Alexander - Prince Level

mikew633

Chieftain
Hi all,

I am still a rookie to the Prince level and am trying to improve my play at this difficulty. I play with random leaders and this time got Alexander. I am playing on a Standard size Big & Small Continents at Normal speed.

Here is my start:

Spoiler :

A very good start. I am thinking move 1E to pick up the fish and avoid having that grassland hill I will be unable to improve without a galley. However, doing that would make me unable to work Clam OR Fish until turn 6 (I think?) at the border pop. A SIP would give me some extra commerce for those first 5 turns. What do you guys think?

Also, upon reviewing Alexander's traits, I am considering an early Phalanx rush, considering they can't be countered with Chariots, and also the fact I have the Aggressive trait. I could also aim for Aesthetics to pick up The Parthenon and further my Great Person generation as I am Philosophical. Although I might need to wait a few turns and see what my surrounds are before deciding on a strategy.

I have also attached the beginning save. As always, all comments/critiques are appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• mikew633 BC-4000_Alexander.CivBeyondSwordSave
    35.8 KB · Views: 36
  • Screen shot 2011-10-09 at 10.20.44 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2011-10-09 at 10.20.44 PM.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 129
And the save you've attached seems to be a lie.

I suggest moving your scout onto the forested hill 2 N of his current position before you decide where to settle. I don't really share your enthusiasm with this start though; lot's of junky coast tiles. I'd consider GLH/Colossus rex and merchant farming.

A very good start. I am thinking move 1E to pick up the fish and avoid having that grassland hill I will be unable to improve without a galley. However, doing that would make me unable to work Clam OR Fish until turn 6 (I think?) at the border pop. A SIP would give me some extra commerce for those first 5 turns. What do you guys think?

As a rookie - finessing the start is the wrong sort of thing to be worrying about. SIP and get on with it.

That said, 1E isn't awful. You lose the river, which probably isn't a big deal. You might block yourself out from a nice goodie off the coast to the east.

You might also consider setting 2E, which has the advantage of a plains hill.

As for the clams or fish - no, don't worry about what ring they are in, because you aren't going to work them until they have been improved. You should be starting with either a work boat or a worker from the get go, and that means food+hammers. The fish tiles sacrifice too many turns.

Quick math - the commerce from the fish/clams means 14 :science: per turn instead of 12. the production penalty is 3 instead of 4, which means that many more turns to get your first unit out. MUCH better to pound out that first unit so that you can start improving the terrain.

Ok so I settled 1E. I am building a Worker first, and had started on Mining when my Scout found a village to the NW which gave me Mining!

Here is the current view:

Spoiler :

So I am now considering either Bronze Working or Animal Husbandry as my next tech. With AH I can begin working the Cows, but BW would let me chop the forests and also let me possibly start a Phalanx rush (pending a source of Copper) on my nearest neighbor (yet undiscovered). The Phalanx rush would also benefit from my Aggressive trait. As far as the build queue, I think I will build a Work Boat after my Worker.

What do you guys think?

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-10-10 at 10.47.59 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2011-10-10 at 10.47.59 PM.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 198
Shadowed to lib
Spoiler :
I build the Great Lighthouse, I wanned to Oracle Metal Casting but I didn't make it to Pottery in time. So I Oracled Monachry for some happyness and Blubed Metal Casting with a Great Merchent. Build the Colossos. You are isolated with about 20 cities to settle. -> Expand ad infinitum. I met the others and they are about as big and advanced as I am. However they can't cope with having huge multi island empires so you can just Invade them naval. I automated workers and production since 1 AD Result 1600AD lib :D. Still this map wins itself.

Attachments

• mikew633 AD-1600.CivBeyondSwordSave
    335.6 KB · Views: 39
Top Bottom