• Sith

Votes: 32 37.2%
  • Jedi

Votes: 51 59.3%
  • Chuck Norris

Votes: 3 3.5%

• Total voters
Spoiler :
They captured Leia to get at Kenobi, didn't they? They must know there is a connection. I suppose Kenobi many not have figured that out. I have not seen (or read, is that the graphic novel?) Rebels.
Spoiler :
I think Reva explained that by saying Kenobi was friends with the senator before the Empire and that he'd come out of hiding if harm came to an old associate? I am not entirely sure. Maybe you are right and they have critically overlooked the leap from "Kenobi is keeping an eye on his old friends" to "Kenobi was contacted by that old friend."

Spoiler :
One of the reviewers I like to listen to mentioned that the longer Leia is involved in the plot, the more it breaks established cannon. In the original Star Wars, Leia is an Imperial Senator who just recently went into open rebellion. But the more she is seen hanging out with Obi-Wan, a known jedi, well that would be a huge red flag. Now apparently Reva knows that Leia is force sensitive too. So how can she be a senator later and Vader/Palpatine allow it?

The show also needs to somehow explain that line Vader had in A New Hope about how the last time they met, he was the learner but now he is the master. But Vader seemed pretty dominate in their first meeting in this show. Maybe they have something up their sleeves to explain these inconsistencies but I'm not seeing how they can do it in a satisfying way.

Spoiler :
"I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you I was but the learner. Now, *I* am the master."

I agree this is slightly problematic, but I interpret the "When I left you" part as "When I left you as my master", which would've been in ep 3. I agree that whole line makes it sound like they haven't met since, but if you squint.. you can sort of imagine that Vader didn't really get a chance to prove that he was the master during the events of the show.. and maybe his training was not yet complete either. I mean, he couldn't even get through that fire, couldn't figure out how to properly kill Obi Wan and/or make him suffer, it did look like he wasn't really ready yet.. If they show us more of that sort of thing.. Him not really being ready yet.. i.e. not being a master.. then.. that sort of works.. even though the original quote was obviously written to imply that they haven't met since.. making the whole thing sort of stupid and unnecessary.

The problems w/ Leia I completely agree with, but assume that Reva is going to join the rebellion.. or something. Having said that, I know nothing about her, it's possible there's existing canon about her already in place that I don't know about..

I basically figured out why this show isn't very good though. And I mean, I'm still watching, it's not horrible. It just isn't very solid, and parts are questionable

They hired a bunch of writers to write this.. but told them it was going to be a cartoon, like the clone wars one.. So that's how they wrote it. Imagine the show as a cartoon, it works a lot better. Canon problems aside, a lot of the silly stuff that happens would have worked perfectly in a cartoon, IMO. Like the running scenes, they look so stupid in a live action format.. but in a cartoon? There's far sillier stuff that happened in Clone Wars that looked perfectly fine (in that medium).

It would also explain why the choreography has been so bad too, and some of the acting questionable... not to mention the special effects. . Don't you guys get the sense that Ewan McGregor is extremely overqualified for this show, compared to everybody else who we've seen so far? If this had been a cartoon, that would have been far less noticeable, since you don't even need actors.. and the choreography doesn't really matter.. and the special effects don't either..

So what the hell? Was this supposed to have been a cartoon initially and they changed their minds? What happened?

Spoiler :
They captured Leia to get at Kenobi, didn't they? They must know there is a connection. I suppose Kenobi many not have figured that out. I have not seen (or read, is that the graphic novel?) Rebels.
Spoiler :
Anakin/Vader and the Inquisitors were actively hunting Jedi who had survived the Purge, as well as newly emerged Force-sensitives. And they knew for sure that Kenobi had not been caught yet, because his body hadn't been added to their Murder-Mausoleum.

So even if not specifically mentioned in the show, it's not a stretch to assume that the Inquisitors would have collected as much information as possible on any known remaining targets, including details of any close relationships: standard police-work, so to speak. So they would have known (from Vader if no-one else) that Kenobi and Bail Organa had been friends, and (I think?) Kenobi is also the only surviving Jedi that Bail knew well (haven't seen any of Rebels yet, I'm still on S6 of TCW!). So it was a good bet that Bail might request Kenobi's "particular set of skills" (yes, they are doing Taken!) to get Leia back from her kidnappers.

But yeah, this whole kidnapping-plotline hasn't been thought through very well for back-compatibility with the films. ANH-Leia's message to Kenobi makes specific reference to his acquaintance with her (adoptive) father, but we can infer from OWK that Bail had never told her about Kenobi prior to her kidnapping.

And by making OWK canon, the scriptwriters have blithely ignored the obvious implication that ANH-Leia's primary touchstone when asking for Kenobi's help (again!), would then surely be his rescue-mission during her own kidnapping-ordeal (9-10 years previously), rather than his activity/friendships during the Clone Wars (20+ years previously)...

Spoiler :
Episode 5 was a lot better, IMO, but I'm on strong pain medication so I might be biased. I don't know why they went ahead with greenlighting such a clunky way to set everything up (in the first 4 eps). I guess they figure people will give them money regardless..

