscription Service initialized.
[1924498.374] Status: User Data Service missing. Skipping.
[1924498.374] Status: Services initialized!
[1924498.374] Status: Modding Framework is initialized.
[1924498.374] Status: Discovering new mods...
[1924498.377] Status: Finished Discovery.
[1924498.377] Status: Discovery Summary:
[1924498.377] Status: Deleted 0 mods.
[1924498.377] Status: Discovered 0 mods.
[1924498.525] Status: Bootstrapping game content
[1924498.525] Status: Loading Vanilla DLL.
[1924498.527] Status: Building gameplay database.
[1924498.961] Status: Initializing Vanilla DLL.
[1924499.050] Status: Instantiate GameCore UI Manager.
[1924499.050] Status: Saving a debug version of the gameplay database.
[1924500.144] Status: Successfully bootstrapped game content.
[1924500.146] Status: Mods - Loading Data/Aztec_Montezuma_ConfigData.xml
[1924500.146] Status: Mods - Loading Data/Aztec_Montezuma_GameplayData.xml
[1924500.146] Status: Mods - Loading Data/Building_Huey_Teocalli.xml
[1924500.146] Status: Mods - Loading Configuration/Config.xml
[1924500.146] Status: Mods - Loading Configuration/ConfigText.xml
[1924500.146] Status: Mods - Loading Gameplay/CityNameByEra.xml
[1924500.146] Status: Mods - Loading Gameplay/GamePlay.sql
[1924500.146] Status: Mods - Loading Gameplay/GamePlay.xml
[1924500.146] Status: Mods - Loading Gameplay/GamePlayText.xml
[1924500.147] Status: Mods - Loading Gameplay/Map_GiantEarth.xml
[1924500.147] Status: Mods - Loading Gameplay/Map_GreatestEarthMap.xml
[1924500.147] Status: Mods - Loading Gameplay/Map_LargestEarth.xml
[1924500.147] Status: Mods - Loading Gameplay/Map_PlayEuropeAgain.xml
[1924500.147] Status: Mods - Loading Gameplay/Resource.xml
[1924500.147] Status: Mods - Loading Gameplay/Tables.sql
[1924500.147] Status: Mods - Loading Maps/GiantEarth.lua
[1924500.147] Status: Mods - Loading Maps/GreatestEarthMap.lua
[1924500.147] Status: Mods - Loading Maps/LargestEarth.lua
[1924500.147] Status: Mods - Loading Maps/PlayEuropeAgain.lua
[1924500.147] Status: Mods - Loading Override/AssignStartingPlots.lua
[1924500.147] Status: Mods - Loading Rules/LimitEuro.sql
[1924500.147] Status: Mods - Loading Rules/LimitOldWorld.sql
[1924500.147] Status: Mods - Loading Rules/NewCityStates.sql
[1924500.147] Status: Mods - Loading Rules/NewCityStatesTexts.sql
[1924500.147] Status: Mods - Loading Rules/Rules_1.sql
[1924500.148] Status: Mods - Loading Rules/Rules_2.sql
[1924500.148] Status: Mods - Loading Rules/Rules_3.sql
[1924500.148] Status: Mods - Loading Scripts/YnAMP_Script.lua
[1924500.148] Status: Mods - Loading Scripts/YnAMP_Utils.lua
[1924500.389] Status: Configuring game content
[1924500.389] Status: Current Configuration:
[1924500.389] Status: No active mods.
[1924500.389] Status: Target Configuration:
[1924500.389] Status: Mods:
[1924500.390] Status: 02A8BDDE-67EA-4D38-9540-26E685E3156E
[1924500.390] Status: Yet (not) Another Maps Pack (36e88483-48fe-4545-b85f-bafc50dde315)
[1924500.390] Status: Game configuration needs to change to match target config.
[1924500.390] Status: Performing pre-configure processing.
[1924500.390] Status: Rebuilding configuration database.
[1924500.390] Status: Localization database unchanged, no rollback needed.
[1924500.390] Status: Configuration database unchanged, no rollback needed.
[1924500.390] Status: Applying settings.
[1924500.390] Status: Modding Framework - Apply Settings
[1924500.390] Status: Creating database save point.
[1924500.390] Status: ModdingUpdateConfigurationDatabase - Loading Data/Aztec_Montezuma_ConfigData.xml
[1924500.391] Status: Successfully released save point.
[1924500.391] Status: Creating database save point.
