All Things Harry Potter

My only quibble with it is that they would not have had an electric lamp in the house, as wizards don't use electricity.
What about Ron's radio? The one he and Harry get into a fight over because Harry is sick of hearing the bad news and Ron wants to hear news of his siblings.

What about Ron's radio? The one he and Harry get into a fight over because Harry is sick of hearing the bad news and Ron wants to hear news of his siblings.
It runs on magic. The wizarding world doesn't understand things like Muggle radio or TV.

Don't know what to make of this. It seems like the Fantastic Beasts part of these new movies have increasing taken a backseat to stories more closely connected to the Harry Potter universe.

Title reveal for the third Fantastic Beasts movie

I'm still trying to figure out what "crimes" were shown in The Crimes of Grindelwald so I'm wondering if this The Secrets of Dumbledore will actually have any secrets in it at all. :think:

In any case, its another movie to watch with the kids, so that's always a plus.

The more fanfic I read, the less liking I have for Dumbledore.

Dumbledore was a shady, manipulative bastard. He was certainly a powerful, impressive and brilliant badass, but he was not at all the noble, benevolent, benefactor that he first appears to be. That's made clear in the story-proper, without even getting into the extended universe.

I'm still trying to figure out what "crimes" were shown in The Crimes of Grindelwald so I'm wondering if this The Secrets of Dumbledore will actually have any secrets in it at all. :think:
You already know what his crimes are; if you showed them on the screen you'd end up with tougher ratings for a film series that is meant to be family-friendly (see below):
Sommerswerd said:
In any case, its another movie to watch with the kids, so that's always a plus.
Don't you have enough children that they can babysit each other, i.e. more than 1, by this point?! ;)

I was having a pleasant conversation about fanfiction with someone on a Harry Potter YT channel, when this came up in my recommendations. It's not my preferred style of music, but it is a succinct summation of all 8 movies, and is a nice homage to Alan Rickman:

Yet another HP favorite has passed away.

If you really examine the character of Dumbledore, he was much darker than most people think. But Michael Gambon did a very good job of portraying him no matter how you interpret the character.

I stumbled across this Harry Potter Theory video yesterday. It's interesting how some of these theories make so much sense, yet most of us probably never considered them at the time we first watched the movies or read the books.

I'm really not a fan of Dumbledore anymore. He's either an idiot (leaving a baby out on a doorstep in October and not letting anyone know he was out there), or he's evasive (refusing to talk to Harry when he really wanted guidance), or malicious (he could easily have secured Sirius Black's release from Azkaban, but chose not to, and there were plenty of other people who could have cared for Harry).

It was sad to hear of Michael Gambon’s death, but I did think he was badly miscast as Dumbledore. Dumbledore is - or at least acts as - a whimsical eccentric with astonishingly garish fashion sense and a puckish sense of humour. But Gambon generally played dark, inscrutable roles, and seemed to me uncomfortable in this one. His Dumbledore always made me think of Rowan Williams trying to shout over a particularly bad-tempered synod. I thought that Richard Harris was a lot closer to how he is portrayed in the books, although he was a bit too reverential.

Apparently Patrick McGoohan was one of the actors originally considered for the role, but turned it down because of ill-health. Now he would have been very interesting!

Last edited:
It was sad to hear of Michael Gambon’s death, but I did think he was badly miscast as Dumbledore. Dumbledore is - or at least acts as - a whimsical eccentric with astonishingly garish fashion sense and a puckish sense of humour. But Gambon generally played dark, inscrutable roles, and seemed to me uncomfortable in this one. His Dumbledore always made me think of Rowan Williams trying to shout over a particularly bad-tempered synod. I thought that Richard Harris was a lot closer to how he is portrayed in the books, although he was a bit too reverential.

Apparently Patrick McGoohan was one of the actors originally considered for the role, but turned it down because of ill-health. Now he would have been very interesting!

I guess it's an advantage to not know what some of these actors have been in previously. I had no preconceived ideas about most of them. The only ones I'd seen in other movies and shows were John Hurt (I, Claudius, Doctor Who, and numerous movies), Kenneth Branagh (Shakespeare movies), Emma Thompson (Shakespeare movies), Helena Bonham-Carter (Lady Jane), David Tennant (Doctor Who), and Alan Rickman (Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves).

It wasn't until recently that I realized that Imelda Staunton had also been in Much Ado About Nothing. So I'd seen her previously as well, but had never bothered to find out who played her character.

Oh, and of course I'd seen Robbie Coltrane in something, but I'm still blanking on what it was.

Now, for some weird casting... Downton Abbey. Maggie Smith and Imelda Staunton in the first movie, playing adversaries. For a moment during one of their confrontations, I half-expected the wands to come out.

And Merlin. I'm half-tempted to write a fanfic in which Kilgharrah the Great Dragon (voiced by John Hurt) didn't really die, but rather transformed himself into Olivander the wandmaker.

To most parents, I should think, Imelda Staunton just is the Gruffalo. And the mouse. And everything else from Julia Donaldson.
:confused:

I honestly have no idea what any of that means. I've seen her in Harry Potter and in a Shakespeare movie and in Downton Abbey. I've no idea who Julia Donaldson is.

Julia Donaldson is by some margin the best-selling author in the UK - yes, ahead of J.K. Rowling. Her books are aimed at younger children, which is why the child-free are less aware of them, though I should think most people have at least heard of the Gruffalo. And Imelda Stanton reads the audiobook versions. Which means that the child-encumbered have heard her voice doing those characters so often it’s indelibly engraved into their brains.

Last edited:
Ah, okay. Honestly, I have never heard of anything called a Gruffalo. I assume it's a cross between a buffalo and something else?

Top Bottom