In a way they are retconning some of the stuff that happened in ep. 4, but pretending that they aren't. That feels a bit.. jagged. But this week's episode was entertaining and well put together, I thought. Although Reva approached Vader wrong from the back.. Why not just activate the lightsaber right through the stomach? I mean, I know why, because Vader will live.. but...it just seemed like she should have had a better plan to take him down. What she did wasn't much of a plan. She should have known she wouldn't be able to surprise him like that

Spoiler Episode 5 :
I find it odd that Obi-Wan would tell Anakin that his need to prove himself is his 'undoing' so he will remain a padawan. So in order to prove that you can be a jedi, you have to not prove yourself?

:crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye:

No wonder why he went to the dark side.

Spoiler :
I believe the point was that a Jedi doesn't strive to prove himself as a motivation, and that's what Anakin was doing

Spoiler :
Sure, but Obi-Wan was dangling the rank of Jedi as motivation which goes against the lesson he was trying to give Anakin.

A Jedi would probably say: "But that's like your interpretation of the situation, man"

It makes sense to me that in order to achive a rank, you need to meet certain qualifications, and that it'd be impossible to not do a bit of dangling, since that's the goal after all.

"Try not! Do. Or do not! There is no 'try'."

Haven't seen jack but I'm guessing it's less the ambition itself that's being condemned than how pride is fueling a superiority complex. Something something master yourself before you can master the Force.

I'd have to agree that the biggest hurdle of Kenobi is the writing. I expected something that would resonate in a more grand and cinematic way with me and warrant a 6 hour runtime. I'm also probably in a minority saying this, but Darth Vader doesn't look or feel scary to me; his stand off with Reva is the silliest duel I have ever watched in SW. The editing and cinematography was atrocious. Were they doing aerobics, for crying out loud? :lol:

To be fair, StarWars was always rather simplistic and just a space opera. The original trilogy had great special effects and some style, which set it apart in this genre, but overall the story is forgettable and it was always filled with ploys (destruction of the Death Star probably takes the cake there).

It still doesn't mean that the fans are wrong to just dislike something. But the second trilogy also was disliked - while now, compared to the third trilogy, it is seen as better. Then again those stupid jedi would have been dead in the opening scenes if the trade federation bothered to buy more droidekas :p

To be fair, StarWars was always rather simplistic and just a space opera.
Oh, it was more than that, but definitely it's gone downhill since Disney.

Oh, it was more than that, but definitely it's gone downhill since Disney.

The second trilogy was imo already pretty terrible, despite being filmed (by?) with a story by Lucas who should have cared about the project. And I do recall that back in the day it wasn't well-received at all.

I haven't watched any of the Disney SW, but I have heard of a few hideous moments there, including the infamous
Spoiler :
"warping" just means "going really REALLY fast"; I guess there are no obstacles between you and your destination.

Of this Kenobi series, the stuff I have seen in videos are really damning. I like a comment about Reva's plan:

Spoiler :
Reva decides to spend a decade of her life to be an imperial inquisitor, hoping to take revenge against Darth Vader for killing children in the temple of the Jedi - and along the way kills tens of children herself as an inquisitor.

Sounds like sloppy writing, but again the Lucas second trilogy isn't known for its intellectual vigor either.

Last edited:
Of this Kenobi series, the stuff I have seen in videos are really damning. I like a comment about Reva's plan:

Spoiler :
Reva decides to spend a decade of her life to be an imperial inquisitor, hoping to take revenge against Darth Vader for killing children in the temple of the Jedi - and along the way kills tens of children herself as an inquisitor.

Sounds like sloppy writing, but again the Lucas second trilogy isn't known for its intellectual vigor either.
Spoiler :
The thing that got me was she spent a decade getting to that position, and then choose to strike just AFTER Kenobi had been distracting him. Seriously, Kenobi had left some amount of time before she struck. Did she not realise she had missed the oportunity and she should wait for another?

Spoiler :
The thing that got me was she spent a decade getting to that position, and then choose to strike just AFTER Kenobi had been distracting him. Seriously, Kenobi had left some amount of time before she struck. Did she not realise she had missed the oportunity and she should wait for another?

Nothing really works in that entire scene (/episode/series? :) ). For example:

Spoiler :
makes no sense that Vader can bring down one ship, but is left staring like an idiot when the other goes up. Or that he couldn't sense that the first ship was empty. Or that Reva tried to sneak up by having the light saber expand before it was on his back. Or that Vader suddenly got all his force back. Or that he - again - left Reva without bothering to check if she died.

I agree with some people's conclusion, that this series isn't about Kenobi, but Reva. But calling the series "Reva" wouldn't be good for ads, so false advertising was deemed to be preferable. Then again, what story did Reva have in the first place, needing to be told? A collection of inconsistencies and no clear reason why she is even alive;
Spoiler :
if Vader could see 10 years into the future, I suppose the plot of the original trilogy is that he was tricking Palpatine all along :D

Put your credit cards away, you're too late: The original "Red Leader" X-Wing model from Star Wars (1977) sold at auction yesterday for $2,300,000. 22" long, original paint job. It even still had the scorch mark on the engine where he got shot by Vader.

Top Bottom