[1924500.391] Status: ModdingUpdateConfigurationDatabase - Loading Configuration/Config.xml
[1924500.393] Status: Successfully released save point.
[1924500.393] Status: Creating database save point.
[1924500.393] Status: LocalizedText - Loading Configuration/ConfigText.xml
[1924500.395] Status: Successfully released save point.
[1924500.395] Status: Modding Framework - Finished Apply Settings
[1924500.965] Status: Successfully reconfigured game.
[1924517.623] Status: Configuring game content
[1924517.623] Status: Current Configuration:
[1924517.623] Status: Mods:
[1924517.624] Status: 02A8BDDE-67EA-4D38-9540-26E685E3156E
[1924517.624] Status: Yet (not) Another Maps Pack (36e88483-48fe-4545-b85f-bafc50dde315)
[1924517.624] Status: Target Configuration:
[1924517.624] Status: Mods:
[1924517.624] Status: 02A8BDDE-67EA-4D38-9540-26E685E3156E
[1924517.624] Status: Yet (not) Another Maps Pack (36e88483-48fe-4545-b85f-bafc50dde315)
[1924517.624] Status: Game configuration matches target configuration.
[1924517.624] Status: Successfully reconfigured game.
[1924520.789] Status: Configuring game content
[1924520.789] Status: Current Configuration:
[1924520.789] Status: Mods:
[1924520.789] Status: 02A8BDDE-67EA-4D38-9540-26E685E3156E
[1924520.789] Status: Yet (not) Another Maps Pack (36e88483-48fe-4545-b85f-bafc50dde315)
[1924520.789] Status: Target Configuration:
[1924520.789] Status: Mods:
[1924520.789] Status: 02A8BDDE-67EA-4D38-9540-26E685E3156E
[1924520.789] Status: Yet (not) Another Maps Pack (36e88483-48fe-4545-b85f-bafc50dde315)
[1924520.790] Status: Game configuration matches target configuration.
[1924520.790] Status: Successfully reconfigured game.
[1924524.695] Status: Configuring game content
[1924524.695] Status: Current Configuration:
[1924524.695] Status: Mods:
[1924524.695] Status: 02A8BDDE-67EA-4D38-9540-26E685E3156E
[1924524.696] Status: Yet (not) Another Maps Pack (36e88483-48fe-4545-b85f-bafc50dde315)
[1924524.696] Status: Target Configuration:
[1924524.696] Status: Mods:
[1924524.696] Status: 02A8BDDE-67EA-4D38-9540-26E685E3156E
[1924524.696] Status: Yet (not) Another Maps Pack (36e88483-48fe-4545-b85f-bafc50dde315)
[1924524.696] Status: Game configuration matches target configuration.
[1924524.696] Status: Successfully reconfigured game.
[1924527.273] Status: Configuring game content
[1924527.273] Status: Current Configuration:
[1924527.273] Status: Mods:
[1924527.273] Status: 02A8BDDE-67EA-4D38-9540-26E685E3156E
[1924527.273] Status: Yet (not) Another Maps Pack (36e88483-48fe-4545-b85f-bafc50dde315)
[1924527.273] Status: Target Configuration:
[1924527.273] Status: Mods:
[1924527.274] Status: 02A8BDDE-67EA-4D38-9540-26E685E3156E
[1924527.274] Status: Yet (not) Another Maps Pack (36e88483-48fe-4545-b85f-bafc50dde315)
[1924527.274] Status: Game configuration matches target configuration.
[1924527.274] Status: Successfully reconfigured game.
[1924530.042] Status: Configuring game content
[1924530.042] Status: Current Configuration:
[1924530.042] Status: Mods:
[1924530.042] Status: 02A8BDDE-67EA-4D38-9540-26E685E3156E
[1924530.043] Status: Yet (not) Another Maps Pack (36e88483-48fe-4545-b85f-bafc50dde315)
[1924530.043] Status: Target Configuration:
[1924530.043] Status: Mods:
[1924530.043] Status: 02A8BDDE-67EA-4D38-9540-26E685E3156E
[1924530.043] Status: Yet (not) Another Maps Pack (36e88483-48fe-4545-b85f-bafc50dde315)
[1924530.043] Status: Game configuration matches target configuration.
[1924530.043] Status: Successfully reconfigured game.
[1924546.309] Status: Configuring game content
[1924546.309] Status: Current Configuration:
[1924546.309] Status: Mods:
[1924546.309] Status: 02A8BDDE-67EA-4D38-9540-26E685E3156E
[1924546.309] Status: Yet (not) Another Maps Pack (36e88483-48fe-4545-b85f-bafc50dde315)
[1924546.309] Status: Target Configuration:
[1924546.309] Status: Mods:
[1924546.310] Status: 02A8BDDE-67EA-4D38-9540-26E685E3156E
[1924546.310] Status: Yet (not) Another Maps Pack (36e88483-48fe-4545-b85f-bafc50dde315)
[1924546.310] Status: Game configuration matches target configuration.
[1924546.310] Status: Successfully reconfigured game.
[1924547.708] Status: Configuring game content
[1924547.708] Status: Current Configuration:
[1924547.708] Status: Mods:
[1924547.708] Status: 02A8BDDE-67EA-4D38-9540-26E685E3156E
[1924547.708] Status: Yet (not) Another Maps Pack (36e88483-48fe-4545-b85f-bafc50dde315)
[1924547.709] Status: Target Configuration:
[1924547.709] Status: Mods:
[1924547.709] Status: 02A8BDDE-67EA-4D38-9540-26E685E3156E
[1924547.709] Status: Yet (not) Another Maps Pack (36e88483-48fe-4545-b85f-bafc50dde315)
[1924547.709] Status: Game configuration matches target configuration.
[1924547.709] Status: Successfully reconfigured game.
[1924549.010] Status: Configuring game content
[1924549.010] Status: Current Configuration:
[1924549.010] Status: Mods:
[1924549.010] Status: 02A8BDDE-67EA-4D38-9540-26E685E3156E
[1924549.010] Status: Yet (not) Another Maps Pack (36e88483-48fe-4545-b85f-bafc50dde315)
[1924549.010] Status: Target Configuration:
[1924549.010] Status: Mods:
[1924549.010] Status: 02A8BDDE-67EA-4D38-9540-26E685E3156E
[1924549.010] Status: Game configuration needs to change to match target config.
[1924549.010] Status: Performing pre-configure processing.
[1924549.010] Status: Rebuilding configuration database.
[1924549.011] Status: Reverted Localization database to its original state.
[1924549.011] Status: Reverted Configuration database to its original state.
[1924549.011] Status: Applying settings.
[1924549.011] Status: Modding Framework - Apply Settings
[1924549.012] Status: Creating database save point.
[1924549.012] Status: ModdingUpdateConfigurationDatabase - Loading Data/Aztec_Montezuma_ConfigData.xml
[1924549.012] Status: Successfully released save point.
[1924549.012] Status: Modding Framework - Finished Apply Settings
[1924549.392] Status: Successfully reconfigured game.
[1924550.824] Status: Configuring game content
[1924550.824] Status: Current Configuration:
[1924550.824] Status: Mods:
[1924550.824] Status: 02A8BDDE-67EA-4D38-9540-26E685E3156E
[1924550.824] Status: Target Configuration:
[1924550.824] Status: Mods:
[1924550.824] Status: 02A8BDDE-67EA-4D38-9540-26E685E3156E
[1924550.824] Status: Game configuration matches target configuration.
[1924550.824] Status: Successfully reconfigured game.
[1924552.441] Status: Configuring game content
[1924552.441] Status: Current Configuration:
[1924552.441] Status: Mods:
[1924552.441] Status: 02A8BDDE-67EA-4D38-9540-26E685E3156E
[1924552.441] Status: Target Configuration:
[1924552.441] Status: Mods:
[1924552.441] Status: 02A8BDDE-67EA-4D38-9540-26E685E3156E
[1924552.441] Status: Game configuration matches target configuration.
[1924552.441] Status: Successfully reconfigured game.
[1924560.859] Status: Configuring game content
[1924560.859] Status: Current Configuration:
[1924560.859] Status: Target Configuration:
[1924560.859] Status: Game configuration matches target configuration.
[1924560.859] Status: Successfully reconfigured game.
[1924565.410] Status: Modding Framework - Shutting down framework.

That is whole modding log, hope it helps :)

Okay so I don't know if this is just a weird coincidence or not but I've been playing a game with v5 on a huge map, and for the entirety of the game not a single AI has built a theater district at any point. There are literally hundreds of cities on the map yet not a single one. All of them are still at 0 writer/artist/musician points. I can't help but find this rather suspicious

Top Bottom